Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. Bring on the new album!  (Read 195833 times)

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Re: The official Opeth thread v. Bring on the new album!
« Reply #1785 on: May 30, 2014, 11:09:21 AM »
The thing that really makes me sad is that Mikael CAN write incredible calm progressive rock songs. Just take a look at The Devil's Orchard or Burden for examples. Those songs have some punch to them that this new song is lacking.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1786 on: May 30, 2014, 11:11:55 AM »
I would love a non-harsh vocals album with songs like Windowpane, Face of Melinda or Harvest. Opeth have many really good songs that doesn't have harsh vocals, the problem with this new stuff (new single and Heritage) is that it's just not on that level.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1787 on: May 30, 2014, 11:49:19 AM »
I just enjoy the laid backness if it. Its not in your face, but its a nice calm vibe.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1788 on: May 30, 2014, 12:02:35 PM »
Yeah you're right, it doesn't sound like the Opeth I've come to love, but it also doesn't sound like Opeth(because ya know they've been a progressive death metal all this time before becoming knock off stale 70's prog masturbation) , but some knock off 70's shit. I'm okay with bands making radical changes as long as the quality is there, and I don't hear the quality with what Opeth have changed to.

Just because it's what they're recently doing doesn't mean I have to accept it, just like they don't have to give a shit that I think they're destroying their legacy. It's fine if you like it, but don't tell me to not voice my dislike, I'm a fan who's sad to see a band turn into something I find very stale and boring. Props to you for enjoying it though brah.

The thing is, while I am enjoying it, I still think the older stuff is better; Heritage was my least favorite Opeth record since the first two.  I just like Akerfeldt's attitude, which is essentially, "I am gonna make the kind of music I want, regardless of what the fans want."  Far too many musicians pander to their fans, instead of staying true to themselves, and regardless of the results, you have to admire Akerfeldt for not pandering.  Having said all of that, I do hope that this new album is a step or two up from Heritage (which, again, I liked a lot, but didn't love).

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1789 on: May 30, 2014, 05:37:52 PM »
I liked the song way better on second listen. It has a lot going for it but my favorite thing about it is that it's cohesive instead of the weird and disjointed approach on Heritage.

Also, as simple as it is, that chorus is very strong for some reason. It works with the groove. Which is a very nice groove by the way.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 05:46:35 PM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1790 on: May 31, 2014, 01:51:43 AM »
Yeah you're right, it doesn't sound like the Opeth I've come to love, but it also doesn't sound like Opeth(because ya know they've been a progressive death metal all this time before becoming knock off stale 70's prog masturbation) , but some knock off 70's shit. I'm okay with bands making radical changes as long as the quality is there, and I don't hear the quality with what Opeth have changed to.

Just because it's what they're recently doing doesn't mean I have to accept it, just like they don't have to give a shit that I think they're destroying their legacy. It's fine if you like it, but don't tell me to not voice my dislike, I'm a fan who's sad to see a band turn into something I find very stale and boring. Props to you for enjoying it though brah.
I just like Akerfeldt's attitude, which is essentially, "I am gonna make the kind of music I want, regardless of what the fans want."  Far too many musicians pander to their fans, instead of staying true to themselves, and regardless of the results, you have to admire Akerfeldt for not pandering.
+1
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1791 on: May 31, 2014, 02:10:45 AM »
Finally got around to listening to Cusp of Eternity. I like it. Definitely better than most of the stuff on Heritage (I'd say that Folklore still beats it slightly). Digging the slightly Arabian/Oriental/whatever scale that is being used... phrygian, I think? Either way, awesome song!

Also, to somewhat chime into the debate: I wouldn't mind growls returning, but with the songs that Mikael is currently writing, they wouldn't fit, and I like his clean singing, so I am okay with this.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the solo is awesomesauce.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #1792 on: May 31, 2014, 07:21:28 AM »
I like it. Definitely sounds more like Opeth's style than Heritage did. (And I liked Heritage) Sounds like a continuation of where Watershed could have gone.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1793 on: May 31, 2014, 10:00:05 AM »
I was about to post the same thing, Pyroph. It definitely sounds like an awesomely twisted evolution of the Heritage direction fused with the Watershed mentality and atmosphere. :tup

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1794 on: May 31, 2014, 03:04:36 PM »
This song brings back the slightly epic, dark vibe of their older records. You can hear Heritage, but it definitely acknowledges Ghost Reveries and Blackwater Park as well.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1796 on: June 02, 2014, 10:38:00 AM »
I'm not a huge Opeth fan, but that song wasn't too bad.  I honestly think the instrumental break was my favorite part though, the vocals were a little bland.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1797 on: June 02, 2014, 09:41:16 PM »
Finally heard the new song. I really like it, more than anything from Heritage. Definitely looking forward to this album now.

Offline 425

« Reply #1798 on: June 02, 2014, 10:23:08 PM »
I'm not really sure what to think about it, from one listen. I like it but don't love it. It seemed actually somewhat more generic than anything else I've heard from Opeth, though it's not too generic, and that feeling could fade. At the moment, I would say that it only beats Slither from Heritage. But I really like Heritage, so that isn't to say that the new song is bad. And of course it isn't to say that I won't like it better with more exposure (though realistically I probably won't listen to it again until I get the actual CD).
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline adastra

« Reply #1799 on: June 03, 2014, 02:16:47 AM »
Finally heard the song!  Didn't like it that much , but it's far better than Heritage :P
I have to say that this is the first time I thought that Åkerfeldt's vocals doesn't sound very good  :-\
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1800 on: June 03, 2014, 05:04:39 AM »
I just love how "all over the map" the reaction is.    People who didn't like Heritage like it, people who liked Heritage disliking it.  People who didn't like Heritage hating this just as much or more, people who loved Heritage and thinking this is good.   Some people with a more indifferent reaction. 

