Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 160764 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #1855 on: January 02, 2014, 04:47:05 PM »
Great opening track, to a great album.  I was first introduced to Styx in the mid/late 80s by the 'Classics' compilations that were being put released on CD.  This unsurprisingly made the cut.  It wasn't until the last year or two (someone's top 50 - Debra's??) that I finally picked up a few Styx complete albums.  Why the hell did I waste those 20 years!?!?!?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1856 on: January 02, 2014, 04:56:11 PM »
Styx - The Grand Illusion

Throw this into the pile of songs I thought were totally awesome the first time I heard them.  I don't even remember where I was when I first heard it, but I just remember hearing a bunch of Styx songs for the first time sometime in 1990, and The Grand Illusion was one of several that leaped out at me right away and made me an instant fan.  For as much shit as Dennis DeYoung catches for wimping out in later years, he sure could write some great rocking tunes during their heyday.

Talk about a  great opening song for an album and tour.  This song absolutely rock!! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1857 on: February 20, 2014, 04:16:16 PM »
Van Halen - Dance the Night Away

The cool thing about this song is that it is catchy as hell and manages to be a kick ass rocker despite having no guitar solo.  Let's face it, when you think Van Halen, you think guitar solos, right?  But this is one of their classic early era tunes, and there is not a guitar solo to be found anywhere.  Fun song. :coolio

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1858 on: February 20, 2014, 04:23:32 PM »
Still (Van Halen Does Not) turn me on....
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1859 on: February 20, 2014, 04:30:35 PM »
I think this was the song that made me realize that Van Halen has great vocals.  Sure, everybody knew about David Lee Roth, but the background harmonies are sweet, and this is a good song.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1860 on: February 20, 2014, 04:31:45 PM »
I always considered the little tapping interlude the guitar solo when playing (as it still shifted focus to the guitarist) but I do know what you mean..............great live video with the boys in top form (and some very bad synch on the guitar at 1.49)and an extended outro.  Love Dave at 2.15  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouymzr6azKo
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1861 on: February 20, 2014, 06:15:02 PM »
cool video!  Van Halen II is an ass kicking disc and this song is very catchy.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1862 on: February 20, 2014, 06:43:48 PM »
I just listened to this song yesterday (and the album). It's a nice laid back rock song, and I never even realized it had no guitar solo. It just goes to show that Eddie has never needed a solo to stand out. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1863 on: February 20, 2014, 07:46:22 PM »
Van Halen always had great backing vocals-Michael Anthony is so damned good at that-and this song probably has their best vocal melodies. Amazing rock song.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1864 on: February 20, 2014, 09:38:58 PM »
listening to Van Halen II as I opened this thread.  Sweet!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #1865 on: February 21, 2014, 09:32:55 AM »
love that song, and that live performance is great! Dem jumpsuits...
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1866 on: February 21, 2014, 09:54:41 AM »
The Allman Brothers Band - Midnight Rider

This has long been my go-to song when I am in the mood for something by the Allman Brothers.  It is not necessarily my favorite songs of theirs - it's hard to top the aforementioned and discussed Jessica - but it's short, catchy and packs a helluva punch.  Great song, featuring a great acoustic lead and a fantastic electric guitar solo. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1867 on: February 21, 2014, 10:21:35 AM »
I gotta be honest.  I know there are at least two versions of this song (Gregg also released a solo version), and I can never tell which one I'm listening to when it comes on the radio since Gregg sings both of them.  But one has a cool, rhythmic piano part under the verses, and one is more laid-back with mostly strumming guitars.  I like the more rhythmic one better.  I seem to think one of the versions has horns, too.  Horns are always cool.

