Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 160750 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #1435 on: July 10, 2013, 02:34:38 PM »
It's definitely one of the better songs with him in it. That being said, Michael McDonald really ruined the band, maybe even more so than Peter Cetera with Chicago

interesting comparison considering Cetera was basically an original member of the band and played/sang on every album from CTA to Chicago 17.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1436 on: July 10, 2013, 02:49:12 PM »
It's definitely one of the better songs with him in it. That being said, Michael McDonald really ruined the band, maybe even more so than Peter Cetera with Chicago

Peter Cetera was an original member of Chicago and a hell of a bassist.  He sang lead on songs starting with the first album.  It's not his fault that in the 80's, horns were out and high wailing vocals about chicks who done you wrong were all the rage.  They still wrote the rockers with guitars and horns, but all anyone wanted to hear was Peter whining.  He didn't even write most of those later hits.

As much as I'd love to blame Peter for "ruining" the band, I can't blame him, and I can't blame Chicago for wanting to continue to sell records.  The 70's were gone, but they still had bills to pay.

Ninja'd, but whatever.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1437 on: July 10, 2013, 04:57:48 PM »
Touche

And yes, Fleetwood Mac had probably the best 70's to 80's transistions

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1438 on: July 10, 2013, 05:23:37 PM »
Now there's an example I agree with.

On the other hand, one of my co-workers is a big fan of original Fleetwood Mac, when they were more blues-rock.  Peter Green era.  He couldn't care less about "the pop shit they did with Stevie Nicks".  I guess if you asked him, she ruined the band.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #1439 on: July 10, 2013, 05:26:24 PM »

Peter Cetera was an original member of Chicago and a hell of a bassist.  He sang lead on songs starting with the first album.  It's not his fault that in the 80's, horns were out and high wailing vocals about chicks who done you wrong were all the rage.  They still wrote the rockers with guitars and horns, but all anyone wanted to hear was Peter whining.  He didn't even write most of those later hits.

As much as I'd love to blame Peter for "ruining" the band, I can't blame him, and I can't blame Chicago for wanting to continue to sell records.  The 70's were gone, but they still had bills to pay.

Ninja'd, but whatever.

Excellent summation.  I admit, having enjoyed Chicago as a wee little one in the 70s, I didn't even realize they were the same band by the time I was in high school in the 80s.

Looking back, I much preferred the earlier iterations of tuneage to the whiny 80s.  Cetera's voice is too thin and reedy and high for my enjoyment.
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1440 on: July 11, 2013, 08:17:16 AM »
Chicago - 25 or 6 to 4

Probably THE symbolic early Chicago classic rock song.  It had horns galore, and yet it rocked hard enough to still get airplay for decades on classic rock stations.  Good tune for sure, like many of the songs on those first two albums.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1441 on: July 11, 2013, 08:32:59 AM »
easily my fave Chicago tune.  Never knew the origins of the title until a little while ago though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline sueño

« Reply #1442 on: July 11, 2013, 09:36:08 AM »
Chicago - 25 or 6 to 4

Probably THE symbolic early Chicago classic rock song.  It had horns galore, and yet it rocked hard enough to still get airplay for decades on classic rock stations.  Good tune for sure, like many of the songs on those first two albums.

Tiz the jam!   :hat

But "Saturday In The Park" gets cool points for nostalgia factor.  As a child, that song just illustrated the perfect day for me and it still puts me in that mood!   :heart
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1443 on: July 11, 2013, 09:58:11 AM »
Early Chicago is awesome, even though it took numerous mentions of how awesome they were at DTF, and someone singing the praises of the Carnegie Hall album-was that Orbert?-for me to check them out. Spent a day once on Spotify just working my way through their early albums, amazing experience.  :biggrin:
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline sueño

« Reply #1444 on: July 11, 2013, 10:05:44 AM »
Early Chicago is awesome, even though it took numerous mentions of how awesome they were at DTF, and someone singing the praises of the Carnegie Hall album-was that Orbert?-for me to check them out. Spent a day once on Spotify just working my way through their early albums, amazing experience.  :biggrin:

Well done, you!   :tup

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1445 on: July 11, 2013, 10:10:10 AM »
I've been toying with the idea of a top 50 Chicago songs thread.  Any interest in following/participating?
Winger would be better!

