Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 160775 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #525 on: March 11, 2013, 10:30:24 AM »
A great song from this classic album.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #526 on: March 11, 2013, 10:37:49 AM »
A great song to kick off one of the best hard rock albums of all time. :tup

On a completely random note, the isolated audio of DLR's vocals from that song has been circulating for a while on the net (including in a soundboard app), and I use a clip of the signature DLR "WHOOOOOO!" in my 3D program to notify me when a render is complete, something I typically do dozens of times a day.
So I'll have some music running, and then my render will finish, and I'll hear a loud WHOOOOO over the top of it. It's hilarious hearing how it fits over other songs.

Can't stand Van Halen. (sorry blob)

But Runnin' with the Devil is listenable.

What are you apologizing to me for? You should be apologizing to your parents for turning out wrong. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #527 on: March 11, 2013, 10:59:43 AM »

What are you apologizing to me for? You should be apologizing to your parents for turning out wrong. :biggrin:

Meh I did somewhat enjoy Mean Streak... It was a decent album
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #528 on: March 11, 2013, 11:26:51 AM »
Great song, great album.  Still pretty much the only Van Halen album I listen to.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #529 on: March 11, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
America - Sister Golden Hair

I wouldn't cal this one "perfect", but... it's not bad.

Van Halen - Runnin' with the Devil

Overplayed, but still cool. :metal

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #530 on: March 11, 2013, 12:00:57 PM »
One of my favorites from the debut, but they've made better songs overall.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #531 on: March 11, 2013, 12:02:38 PM »
Definitely a great song

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #532 on: March 11, 2013, 12:10:10 PM »
The only debut album that I think is better as a debut album-as getting across what the band is and how they do it-than Van Halen's is Boston's. And that's a near thing. The run of Running With The Devil-Eruption-You Really Got Me on Van Halen is one of the best ways to introduce a band I can think of. "Here we are, this is what we do-your move."  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #533 on: March 11, 2013, 12:11:24 PM »
Well put, Jaq.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #534 on: March 11, 2013, 06:01:20 PM »
I've never heard a Van Halen song I liked.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #535 on: March 11, 2013, 06:38:40 PM »
Everybody learned those open chords on Runnin'.  Great energetic song.

Loved the harmonies and melody on Sister Golden Hair.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #536 on: March 11, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
A great way to begin this classic album.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #537 on: March 12, 2013, 09:33:55 AM »
Fleetwood Mac - Rhiannon

This tends to get played more on the softer classic rock stations (ya know, the ones that play Elton John all day :lol), as opposed to the harder rock ones, but this is still a classic by any definition.  Great song, and great vocal performance by Stevie Nicks, who has one of the most identifiable female voices in rock history.  Plus, that guitar lead is so killer.  So yeah, great tune!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #538 on: March 12, 2013, 12:49:15 PM »
Been listening to some FM lately. Rhiannon isn't a song I would go out of my way to listen to; they have many more better songs, but that is just personal preference.

Lindsay Buckingham is a true talent.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #539 on: March 12, 2013, 01:04:47 PM »
This is one of those songs that get played all the time but I've never got sick of.  and yes, like Kev said, the solo is killer.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline masterthes

« Reply #540 on: March 12, 2013, 02:33:37 PM »
Good song from a great band

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #541 on: March 12, 2013, 07:10:22 PM »
Pretty cool, understated song.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #542 on: March 12, 2013, 09:08:22 PM »
No mention of the piano on that song?  The piano totally drives "Rhiannon".  Lindsay's guitar is great, as always, but without the piano to play against, the song wouldn't work.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: March 13, 2013, 05:26:17 AM »
Great atmosphere to that song.  Great band in general, lots of killer tunes.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #544 on: March 13, 2013, 08:57:16 AM »
Heart - Magic Man

One of the best "track 1 from a debut album" songs ever.  Terrific song, from a terrific album.  The awesomeness of 70s Heart can pretty much be summed up by listening to Dreamboat Annie, and Magic Man is one of the best songs on it.  It is one of their three standard classic rock staples, and while it seems like most like the other two better, I think this might actually be my favorite of the three.  I love the breakdown near the end of the song, with the keyboard fills, and when the vocal harmonies come in when the full band kicks in and the synth lead swirls around, that is nothing short of phenomenal. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline Jaq

« Reply #545 on: March 13, 2013, 09:19:00 AM »
My sister had this song as a 45, and here's what's flat out amazing about the single. It was the full five and a half minute version, not chopped down to three or so as a radio edit. I remember this because my sister NEVER PLAYED THE ENTIRE SONG. She basically turned it into a single edit by leaving out the instrumental bits.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #546 on: March 13, 2013, 09:21:30 AM »
I like Barracuda just slightly (ever so slightly) more than Magic Man, but still, 70's Heart kicks so much ass. Magic Man is a great introduction to one of the greatest female driven groups of all time

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #547 on: March 13, 2013, 10:07:58 AM »
Heart - Magic Man

One of the best "track 1 from a debut album" songs ever.  Terrific song, from a terrific album.

