Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 161218 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #910 on: April 23, 2013, 12:40:43 PM »
Eddie Murphy in Another 48 Hours killed this song for me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #911 on: April 23, 2013, 12:53:40 PM »
But that was a pretty funny scene.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #912 on: April 23, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
Roxanne isn't even the best song on the Police's debut album, and it's guilty of the early Police tendency to repeat lyrics a LOT, but I can see why it became a hit. It doesn't sound like much of anything on the radio NOW, let alone the late 70s, and despite the repetitious chorus it's a pretty catchy tune.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #913 on: April 23, 2013, 08:08:48 PM »
Eh, okay song. They've definitely made much better.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #914 on: April 24, 2013, 08:47:00 AM »
Bad Company - Ready for Love

Some of their classic rock staples have not aged that well for me, but this one always sounds as great as ever every time I hear it.  I love the melodies in this song, and the piano work throughout is breathtaking.  Even just those few simple notes during the first verse are perfectly placed and played, and of course it takes center stage during the last 40 seconds of the song.  Terrific song!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #915 on: April 24, 2013, 10:14:52 AM »
It is a good song, although you'll hear me spin "Can't Get Enough" and "Shooting Star" more

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #916 on: April 24, 2013, 10:21:10 AM »
Paul Rodgers is one of my top 10 favorite singers, but even his presence on this track can't endear me to it.  It's not that it's bad, it's just kinda plain for me.  I'd sooner put on "Good Lovin' Gone Bad", which is an amazingly fun song to perform live.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #917 on: April 24, 2013, 10:29:58 AM »
Great song, but they've made some better ones. Very enjoyable though.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #918 on: April 24, 2013, 12:19:09 PM »
Bad Company - Ready for Love
It is a good song, although you'll hear me spin "Can't Get Enough" and "Shooting Star" more

Add "Bad Company" and "The Sky Is Burning" for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #919 on: April 24, 2013, 12:21:23 PM »
I also love Bad Company and Burnin' Sky a lot, as well as Crazy Circles and Run with the Pack.  I can do without Shooting Star and Feel Like Makin' Love.  Feel Like Makin' Love suffers from the problem Jaq mentioned in regards to early Police: repeating lyrics over and over.  The end of that song just goes on and on and on.

Oh, and back to the Police and repeating lyrics, I like Message in a Bottle, but did "Sending out an S.O.S." really need to be repeated 629 times at the end of that song? :lol :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #920 on: April 24, 2013, 12:23:02 PM »
Oh, and back to the Police and repeating lyrics, I like Message in a Bottle, but did "Sending out an S.O.S." really need to be repeated 629 times at the end of that song? :lol :lol

OMG yes. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #921 on: April 24, 2013, 12:27:29 PM »
BTW, today was the 100th song featured in this thread.  My goal was to get to 100 without featuring the same band/artist more than once (except in the case of people like Clapton, who was featured as a solo artist and in Cream and Derek and the Dominos).  I will still be featuring bands/artists that haven't been featured yet, but I will now start repeating some.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #922 on: April 24, 2013, 12:29:52 PM »
I also love Bad Company and Burnin' Sky a lot, as well as Crazy Circles and Run with the Pack.  I can do without Shooting Star and Feel Like Makin' Love.  Feel Like Makin' Love suffers from the problem Jaq mentioned in regards to early Police: repeating lyrics over and over.  The end of that song just goes on and on and on.

I like to refer to this as "The Hey Jude Effect".

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #923 on: April 24, 2013, 12:33:27 PM »
 :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #924 on: April 25, 2013, 08:52:36 AM »
AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long

Raise your hand if you still like this song, but have heard it so many times that you don't care if you ever hear it again.

*raises hand*

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #925 on: April 25, 2013, 09:37:50 AM »
*raises both hands*

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #926 on: April 25, 2013, 09:41:31 AM »
I do still like it.  We play it at the end of nearly every gig and it ALWAYS goes over huge.  It doesn't matter how many times I play it - that solo, while extremely easy, is one of the most enjoyable solos I will ever play.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #927 on: April 25, 2013, 10:36:03 AM »
Yeah, there's something to be said about AC/DC's brand of simple, headbanging music.  I can see it always going over well live, provided you don't play too many of them.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #928 on: April 25, 2013, 10:44:21 AM »
I don't listen to the radio or anything like that, so I manage to avoid over-hearing their music. And in this country, AC/DC are definitely a band you will over-hear! :lol

