Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 308396 times)

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #490 on: May 29, 2012, 12:55:30 PM »
much of this album was written and performed by the members of Toto.

Not true.  Four of the nine songs were written by Jackson himself (including three of the biggest hits), and Human Nature is the only song on the album with a songwriting credit related to someone from Toto.

You're right.  I should have said "Much of the album was recorded by the members of Toto."  That being said, even though HN is the only official songwriting credit, i'm sure they were influential.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #491 on: May 30, 2012, 08:44:43 AM »
It's all good. :hat

Toto - Africa

I loved this song when it first hit the scene, and to this day, I still love it.  The music is terrific, the video was entertaining, and who hasn't gone almost hoarse a few times singing along to the chorus?  :biggrin:

Offline dbrooks22

• Facilities Manager
« Reply #492 on: May 30, 2012, 09:28:42 AM »
Perfect Segue  ;D

I absolutely love this track.  And it's amazing how well it has aged.  Wow - what a song! 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #493 on: May 30, 2012, 09:35:15 AM »
I still can't decide whether this thread makes me feel good, or just feel old.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #494 on: May 30, 2012, 10:33:48 AM »
Can not say enough about Africa.  My brother and I as kids played this song to the record in our basement. (Me on acoustic and him on bass).

Love singing the low harmonies (David Paich's) and I wish I saw them more than once live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #495 on: May 30, 2012, 11:18:07 AM »
Got a good one.  Way back in the day, about twelve years ago, the fellow chefs and I used to drink at a very seedy bar, filled with drunks and drug addicts, hell of a place, my type of bar.  After getting a thorough drunk on, we were just casually shooting pool.  Africa comes on.  Two dudes, hammered, strung out, and tattoo'ed to the hilt, are watching the ant races at the end of the bar(passed out basically).  The song shakes them out of their stupor and the start rocking out to it like they're seeing Zeppelin playing Whole Lotta Love or something.  Now don't get me wrong, it is a great song, but it isn't the type for that caliber rocking out, we couldn't stop laughing, fucking hysterical.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #496 on: May 30, 2012, 11:18:57 AM »
Africa is one of my all-time favorite tracks.

When my grandmother bought a new Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera in the early 80's, it came with a demo cassette tape with 4 "programs", kind of like an old 8-track used to have.

Program 1 started with the Oldsmobile Jingle then had modern adult rock and roll stuff with Neil Diamond, Barbara Streisand, Bertie Higgins' "Key Largo" and of course Toto's "Africa".

Program 2 was more country-type songs.  Program 3 had more jazzy stuff and included Weather Report's "Birdland" (awesome!).  And Program 4 had classical (including "Also Sprach Zarathustra").

I wore that tape out constantly playing and rewinding "Africa".

Here is the Oldsmobile Jingle for your listening pleasure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5dEF11QZ7k
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #497 on: May 30, 2012, 11:21:22 AM »
The intro keyboards are a bit cheesy and 80s, which is exactly why I love them. :hat Big chorus that really contrasts with those nice soft verses.
Good album too. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #498 on: May 30, 2012, 11:57:58 AM »

No kidding.

One comment about Billie Jean - AWESOME.  Thriller was SO huge, and it was a damn good album too.

Africa, though?  Okay, if you must. :lol   Sorry, that song didn't age well for me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #499 on: May 30, 2012, 12:15:01 PM »

I think it does both for me. :lol

I mean, I can't believe Thriller is 30 years old now. :eek :eek :eek

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #500 on: May 30, 2012, 12:35:08 PM »

I think it does both for me. :lol

I mean, I can't believe Thriller is 30 years old now. :eek :eek :eek

No kidding, man.  I remember when the world premier video was released for Thriller (the song), and how groundbreaking it was.  I set the VCR and recorded that sucker.  :lol

No kidding.

One comment about Billie Jean - AWESOME.  Thriller was SO huge, and it was a damn good album too.

Africa, though?  Okay, if you must. :lol   Sorry, that song didn't age well for me.

I wasn't in love with it at the time, but it has grown on me a lot.  I dunno.  A lot of songs that I didn't love back then are much easier to appreciate now.  I wish they would do a compilation DVD set (like those compilation CD's on those informercials) with the original music videos for a lot of these songs.  I would definitely pay for that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #501 on: May 30, 2012, 12:39:34 PM »
I wish they would, too; I'd buy those in a heartbeat.  But for now, I am content with the occasional youtube viewing of this video or that video and setting my DVR for Classic 80s on VH1 Classic every morning. :coolio

Speaking of those compilation CDs, I have like 12 of those Sounds of the Eighties CDs that Time released in the 90s. I remember seeing the commercials for them back then, and it was like $15 a month for a year for them to send you a new CD every month.  Given that easy access to buying single songs on the internet wasn't around yet, those CDs were a gold mine for me at the time.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #502 on: May 30, 2012, 12:55:05 PM »
We should do an '80s tournament where people nominate their top 10, and then we do a second round where we cull out the top however many and have people rank their top 5 or so from those and then talley the scores.  Do you think it would interfere too much with this thread if I ran that?  I'm thinking maybe doing one for all genres, with the caveat that songs should have a video that was played on MTV in the '80s.  And then maybe do a hard rock/metal round as well.  Thoughts?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #503 on: May 30, 2012, 01:06:33 PM »
I think that could be cool, but the problem is that there aren't that many people who are participating in this thread, and you'd likely get people nominating stuff like Rush, Maiden, etc. (since they technically were played on MTV), as opposed to playing videos that were closely associated with MTV and videos, and then it'd become a big cluster you-know-what. ;)  Maybe worth a shot, but perhaps start a new thread for it?  That way, this one can stay on course. :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #504 on: May 30, 2012, 01:12:37 PM »
I shall try.  If it fails, it fails.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #505 on: May 30, 2012, 01:21:43 PM »
Do or do not.  There is no "try".

