Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. Bring on the new album!  (Read 195503 times)

Offline ErHaO

Re: The official Opeth thread v. Lost Control
« Reply #1610 on: April 26, 2014, 12:57:13 PM »
That 8 bit cover kicks ass  :metal

As for the diversity discussion, when I hear DT12, BCASL, 8V and SFM they sound really different to me. When I hear DO of Opeth I just hear a lot of elements Opeth previously also had but without the harsh parts (both vocally and instrumentally). Diversity is somewhat a personal thing offcourse (depending also on what parts of the music speak to you the most), but as a casual listener I do not think Opeth has changed that drastically since I started listening aside from stripping the heavy stuff out and filling the parts with more old fashioned prog (which I also like btw).

I do hope, however, that Opeth does include the heavy stuff again in the future. There is a reason that they play at metal festivals, tour with death metal bands etc. And that is not the soft prog. I also think Ackerfelt's vocals are not that impressive with his clean singing. It sounds nice but he is also somewhat limited and I think he is an outstanding growler.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1611 on: April 28, 2014, 12:30:24 PM »

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1612 on: April 28, 2014, 12:32:33 PM »
Heard from multiple places that it's fake. Apparently it's some inside artwork or something to Steven Wilson's Grace For Downing Bluray.

A shame though, that actually would be a cool cover.

EDIT: The person who put it up on Deviant Art is also hiding a shit ton of comments, assumedly from people calling them out on it.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1613 on: April 28, 2014, 12:35:33 PM »
I thought it was legit since Progarchives has it listed on their site.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1614 on: April 28, 2014, 12:39:12 PM »
Well I guess it'll be cleared up soon to confirm it as real or a fake, but odds aren't looking good for the former option.
If it does turn out to be real though, it look pretty rad.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1615 on: April 28, 2014, 12:42:24 PM »
It hasn't been posted on the official Opeth page yet and I remember Mikael saying the cover will have a medieval look with three paintings next to each other, so it's safe to say that picture's nothing but a fake cover.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1616 on: April 28, 2014, 12:43:59 PM »
And that album cover screams a return to the old Opeth, which definitely isn't happening  :lol

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1617 on: April 28, 2014, 12:47:52 PM »
And that album cover screams a return to the old Opeth, which definitely isn't happening  :lol

Yeah. :lol
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1618 on: April 28, 2014, 12:52:41 PM »
It hasn't been posted on the official Opeth page yet and I remember Mikael saying the cover will have a medieval look with three paintings next to each other, so it's safe to say that picture's nothing but a fake cover.

Now that you mention it I remember that too. Oh well, I guess Progarchives has been duped and subsequently so have I :)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1619 on: April 28, 2014, 12:57:14 PM »
All I can hope for is that it doesn't look like the artsy fartsy mess that was Heritage's cover. Some cool elements in it, particularly the devils on the bottom, but good god what a mess of an album cover.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1620 on: April 28, 2014, 01:17:11 PM »
Wow.  :lol

Could not possibly disagree more. I adore Heritage's album artwork, I think it's one of the greatest. Everything about it screams Opeth, and they threw in a sign of the times with the falling head. It's perfect for the album and the period of transition.

/assholesandonionsorsomethinglikethat

The one posted does indeed look like a fan cover. It's boring and plain... When I look at the Heritage cover, I thin 'artwork'. That looks like a mediocre, jv-effort. Then again I wouldn't be surprised either way.

(this fuckin' site is running slow as hell for me...every other site is fine...hrrmm...something up?)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 01:22:15 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1621 on: April 28, 2014, 01:26:28 PM »
DTF is behaving lethargically for me as well.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1622 on: April 28, 2014, 01:59:06 PM »
Yeah, something is up, it's been pretty slow all day.

As far as Opeth and their style goes....changing their name, frankly, would be a pretty dumb move from a marketing standpoint.  There are tons of bands out there who have undergone fairly dramatic transformations over the course of their existence without ever changing names.  With album sales already in the toilet in the age of torrents, these bands with niche audiences need every advantage they can get to remain viable and changing your band'd name after more than 20 years in the business is tantamount to career suicide.

I'm perplexed by all the hate that Watershed gets.  I love that album, and I think it's an album where Opeth were able to offer something for the "tr00" fans as well as some of us newer fans who may not necessarily be thrilled with the all of the grunting on their older stuff.

Heritage.....I don't know.  To my ears, it's a pretty ponderous, meandering and unfocused piece of work.  A few decent tracks bookend the album, but the middle of it is just zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Best Opeth album cover ever, though. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1623 on: April 28, 2014, 02:07:53 PM »
Watershed is my favorite Opeth album.

Offline 425

« Reply #1624 on: April 28, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
I only have Blackwater Park, Watershed and Heritage so far (Ghost Reveries is in the mail), and I love all of them. I'm not sure I can really pick a favorite. Watershed seems to have a bit of an identity crisis going on, more so than the other two, but it somehow pulls off both styles quite well.

Heritage took a while to grow on me but I now find it to be a great album, and I'm excited for Pale Communion based on what I've heard about it so far!
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1625 on: April 28, 2014, 03:27:48 PM »
All I can hope for is that it doesn't look like the artsy fartsy mess that was Heritage's cover. Some cool elements in it, particularly the devils on the bottom, but good god what a mess of an album cover.
No. I just can't agree with you. The Heritage cover is one of my favourite album covers of all time  :lol

By the way, Watershed is also probably my favourite Opeth album, but sometimes I think it may be BWP. Oh well. Can't wait for the first Pale Communion single! (next Tuesday!)

