Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 161355 times)

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #2625 on: June 17, 2014, 11:30:16 AM »
la la la la la can get annoying, but otherwise it's a great catchy tune.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2626 on: June 17, 2014, 11:30:39 AM »
My Dad had the 45 and it was my introduction to Elton so of course I like this tune a ton.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2627 on: June 17, 2014, 12:15:59 PM »
I worked with a guy once on a construction project for a parking garage, putting the foundations in.

One day he sang the "la la la la" part of Crocodile Rock for six straight hours.

I hate that fucking song now.  :lol

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2628 on: June 17, 2014, 02:01:59 PM »
Good Billy Squire song. Saw him open for Bad Company and Styx, he put on a fun show.

I hate that Elton song, hate it, hate it, hate it. Unlike Kev, I cannot see why anyone would like it.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2629 on: June 18, 2014, 04:23:40 AM »
It's a hell of a catchy song. I enjoy it

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2630 on: June 18, 2014, 06:57:13 AM »
No love for Crocodile Rock here.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2631 on: June 18, 2014, 08:28:24 AM »
The Rolling Stones - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

This song contains one of the most well-known riffs in rock history and, some would say, the first monster riff in a popular rock song.  It's hard to argue with that, being that it came out in 1965, and given how recognizable the song and riff both are.  I like the song, but I can't say it's ever been a favorite.  Its classic status is more than deserved, regardless.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2632 on: June 18, 2014, 09:13:55 AM »

This song contains one of the most well-known riffs in rock history and, some would say, the first monster riff in a popular rock song.  It's hard to argue with that, being that it came out in 1965, and given how recognizable the song and riff both are.  I like the song, but I can't say it's ever been a favorite.  Its classic status is more than deserved, regardless.

Spot on.  Probably a lot of people of my generation were introduced to the Stones through this song.  It's one of (if not) the first Stones tunes I remember hearing.  In the mid-80s this (along with a handful of others) were the staples playing on the rock stations I listened to, and usually the top Stones tune on the regular Top (insert # here) songs of all time countdowns.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2633 on: June 18, 2014, 09:30:16 AM »
Yep, that about sums it up.  Sometimes you just had to be there, and then.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2634 on: June 18, 2014, 11:23:41 AM »
Meh
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2635 on: June 18, 2014, 01:30:40 PM »
Yep, that about sums it up.  Sometimes you just had to be there, and then.

Usually true, but this is one of those songs that people 100 years from now are going to look back on as one of the best songs in that nebulous genre of 'rock n roll.'

If you held a gun to my head and told me to pick the greatest rock song ever, and I didn't pick Stairway to Heaven, I would pick this.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2636 on: June 19, 2014, 04:29:38 AM »
There are other greater Stones songs in my view, but there's still no denying how influential this song is

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2637 on: June 19, 2014, 07:26:10 AM »
Definitely big, definitely influential, and if I never heard it again, that definitely be OK with me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2638 on: June 19, 2014, 09:05:20 AM »
There are other greater Stones songs in my view, but there's still no denying how influential this song is

Most certainly.  There are LOTS of Stones songs that are better.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2639 on: June 19, 2014, 09:05:33 AM »
The Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps

I like this song, but I don't love it.  It always seems like most people love it to death, largely because of the epic guitar solo by Eric Clapton, but while I think it is cool, it simply doesn't make it a Beatles song I revisit very often.  Maybe it gets lost for me in the middle of all of those great lesser-known songs on Disc 1 of the White Album, but it's always been I song I just liked.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2640 on: June 19, 2014, 09:10:20 AM »
For me, this suffers the same fate as Rocky Mountain Way.  It was covered by Jeff Healey back in the day, and so now, Canadian radio stations only play that version to contribute to their Canadian content requirements.  Can't remember the last time I heard the Beatles version.

And I hate Jeff Heaely.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2641 on: June 19, 2014, 09:59:03 AM »
I kinda thought Jeff Healey was cool when he first came on the scene years ago.  He had a cool sound, bluesy, kinda dirty.  But it didn't take long for me to realize that all his songs sounded like that, and to me that made them all sound the same.  When I hear his version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", I don't hear the song, I hear Jeff Healey.  Anything he does, I don't hear the song, I just hear Jeff Healey.

Anyway, I like this song a lot.  I always thought it was interesting that it's a George Harrison song, but it starts with a classic piano line by Paul, and features a solo not by George.

