Author Topic: The official Opeth thread v. Bring on the new album!  (Read 193741 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: The official Opeth thread v. Bring on the new album!
« Reply #1855 on: June 08, 2014, 06:11:59 PM »
 :corn

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #1856 on: June 08, 2014, 08:42:17 PM »
I'm just going to ignore all this and buy the album when it comes out and judge it from there.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1857 on: June 08, 2014, 09:28:10 PM »
The wide range of opinions is fascinating to me. People loving on Cusp and not liking Rains. People loving Rains and mehing on Cusp. People liking the new stuff more than Heritage. People thinking Heritage is good, but this is boring. People not liking either of the songs. People loving them both. People who prefer pre-Heritage material. People who like Opeth more now that they've gone to an all clean style.

Just based on the vast array of reactions alone, I'm inclined to say Michael is a complete genius.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1858 on: June 08, 2014, 10:08:56 PM »
Just based on the vast array of reactions alone, I'm inclined to say Michael is a complete genius.

:lol Isn't that how it works?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1859 on: June 09, 2014, 12:29:05 AM »
I'm just going to ignore all this and buy the album when it comes out and judge it from there.
:tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1860 on: June 09, 2014, 02:23:11 AM »
I feel kinda bad for Mikael though. If he and his family received death threats over Heritage, that kind of shit probably won't stop if Opeth continue down the line making albums like this. It's a shame because he's a musician and he should be able to make the kind of music he wants. It's one thing for us to discuss it, and some people might not be happy with the direction or the result, but when you get to the stage of death threats, that's just messed up.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1861 on: June 09, 2014, 05:06:01 AM »
I feel kinda bad for Mikael though. If he and his family received death threats over Heritage, that kind of shit probably won't stop if Opeth continue down the line making albums like this. It's a shame because he's a musician and he should be able to make the kind of music he wants. It's one thing for us to discuss it, and some people might not be happy with the direction or the result, but when you get to the stage of death threats, that's just messed up.
Agreed. It's ok to be passionate about a band, but being obsessed to the point of threatening to kill a musician, when he writes music that doesn't please you, is just sick.

EDIT:
Proshot footage of the Rock am Ring show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rsZdjGzOpA
Looks like Mendez shaved his head :eek Mikael's growls sound pretty good, although he avoids the higher screams.
I get the feeling that their next tour will be similar to the first couple Heritage tours... i.e. all clean stuff with maybe one or two growly songs at the end.  :-\
I don't think so... I mean, obviously they'll be promoting the new album, and I doubt there won't be anything from Damnation or Heritage, so of course most of the songs won't be death metal, but I think a third or so of the set will be stuff with growls, because they did a growl-free tour already. Songs like When and Serenity Painted Death haven't been played in over 5 years, so this would be a good time to bring them back. Perhaps they'll even premiere Beneath the Mire?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 09:33:15 AM by ? »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1862 on: June 12, 2014, 09:07:12 PM »
People are always talkng about how different the earlier albums are, but I'm listening to Morningrise for the first time right now, and i think it sounds amazing...and really not very different from SL or BWP to my ears at all.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1863 on: June 12, 2014, 09:50:58 PM »
there are some great ideas, riffs, passages, etc on those early albums.  And a great mix of most of the qualities that can be found in "classic Opeth" albums.  The only real difference I detect is that they had not perfected the transitions between the various styles and sections.  Their growth in that area over the first three albums is striking.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1864 on: June 12, 2014, 10:17:40 PM »
Looks like Mendez shaved his head :eek

NOOOOOO he looks like Charlie Day now  :facepalm:

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1865 on: June 12, 2014, 10:32:54 PM »
What do you mean now? He always has, now he's just his twin.  :lol

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1866 on: June 12, 2014, 10:36:51 PM »
Looks like he borrowed inspiration from Niklas the bassist of Katatonia who also cut his hair recently.  :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1867 on: June 13, 2014, 01:09:42 AM »
Guess I'll post it in this thread, MP is interested in collaborating with Åkerfeldt. Nothing new really.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/mike_portnoy_interested_in_collaborating_with_opeths_akerfeldt_would_love_to_lets_go_man.html
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline krands85

« Reply #1868 on: June 13, 2014, 03:49:50 AM »
People are always talkng about how different the earlier albums are, but I'm listening to Morningrise for the first time right now, and i think it sounds amazing...and really not very different from SL or BWP to my ears at all.
I love the first 2 albums, possibly more than MAYH and SL
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1869 on: June 13, 2014, 10:27:44 AM »
Guess I'll post it in this thread, MP is interested in collaborating with Åkerfeldt. Nothing new really.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/mike_portnoy_interested_in_collaborating_with_opeths_akerfeldt_would_love_to_lets_go_man.html

Yeah, I think the bigger news would be if Åkerfeldt was interested, which seems pretty unlikely.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1870 on: June 13, 2014, 11:02:47 AM »
I think Mikael would be open to the idea, but his schedule is pretty hectic so I doubt it'll ever happen.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1871 on: June 13, 2014, 01:38:47 PM »
Still Life is still the only good Opeth album.