I'm not seeing any real pattern here, and I think that's awesome.  :metal
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1801 on: June 03, 2014, 05:07:32 AM »
I think it's safe to say that this album will probably have the same lukewarm reception that Heritage did. Some will love it, some will dislike it, and overall it will probably have fairly medium ratings on sites like Sputnikmusic and RYM.

Offline adastra

« Reply #1802 on: June 03, 2014, 05:22:42 AM »
Yeah, I have no problem with Opeth changing their musical direction.. I didn't like Heritage at all, but It's great that Opeth wants to move forward.
I don't have high expectations for the new album but I'm still gonna get it and hope for the best :)

Am I the only one who thinks that Mikael's clean vocals have been getting weaker?
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1803 on: June 03, 2014, 06:06:55 AM »
You're not alone in that regard, his voice sounds like it's getting weaker.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #1804 on: June 03, 2014, 06:08:39 AM »
Nice song but to my ears nothing really special, a few interesting melody lines, but very repetitive and somewhat hypnotic background. The vocals seem a bit buried but maybe it's just preview quality, I don't know. The simple pattern structure, a few vocal intervals, and the overall mood immediately reminded me of Heir Of A Dying Day by Lacuna Coil, there are quite a few similarities. Oh and I obviously liked the line "stare at a scene from a memory". :biggrin:

Greetings...
Nef

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1805 on: June 03, 2014, 09:30:45 AM »

Am I the only one who thinks that Mikael's clean vocals have been getting weaker?

If they are, then it makes his decision to not do growls anymore even smarter.  Growling has probably already sped up the process of when his voice will weaken, so why keep doing them and speeding up the process even more?

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1806 on: June 03, 2014, 09:51:52 AM »
The drums sounds totally off beat in the new single, and not in a good way.

Maybe its just me. Everything just sounds off during the verses, by maybe a 16th note or so

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1807 on: June 03, 2014, 10:07:49 AM »
Finally heard the new song. I really like it, more than anything from Heritage. Definitely looking forward to this album now.

Same feeling over here.

Kind of disappointed by the content of the box set or 2cd. I would of loved a making of documentary.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1808 on: June 03, 2014, 10:08:48 AM »
The drums sounds totally off beat in the new single, and not in a good way.

Maybe its just me. Everything just sounds off during the verses, by maybe a 16th note or so
I hear what you mean, the snare is a milli second after the beat making it sound a bit choppy.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1809 on: June 03, 2014, 10:13:24 AM »

Same feeling over here.

Kind of disappointed by the content of the box set or 2cd. I would of loved a making of documentary.

Where are you finding the boxset and 2cd info?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1810 on: June 03, 2014, 01:35:02 PM »
Preorder info is up on RR webstore, also a bit disappointed by the options they have. the deluxe with 3 7" singles is cool, but id rather have the full album on vinyl as well. the box set for live at royal albert hall is much better for the price

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1811 on: June 04, 2014, 03:12:39 PM »
So the new song (Eternal Rains Will Come) was much more interesting than the first song IMO. A step up. Now I feel a bit more positive about the album again.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1812 on: June 04, 2014, 03:28:02 PM »
Cool! I also found it a lot more interesting than the first. A lot more going on than in the first one. The vocals aren't all that interesting- kind of samey, I think- but everything else is a step up for me.  :tup
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline adace

« Reply #1813 on: June 04, 2014, 04:45:24 PM »
Well that one was a lot better than CoE and better than most of Heritage. The intro is a bit too similar to The Grand Conjuration but that isn't a huge deal for me. Otherwise I really love the Damnation vibe it's giving off. Can't wait to hear the other 6 songs!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1814 on: June 04, 2014, 05:31:48 PM »
I think his clean vocals have improved with every record that they've released. So we must be focusing on different aspects of his voice.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1815 on: June 04, 2014, 05:38:30 PM »
Now THAT is more like it! Eternal Rains is wayyy better than Cusp. That's what I was expecting based on what Mikael described....kind of a combination of Watershed and Heritage. Excellent!  :tup

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1816 on: June 04, 2014, 05:56:32 PM »
Eternal Rains instantly clicked with me unlike Cusp which is only starting to grow on me. Eternal Rains should've been the first single IMO. :tup
I'm curious to know if anyone pre-order Pale Communion yet. If so, which format? I went for the box set, even though I wish it included the vinyl as well, but I have $50 to spend so why not?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1817 on: June 04, 2014, 08:17:42 PM »
I think his clean vocals have improved with every record that they've released. So we must be focusing on different aspects of his voice.
Or there's just a difference in opinions?

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1818 on: June 04, 2014, 09:24:23 PM »
Or there's just a difference in opinions?
That's the point I was trying to make. :lol

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1819 on: June 04, 2014, 09:36:52 PM »
You presented in a manner that seemed condescending and as if only one of you was listening to it rightly. My bad  :P