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #1626 on: April 28, 2014, 04:12:22 PM »
The album cover for Heritage is one of the greatest I've ever seen--every time I look at it, I find new details to appreciate. It's beautiful and eerie at the same time, and it honestly looks like something that could have come out of the 70's prog scene. Opeth are pretty consistent when it comes to quality album covers so I am expecting good things with the new one (and I agree, that fake one would have actually been awesome). Another cover I really loved was Ghost Reveries.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1627 on: April 28, 2014, 04:39:48 PM »
I only have Blackwater Park, Watershed and Heritage so far (Ghost Reveries is in the mail), and I love all of them. I'm not sure I can really pick a favorite. Watershed seems to have a bit of an identity crisis going on, more so than the other two, but it somehow pulls off both styles quite well.

Heritage took a while to grow on me but I now find it to be a great album, and I'm excited for Pale Communion based on what I've heard about it so far!

Enjoy Ghost Reveries my man, definitely my favorite Opeth record....such a masterpiece. Strongly recommend you grab Still Life as well!

Offline 425

« Reply #1628 on: April 28, 2014, 07:46:37 PM »
Thanks! I'm really excited to get my hands on it! I doubt I'll have room in my budget to get both Still Life and Pale Communion in June, so I'll probably pick between the two based on the quality of the upcoming single and then get the other in July.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1629 on: April 28, 2014, 08:16:29 PM »
Still Life should be your next one to get since it's their best album. ;)

I quite like the Heritage cover but god do those heads look awfully cheesy on it.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1630 on: April 28, 2014, 11:14:19 PM »
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/interviews/interviews/mikael_akerfeldt_this_record_is_more_melodic_slightly_heavier_and_a_bit_more_schizophrenic.html

Not necessarily a lot of new info in this interview, but Mikael says they recorded the new album in 13 days :o He also finds Ghost Reveries overproduced, which makes me a little sad. I really like the production of that album, although I totally get and kind of agree with what he's saying about the sound of modern metal albums. Speaking of production, I've always liked the sound of MAYH - it's not too raw like the first two albums, but still has a lot of edge.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1631 on: April 29, 2014, 07:21:20 AM »
"This record is more melodic, slightly heavier and a bit more schizophrenic. Inevitably it is also a continuation of "Heritage," I guess."

Yuck, Heritage had enough problems finding a direction to begin with.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1632 on: April 29, 2014, 07:39:50 AM »
In most cases I get more put off by artists describing their new album than I get more interested, and this is one of those cases. What Åkerfeldt is saying is basically making me go "meh", and I can't say I feel super excited about it. But hopefully the album will be good though, that's really all I can hope for.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1633 on: April 29, 2014, 07:46:03 AM »
Sounds fuckin' awesome to me. The name and description of tones is making me think of something very old-school Opeth like in vibe and general 'air' but without the obvious. With all the different instruments they're using on the album it could be brootal in a whole new way.

RIP DTP.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1634 on: April 29, 2014, 07:50:00 AM »
Using the word schizophrenic sounds like he's using it as an excuse to write songs with shitty structure and haphazard changes that are jarring in a bad way in advance of people criticizing that.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1635 on: April 29, 2014, 08:11:38 AM »
Yeah, "schizophrenic" really is the kind of word that rubs me the wrong way. There's good schizophrenic (Mr. Bungle) and bad schizophrenic (Heritage), and considering Opeth made Heritage, I can't say I care for his comments. But again, the album might end up being good, and that's all I hope for. Most artists are so pretentious and/or biased when talking about their own music. It's understandable why, they have worked months on making the album, but that's also why I take these comments with a bag of salt.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1636 on: April 29, 2014, 09:34:09 AM »
I think you're reading way too much into that word - in a general sense, pretty much all of Opeth's music could be described as "schizophrenic", and Heritage was no more so than the rest IMO.

More melodic pleases me though.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1637 on: April 29, 2014, 09:35:24 AM »
Heritage was much more so than the rest. It broke into segways that were extremely jarring and had little to no flow. At least with older material, it may have been a stark contrast between the light and heavy, but usually you could see it coming and it flowed well.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:59:12 AM by Dark Castle »

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1638 on: April 29, 2014, 03:46:54 PM »
He also finds Ghost Reveries overproduced, which makes me a little sad. I really like the production of that album, although I totally get and kind of agree with what he's saying about the sound of modern metal albums. Speaking of production, I've always liked the sound of MAYH - it's not too raw like the first two albums, but still has a lot of edge.
I understand why he thinks Ghost Reveries to be overproduced, but it's not overproduced compared to a handful of other modern metal albums, IMO. I thought Ghost Reveries had a great production. I do love the sound of Lopez's snare drum on MAYH however - it's got a lot of punch to it.

Offline adace

« Reply #1639 on: April 30, 2014, 08:55:54 PM »
So "Cusp of Eternity" is due to be released on May 6th. Really hope they stream it before then. The anticipation is driving me nuts!

Offline adace

« Reply #1640 on: May 05, 2014, 11:47:57 AM »
The new song comes out tomorrow, CAN'T WAIT!!!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1641 on: May 05, 2014, 12:03:33 PM »
 :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1642 on: May 05, 2014, 12:42:49 PM »
Me neither :metal

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1643 on: May 05, 2014, 12:43:26 PM »
WOOOOOOOOT! AWESOME!

RIP DTP.

Offline krands85

« Reply #1644 on: May 05, 2014, 12:49:02 PM »
 :coolio :metal
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww