Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 161346 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #805 on: April 12, 2013, 10:41:58 AM »
Billy Joel - Piano Man

Another classic many of us have probably heard hundreds, if not thousands, of times over the years, yet it still sounds great every time I hear it.  This song put Joel on the map, and remains his definitive song to this day.  It's a great story. :coolio

When I first read this, my brain interpreted it as Billy Idol.  Just picturing Billy Idol behind the keys with this tune is a helluva giggle.  :jets:

Great little tune; great lyrics.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #806 on: April 12, 2013, 10:51:05 AM »
Great song that tells a great story. :tup

Offline masterthes

« Reply #807 on: April 12, 2013, 07:21:56 PM »
It's my favorite of his  :tup

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #808 on: April 13, 2013, 04:29:24 AM »
It's not my absolute favorite Billy Joel song, but it's on the upward end of my list (I reserve #1 for "Captain Jack").  Oh, and I FINALLY get to tell a story (ala Jaq, but not really :lol )!

So, my boyfriend at the time got Billy Joel tickets and we ended up going with his best friend - this was... 1990 during the Storm Front tour.  It was also after Milli Vanilli had gotten their Grammys stripped - and let me tell you, Billy was ripping on them ALL NIGHT. :lol

Anyhoo, Piano Man was the encore (duh) and when he turned it over to us (the audience at the Frank Erwin Center here in good ol' Austin) for the last chorus, you could hear the WHOLE audience echoing all over the venue.  It was mindblowing, and I think Billy had said that it was one of the loudest sing-alongs that wasn't on the East Coast. :lol :biggrin:

Oh... and the show was AWESOME.  I don't remember the setlist (fogey brain) but I'm glad that I got to see him at least once.  The man is definitely an entertainer. :tup

Offline masterthes

« Reply #809 on: April 13, 2013, 07:46:11 AM »
Would love to see him perform

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #810 on: April 13, 2013, 08:44:08 AM »
It's not my absolute favorite Billy Joel song, but it's on the upward end of my list (I reserve #1 for "Captain Jack").  Oh, and I FINALLY get to tell a story (ala Jaq, but not really :lol )!

So, my boyfriend at the time got Billy Joel tickets and we ended up going with his best friend - this was... 1990 during the Storm Front tour.  It was also after Milli Vanilli had gotten their Grammys stripped - and let me tell you, Billy was ripping on them ALL NIGHT. :lol

Anyhoo, Piano Man was the encore (duh) and when he turned it over to us (the audience at the Frank Erwin Center here in good ol' Austin) for the last chorus, you could hear the WHOLE audience echoing all over the venue.  It was mindblowing, and I think Billy had said that it was one of the loudest sing-alongs that wasn't on the East Coast. :lol :biggrin:

Oh... and the show was AWESOME.  I don't remember the setlist (fogey brain) but I'm glad that I got to see him at least once.  The man is definitely an entertainer. :tup

Been busy lately, glad someone is bringing some stories to the forums.  :rollin

I love Piano Man. You just don't get lyric heavy songs that tell stories anymore, but they were all over the place in the late 60s and early 70s.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #811 on: April 13, 2013, 10:05:34 AM »
Electric Light Orchestra - Fire on High

It seems odd to call this an instrumental, given the backward talking message and the choir vocals (which faintly sing the song's title near the end of the song), but it is usually referred to as an instrumental.  Either way, this is a beast of a classic rock song, one that still sounds awesome every time I hear it.  That fast guitar riff, first heard around 2:40, had to have been played prominently somewhere on TV at some point, because the first time I heard the song, I knew that riff from somewhere.  I almost want to say it was used in a commercial for one of the local radio stations, but it is impossible to know for sure.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #812 on: April 13, 2013, 10:11:21 AM »
Fire On High was used as background music on a lot of sports shows on CBS in the late 70s and early 80s, and in a LOT of radio spots, and it was always the guitar riff part. The question should be not where you heard it, but how many different things you heard it in.

Love this song. I remember when some metal heads were bitching because Bev Bevan did a tour as drummer for Black Sabbath about how Sabbath had "that shitty drummer from ELO now", and my response would always be to play Fire on High and watch their expressions change when the drum fills started coming.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #813 on: April 13, 2013, 10:27:24 AM »
The question should be not where you heard it, but how many different things you heard it in.

That's probably true. :lol

Also, this is the 89th song I have featured in this thread so far.  I am not sure if anyone has noticed, but I have yet to do a second song by any artist yet (except for cases like Clapton, who was a solo artist and in several bands).  I want to get to 100 songs before I start repeating artists, but it is inevitable since bands like Zeppelin, The Who, Floyd, etc. have dozens of songs that could be featured here. :tup :tup

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #814 on: April 13, 2013, 10:47:01 AM »
Turns out I've only ever heard this song on the radio, so I'd never heard the intro with the backwards message before.  Interesting.  Incredible song, by the way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #815 on: April 13, 2013, 11:44:07 AM »
Oh, and for anyone who doesn't know, the backwards talking actually says:

"The music is reversible, but time is not. Turn back. Turn back. Turn back. Turn back."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #816 on: April 13, 2013, 01:20:57 PM »
DebraKadabra's "Piano Man" story reminded me that I have a "Piano Man" story, too.

