Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 158605 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #350 on: February 17, 2013, 08:11:57 AM »
Yeah I love the darkness of that song.  The acoustic guitar is what always stood out for me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #351 on: February 17, 2013, 01:41:16 PM »
The Guess Who - These Eyes

I am pretty sure The Guess Who were one of those bands my parents had an 8-track of when I was really young, cause this song and others by them really remind me of my early grade school years.  This was always my favorite of the bunch I heard, and it still is.  Really cool tune.  This probably gets played more on oldies stations than classic rock stations, but it certainly qualifies as a classic rock tune (since being an oldie and a classic rock song are not mutually exclusive).

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #352 on: February 17, 2013, 04:48:41 PM »
Another great song. Burton Cummings had (has?) an exceptional voice, and the Guess Who had a lot of nice songs in the early days.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #353 on: February 17, 2013, 05:21:32 PM »
Ten Years After - I'd Love to Change the World

Awesome song.  Still love it, and I can't name another one by those dudes either.

The Guess Who - These Eyes

Um... no.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #354 on: February 17, 2013, 05:23:58 PM »
I like this one.  I like the way it start rather simply, with just the voice and keys, and slowly builds throughout the song, but no matter how many more instruments they add, the voice remains the focus.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #355 on: February 18, 2013, 12:00:29 PM »
Boston - More Than a Feeling

This is another one of those songs that it is easy to take for granted because many of us have probably heard it a million times, but it is still, to borrow an 80s phrase, a totally awesome song!  Plus, Brad Delp's vocals were never better than they were in this song.  It's always a train wreck to hear someone try to karaoke this song.  It's like, "Yeah, good luck with the chorus." :lol :lol  But anyway, Boston's self-titled debut was a life-changing record for me (first bought it on cassette in the summer of 1989 :lol), and More Than a Feeling is one of eight (out of eight) classics on it. :hat

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #356 on: February 18, 2013, 12:08:19 PM »
Finally a song that I know!  :tup

Yeah, this is one of the hardest Boston songs to sing. The part before the final chorus is just insane.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #357 on: February 18, 2013, 12:09:04 PM »
This is all I have to say about More Than A Feeling.

It's been my favorite song for over three decades now.  :biggrin:

That actually makes me feel very fucking old, but it takes nothing away from the song.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #358 on: February 18, 2013, 12:19:08 PM »
Fantastic song!  I still remember when the Boston album came out.  Everyone made such a big deal about the fact that it was recorded by Tom Scholz in his house, in his home-built studio.  This was in the 70's; nobody did that at the time.  But Tom did.  MIT graduate.

Boston had a great sound and the production on the album is perfect, far better than a lot of albums recorded in actual recording studios of the time (or since).  And as far as Classic 70's Rock goes, this is one of the best.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #359 on: February 18, 2013, 01:36:07 PM »

That actually makes me feel very fucking old, but it takes nothing away from the song.

Along those lines, when I got into this song (and the whole album), it was 13 years old, which seemed really old to me at the time...and now it is 37 years old. :eek :eek :eek

And  :tup :tup to the other comments on this song, and really, in the whole thread.  I don't always comment on every post about each song, as I often like to read them before moving on to the next song, but I love seeing so much appreciation in this thread. :coolio

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: February 18, 2013, 02:06:47 PM »
I do not post often unless a song really sparks something in my mind I want to share. But I am always clicking on this thread for the updated song(s) and to see everyone's comments. Great to see the passion people have for music here.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #361 on: February 18, 2013, 02:18:45 PM »
Overplayed as heck. But excellent nonetheless.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #362 on: February 18, 2013, 04:24:27 PM »
Boston was one of my favorite bands for a while. I don't listen to them much anymore but I'll probably never get tired of the first album, no matter how many times those songs are played on the radio. More Than A Feeling is definitely my favorite song of theirs.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #363 on: February 18, 2013, 05:41:38 PM »
One of the best radio songs ever. Insanely catchy and well-constructed. Brad Delp was amazing.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Jaq

« Reply #364 on: February 18, 2013, 05:43:50 PM »

Along those lines, when I got into this song (and the whole album), it was 13 years old, which seemed really old to me at the time...and now it is 37 years old. :eek :eek :eek

And  :tup :tup to the other comments on this song, and really, in the whole thread.  I don't always comment on every post about each song, as I often like to read them before moving on to the next song, but I love seeing so much appreciation in this thread. :coolio

It was a mere five years old when I first heard it, and rock magazines were promising that we'd have that Boston album Third Stage out any day now.