Trivia: George and Eric were good friends of course, and George asked Eric to play the solo, but the one thing he could not do was use a wah-wah pedal.  Wah-wah was everywhere at the time, and would have been perfect for a "weeping guitar" sound, but that's exactly why George didn't want it.  Too cliché.  So Eric came up with a sound and a way to play the solo to sound reminiscent of a weeping guitar without using a wah-wah pedal.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2642 on: June 19, 2014, 10:25:16 AM »
And I hate Jeff Heaely.

no love for Angel Eyes?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2643 on: June 19, 2014, 10:56:44 AM »
Gonna go for a less obvious cover version: the instrumental version by Vinnie Moore from his Time Odyssey album, an album which featured keyboards by one Mr. Jordan Rudess.  :biggrin:

Great song, of course. Remember as a youngster hearing this song, not knowing Clapton played the solo-hell at the time I may have been at best vaguely aware Eric Clapton existed-and yet still figuring out none of the Beatles played it.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2644 on: June 19, 2014, 11:03:46 AM »
Great song, and I also like Jeff Healey and his cover of it, so bite me lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2645 on: June 19, 2014, 11:29:05 AM »
The Beatles - While My Guitar Gently Weeps

I like this song, but I don't love it.  It always seems like most people love it to death, largely because of the epic guitar solo by Eric Clapton, but while I think it is cool, it simply doesn't make it a Beatles song I revisit very often.  Maybe it gets lost for me in the middle of all of those great lesser-known songs on Disc 1 of the White Album, but it's always been I song I just liked.

Love this tune.

And I hate Jeff Heaely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqWADN0UubA
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2646 on: June 19, 2014, 04:10:21 PM »

Exactly this. Well said  :hefdaddy
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2647 on: June 19, 2014, 11:04:54 PM »

I like Devo's version better. It's more suited to their style.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2648 on: June 20, 2014, 08:45:29 AM »
The Who - Behind Blue Eyes

I've always liked this song a lot.  I really like the contract of the soft acoustic parts and the rocking middle section; the song is very dynamic in that respect.  Of the well-known songs from Who's Next, this is easily my 2nd favorite (behind the already-discussed Baba O'Riley).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2649 on: June 20, 2014, 08:47:49 AM »
LOVE this song, and was thrilled to see them play it as one of the encores during their Quadrophenia tour in the 90s.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2650 on: June 20, 2014, 08:52:39 AM »
In my mind, this is the best The Who song ever put to tape! In fact, Who's Next is the only album of theirs I currently own largely on the strength of this song. Awesome vocal performance by Daltrey!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2651 on: June 20, 2014, 08:56:13 AM »
Fantastic song, and one that sometimes gets lost in their list of 'greatest hits' despite deserving a top 3 spot. This one will never get old.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2652 on: June 20, 2014, 08:56:31 AM »
Yep, I should have mentioned more about Daltrey's vocals, but this is definitely a great performance.  I love his voice starts to show a little fury in the 2nd verse, as the music stays soft; it's like it's letting you know that the song is on the verge of exploding.  "And I blame you!"

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2653 on: June 20, 2014, 10:18:25 AM »
Not much to add.  Great song from a great album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2654 on: June 21, 2014, 12:35:48 PM »
Ozzy Osbourne - Flying High Again

Good song, from my favorite Ozzy solo album.  Maybe it's because I was so nutty about the non-hits when I first got Diary of a Madman, but this has always been a song I viewed as good, but not one I really went out of my way to hear.  Granted, classic rock radio played the shit out of it back in my radio listening days, so I never really had to go out of my way to hear it. :lol :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2655 on: June 21, 2014, 02:39:58 PM »
Completely love this one. And it was so true of our life-style at the time. A truly relevant anthem for my generation and completely kicks @ss.

:metal

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2656 on: June 21, 2014, 04:18:08 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of Ozzy's solo stuff, but I kinda like this one.  Great guitar work, good beat, catchy song overall.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2657 on: June 21, 2014, 04:58:28 PM »
Not bad, for Ozzy.  Not a huge fan.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2658 on: June 21, 2014, 05:31:35 PM »
One of my faves from OO.  Crazy Train always got more air time up here, so it was a special treat when this got into the radio rotation.  Love this track.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2659 on: June 21, 2014, 07:35:51 PM »
While I prefer Blizzard of Ozz, Flying High Again was actually the first song with Randy Rhoads playing on it I ever heard, and was the source of my first "holy shit who is that guy playing guitar?" moment involving him, so it will always have a soft spot in my musical heart. There's actually a ton of songs on Diary I like better than it, though-Over The Mountain, You Can't Kill Rock And Roll, Tonight, the title track-which says a lot about how good Diary was.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.