Yep.  Whenever this song comes on the radio, all I need to hear is Roger's guitar hit that first note, and I'm right there with the "boom-boomp, boom-boomp!" when it stats.  Great song.

The album is also very, very good for a debut.  My only complaint is the way the title song comes back so many times in different forms.  I know that they were going for some kind of concept feel, but to me it just sounds like three versions of the same song, and the song itself is fairly weak to my ears, one of the weakest on the album.  If they'd done different verses each time or something, that would've helped it feel like there was some progress being made.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #548 on: March 13, 2013, 12:24:20 PM »
Fleetwood Mac - Rhiannon

Overplayed.  It was good the first 20 times I heard it, but after 80 bajillion more plays? :yawn:

Heart - Magic Man

Excellent, excellent song. :hefdaddy

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #549 on: March 14, 2013, 09:49:38 AM »
Traffic - The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys

This is another one of those classic rock songs that wouldn't have a prayer of being played on the radio if it had been released in the last 25 years; it is nearly 12 minutes after all!  But this got a fair amount of play back in the day, and is considered a classic rock staple in many circles, and for good reason; it is a damn good song.  Not sure how often it still gets played - it is probably one of those songs that gets played late at night most of the time - but it got played enough back in the day to be eligible here in this thread.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #550 on: March 14, 2013, 10:10:48 AM »
Traffic  :heart

Offline Jaq

« Reply #551 on: March 14, 2013, 10:27:05 AM »
It used to get played a lot here, but then, like a lot of places, the local classic rock station got Clear Channeled and apparently playing bands like Traffic went out the window for having Nikki Sixx's syndicated radio show on. I don't listen to the radio much around here anymore.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #552 on: March 14, 2013, 11:09:06 AM »
Love this one!  Great vibe throughout.  I love the way it fades up, and also fades out.  Like the song was always there, or appears at intervals, and we're only privy to this particular occurrence.  Pretty heavy, eh?

Also, that last saxophone note.  YEAHHHHH!!  I crank that sucker.  Such an ugly, beautiful, horrible, amazing note!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #553 on: March 14, 2013, 11:20:17 AM »
Yes, great song, doesn't seem as long as it is. No hurry to get where it is going, not plodding along either.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #554 on: March 14, 2013, 11:38:44 AM »
Heart - Magic Man

One of the best "track 1 from a debut album" songs ever.  Terrific song, from a terrific album.  The awesomeness of 70s Heart can pretty much be summed up by listening to Dreamboat Annie, and Magic Man is one of the best songs on it.  It is one of their three standard classic rock staples, and while it seems like most like the other two better, I think this might actually be my favorite of the three.  I love the breakdown near the end of the song, with the keyboard fills, and when the vocal harmonies come in when the full band kicks in and the synth lead swirls around, that is nothing short of phenomenal. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

My favorite Heart album, with Dog & Butterfly close behind. Ann is finally going into the Rock & Roll HOF next month and it is long overdue (and the other 5 original members to a lesser extent). This is one of my favorite bands and I have 176 Heart songs on my iPod  :biggrin:. Ann slays on 99% of them (not counting the 20 Nancy sings lead on). My avatar is very relevant to this post.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #555 on: March 14, 2013, 04:18:58 PM »
Love this one!  Great vibe throughout.  I love the way it fades up, and also fades out.  Like the song was always there, or appears at intervals, and we're only privy to this particular occurrence.  Pretty heavy, eh?

Also, that last saxophone note.  YEAHHHHH!!  I crank that sucker.  Such an ugly, beautiful, horrible, amazing note!

Great way to put it! :tup :tup

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #556 on: March 14, 2013, 06:38:15 PM »
Traffic - The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys

This is another one of those classic rock songs that wouldn't have a prayer of being played on the radio if it had been released in the last 25 years; it is nearly 12 minutes after all!  But this got a fair amount of play back in the day, and is considered a classic rock staple in many circles, and for good reason; it is a damn good song.  Not sure how often it still gets played - it is probably one of those songs that gets played late at night most of the time - but it got played enough back in the day to be eligible here in this thread.

OH MAH GLOB I love this song.  Just... epic. :heart

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #557 on: March 14, 2013, 08:19:46 PM »
never...heard...of...it.... .. .... ... . ....
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #558 on: March 14, 2013, 09:58:01 PM »
Listened to "Low Spark" tonight.  It was awesome.

This is a great thread. :tup

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #559 on: March 14, 2013, 10:59:26 PM »
never...heard...of...it.... .. .... ... . ....

:omg:

You need to fix that.  Like, now and stuff.