Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 161287 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #2590 on: June 14, 2014, 09:10:33 AM »
Grand Funk Railroad - I'm Your Captain/Closer to Home

I knew this song for years, but I have to admit that when I first started accumulating songs on my hard drive and got this, I was stunned when I saw that it was over 10 minutes.  I guess I never thought about it, but to me it always sounded like one of those late 60s'early 70s tunes that was a fast, catchy, short tune.  I probably never realized that it was two different songs that ran together.  Anyway, really good song.  I admittedly never go out of my way to listen to it, but it's still pretty darn good.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2591 on: June 14, 2014, 09:29:16 AM »
Knocking On Your Back Door is a hell of a way to open up a terrific reunion album

I also really like I'm Your Captain, even though I don't really get what's happening in the song. It kind of sounds to me like the guy is being mutinied and then thrown overboard is my best guess

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2592 on: June 14, 2014, 10:13:52 AM »
Yeah, I think he's being taken out.  "Closer to Home" is pretty much a snoozefest to me.  Too repetitive and just doesn't really go anywhere.  If you like it, it's great; if you don't, it's just too much.  Kinda like the second part of "Layla".  It's pretty, but just goes on too long.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2593 on: June 14, 2014, 11:06:53 AM »
I had Closer to Home stuck in my head for a straight week once.

If it happens again I blame you, Kev.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2594 on: June 15, 2014, 04:55:43 AM »
Grand Funk is a great band, and this is a fantastic song.  Always one of my classic rock faves.  :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2595 on: June 15, 2014, 05:11:37 AM »
Yeah, I think he's being taken out.  "Closer to Home" is pretty much a snoozefest to me.  Too repetitive and just doesn't really go anywhere.  If you like it, it's great; if you don't, it's just too much.  Kinda like the second part of "Layla".  It's pretty, but just goes on too long.

Agreed Bob.  Hey Jude also suffers from this.  Fortunately, I enjoy I'm Your Captain enough that it's not a bother.  Layla on the other hand goes about 3 minutes longer than it needs to.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2596 on: June 15, 2014, 05:15:05 AM »
Such a classic.  Just when music was expanding it's horizons we got songs like this from GFR.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2597 on: June 15, 2014, 08:27:35 AM »
Trevor Rabin - Now

Many don't know it, but prior to his tenure with Yes, Rabin released three solo albums, and even had a minor hit on rock stations with Now, which has stayed on in some markets as an obscure classic.  Good song, and while many often scoffed at him being Yes, when you listen to the vocal arrangements in this song, he was more of a Yes natural than most realized, vocally anyway.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2598 on: June 15, 2014, 08:29:32 AM »
I have come to a conclusion.

Kev isn't from Earth-1, he's from Earth-2, where the music on the radio is much, much cooler than here.  :lol

I've heard some of Rabin's early solo stuff, including this song-though it's been ages-but never on the radio.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2599 on: June 15, 2014, 08:36:15 AM »
:lol :lol

In my defense, some of the obscure songs that I am featuring, I am taking others' word for it that they were played on the radio.  I did actually hear Now played on the radio...once.  That was good enough for me. :lol :biggrin:

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2600 on: June 15, 2014, 08:55:12 AM »
Never heard that but sorta like it - to me at least it's an unusual blend of pompy sounds and rockin guitar.  He seems very heavily influenced by Lou Gramm vocally - does a great job though.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2601 on: June 15, 2014, 09:16:13 AM »
 :lol

Kev, never heard it on the radio but of course I bought all of Trevor's back catalog after 90125.  Even bought a few Rabbit albums.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 03:14:59 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2602 on: June 15, 2014, 02:13:15 PM »

... is all I have to say.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2603 on: June 15, 2014, 04:59:07 PM »
[Crossfire] Great tune and I can tell you the man gave me goosebumps with his playing and damn he is loud!
I recall that really pissed off the Swiss something fierce. On one of his DVDs, Montreux I suppose, they're actually booing him. Not due to lack of appreciation, but because he was so damned loud they couldn't tell what he was playing.

Never got to see him live, which is a shame really. Growing up I really hated the guy. Not my kind of music and since he was a local boy he was pretty much Jesus; exactly the sort of thing that bugs me. Eventually his playing grew on me, but he's still the fucking Messiah down here (well, co-Jesus along with Diamond Darrel now) and it's still annoying. Personally,  I prefer Bonamassa.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2604 on: June 15, 2014, 07:15:52 PM »
Bart, he had plexiglass in front of his speakers to bounce the sound off he speakers so it wouldn't be a direct hit to the fans and it was still the loudest I ever heard except for Deep Purple.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2605 on: June 15, 2014, 11:22:56 PM »
AC/DC - Who Made Who

As I have said before, AC/DC falls into that "heard them too much over the years, and most of their songs sound pretty similar to me" category, but this song is still pretty awesome.  I thought it was totally bad ass the first time I heard it, and while plenty of their songs haven't aged that well for me, I still love cranking this one up to the max. :metal :metal

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2606 on: June 16, 2014, 05:00:31 AM »
Trevor Rabin - Now
This is not something that gets played on any radio around here.  Never heard it, or even heard OF it.

