Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 158598 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #2835 on: July 14, 2014, 07:58:17 AM »
Led Zeppelin - Fool in the Rain

I was still very early in my Zeppelin fandom when I first heard this song on the radio, and I have to admit that my reaction was along the lines of "holy shit, this is awesome!!"  Unfortunately, every time I heard the song for weeks, they never said the name of it, so my attempt to find out the name of it so I could buy the CD was futile.  Asking several friends who knew Zeppelin didn't work either, probably since my attempt to describe the song was probably not good, especially since there is no main vocal line to grab on to and identify to them as such.  Eventually, I found out the name, although I don't remember how, but In Through the Out Door quickly became a part of my CD collection right away, and over 20 years later, this is still one of my favorite LZ tunes.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2836 on: July 14, 2014, 08:57:34 AM »
I love the signature Bonham drum style, the keyboard work board work by JPJ and the unique guitar effects by JP. I really don't like Plant's vocals on this song and it really ruins it for me. His voice just sounds so weak and out of tune to me. This song is near the very bottom of Zep tunes, if not the absolute basement: which isn't nearly as bad as it sounds.  :)
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2837 on: July 14, 2014, 10:44:06 AM »
I enjoy the song, but it's mediocre (at best) by Zeppelin standards (imo).  All you had to do was say "Latin Zeppelin", and everyone would've known instantly which song you meant.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2838 on: July 14, 2014, 10:46:33 AM »
I enjoy the song, but it's mediocre (at best) by Zeppelin standards (imo). 
I'm with you.  I'm a huge Zeppelin fan, but this one is a channel-changer for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2839 on: July 14, 2014, 11:25:33 AM »
I kinda like this one.  The main riff isn't mind-blowing, but I like the double-tempo break, followed by the cool doubling effect on the guitar solo.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2840 on: July 14, 2014, 12:14:03 PM »
I'm not surprised that the reception to this one isn't overly positive, but it really was the song that made me a bigger LZ fan, so there's that nostalgia thing again. :lol :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2841 on: July 14, 2014, 12:18:39 PM »
I'm not surprised that the reception to this one isn't overly positive, but it really was the song that made me a bigger LZ fan, so there's that nostalgia thing again. :lol :biggrin:

And that's always a great thing.  It's certainly not the worst song on ITTOD, and being the commercial release from their final album, it still gets a generous amount of radio airtime today.  I don't skip the channel when it comes up, but it's not something I ever specifically reach for.  When I go to ITTOD, it's Carouselambra all the way.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2842 on: July 14, 2014, 08:28:51 PM »
Love Zep and I actually enjoy this song. The Bonham Half Shuffle is legendary and still emulated. For me the whole style of the song showed terrific range.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2843 on: July 14, 2014, 08:35:24 PM »
Middle tier song from Zep but like Temp said, that drum shuffle is amazing.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2844 on: July 14, 2014, 08:45:06 PM »
My all time favourite Led Zep song.

(Ok... maybe tied with In The Light... )
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #2845 on: July 15, 2014, 12:28:12 AM »
Mediocre song on a mediocre album. Led Zep were clearly on the decline.

When I go to ITTOD, it's Carouselambra all the way.

That is the one gem to be found.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2846 on: July 15, 2014, 06:37:00 AM »
Favorite song from ITOD

As far as Have A Cigar, awesome song. Has Waters or Gilmour ever sang that song live?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2847 on: July 15, 2014, 08:16:28 AM »
Boston - Something About You

While still a classic radio mainstay, like every song from their self-titled debut, this is easily one of the two songs that seems to get talked about the least.  It's a song everybody knows, but rarely talks about it, probably because it is seen as not as totally awesome as most of the others, but it is still a fantastic song.  I love the soft intro that leads into that soaring guitar lead that kicks the song into rocking gear.  Brad Delp's vocals are spot on as always, and the guitar solo, which is short and sweet, is one of those that is so memorable and melodic that you can almost hum it without the song even playing. :coolio

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2848 on: July 15, 2014, 08:39:16 AM »
This is actually my favorite from their debut...now. It wasn't originally but over the years I came to love it: Probably because it doesn't have the clichιd  Boston formula of song writing.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2849 on: July 15, 2014, 08:46:44 AM »
Favorite song from ITOD

As far as Have A Cigar, awesome song. Has Waters or Gilmour ever sang that song live?

I think Roger has been known to pull it out during his solo shows.

I wouldn't call it live though. :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2850 on: July 15, 2014, 09:16:58 AM »
Boston - Something About You

While still a classic radio mainstay, like every song from their self-titled debut, this is easily one of the two songs that seems to get talked about the least.  It's a song everybody knows, but rarely talks about it, probably because it is seen as not as totally awesome as most of the others, but it is still a fantastic song.  I love the soft intro that leads into that soaring guitar lead that kicks the song into rocking gear.  Brad Delp's vocals are spot on as always, and the guitar solo, which is short and sweet, is one of those that is so memorable and melodic that you can almost hum it without the song even playing. :coolio
Great song.  It says a lot about the strength of Boston's early output that this song is not regarded as highly as some others.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2851 on: July 15, 2014, 10:06:57 AM »
This is actually my favorite from their debut...now. It wasn't originally but over the years I came to love it: Probably because it doesn't have the clichιd  Boston formula of song writing.