#DebateMe

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1872 on: June 13, 2014, 01:52:31 PM »
I honestly find Still Life to be in the bottom three or four Opeth albums.

I know, I know...
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1873 on: June 13, 2014, 01:57:18 PM »
Me too.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1874 on: June 13, 2014, 03:30:43 PM »
Me too.
So do I.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1875 on: June 13, 2014, 03:33:38 PM »
It's at least in my bottom ten.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1876 on: June 13, 2014, 03:40:43 PM »
Yeah Still Life is their best without a doubt. But it's not their only good album, far from it.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1877 on: June 13, 2014, 03:47:14 PM »
Yeah Still Life is their best without a doubt. But it's not their only good album, far from it.

I just can't get into any of their other albums.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1878 on: June 13, 2014, 06:00:02 PM »

I'm sorry for your loss.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1879 on: June 13, 2014, 07:08:20 PM »

I'm not even really that much into Opeth.  I just find it hard to believe anyone could actually like any of Opeth's harsh vocal material, and not like Blackwater Park.   Does...not...compute.

I got really hard core into harsh vocals back in the old school days of bands like Death, Obituary...etc...etc...   They didn't bother me, but for me they got very monotonous VERY quickly.   I have always loved variety, and always been bored by repetition ad nauseum.  (one exception...AC/DC...I have no idea why...but I even get sick of them after I've binged for a day or two)      Harsh vocals just don't have enough variety for me.    But this newer (relative to me) trend of clean and harsh vocals together ads a lot of dynamic.    I love it.

Online Mladen

« Reply #1880 on: June 14, 2014, 03:58:40 AM »
I'd say Still life is, probably... top one.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1881 on: June 14, 2014, 04:04:43 AM »
I'd say Still Life has been overtaken by BWP as #1 for me, but it's a very close number two.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1882 on: June 15, 2014, 05:23:53 AM »

I'm not even really that much into Opeth.  I just find it hard to believe anyone could actually like any of Opeth's harsh vocal material, and not like Blackwater Park.   Does...not...compute.

I got really hard core into harsh vocals back in the old school days of bands like Death, Obituary...etc...etc...   They didn't bother me, but for me they got very monotonous VERY quickly.   I have always loved variety, and always been bored by repetition ad nauseum.  (one exception...AC/DC...I have no idea why...but I even get sick of them after I've binged for a day or two)      Harsh vocals just don't have enough variety for me.    But this newer (relative to me) trend of clean and harsh vocals together ads a lot of dynamic.    I love it.

Still Life has an interesting story that the music, melodies, vocals and all of that jazz do a perfect job of conveying. Everything else just seems...underwhelming. Damnation is okay, however.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1883 on: June 15, 2014, 05:27:59 AM »
Opeth is one of the only harsh vocals bands that I can listen to.  It's because of what snapple listed that pulls me in.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1884 on: June 15, 2014, 05:33:48 AM »
I have no problem with harsh vocals but I have to say that Opeth are pretty straight forward and slightly boring even with their use of vocals. Like it's either growl or cleans, and the growls sound very much the same in the songs that has growls, and the cleans sound mostly the same. I don't mean this as something bad, but I guess I would say Opeth are very very VERY straight-forward and basic with their use of vocals. They're not really that extreme or out there to be honest. If Opeth is a problem getting into, then you'll miss out on a lot of bands far more interesting vocal-wise. And I think Opeth shouldn't be too hard to get into really. The vocals are pretty basic.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1885 on: June 15, 2014, 05:36:56 AM »
I think I like their growl more compared to the "screamo" growls.  That's just the old fart in my though.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1886 on: June 15, 2014, 07:16:09 AM »
I think I like their growl more compared to the "screamo" growls.  That's just the old fart in my though.
Nah, I feel the same way man. I can't stand "screamo" growls either.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1887 on: June 15, 2014, 07:43:37 AM »
I love the first 2 albums, possibly more than MAYH and SL

Morningrise isn't just my favorite Opeth album, it's in my top 10 ever.  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1888 on: June 15, 2014, 08:54:55 AM »
Nah, I feel the same way man. I can't stand "screamo" growls either.
Same here.

I don't find Mikael's harsh vocals too monotonous, 'cause he often varies the pitch from low growls to high screams. However, as you can hear from the recent Rock am Ring recording, he avoids screams nowadays, going with growls all the way, which might sound pretty one-dimensional on a studio album.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1889 on: June 15, 2014, 09:48:06 AM »
The thing I adore about Mikael's vocals is how menacing and evil he can sound with his growls and yet how beautiful and haunting he can be with his clean vocals. The best showcase of this, IMO, is Blackwater Park. He may not be an experimental vocalist, but there's no way you could not be satisfied by his delivery.