AC/DC - Who Made Who
I never liked this song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2607 on: June 16, 2014, 06:43:32 AM »
AC/DC - Who Made Who

Middle to bottom tier of AC/DC songs.  I enjoy it, but there's a whole lot more from them I'd spin first.  Wasn't this from the Maximum Overdrive soundtrack?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2608 on: June 16, 2014, 07:30:54 AM »
A middle tier AC/DC song for me too. A good song, but they have so many better songs I'd choose to listen to first. But they also have a lot worse. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2609 on: June 16, 2014, 08:09:15 AM »
AC/DC - Who Made Who

Middle to bottom tier of AC/DC songs.  I enjoy it, but there's a whole lot more from them I'd spin first.  Wasn't this from the Maximum Overdrive soundtrack?
Their album Who Made Who WAS the Maximum Overdrive soundtrack, although there were only a couple of original songs on it (including this one).

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2610 on: June 16, 2014, 08:16:57 AM »
AC/DC - Who Made Who

Their album Who Made Who WAS the Maximum Overdrive soundtrack, although there were only a couple of original songs on it (including this one).

Thaaaat's right.  Thanks for jogging the memory.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2611 on: June 16, 2014, 01:56:19 PM »
Billy Squier - In the Dark

I'll chalk this up to being another classic rock song that I always find enjoyable, but never seek out.  That sums up all of the songs of his I am familiar with (all of which are good, and most of which seem to come from the Don't Say No record).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2612 on: June 16, 2014, 02:34:32 PM »
AC/DC - Who Made Who

As I have said before, AC/DC falls into that "heard them too much over the years, and most of their songs sound pretty similar to me" category, but this song is still pretty awesome.  I thought it was totally bad ass the first time I heard it, and while plenty of their songs haven't aged that well for me, I still love cranking this one up to the max. :metal :metal

I always found this middle of the road for me.  Good for partying but otherwise I wouldn't play it.

Billy Squier - In the Dark

I'll chalk this up to being another classic rock song that I always find enjoyable, but never seek out.  That sums up all of the songs of his I am familiar with (all of which are good, and most of which seem to come from the Don't Say No record).

My favorite song from Billy.  Dark and rocking.  The way I like my Billy Squier.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2613 on: June 16, 2014, 02:44:01 PM »
I never had Don't Say No, but one of my old roommates must have, because I remember listening to it, and it was pretty solid.  A bunch of hits, and the album tracks weren't bad, either.

In the Dark is a good song.  I like that slamming intro, the contrast between it and the relatively mild verses, and how the slamming intro comes back for the break.  The synth countermelody during the refrain is cool, too.  I wanted to do this song back in the 80's when Billy was hot, but we already did "Everybody Wants You" and our guitarist didn't want to do another Billy Squier song.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2614 on: June 16, 2014, 03:05:27 PM »
My favorite song from Billy too!  Very cool tune

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2615 on: June 17, 2014, 02:42:04 AM »
A top single by Billy Squeeze. I always enjoy it when I hear it...then move on.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2616 on: June 17, 2014, 02:57:01 AM »
My favorite song from Billy too!  Very cool tune

I like that too. Squier is a nobody in Australia so the only exposure I had to him was The Stroke (no likey) and that video for Rock Me tonite (yikes) ,so I had little incentive to investigate further.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2617 on: June 17, 2014, 06:47:01 AM »
I like "the stroke" based on that one scene from Billy Madison.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #2618 on: June 17, 2014, 09:05:38 AM »
Have to check it out then, so far Lonely Is the Night is my favorite Squier song. Interesting tidbit, first time I heard that song, thought it was a Robert Plant song  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2619 on: June 17, 2014, 09:17:24 AM »
Never liked Billy Squier.  :-[

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2620 on: June 17, 2014, 09:44:23 AM »
Elton John - Crocodile Rock

So many of his songs tend to fall into that "Eh, I guess it's okay" category for me, and this is one of them.  I mean, I see, or should I say hear, the appeal of it for others, but while it's enjoyable enough, I don't find anything about it to be particularly memorable other than the corny-sounding "la la la la la" part. :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2621 on: June 17, 2014, 09:57:14 AM »
For a long time, I thought the "la la la la la" part was a direct quote of some 50's song, but I've never found any reference to such a thing, so now I don't know.  I like Elton's uptempo songs, and this is one of them.  It's not the greatest, but it's a fun song.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2622 on: June 17, 2014, 11:12:29 AM »
I worked with a guy once on a construction project for a parking garage, putting the foundations in.

One day he sang the "la la la la" part of Crocodile Rock for six straight hours.

I hate that fucking song now.  :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2623 on: June 17, 2014, 11:17:48 AM »
I love me a lot of Elton. I'm passively indifferent to this one.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2624 on: June 17, 2014, 11:23:35 AM »
la la la la la can get annoying, but otherwise it's a great tune.