Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 158590 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)
« Reply #3010 on: August 05, 2014, 10:11:44 AM »
I always loved when The Moody Blues would have a flute solo.  Flute was one of my first instruments, and hearing it used it rock and roll on the radio gave me hope.

Timothy Leary's dead.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3011 on: August 06, 2014, 07:34:14 AM »
Good to see you dig it, Orbert, but, you and I aside, the lack of appreciation from others for this song makes me sad.  :|

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3012 on: August 06, 2014, 09:24:59 AM »
It's too deep for them.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3013 on: August 06, 2014, 10:18:43 AM »
Just never liked them. Sorry.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3014 on: August 06, 2014, 12:01:02 PM »
Molly Hatchet - Fall of the Peacemakers

From what I've been told about this song, while it was popular here in St. Louis, it didn't catch on in a lot of other places, mainly because it was 1983 and this kind of southern rock really wasn't what people wanted anymore, but to me, it sounds like vintage 70s southern rock and is a fantastic song.  I am not even that big a fan of southern rock, but this band has a handful of songs I really like, and this is one of them.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3015 on: August 06, 2014, 02:03:25 PM »
Never heard it.

Not a big fan of Molly Hatchett, though.  But certainly never heard it on any classic rock radio around here.  But knowing what I do about that band, it doesn't surprise me in the least that it sounds like something older than what it is.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #3016 on: August 06, 2014, 02:18:23 PM »
Favorite Molly Hatchet song, even if by 1983 a near nine minute long variation on the Free Bird structure (ballad start-long uptempo guitar coda) was basically doomed to failure. Pretty fair to call this traditional Southern Rock's last gasp, since Hatchet took the synths and pop songs track on their next album. But what a way for an era to go  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3017 on: August 06, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »
That song title sounds like something from Blind Guardian.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3018 on: August 07, 2014, 07:31:38 AM »
Jaq, I figured you and/or Orbert would be the only other ones who knew this one. :lol :coolio

Offline Jaq

« Reply #3019 on: August 07, 2014, 08:05:46 AM »
I would've went with me myself.  Molly Hatchet just seems more up my alley  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3020 on: August 07, 2014, 12:16:33 PM »
It is, certainly more than mine.  I've heard some Molly Hatchet, even checked out an album of theirs once (I don't remember which one) and it was good.  Some nice, tasty guitar work.  But I guess they just didn't stick with me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3021 on: August 08, 2014, 07:46:47 AM »
Ozzy Osbourne - Revelation (Mother Earth)

I have no idea how much this was played on the radio back in the day, if at all, but I know that this is undoubtedly the best solo song Ozzy ever did, IMO.  It has a little bit of everything, and does it all extremely well.  Outstanding tune. :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3022 on: August 08, 2014, 08:19:02 AM »
Pretty good song, but I've certainly never heard it on the radio around here.

:metal

Offline Jaq

« Reply #3023 on: August 08, 2014, 10:01:29 AM »
Never played on the radio here-deepest local radio got here with that album was Mr. Crowley, which isn't really what you'd call deep.  :lol Great song, though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3024 on: August 12, 2014, 07:58:06 AM »
Supertramp - Rudy

I don't think I've ever heard this on the radio, but it's on like every greatest hits they released, so it must have been a popular song of some sort back in the day.  It doesn't hurt that it's from Crime of the Century, which is mostly pretty terrific.  I've never really went out of my way to figure out what my favorite Supertramp song is, but if I did, this song might be it; it's that great.  It's a song that if I start listening to it, I never feel like not listening to it; I'll always listen to all of it.  And for being nearly 7 1/2 minutes, it doesn't feel like it. 

Offline Jaq

« Reply #3025 on: August 12, 2014, 08:04:01 AM »
Love me some early Supertramp, but I also never could figure out just why Rudy was on so many bloody compilation albums.  :lol The band's said Crime of the Century was their artistic high point, so maybe they just want the album properly represented since for most people Supertramp is Give A Little Bit and the whole of Breakfast in America, and if you asked most people they'd think Give A Little Bit was on that album too.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3026 on: August 12, 2014, 10:42:56 AM »
Yeah, another good song that I've never heard on the radio.  :biggrin:

Love some Supertramp.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3027 on: August 12, 2014, 12:11:24 PM »
You have all been cheated by life itself.  The FM station in Lansing, MI in the 70's had Rudy in its regular rotation for a while.  Great song!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3028 on: August 12, 2014, 03:45:06 PM »
Ozzy Osbourne - Revelation (Mother Earth)

I have no idea how much this was played on the radio back in the day, if at all, but I know that this is undoubtedly the best solo song Ozzy ever did, IMO.  It has a little bit of everything, and does it all extremely well.  Outstanding tune. :metal

Never played on the radio here but of course I played the crap out of the first 2 albums.  Good tune but on the lower end for the first album.

Supertramp - Rudy

I don't think I've ever heard this on the radio, but it's on like every greatest hits they released, so it must have been a popular song of some sort back in the day.  It doesn't hurt that it's from Crime of the Century, which is mostly pretty terrific.  I've never really went out of my way to figure out what my favorite Supertramp song is, but if I did, this song might be it; it's that great.  It's a song that if I start listening to it, I never feel like not listening to it; I'll always listen to all of it.  And for being nearly 7 1/2 minutes, it doesn't feel like it. 

Great album and such a great tune.  I wish I could have seen them in the late 70's.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC