Author Topic: My Spanish Professor just really screwed up...  (Read 8050 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
My Spanish Professor just really screwed up...
« on: May 03, 2012, 08:28:56 AM »
Last class we had a review for our final examine. I wasn't able to attend because I was presenting a powerpoint I did (for Spanish) at the language fair. My professor said she would email me the review guide for our final. I just checked my email and she sent me the final itself!  :rollin She is terrible with technology and I know she is never going to realize what she did.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 12:01:28 PM by Chino »

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Re: My Spanish Professor just really screwed up...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 08:30:41 AM »
You might want to consider telling her what she did, anyways.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 08:31:59 AM »

This.

If you need any help with spanish let me know.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 08:33:18 AM »

Consider it, and then throw away the notion. If you tell her she'll have to actually change the final, come up with all new questions in short notice. Proceeding as planned is the kind thing to do.

*Americans for loose morals and ethical run-arounds are responsible for the content of this post*
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 08:33:40 AM »
Hay una fiesta en mis pantalones y todo el mundo que viene.

Consider it, and then throw away the notion. If you tell her she'll have to actually change the final, come up with all new questions in short notice. Proceeding as planned is the kind thing to do.

*Americans for loose morals and ethical run-arounds are responsible for the content of this post*

What if the teacher later realizes what she did?  Could he get in trouble for not having told her?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 08:34:42 AM »
Right now you have the opportunity to be as honest of a man as you will ever be given the chance to be, take it.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 08:35:22 AM »
Maybe she'll let him slide on a few answers, for having been honest.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 08:38:05 AM »
Right now you have the opportunity to be as honest of a man as you will ever be given the chance to be, take it.
Yup, the question isn't about advantages or possible future punishment, it's about who you want to be to yourself.  If you value honesty or your personal values attach some sense of honor to this issue, wouldn't you be truer to yourself to tell her what happened?  What to consider is what your values are.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 08:40:30 AM »
Definition of integrity: Doing the right thing when no one else is looking.

One either has integrity, or doesn't. There is no middle ground (IMO). I would fess up.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 08:41:13 AM »
What if he values an "A" on his Spanish final? :p

Edit: And I am just being an ass, obviously telling her is the right thing to do
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 08:58:14 AM »
Yeah, the right thing to do would be to tell your teacher.

A) You immediately rule out any possibility whatsoever that you'll get in trouble.
B) She'll probably have to write a new test, but it'll look just like the old test anyway, and you still have a local copy of the king of all study guides.
C) On the off chance that she doesn't change the test, you'll still have the king of all study guides, just without the possibility of getting in trouble.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 09:06:59 AM »
...except that assumes he tells her and then keep a copy to study even if she asks for him to delete it.  That's tricking the person into thinking you're honest, not being honest yourself.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 09:09:25 AM »

Wisdom

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 09:12:08 AM »
Just want to weigh in with my two cents: tell her. Openly explain that you think she sent you the actual final in error and that you wanted to make her aware of the mistake. As others have said, she will value your honesty and you will have not only assured that you won't get in trouble, but you will also demonstrate that you are a man of integrity, honesty and respectability. That will do more for your growth and reputation than any A on any written test ever will.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 09:12:29 AM »

Wisdom

And fucking hard earned wisdom at that.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 09:23:28 AM »
Absolutely, tell her. As we say in German, "lies have short legs".

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 09:34:07 AM »
Although the lie may be quick, the truth will catch up with it.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 09:46:57 AM »
Think of the possible outcomes:

1) You don't tell her
and she doesn't find out: 10/10 for this scenario. Chance of it happening: let's say 10%
and she finds out: 0/10 you will probably have to re-take it. Change of this happening is then of course 90%

Score for not telling her: (10*0.1 + 0*0.9) / 2 = 0.5/10

2)You tell her
and she only changes it a little bit: 8/10 because you know exactly what to expect. Chance of this happening: I estimate 75%
and she makes it completely different: 5/10 because now you know as much as you would have had she sent the right email in the first place. 25%

Score for telling her: (8*0.75 + 5*0.25) / 2 = 7.25/10

Or you could just tell her because you want to be a good person, and not because it is obviously the more preferable situation.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 09:47:37 AM »
I appreciate the advice guys, but I'm not telling her lol. I could tell by the file extension that it was the final. I forwarded me a copy of the email to another address without opening it, so as far as she can tell I never looked at it...if it comes to that. I am an MIS major. The jobs I am looking to get require impressive GPA's. I have a 3.51 overall right now, and a bad grade on this Spanish final could bring that as low as a 3.25ish. I'm taking the good grade and running. Sure I'll feel like a scumbag (for a minute or two) but if I land a $60k a year job out of college because of it... it's not gonna bother me in the least. If the school had professors that weren't technology retarded, this would never have happened. I'm not cheating on an exam that I should legitimately know for my career, it's a class that will have no bearing on my future endevors. I shouldn't have to be taking a spanish class anyway, I'm only in it because of an education system that's 50 years out of date. I also don't feel bad because at least half of the class (including me) is going to have their phones out with conjugation apps and google translate open the entire time.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 09:54:28 AM »
Do what you must. But, are you sure you were the only recipient of that email? If someone else got it and blows the whistle it's gonna come back to you.

rumborak

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 09:56:56 AM »
There are so many "what if's" with not saying anything.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 10:00:11 AM »
Do what you must. But, are you sure you were the only recipient of that email? If someone else got it and blows the whistle it's gonna come back to you.

