Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 161381 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #840 on: April 15, 2013, 08:12:06 AM »
Right, that's what I hear, too.  I just suck at describing it.  That, and guys picking/strumming each one, which is definitely wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #841 on: April 15, 2013, 08:45:16 AM »
I've always heard/thought it was the second one. But because it's all slid, and not picked (much like the other 8ths in there), it's kind of ambiguous alone.

Upon close listening, I still believe it's the second line though. Here's my reasoning - First of all, it sounds played the same to me as the notes before it where it is clearly 8ths, so I don't think he intends to play anything different there.
Secondly, and more conclusively to me, listen to the bass underneath it. It is very clearly playing the extra 8th there, and because it's bass, it's cleanly picking every note with no slides.

But either way, it's not supposed to be individually picked, so if people are picking every 8th, instead of on each 4th, then they're still wrong.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #842 on: April 15, 2013, 10:08:42 AM »
2nd favorite Sabbath song

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #843 on: April 15, 2013, 10:50:07 AM »
Road Warriors

:tup :tup

Haha! My first thought as well. The Road Warriors in the good ol' NWA days was where I heard this song first. Imagine my surprise when I found it was not only a classic rock song, but a legendary one as well.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #844 on: April 15, 2013, 12:07:42 PM »
Speaking of classic rock songs in the metal vein....

Judas Priest - Living After Midnight

Turn on classic rock radio and Judas Priest has three songs you will hear a lot.  Why did I pick this particular one to feature first?  Who the hell knows :lol, but this is a good song.  Priest have dozens of songs that are better, but for a band that many only know three songs by, at least they are all good ones.  This is about as catchy as metal gets.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #845 on: April 15, 2013, 12:12:18 PM »
I can't think of the last time I did a gig that we didn't do this song.  Excellent stuff.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #846 on: April 15, 2013, 12:41:23 PM »
Great song!  It's so classic, though, that I don't even think of it as a metal song, it's just classic rock.  In fact, I tend to forget that Judas Priest did the song.  Someone asked me who did the song, and I couldn't think of who it was because Priest is metal and the song isn't metal.

But it is.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #847 on: April 15, 2013, 02:20:16 PM »
Speaking of classic rock songs in the metal vein....

Turn on classic rock radio and Judas Priest has three songs you will hear a lot.  Why did I pick this particular one to feature first?  Who the hell knows :lol, but this is a good song.  Priest have dozens of songs that are better, but for a band that many only know three songs by, at least they are all good ones.  This is about as catchy as metal gets.

Other 2 are Breaking the Law and You've Got Another Thing Coming?

This one would be my least favorite of those 3.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #848 on: April 15, 2013, 06:36:26 PM »
This is commercial heavy metal at its best.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #849 on: April 15, 2013, 07:25:00 PM »

Other 2 are Breaking the Law and You've Got Another Thing Coming?

Yep.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #850 on: April 16, 2013, 09:14:38 AM »
Angel - Tower

Another possible regional hit ;), this is a classic here in the Midwest, and deservedly so; it is a phenomenal song.  Several friends used to use the beginning of this song to demonstrated the awesomeness of their sound systems.  If you have never heard this song, you are really missing out on a true classic.  Check it out below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tVyWpNa-mc

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #851 on: April 16, 2013, 09:18:38 AM »
Angel is a very good, but unknown band.  I think Gene Simmons had something to do with getting them signed.  Surprised they are so unknown; they had a great look for the 70's and their sound is something that you would have thought had been popular at the time.  This is one of their best songs.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #852 on: April 16, 2013, 09:25:46 AM »
It was in fact a regional hit, but I bought Angel's debut when I was going through a 70s hard rock phase nearly a decade ago, and man, Tower kicks ass up one side and down the other. Sadly it's about the only memorable song on that album, but WOW, what a song.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #853 on: April 16, 2013, 09:56:00 AM »
I remember Angel as the band whose logo could be rotated 180 degrees and it still said "Angel".  I always thought that was clever.  My college roommate had the album, but I don't think we ever listened to it.  I do remember flinging it out our third-story dorm window, Frisbee-style.  Records make excellent, yet deadly Frisbees.