So anyway... good song.  But I'm not sure if I like the version we're talking about here.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1868 on: February 21, 2014, 10:26:21 AM »
I have the same problem. I am pretty sure the version I like is the original, but Gregg doing it too muddies the waters (especially since I think there are commercials that use this song and neither one uses the same version  :lol)
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1869 on: February 21, 2014, 11:49:25 AM »
I really like anything Allman Bros and this song is no exception!  :tup
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1870 on: February 21, 2014, 12:48:35 PM »
Loverboy - Turn Me Loose

Even though they didn't hit the scene till 1980, their early rockers definitely qualify as classic rock, and Turn Me Loose is the one song I remember being a mainstay on classic rock radio stations.  Cracking good tune, too.  I love the bass line that kicks the song off following the synth intro.  Loverboy became known as an 80s band more than anything, but they sure could rock when they wanted to.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1871 on: February 21, 2014, 01:04:59 PM »
I agree; they had some great, rocking songs.  In the 80's, I was in a band that did four Loverboy songs.  Fun stuff, since they were one of the bands that actually integrated keyboards and guitars into something interesting.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1872 on: February 21, 2014, 01:09:52 PM »
Yep, some of those early tunes did a great job of having a guitar lead that played a sweet melody and carried the song.  Stuff like Lucky Ones and The Kid Is Hot Tonite.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1873 on: February 21, 2014, 01:26:33 PM »
Here in Canada they have an awesome commercial for a oil change place called Mr Lube with this song. 

Go to youtube and type in "Mr Lube Turn Me Loose"

great song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1874 on: February 21, 2014, 01:30:04 PM »
I remember the old Loverboy videos think how cool is Matt Frenette?

My favorite Loverboy track was always Gangs In The Street.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1875 on: February 21, 2014, 01:52:32 PM »
Great song! I always thought Loverboy was a great sing-a-long band and excellent for listening to while summer driving with the windows rolled down. My tastes have moved in a different direction over the years but the nostalgia of this song and When It's Over are fun to relive.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1876 on: February 21, 2014, 03:16:20 PM »
Always quite liked this one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1877 on: February 21, 2014, 04:05:55 PM »
Very good song, listened to it earlier today, in fact. Great driving song!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1878 on: February 21, 2014, 04:14:01 PM »
Count me in big time as a Loverboy fan and I love this song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1879 on: February 21, 2014, 04:21:51 PM »
When I was in junior high, my parents bought me and my brother our first boom box. The cassette that had the honors of being the first played in it: Loverboy's Get Lucky!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1880 on: February 21, 2014, 05:15:32 PM »
Thank you Kev for reminding me that Loverboy's first album came out thirty four years ago.  :censored   :rollin

Great song. Loverboy didn't really take off here until Get Lucky came out, so my first exposure to this song was the video, which cuts out the guitar solo and made the actual album version sound odd for the longest time.  First two Loverboy albums are amazing, they tapered off after that.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1881 on: February 21, 2014, 05:42:36 PM »
But Jaq, did you get lucky while listening to "Get Lucky"? :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1882 on: February 21, 2014, 05:45:50 PM »
Dude I was 15 when that album came out.  :rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1883 on: February 21, 2014, 05:48:26 PM »
So you didn't play it anytime after it came out? :lol

Barry White would never make money if people stopped getting it on after the newness wore off. :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1884 on: February 21, 2014, 05:53:24 PM »
While I have stories about Styx and Europe and a lot of other rock bands, no, I never got lucky to Get Lucky.

I have a hell of a story to tell about ELO if I ever get the chance though  :rollin

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1885 on: February 21, 2014, 05:56:02 PM »
Oh Kev..........

:lol

You know what I did hear today and I own it but haven't played it in a while was Supertramp,  Crime Of The Century.  Great tune.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1886 on: February 22, 2014, 09:03:11 AM »

You know what I did hear today and I own it but haven't played it in a while was Supertramp,  Crime Of The Century.  Great tune.

For sure.  Love, love, love the piano work in that song!

Thank you Kev for reminding me that Loverboy's first album came out thirty four years ago.  :censored   :rollin

Uh, you're welcome? :P

I have a hell of a story to tell about ELO if I ever get the chance though  :rollin

PM me the song and I'll feature it next. :)

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1887 on: February 22, 2014, 11:25:57 AM »
It wasn't a classic rock hit, but trust me, I can make it work with about any ELO song. Just don't do it now, it'd be unseeemly.   :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1888 on: February 22, 2014, 09:56:54 PM »
Nem no likey this song. :dunno:

Great track though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1889 on: February 22, 2014, 11:35:13 PM »
It wasn't a classic rock hit, but trust me, I can make it work with about any ELO song. Just don't do it now, it'd be unseeemly.   :lol

Hmmm, I've already featured three ELO songs in this thread, so where was this story before?! ;)  :lol