Offline sueño

« Reply #1446 on: July 11, 2013, 10:14:40 AM »
DO IT!!!

It will make me get into their music more!  :)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1447 on: July 11, 2013, 10:30:38 AM »
Yeah, that was probably me raving about Chicago at Carnegie Hall.  But it's that good.

I've been knocking around the idea of doing a Chicago discography thread.  I miss doing those threads.  I have all 11 studio albums from the original lineup plus the two live albums from that era, and I think I have everything since then in one form or another, except for all the various "greatest hits" packages and repackages.

"25 or 6 to 4" is a good song.  I realize that it's regarded as the ultimate Chicago song or something, probably their most famous, but I don't actually rank it that high among the early stuff.  Upper third for sure, but I don't cream over it like some people do.  It's just the same riff over and over.  Terry took some smokin' solos over that riff, though.  The remastered Carnegie Hall has an alternate version from a different night.  Completely different solo, still totally smokes.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1448 on: July 11, 2013, 10:33:56 AM »
It's pretty good, although would still rank Saturday In The Park, Ballet For A Girl, Beginnings, and even Anybody Know What Time It Is over it

Offline sueño

« Reply #1449 on: July 11, 2013, 11:41:49 AM »
It's pretty good, although would still rank Saturday In The Park, Ballet For A Girl, Beginnings, and even Anybody Know What Time It Is over it

Mmmm, yes!    :coolio

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1450 on: July 11, 2013, 12:57:07 PM »
I am a big fan of Questions 67 and 68.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1451 on: July 11, 2013, 01:42:09 PM »
That was their first boss, hit-bound single that never was a boss, hit-bound single.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1452 on: July 11, 2013, 04:13:35 PM »
Great song.  I'm not sure who ripped off whom though.  Zep with Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, or this one.  :)  I can just see Jimmy Page listening to his Chicago albums saying "this riff is incredible!"

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1453 on: July 11, 2013, 04:17:33 PM »
The funny part about that is Babe I'm Gonna Leave You is Page got into trouble for taking credit for the songwriting (he claims he thought he was adapting a standard, when in fact the song had a known, credited songwriter.) That happened a LOT on the first Zep album.

Though since Zep's debut came out 16 months before Chicago released 25 or 6 to 4 as a single... :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #1454 on: July 11, 2013, 08:39:02 PM »
Chicago is fantastic.  25 or 6 to 4 is a classic, but as far as full albums go I'll take the debut any day of the week.  What an incredible piece of work -- it must be one of the best debut albums ever made.

Offline Laich21DT

• I AM ERROR.
« Reply #1455 on: July 11, 2013, 09:11:15 PM »
Chicago is fantastic.  25 or 6 to 4 is a classic, but as far as full albums go I'll take the debut any day of the week.  What an incredible piece of work -- it must be one of the best debut albums ever made.

Absolutely fucking yes. Such a tight band, and great songs. My favorite has to be "Poem 58". However, I don't know about you guys, but I find "Free Form Guitar" to be impossible to listen to. It's just noise to me.
I've got a plan, it involves pulling up our bootstraps, oiling up a couple of asses, and doing a little plowing of our own...... not gay sex. -Mac, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1456 on: July 11, 2013, 09:14:25 PM »
I used to feel that way, but after listening to it a few times, I can appreciate what he's doing.  There's artistry and musicality to what he's doing.  It might take a while to find it, but it's there.

He's hammering-on for a while there.  Everyone thinks Eddie Van Halen invented it, but Terry was doing it in 1968.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1457 on: July 12, 2013, 08:18:07 AM »
AC/DC - Highway to Hell

Hugely popular song, one of AC/DC's biggest.  I guess I like it, but I have never gone out of my way to listen to this song, and it has never been a song I have felt the need to crank up when it comes on.  I get why it is so popular, but sometimes songs just don't it for you for whatever reason.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1458 on: July 12, 2013, 10:09:45 AM »
Yeah, it has a good chorus.  But it's way down on my list of good AC/DC songs.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1459 on: July 12, 2013, 10:21:31 AM »
DO IT!!!

It will make me get into their music more!  :)

ok, give me a couple days to get my list in order and thoughts together on the first batch of songs.