We were visiting my friends back in Michigan over Winter Break, and on New Year's Eve, we had a small get-together with a bunch of the old gang.  It was slightly dampened by the snowstorm, but Michigan in Winter, everyone's kinda used to it.  Something the guys always do when we get together is jam.  But the power went out around 9:00 because of the storm.  Damn, what to do?  Plenty of candles, so that's not a problem.

Well, there's the piano upstairs, so we went upstairs, I played the piano, and John sang.  Acoustic guitars came out.  We started leaning towards Elton John and Billy Joel songs, which everyone knew, and it became a big sing-along.  There may have been alcohol involved.  A lot of it.

During the final chorus of "Piano Man", everyone's singing "SING US A SONG, YOU'RE THE PIANO MAN!" and suddenly all the lights came back on.  Yay!  The power of music.  ♫♫

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #817 on: April 13, 2013, 01:59:09 PM »

It seems odd to call this an instrumental, given the backward talking message and the choir vocals (which faintly sing the song's title near the end of the song), but it is usually referred to as an instrumental.  Either way, this is a beast of a classic rock song, one that still sounds awesome every time I hear it.  That fast guitar riff, first heard around 2:40, had to have been played prominently somewhere on TV at some point, because the first time I heard the song, I knew that riff from somewhere.  I almost want to say it was used in a commercial for one of the local radio stations, but it is impossible to know for sure.

I remember being so pissed off that no Greatest hits had this song.  No with digital downloads it's a snap but I had the album but didn't want to go back and by one CD for one song.  Fantastic song.  Top 5 instrumental songs of all time for me and I do think if it as an instrumental.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #818 on: April 13, 2013, 02:00:50 PM »
DebraKadabra's "Piano Man" story reminded me that I have a "Piano Man" story, too.

We were visiting my friends back in Michigan over Winter Break, and on New Year's Eve, we had a small get-together with a bunch of the old gang.  It was slightly dampened by the snowstorm, but Michigan in Winter, everyone's kinda used to it.  Something the guys always do when we get together is jam.  But the power went out around 9:00 because of the storm.  Damn, what to do?  Plenty of candles, so that's not a problem.

Well, there's the piano upstairs, so we went upstairs, I played the piano, and John sang.  Acoustic guitars came out.  We started leaning towards Elton John and Billy Joel songs, which everyone knew, and it became a big sing-along.  There may have been alcohol involved.  A lot of it.

During the final chorus of "Piano Man", everyone's singing "SING US A SONG, YOU'RE THE PIANO MAN!" and suddenly all the lights came back on.  Yay!  The power of music.  ♫♫

:hat :tup :tup

I remember being so pissed off that no Greatest hits had this song.
  No with digital downloads it's a snap but I had the album but didn't want to go back and by one CD for one song.  Fantastic song.  Top 5 instrumental songs of all time for me and I do think if it as an instrumental.

Same here.  When I got into the song, probably around '92 or '92, I had to resort to buying...wait for it...the studio album. :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #819 on: April 13, 2013, 02:28:17 PM »
I know, what the hell!! :lol  These damn kids don't know how easy they got it. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #820 on: April 13, 2013, 10:27:20 PM »
When I think of all the money I could have saved by buying individual tracks for $1 or so instead of spending 12-15 bucks on CDs just for a few songs (or even just one, in some cases), it boggles the mind.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #821 on: April 14, 2013, 12:41:18 AM »
Been busy lately, glad someone is bringing some stories to the forums.  :rollin

Thanks, man. :)

"There may have been alcohol involved." :metalol:

Really neat story though, and interesting that Elton John songs were in the mix - seeing how they toured together and all. :)

I think this is one of my favorite ELO songs - so creepy... then weird... then majestic... then just flat out rocking.  So awesome. :metal

Offline masterthes

« Reply #822 on: April 14, 2013, 05:29:35 AM »
ELO is awesome as is this song

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #823 on: April 14, 2013, 07:20:08 AM »
Really neat story though, and interesting that Elton John songs were in the mix - seeing how they toured together and all. :)

That's just something that John and I have always done.  I've been playing the piano since I was ten, and we used to hang out at his house after school, I'd play the piano and he'd sing.  I had a bunch of sheet music books, including Elton John's Greatest Hits, and we'd just go through them all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #824 on: April 14, 2013, 10:10:08 AM »
Black Sabbath - Iron Man

If Smoke on the Water is the most classic riff ever, Iron Man is probably not far behind.  That is another one of those riffs that everyone knows and everyone who wanted to play guitar wanted to learn how to play.  It's not a song I really listen to that much anymore, but it is still pretty :metal :metal.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #825 on: April 14, 2013, 10:32:27 AM »
The Iron Man riff is to classic metal what Smoke on the Water riff is to classic rock. The fact it's singable by a crowd helps it too. Great song from a great album.