Great song, and an amazingly solid album. The videos from that album are all terrible though. It's amazing that it's one of the highest selling albums of all time, it's still one of the best sounding rock albums you will hear production-wise, and yet the videos look like they were all filmed in one day in a shed for $5. :lol It just makes it all the more impressive that the album has become such a classic.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #929 on: April 25, 2013, 10:46:21 AM »
 :metal :metal

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #930 on: April 25, 2013, 11:41:11 AM »
Overplayed for sure, but still great

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #931 on: April 25, 2013, 11:53:15 AM »
To clarify, I still like the song, but I can't imagine going out of my way to listen to it anymore.  Funny story, too, as when MTV put the video in regular rotation in 1987, I thought it was a new song at the time. :facepalm: :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #932 on: April 25, 2013, 12:24:24 PM »
AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long

Raise your hand if you still like this song, but have heard it so many times that you don't care if you ever hear it again.

*raises hand*

I liked it on my listen-through of Back In Black recently but yeah...
*raises hands*

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #933 on: April 25, 2013, 01:25:22 PM »
If this song comes on when I am driving, I won't turn it off. I'd actually probably turn it up. But otherwise, wouldn't listen to outside of any sort of ACDC marathon or Back in Black run through.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline masterthes

« Reply #934 on: April 25, 2013, 01:55:24 PM »
*raises hand*

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #935 on: April 25, 2013, 03:45:16 PM »
Time for another today, and the first repeat artist...

Led Zeppelin - Black Dog

I sometimes think I am the only Zeppelin fan in the world who does not drop to his knees and thank whatever god they believe in for the existence of this song.  Don't get me wrong, I like it, and it is without a doubt one of the most classic rock songs ever, but it has never struck me as being an all-time great "one of the best songs ever" type of song.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #936 on: April 25, 2013, 03:57:17 PM »
I think it's because it was so different, and still is to this day.  The way it starts and stops.  Jimmy's hook riff.  Bonzo's drums.  It's a kickass song and unlike anything else.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #937 on: April 25, 2013, 06:06:02 PM »
Time for another today, and the first repeat artist...

Led Zeppelin - Black Dog

I sometimes think I am the only Zeppelin fan in the world who does not drop to his knees and thank whatever god they believe in for the existence of this song.  Don't get me wrong, I like it, and it is without a doubt one of the most classic rock songs ever, but it has never struck me as being an all-time great "one of the best songs ever" type of song.

No, you're not. Even though this is THE song that got me in to Rock music 27 years ago, and set my musical course for life, it's one of my least favorite on the album. I just don't like the start-stop structure of the song.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline masterthes

« Reply #938 on: April 25, 2013, 06:37:17 PM »
It's probably my third least favorite track off of Four. Definitely a middle of the road Zep tune for me

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #939 on: April 25, 2013, 09:41:29 PM »
A great song, maybe not one of their best, but still a very enjoyable listen.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #940 on: April 26, 2013, 07:15:27 AM »
As much as I love Zeppelin, Black Dog is one of those songs of theirs that just never clicked with me, and it being perpetually included in live sets tended to annoy me, but to be fair, I have heard something on the order of 100 Zep bootlegs, so that's a lot of versions of Black Dog. What's really funny is how, basically, when bands started copying Zep in the 80s, the two songs they most aped were this and Kashmir...and in the case of Kingdom Come, they did it in the SAME song sometimes.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #941 on: April 26, 2013, 10:12:11 AM »
That describes my relationship with Whole lotTa love. Black dog, on the other hand, is one of those perfect rock songs with classic Zeppelin moments throughout. They did a fabulous job with it on Celebration day.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #942 on: April 26, 2013, 10:13:43 AM »
I think the neatest thing about Black Dog is how the timing is a little different every time they play the main riff after every vocal in the verses.  It's like a little different each time seemingly. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #943 on: April 26, 2013, 12:49:02 PM »
Sniff 'n' the Tears - Driver's Seat

Fun little tune.  I remember getting into it when it was featured in Boogie Nights, and I think I remember it being a classic rock mainstay, so I thought it was worthy of this thread. 

Offline Jaq

« Reply #944 on: April 26, 2013, 12:59:18 PM »
I have a feeling that, if I did a version of this thread featuring what I remember as classic rock hits, I'd probably all too frequently puzzle Kev with what were clearly east coast wonders.  :lol I have no clue what this song is.