I've been knocking around the idea of doing a Chicago discography thread.  I miss doing those threads.  I have all 11 studio albums from the original lineup plus the two live albums from that era, and I think I have everything since then in one form or another, except for all the various "greatest hits" packages and repackages.

yes!  I would be very interested in that.
Winger would be better!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1460 on: July 12, 2013, 10:29:05 AM »
AC/DC is one of those bands where I understand why they're so popular, and I even kinda like them, but I've never bought any of their stuff and would never, as Kev puts it, go out of my way to listen to them.  Great guitar sound, solid drumming, and the lead vocals don't bother me as much as they do others, but they do bug me a bit and get tiresome pretty quickly.  Probably the only reason why I don't listen to them more.

As far as AC/DC songs go, this one's pretty far down the list.  A song celebrating the fact that you're a mindless, amoral idiot is why some people hate this kind of music, and they've got a pretty good case.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1461 on: July 12, 2013, 02:56:09 PM »
I just don't think all that much of AC/DC.

But let's talk more about Chicago, because that is one of the greatest bands of all time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1462 on: July 12, 2013, 03:07:47 PM »
I'll give Highway some love. Definitely top 5 of theirs

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1463 on: July 12, 2013, 03:22:45 PM »
I loved all of the 70s and early 80s ACDC back in the 80s.  If I heard it now for the first time, doubt I'd be that in to it.  However, it's ingrained into my musical DNA.  Good stuff.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1464 on: July 13, 2013, 10:06:26 AM »
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

This song is :hefdaddy on every level, Wayne's World pun intended.  There aren't enough words to describe the awesomeness of this song, and it is mind-blowing to think that this came from the mind of one man: Freddie Mercury.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy indeed.

Offline sueño

« Reply #1465 on: July 13, 2013, 10:09:33 AM »

This song is :hefdaddy on every level, Wayne's World pun intended.  There aren't enough words to describe the awesomeness of this song, and it is mind-blowing to think that this came from the mind of one man: Freddie Mercury.  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy indeed.
:hefdaddy

It the most amazing song!!!  And SO fun to sing along with friends.  Or alone.

Doing all the parts... 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1466 on: July 13, 2013, 10:12:25 AM »
And SO fun to sing along with friends.  Or alone.

Doing all the parts... 

pretty much sums up all my thoughts on the song
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1467 on: July 13, 2013, 10:14:11 AM »

Oh so many memories with this song. Freshman year of High School... walking around town with my two best friends at the time (one of them being my annoy as fuck ex... before we had even got together...) singing this song at the top of our lungs.  While not my favourite Queen song, this song will always be close to my heart because it always takes me back to a time before everything in life became complicated and stressful.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1468 on: July 13, 2013, 01:31:58 PM »
In 1976, I was in junior high and starting to build my music collection.  "Bohemian Rhapsody" was all over the airwaves, and when the album A Night at the Opera came out, I honestly thought it was an album of rock opera.  Not "rock opera" as in "concept album", but actual rock-styled opera, like the break in "Bohemian Rhapsody".

Okay, so it wasn't, but it was still a mind-blowing album and I've been a Queen fan ever since.  Great song.  I have to place "The Prophet's Song" slightly ahead of it, largely due to its own a capella vocal breakdown, but both songs are absolute masterpieces.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1469 on: July 13, 2013, 10:36:17 PM »
This was the first Queen song I ever heard, back in 1992 when it had a resurgence due to Wayne's World. We used to tape the music videos and re-watch them a lot.
I was only 6-7 at the time, so I disliked the song at first, because it was so strange, and it felt like the longest song ever (and was probably the longest song I'd ever heard at the time). But I also felt strangely compelled to watch it again, and after a few more listens, I loved it. The music video was every bit as iconic as the song too.

Anyone ever checked out the full 24 track multitrack for Bohemian Rhapsody? It's even more nuts than you'd expect. The intro a capella is 15 tracks of just vocals, and a lot of those are bounced down with multiple voices, all perfect of course. The middle section is equally crazy, and even with 24 tracks, they were pushing what they could do at the time with that album.

Then at the end on one of the tracks, you hear some faint voices, the most recognizable part being someone saying "Deacon crashing about" followed by Freddy Mercury saying "OH FUCK IT".
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.