Good point.  It has a different sound to it that's still Boston but not formula Boston.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2852 on: July 15, 2014, 10:39:38 AM »

Good point.  It has a different sound to it that's still Boston but not formula Boston.

Not that there's any thing wrong with those other songs. It's just that over the years, and many many listens, the acoustic riff/acoustic riff/electric riff got to be too predictable. Terrific riffs though!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2853 on: July 15, 2014, 11:30:42 AM »
Okay, but that is the result of oversaturation and whatnot.  At the time, there was nothing cliched or predictable about any of that stuff on their debut album.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2854 on: July 15, 2014, 03:44:47 PM »
Great tune!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2855 on: July 15, 2014, 04:16:42 PM »
Some albums like this one, The Cars self titled, Back In Black, Escape, Moving Pictures seem to never get old to me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2856 on: July 15, 2014, 05:35:14 PM »
My favorite song off of Boston beyond the big three songs from it. Hugely underrated tune and simply doesn't get enough airplay around these parts, which tends to favor either Smokin' or Hitch A Ride when it goes deeper into the debut. Love those harmony guitars.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2857 on: July 16, 2014, 08:11:31 AM »
What do you consider the three big songs from it?  I assume More Than a Feeling and Foreplay/Long Time are two of them, but is (the as yet-to-be featured in this thread) Peace of Mind or Rock and Roll Band the third? 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2858 on: July 16, 2014, 08:29:50 AM »
I would imagine Peace of Mind.  At least, it's that way down here.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2859 on: July 16, 2014, 08:52:48 AM »
The original side one, yeah. More Than A Feeling, Peace of Mind, and Foreplay/Long Time.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2860 on: July 16, 2014, 09:45:18 AM »
Funny that you mention Side 1, and I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but when I first was blown to shreds by Foreplay/Long Time, I bought the cassette of Boston and it looked like this:

Side 1:

More Than a Feeling
Peace of Mind
Something About You
Let Me Take You Home Tonight

Side 2:

Rock and Roll Band
Smokin'
Hitch a Ride
Foreplay/Long Time

Suffice it to say, when I got it on CD about a year or so later, I was thrown by this new weird running order. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2861 on: July 16, 2014, 09:47:43 AM »
That's the way I first experienced it as well.  :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2862 on: July 16, 2014, 10:32:40 AM »
You whippersnappers get off my lawn  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2863 on: July 16, 2014, 10:54:21 AM »
While I disagree in general with changing around the track order, I understand that they did it sometimes so things fit better on a cassette.  Also, in this case it's kinda cool, as the album ends with the longest track, the 2-song suite, so it's kinda like the mini-epic to end with.

But yeah, it's gotta be weird when you get used to a certain track order, then discover that the "real" order is different.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2864 on: July 16, 2014, 11:09:31 AM »
It was either that or "in order to maintain the continuity of songs, there are several minutes of blank tape at the end of side one." or however they said it.  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2865 on: July 16, 2014, 11:25:22 AM »
(that's why buying albums on cassette kinda sucked)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2866 on: July 16, 2014, 11:40:37 AM »
Okay, I am gonna do another fun little thing to keep this thread kind of interesting, and that is start featuring deeper cuts by classic rock artists.  In other words, I will feature songs that maybe are still played on the radio on occasion, or were played on the radio at the time the album was out, or maybe even ones that were never played on the radio but are loved by fans of the band.  It's basically an excuse to talk about great songs from back then that aren't classic rock staples.  I won't put a timetable on this.  Away we go...

Deep Purple - Lazy

Pretty cool song.  I don't go nuts over it like a few (older) friends of mine do, but I do like it quite a bit.  It definitely has that kind of loose jam feel that was so prevalent in the late 60s/early 70s.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)
« Reply #2867 on: July 16, 2014, 11:46:49 AM »
Love it! I'm just like one of your friends who go crazy over it (except that I'm not old  ;) ).

I was singing along with this song a few years ago and Mrs. P asked my what they meant by, "...she don't want no bread." When I told her it was a pretty common 'trendy' euphemism for money she claimed she'd never heard of that before. She's only four years younger than me! I guess some folks weren't paying attention in the 70's

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2868 on: July 16, 2014, 12:00:26 PM »
I like the song, love the Hammond jamming of course, but I always found it jarring that there's the whole jam at the beginning, then it suddenly changes key when the vocals come in.  Very weird.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2869 on: July 16, 2014, 12:08:53 PM »
Love it! I'm just like one of your friends who go crazy over it (except that I'm not old  ;) ).

Pretty much. Love this song.

Also, Kev, it's very fitting you've posted it today, 16th of July, the very day Jon Lord passed away two years ago.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.