Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 160742 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #2765 on: July 03, 2014, 08:31:57 AM »
Heart - Heartless

It's easy to forget that Heart does have a few other classic rock staples, outside of the aforementioned and featured Big 3, but while this might not be the staple the others are, it is a song a lot of classic rock stations played over the years.  It's easy to see why it didn't reach the status of those others, but it's still a good, enjoyable song.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2766 on: July 03, 2014, 08:45:51 AM »
 :heart

Check out this performance of it from 1976! Wow, Ann is just terrific!

:omg: What the hell is the bass player wearing?  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2767 on: July 03, 2014, 09:03:49 AM »
Yeah, it's not one of my absolute faves of theirs, but Heart can almost do no wrong in my eyes.  Really good song.  :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2768 on: July 03, 2014, 09:54:05 AM »
Yeah, it's not one of my absolute faves of theirs, but Heart can almost do no wrong in my eyes.  Really good song.  :tup

Word.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2769 on: July 03, 2014, 11:18:41 AM »
Good hard rockin' tune.  I love the acoustic interlude in this song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2770 on: July 03, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
Whoa, I forgot about that.  One of the things I like about Heart is the contrast between their acoustic and electric sides.  But other than the song "Dog and Butterfly" I think all of their hits are pretty much straight-on rock.  Even "Alone" which is pretty mellow, is still more in the "power ballad" genre.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2771 on: July 03, 2014, 11:32:23 AM »
I love when a band does that.  Rush --Driven & Pineapple Thief - Tightly Wound for some modern takes on the acoustic interludes.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2772 on: July 03, 2014, 11:33:19 AM »
I remember seeing Heart in Nashville at the fairgrounds.  They played a few of the songs on the Magazine cd.  Ann Wilson was flying high that night.  Found out later she was into cocaine like a lot of other musicians at that time.   
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2773 on: July 04, 2014, 08:41:29 AM »
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Tuesday's Gone

Great song, and while it is easy to get sucked in by the vocal hook and the guitar lead, the latter of which is pretty much the hook of the song, the piano solo and mellotron work in this song really stand out, and elevate it from good to great.  This is easily one of their two or three best tunes.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2774 on: July 04, 2014, 09:01:12 AM »
I adore this song. If there's one thing to like about Metallica's version, it's that it forced local radio to finally start playing it, and I fell in love with it from first listen. Not just my favorite Skynyrd song, but one of my favorites of the 1970s period.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2775 on: July 04, 2014, 09:31:31 AM »
At one time I was a HUGE Skynyrd fan.  While that has definitely lessened over time, this song remains a classic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2776 on: July 04, 2014, 10:13:52 AM »
This must be one of those which I don't know by name but would recognize if I heard it.  The title definitely doesn't sound familiar, and I think I've pretty much heard all of Skynard's hits.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2777 on: July 04, 2014, 10:25:07 AM »
There is nothing to dislike about this song.  I concur with Kev... it's one of my Top 3 Skynyrd tunes too.  Can't stand the Metallica version - this was meant to be a bluesy rock song, not a metal-ballad.  The guitar tone - as thought it's constantly weeping - is what makes the track for me.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2778 on: July 04, 2014, 10:33:21 AM »
There is nothing to dislike about this song.  I concur with Kev... it's one of my Top 3 Skynyrd tunes too.  Can't stand the Metallica version - this was meant to be a bluesy rock song, not a metal-ballad.  The guitar tone - as thought it's constantly weeping - is what makes the track for me.

The Metallica version isn't remotely metal, it's actually lighter than the Skynyrd version if anything. It's not a bad cover given that it's not their style at all, though it's got nothing on the original of course. :tup

This must be one of those which I don't know by name but would recognize if I heard it.  The title definitely doesn't sound familiar, and I think I've pretty much heard all of Skynard's hits.

I'm sure you'd recognize it the second you hear that intro guitar melody.

I'm only familiar with a few Skynyrd songs, since radio in this country only plays Sweet Home Alabama, but I've always really liked this one since the first time I heard it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2779 on: July 04, 2014, 10:36:16 AM »
This must be one of those which I don't know by name but would recognize if I heard it. 