Anyway, I just listened to that song.  Pretty good.  :tup

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #854 on: April 16, 2013, 01:56:48 PM »

Damn good song. :2metal:

Angel - Tower

Another regional hit - never heard it before today.  Not bad.  Not bad at all.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #855 on: April 17, 2013, 07:03:56 AM »
Stan Bush - The Touch

(as he comes off the shuttle.......picks off five or six.....transforms into a BIG RIG...drives over a few more....transforms back into the hulking metal monster he is...and kills a few more)

whisper his name in awe.......................O p t i m u s
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #856 on: April 17, 2013, 08:30:50 AM »
lol, wut?

Cheap Trick - The Dream Police

Who thinks of Fast Times at Ridgemont High every time you hear this song? *raises hand*  I knew that moment from the movie before I knew the song for quite a long time.  All I knew for a long time by Cheap Trick was their several late 80s hits, but in the late 90s, I worked with a guy who was a huge fan of their brand of what he called "power pop" and he talked me into checking their stuff out.  I wasn't that big on a lot of it, but their known hits from the 70s are all good, The Dream Police being my favorite.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #857 on: April 17, 2013, 08:37:02 AM »
Funky little diddy.  Always loved this track.  Cheap Trick had a few hits that didn't quite get a ton of exposure, but just enough to stick in your head. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #859 on: April 17, 2013, 07:44:41 PM »

GOOD song.  Dug it tons back in the late 70s, and I still do actually.

Spiderman - you can't just post random shit, dude.  Fckin Canadians. :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #860 on: April 17, 2013, 08:28:35 PM »
lol, wut?

Who thinks of Fast Times at Ridgemont High every time you hear this song? *raises hand*  I knew that moment from the movie before I knew the song for quite a long time.  All I knew for a long time by Cheap Trick was their several late 80s hits, but in the late 90s, I worked with a guy who was a huge fan of their brand of what he called "power pop" and he talked me into checking their stuff out.  I wasn't that big on a lot of it, but their known hits from the 70s are all good, The Dream Police being my favorite.

Love, love, love this song.  I know my buds and I belted out the chorus while driving in my car all the time. "Inside of my head!!"
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #861 on: April 17, 2013, 09:30:26 PM »
Dream Police is great. I always get it stuck in my head after listening to it.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #862 on: April 17, 2013, 10:58:04 PM »
lol, wut?

Sorry, all I think about when I think about Fast Times, musically, is Moving In Stereo.

Can't imagine why.

Dream Police is a catchy song, but I dunno, it just feels lesser compared to the other Cheap Trick classics from the 70s. Not sure why, either.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #863 on: April 18, 2013, 05:21:21 AM »
It's definitely a less caliber song than Surrender or I Want You To Want Me, but still a fun song

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #864 on: April 18, 2013, 08:17:46 AM »

Sorry, all I think about when I think about Fast Times, musically, is Moving In Stereo.

Can't imagine why.

Haha, well sure, but this is the reverse.  When I think about Fast Times and music, I think of Moving in Stereo, but when I hear The Dream Police, I think of that scene from Fast Times where Damone sings the lyrics from several of their songs when trying to sell a girl tickets to one of their concerts.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #865 on: April 18, 2013, 08:24:04 AM »
And what the hell...:lol

The Cars - Moving in Stereo

Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Phoebe Cates. 'Nuff said. :hat

Okay, I will say a bit more: this isn't their most-played classic rock song, but it does get played quite a bit still.  Good song, and I remember assuming it was an instrumental the first time I heard it in the movie, but then hearing the full version and realizing it was not.  It is also notable that Benjamin Orr did the lead vocals, not Ric Ocasek.  Hearing it and realizing that makes you realize how similar their voices are.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #866 on: April 18, 2013, 08:29:12 AM »
Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Phoebe Cates. 'Nuff said. :hat