Five years later... :rollin
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #365 on: February 18, 2013, 09:03:32 PM »
Coincidentally, I was listening to this song a ton last night. Excellent song, and the vocals are insane. Shame the rest of the album isn't anywhere near that quality, or else it would have been a great album.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #366 on: February 18, 2013, 09:06:37 PM »
Wow, I can't agree.  I think the first five tunes are all solid.  I usually stop it after "Smokin'" but I've been known to just let it play.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #367 on: February 18, 2013, 09:11:35 PM »
The whole album is good and listenable, but nothing has ever jumped out at me.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #368 on: February 18, 2013, 09:16:53 PM »
Coincidentally, I was listening to this song a ton last night. Excellent song, and the vocals are insane. Shame the rest of the album isn't anywhere near that quality, or else it would have been a great album.

You might be the first person to ever say that.  Congrats on being original, I guess. :biggrin: :lol

Offline masterthes

« Reply #369 on: February 19, 2013, 04:51:35 AM »
Still a great song. I think the only song of theirs I enjoy more is "Foreplay/Long Time"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #370 on: February 19, 2013, 09:34:00 AM »
We'll get to that one eventually...

REO Speedwagon - Golden Country

I am not a big REO fan, but I do love this song a lot.  Of course, this was early on when they knew how to rock, before they realized later on that they could appeal to the girls with wimpy ballads (which made them more popular, so I guess kudos to them).  Anyway, yeah, great song, and I love the dynamic shift between the mellow verses with the neat keyboard work underneath the vocals and the upbeat, rocking and insanely catchy chorus.  :hat

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #371 on: February 19, 2013, 09:40:07 AM »
Decent song, but they have better songs from the early days. I actually really like their pop period.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #372 on: February 19, 2013, 09:43:39 AM »
I like a few of their songs from the later years - Don't Let Him Go and Roll with the Changes are both really good.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #373 on: February 19, 2013, 10:31:14 AM »
You gotta be from the midwest if you heard that song on the radio.  :lol

REO Speedwagon actually took quite a long time to become a worthwhile band-a lot of their 70s output was second tier hard rock-but Golden Country, along with Riding the Storm out, is one of the few early REO songs to be worth a damn. They really didn't click as a band until 1978 in the studio, but they were always an amazing live band. In terms of performances, the best concert I ever saw was REO Speedwagon, with Cheap Trick opening, in 1985. Amazing show.

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #374 on: February 19, 2013, 10:32:01 AM »
I like a few of their songs from the later years - Don't Let Him Go and Roll with the Changes are both really good.

I wouldn't even consider those later years songs  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #375 on: February 19, 2013, 11:33:06 AM »
We used to sit and listen to You Get What You Play For all the time.  One of those great 70's live albums where they didn't have to all be hits.  It was just one great song after another.  This put them on the map, which was both good and bad.  Good for them, but mostly bad for fans.  Things like "Roll with the Changes" were cool, but then they discovered the secret formula (wimpy ballads) and it was all over.  Not for them, for me.

Side note:  We're gonna try "Ridin' the Storm Out" this year.  I've been working on the synth patch (the "siren"), it sounds pretty sweet.  That one's gonna be a serious crowd pleaser.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #376 on: February 19, 2013, 12:04:09 PM »
Boston - More Than a Feeling

Sure, it's overplayed but... it still kicks ass. :2metal:

REO Speedwagon - Golden Country

Had to YouTube this one - never heard it in Texas.  Not bad, I guess.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #377 on: February 19, 2013, 12:43:09 PM »
You gotta be from the midwest if you heard that song on the radio.  :lol

Hmmmm, I had no idea that it wasn't a universally known classic rock tune.  See, I learn something new every day. :lol :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #378 on: February 19, 2013, 03:58:55 PM »
Very true Kev.  That was never played up here in the northeast.   Good tune nonetheless.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #379 on: February 20, 2013, 06:10:07 AM »
Not a fan of this REO song but they had some real good catchy songs and the live album kicks ass
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #380 on: February 20, 2013, 09:04:55 AM »
The Moody Blues - Ride My See-Saw

I love this band; I love this song.  The Moodies have become one of those awesome overlooked bands, both in classic rock and progressive rock circles, but they were awesome from 1967-1972 (releasing seven albums in that timespan, all of which are at worst really good), and Ride My See-Saw is easily one of their most enduring classic rock tunes from that era.  This got heavy play on classic rock for the longest time.  No clue if it still does, but it damn well should. 

Offline masterthes

« Reply #381 on: February 20, 2013, 09:36:12 AM »
Great song. Short and sweet

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #382 on: February 20, 2013, 11:47:09 AM »
Good song.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: February 20, 2013, 12:00:13 PM »
I decided to check out some MBs on Spotify recently after not hearing anything by them in years. Forgot how good songs like Ride My See Saw were.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #384 on: February 20, 2013, 08:20:26 PM »
I love that song, and the Moody Blues in general. They were the first band I became a fan of since my parents both liked them. I saw them at the Hollywood Bowl when I was a kid.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!