:eek :eek :eek :eek

Considering you are one of THE classic rock aficionados around here, I am shocked that you don't know this one simply by the title.  Shocked.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2780 on: July 04, 2014, 12:20:09 PM »
Whoa.  So I YouTube searched it, and am listening to it right now.  It sounds familiar, but that's it.  A slow waltz?  Sorry, but this one's not working for me.  Honestly, kinda boring.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2781 on: July 04, 2014, 12:43:06 PM »
I rarely listen to LS any more, but always loved this song. Not much more to add.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2782 on: July 04, 2014, 03:54:24 PM »
Not a fan of southern rock at all.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2783 on: July 04, 2014, 06:55:09 PM »

Me too, except for a couple of tunes from 38 special

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2784 on: July 04, 2014, 07:36:50 PM »

Me too, except for a couple of tunes from 38 special

That is so funny because I almost typed that!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2785 on: July 05, 2014, 12:09:04 PM »
America - Tin Man

Okay, I should have featured a song by America yesterday, when it was the 4th of July, but better late than never, right? :facepalm: :lol

Anyhoooo, I love this tune.  I just love the laid back vibe of it, and for whatever reason, it reminds me of our family picnics we always had when we were kids.  And being that our family is Irish-Catholic, we have a big family, so those picnics were always big occasions.  So much fun. #nostalgia :coolio :hat

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2786 on: July 05, 2014, 08:52:58 PM »
America had a lot of great sounding songs... with lyrics that didn't always survive closer scrutiny.  As far as I know, however, this one makes sense.  Good song overall, too.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2787 on: July 06, 2014, 04:23:54 AM »
Don't know it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2788 on: July 06, 2014, 10:48:37 AM »
Van Halen - And the Cradle Will Rock...

Ah, another classic from the early VH days.  The cool keyboard effect that is heard throughout the song, which sounds just like a guitar, was new at the time, but otherwise it's standard early VH fare, meaning it's a highly enjoyable, fun rock tune. :metal

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2789 on: July 06, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »
Heartless: Love it. Love Heart (at least what I've heard... The bigger hits)

Tuesday's Gone:  Love it.

Also love Metallica's version because it also has Jerry Contrell and Les Claypool, and a bunch other peeps playing on it.

Tin Man: Don't know if I've ever heard it

The Van Halen thing: Meh
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2790 on: July 06, 2014, 04:14:15 PM »
I wouldn't say that this is one of Van Halen's best, but it is certainly a fun song.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2791 on: July 06, 2014, 04:55:06 PM »
Fun, hard rockin' tune that always gets me pumped up.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2792 on: July 06, 2014, 05:39:18 PM »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2793 on: July 06, 2014, 06:34:32 PM »

Ayup... that about sums it up.  Great track... never skip it when it comes in rotation on the iPod or on the radio.  One of my favorite early VH tunes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2794 on: July 06, 2014, 11:23:58 PM »
Genesis - Turn It On Again

Genesis doesn't get much airplay on most classic rock stations - most of their 70s was too proggy or obscure, and most of their 80s stuff was too pop rock-ish - but Turn It On Again has always been a mainstay, and for good reason, as it's a great tune, not to mention catchy as hell.  Phil Collins probably has many songs that demonstrate what a good drummer he was in his heyday, but I've always loved the groove he lays down in this song.  Put this song in the hands of an average drummer and it wouldn't have nearly as much drive and power.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2795 on: July 07, 2014, 05:12:48 AM »
I appreciate this song a lot more now than I used to.  Nice groove, like you mentioned.  Classic.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2796 on: July 07, 2014, 06:00:25 AM »
Love this tune.  It has such a nice build up and I love Phi'ls passion in his singing on this song.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2797 on: July 07, 2014, 06:27:18 AM »
I really like this song, as I like the whole Duke album.

And I love it when songs with odd time signatures don't sound like it.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2798 on: July 07, 2014, 07:12:41 AM »
Yep, the main riff and verses are 13/4 (6/4 + 7/4 is probably the easiest way to count it) in B, then it moves up a half step to C in the bass and kicks into straight 4/4 at the same time ("I could show you, I could show you").  This adds tension, which is somewhat resolved as they drop back to B, still in straight 4/4, and with different chords ("It's driving me mad...").  Then it throw in bars of 3/4 ("I... I...") two and three times.  But it all flows past you with a straight beat and steady meter, so only music geek like me realize (or care) what's going on.  Also, it's two long verses and a single chorus, which is kinda weird, too.

This is one of my favorite Genesis songs.  It's like how Rush manages to score radio hits with pop songs that are accessible enough to get radio play, but really are prog if you dig into them.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2799 on: July 07, 2014, 09:04:58 AM »
Terrible song, but then, it's Genesis, so what else would I expect.  /minority opinion.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'