Offline Jaq

« Reply #867 on: April 18, 2013, 08:54:11 AM »
Moving In Stereo pulls off the neat trick of seeming longer than it actually is. With the instrumental breaks, it feels like a 6-7 minute long song, but it's less than five, which is always a neat trick that I enjoy from a band. I've more than once on these forums said I loved the Cars unabashedly, and I did even when I was a young metal head. Great band.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #868 on: April 18, 2013, 10:18:40 AM »
The Cars first album is amazing.  Okay, I skip the last two songs on Side One, but the rest of it, including how all the songs on Side Two go together, is awesome.  One of my favorite albums of all time.

"Moving in Stereo" in particular is masterful.  I love how the synth countermelody isn't introduced until the second verse, and it is this countermelody which is ultimately expanded upon and granted its own theme-and-variations section for the break.  And of course, there's the trippy atmosphere and typical weirdass Ocasek lyrics throughout.  And yeah, because it takes its time and unfolds naturally, it does seem longer than it really is.  It's really a brilliant piece of music.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #869 on: April 18, 2013, 10:24:58 AM »

Who thinks of Fast Times at Ridgemont High every time you hear this song?
*raises hand* 

Not a Cheap Trick song I like much, but I only like a small portion of their material.

What ever happened to Damone, anyway? Strange to think about that cast. Sean Penn and Forest Whitaker go on to win Oscars. Anthony Edwards, Judge Reinhold, Jennifer Jason Leigh go on to solid TV/Movie careers. And Damone, Ratner, and the rest? Obscurity.

The Cars - Moving in Stereo

Great song, great album, great way to be immortalized in film. The Cars debut album is a masterpiece. I always think of ‘Moving in Stereo’ in tandem with ‘All Mixed Up’ because that is how I always heard them on the radio. Awesome way to finish an album.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #870 on: April 18, 2013, 10:31:08 AM »
I'm always bummed when they play "Moving in Stereo" but don't let it play through to "All Mixed Up".  Often, it's enough to make me pull out the CD or my iPod and play, just because I need to hear it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #871 on: April 18, 2013, 11:23:28 AM »
That first album had 8 of the 9 songs on radio.  Only, I'm in Touch with Your World didn't get airplay here in the Boston area.  Great tune, great style.  Top to bottom a home run of a song and an album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #872 on: April 18, 2013, 12:01:22 PM »
The other one I've never heard on the radio is "Don't Cha Stop", but it shouldn't surprise me that some areas played it.  Those two aren't really bad songs, I guess, and sometimes I let them play. 

"I'm in Touch with Your World" has the spooky, creepy vibe going on, which I think is done much better in "Moving in Stereo", thus rendering it skippable, and "Don't Cha Stop" is the opposite, the uptempo, brainless fun song.  I really need to be in the right mood for an uptempo, brainless fun song, and when I am, there are plenty of other choices.

I read an interview with The Cars once where they jokingly referred to their first album as their "real" greatest hits album.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #873 on: April 18, 2013, 12:28:43 PM »
Moving In Stereo pulls off the neat trick of seeming longer than it actually is. With the instrumental breaks, it feels like a 6-7 minute long song, but it's less than five, which is always a neat trick that I enjoy from a band. I've more than once on these forums said I loved the Cars unabashedly, and I did even when I was a young metal head. Great band.

Completely agreed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #874 on: April 18, 2013, 12:38:30 PM »
I think it's great how the classic rock thread is now centered around discussing an 80s movie.  Yay for overlap!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

And thanks for that link, Cool Chris.  Interesting to see how some of the lesser known actors have aged.  And LOL that Jennifer Jason Leigh is giving Robert Romanus the finger.  Stacy must still be mad at Damone. :lol :lol :lol :lol