I found it a bit strange that the song plays in the credits of the movie Iron Man, yet it plays all of the least recognizable parts (to the average person), and doesn't even include the riff, or any words/lyrics (such as "I AM IRON MAN" from the intro).
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #826 on: April 14, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
The Iron Man riff is to classic metal what Smoke on the Water riff is to classic rock. The fact it's singable by a crowd helps it too. Great song from a great album.

Agreed.  The other similarity is that most people play the riff incorrectly.

I found it a bit strange that the song plays in the credits of the movie Iron Man, yet it plays all of the least recognizable parts (to the average person), and doesn't even include the riff, or any words/lyrics (such as "I AM IRON MAN" from the intro).

Agreed again.  Actually, people who know the song (which is most people) recognize it, but don't immediately know where from.  I thought it was an interesting choice, myself, as I was among those who did recognize it immediately.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #827 on: April 14, 2013, 01:10:02 PM »
Black Sabbath - Iron Man

If Smoke on the Water is the most classic riff ever, Iron Man is probably not far behind.  That is another one of those riffs that everyone knows and everyone who wanted to play guitar wanted to learn how to play.  It's not a song I really listen to that much anymore, but it is still pretty :metal :metal.

Though Deep Purple was adding the "darkness" into music, it was Black Sabbath that carried that torch and made them the fathers of Metal. Iron Man is one of the anthems for all us young kids who got into Metal in the 70's and early 80's.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #828 on: April 14, 2013, 01:57:14 PM »
THE metal riff. That's it, really. All you need to know about Iron Man. Tony Iommi was always a riff master, even in the less successful days of the 80s and 90s for Sabbath (some of the Martin albums have some of the best riffs Iommi ever wrote) but Iron Man's riff is immortal.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #829 on: April 14, 2013, 03:21:08 PM »
CLASSIC
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #830 on: April 15, 2013, 12:56:02 AM »
Black Sabbath - Iron Man

Overplayed, but still fricking classic as all hell. :metal

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: April 15, 2013, 01:02:22 AM »
The riff of all riffs in the Valley of Riffs can cause a rifft in the riffage of riffing.

And did I mention the riff?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #832 on: April 15, 2013, 01:09:44 AM »
 :rollin

Offline Ħ

« Reply #833 on: April 15, 2013, 01:23:50 AM »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: April 15, 2013, 01:40:22 AM »
Road Warriors

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #835 on: April 15, 2013, 02:30:36 AM »

I know all the ways people play Smoke on the Water wrong, but how do they play Iron Man wrong? Are they not doing the slides (and picking every chord), or are they not playing it in the high neck position for the trademark Iommi sound?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #836 on: April 15, 2013, 05:31:06 AM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: April 15, 2013, 05:49:18 AM »

CBS sports used it for years

Actually its was a 3 year run   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS_Sports_Spectacular
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #838 on: April 15, 2013, 07:42:00 AM »

I know all the ways people play Smoke on the Water wrong, but how do they play Iron Man wrong? Are they not doing the slides (and picking every chord), or are they not playing it in the high neck position for the trademark Iommi sound?

I'm not a guitarist, so I couldn't say about neck position, but it might be the first one.  Basically, people tend to play an extra note/chord in the riff, because it would echo what Ozzy sings.

To my ears, the first line is correct (except I realize now that I have the wrong key signature).
But what I hear far more often is the second line.  The only difference is the third beat of the second measure.  That's what Ozzy sings when he comes in, but it's not what Tony plays.  I think he's moving his left hand toward the D while the E is still playing, so it sounds more like the first line.

What do you think?  I've argued with guitarists about this, but it's always a brief argument.  I back down because "I'm not a guitarist so I don't know" but it always bugs me.

I think it's what you said about them picking it instead of letting it slide, which pronounces it a lot more.  So techinically the D should be there, but much more subtly.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #839 on: April 15, 2013, 08:05:04 AM »
Here's why everybody disputes it:  That quarter note on beat 3 of the 2nd measure - when he hits it, he doesn't cut the note off to jump down and hit the chord on the 4th beat.  He kinda slides his hand down the strings (without unfretting) to hit that 4th beat chord.  It IS a quarter note on the 3rd beat, but the way his hand slides down to the next chord, it sounds like 2 eighth notes, likes beats 1 and 2.  At least that's what I'm hearing.