rumborak

I'm positive that I was the only one. She only sent it to me because she asked me to present a project at a fair that was the same time as class. Today was our last day in class before the final and she didn't say anything. I even went up to her and thanked her for sending it to me and that I really appreciate it. Professors get dozens of emails a day, and that number explodes come the last week of classes. Odds are, my email is already several pages back in her inbox folder. She would have to suspect she sent that to me by accident, actually find it (unlikely cause she doesn't know what's she's doing), prove that I received and opened it, and then explain to the department head that she screwed up.... Worst comes to worst.... I just say that I thought what she sent me was the review. Maybe a past final that was no longer in use.... There is no way this is going to come back and bite me.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 10:05:16 AM »
Chino, 9 years ago I tried to cheat on my Spanish final on my last year of college and I got caught. Teacher passed me anyway cause she was dating one of my good friends heh
I'll feel better about that fact if you got away with it ;D
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 10:29:45 AM »
Chino, 9 years ago I tried to cheat on my Spanish final on my last year of college and I got caught. Teacher passed me anyway cause she was dating one of my good friends heh

I've been doing this since highschool, never got caught.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 10:31:56 AM »

rumborak

I'm positive that I was the only one. She only sent it to me because she asked me to present a project at a fair that was the same time as class. Today was our last day in class before the final and she didn't say anything. I even went up to her and thanked her for sending it to me and that I really appreciate it. Professors get dozens of emails a day, and that number explodes come the last week of classes. Odds are, my email is already several pages back in her inbox folder. She would have to suspect she sent that to me by accident, actually find it (unlikely cause she doesn't know what's she's doing), prove that I received and opened it, and then explain to the department head that she screwed up.... Worst comes to worst.... I just say that I thought what she sent me was the review. Maybe a past final that was no longer in use.... There is no way this is going to come back and bite me.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 10:40:54 AM »
I appreciate the advice guys, but I'm not telling her lol. I could tell by the file extension that it was the final. I forwarded me a copy of the email to another address without opening it, so as far as she can tell I never looked at it...if it comes to that. I am an MIS major. The jobs I am looking to get require impressive GPA's. I have a 3.51 overall right now, and a bad grade on this Spanish final could bring that as low as a 3.25ish. I'm taking the good grade and running. Sure I'll feel like a scumbag (for a minute or two) but if I land a $60k a year job out of college because of it... it's not gonna bother me in the least. If the school had professors that weren't technology retarded, this would never have happened. I'm not cheating on an exam that I should legitimately know for my career, it's a class that will have no bearing on my future endevors. I shouldn't have to be taking a spanish class anyway, I'm only in it because of an education system that's 50 years out of date. I also don't feel bad because at least half of the class (including me) is going to have their phones out with conjugation apps and google translate open the entire time.

Wow.  That's some impressive rationalization there.  You should go into politics.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 10:44:34 AM »
I would tell you that what you are doing is wrong but I will actually tell you a story from when I was in high school. Last year in high school we had a test that all courses had to take for each of the main subjects, math, physics, spanish.... I turns out that a couple of kids got the physics test. The kids were smart enough to actually put some wrong answers so to not rise any suspicions however they were caught and had to recourse the whole year.

It's up to you and as I said, if you need any help with spanish let me know.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2012, 10:47:46 AM »
I will admit, I put shorthand notes (that basically no one other than myself could make sense of) on my right (non-writing) palm throughout all of high school and through three different colleges without ever getting caught. So yeah, like many, I'm not supporting what Chino's doing, but frankly I'm not perfect and I know most others aren't either.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2012, 10:49:11 AM »

Dude, wtf. You were just complaining about people using their conjugation apps etc., and you've been cheating since highschool? Whatev.

rumborak

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2012, 11:00:10 AM »
This thread is fascinating.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2012, 11:05:14 AM »
Dude, wtf. You were just complaining about people using their conjugation apps etc., and you've been cheating since highschool? Whatev.

rumborak

I didn't take it as complaining that they were doing it.  It seemed more like "Hey, others will be cheating regardless, so why should I not avail myself of some sort of advantage also?"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 11:07:55 AM »

*snip*

rumborak

I wasnt complaining, I said "I also don't feel bad because at least half of the class (including me) is going to have their phones out with conjugation apps and google translate open the entire time"

I dedicate a lot of time to school. I am on campus at least 40 hours a week. I always have tons of work to do. If I have 10 hours to spend in the library on a given day, I have to manage that how I see best. I am going to spend as much time as I can on the courses that are actually going to apply to my field. I could spend 7 hours practicing finance and 3 on spanish, or all 10 on finance. I choose all 10 on finance because I feel that's what is actually best for my future. I'm sure that seems twisted, but I am going to use the resources hear to learn what I am going to need to know for life, not just what I'm going to need to "know" for a language exam.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 11:09:48 AM »
That's how I understood it too.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2012, 11:10:26 AM »
I wonder how many people saying that he should fess up and tell her would actually do it themselves.  Forgive my pessimism, but I have seen a lot of grandstanding by people over the years when it comes to morals and integrity, and more often than not, those people are full of shit; I can think of several ex-co-workers off the top of my head.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2012, 11:10:35 AM »
I cheated once in 8th grade, this kid next to me and I hadn't finished our big science homework and he told me we should fill in each other's sheets, with a few mistakes here and there of course.  Throughout the day I just kept feeling like I shouldn't have done that, so by the time I got home I was crying and immediately told my parents.  The next morning we went in to talk to the teacher, I told him what happened, apologized, and I got to re do the paper because I was honest, while the other kid didn't, and got a detention.  Needless to say he never talked to me again, even though the teacher made up a bogus story about the substitute spotting us.