Offline T-ski

« Reply #506 on: May 30, 2012, 01:36:35 PM »
I'll throw an 80's song into the fray, Daryl Hall "Dreamtime."

Hall & Oates is a top 5 80's act if you ask me, and when Daryl Hall decided to do his own thing in 1987, he decided to work with Dave Stewart (Eurythmics) and the result was the album "Three Hearts in the Happy Ending Machine"

"Dreamtime" was a big hit and til this day is one of my favorite 80's tunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-AMiFuymH8
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #507 on: May 30, 2012, 02:12:13 PM »
I'm your huckleberry Kev and bosk1!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #508 on: May 30, 2012, 02:17:11 PM »
I think that could be cool, but the problem is that there aren't that many people who are participating in this thread, and you'd likely get people nominating stuff like Rush, Maiden, etc. (since they technically were played on MTV), as opposed to playing videos that were closely associated with MTV and videos, and then it'd become a big cluster you-know-what. ;)  Maybe worth a shot, but perhaps start a new thread for it?  That way, this one can stay on course. :)

I may not comment on every song, but I'm reading and keeping up with this.  There may be more people lurking that don't always comment.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #509 on: May 30, 2012, 02:20:05 PM »
Oh, I know! :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #510 on: May 30, 2012, 02:23:36 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #511 on: May 31, 2012, 09:53:51 AM »
I'll throw an 80's song into the fray, Daryl Hall "Dreamtime."

Hall & Oates is a top 5 80's act if you ask me, and when Daryl Hall decided to do his own thing in 1987, he decided to work with Dave Stewart (Eurythmics) and the result was the album "Three Hearts in the Happy Ending Machine"

"Dreamtime" was a big hit and til this day is one of my favorite 80's tunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-AMiFuymH8

Pretty good song.  I like the main riff and the chorus is nice.  Was never a favorite, but I liked it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #512 on: May 31, 2012, 09:55:50 AM »
USA for Africa - We Are the World

I am pretty convinced that if someone has never heard the song before, and checked it out now, they would think it is one of the cheesiest things ever, but back then, it was pretty neat seeing all of those stars come together to do a song like that for a good cause.  The Ray Charles vocal parts of this song still give me goosebumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9BNoNFKCBI

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #513 on: May 31, 2012, 10:04:26 AM »
USA for Africa - We Are the World

I am pretty convinced that if someone has never heard the song before, and checked it out now, they would think it is one of the cheesiest things ever, but back then, it was pretty neat seeing all of those stars come together to do a song like that for a good cause.  The Ray Charles vocal parts of this song still give me goosebumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9BNoNFKCBI

Agreed.  And while it probably won't make your list for this thread, I would say the same thing about Stars.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7eqxg92YG0

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #514 on: May 31, 2012, 10:44:40 AM »
Great concept; pretty good song.  WATW<Do They Know it's Christmas<Tears Are Not Enough.  And I don't say that just to be patriotic.  All three were good.  Amazing to comprehend that all of these were written, recorded and mixed in a day or so.  Not sure if Geldof spent more time writing Do They Know... but the other two certainly were.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #515 on: May 31, 2012, 11:01:31 AM »
The song isn't bad, and since there weren't a lot of "world anthems" around at the time, you could say that it was the model for the ones which followed.  Of all of them, I think this one annoys me the least, so I guess that makes it the best.

The fun part of watching the video of course is seeing how many people you recognize before you hear them sing, though recognizing them afterwards still counts for some points.  I tended to suck at that because I don't know a lot of 80's acts by face, though I'd usually get the ones from the 70's and before.  I mean, who doesn't know Ray Charles?

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #516 on: May 31, 2012, 11:47:35 AM »
Do They Know It's Christmas > We Are The World

Although I do admit, the first time I heard WATW it was okay but then it got WAY overplayed.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #517 on: May 31, 2012, 01:56:08 PM »
Rod Stewart - Infatuation

Nice rocking tune, featuring some stellar guitar lead work by Jeff Beck.  I am not a big fan of Stewart, but I do like this song a lot.  Memorable video in its time, too, as it was 1984, back when the best videos were the ones that told little stories that may or may not have had something to do with the song. :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #518 on: May 31, 2012, 02:29:50 PM »
Ah, but this one did, and the girl was hot, too.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #519 on: June 01, 2012, 02:58:19 AM »
Never a HUGE fan of his, but Infatuation is a good song.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #520 on: June 01, 2012, 05:34:46 AM »
I was never a fan much either (including this track), but his Unplugged album is money.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #521 on: June 01, 2012, 09:36:50 AM »
Loverboy - Working for the Weekend

I remember when this song and video were out, I was 8, and because of the editing of the video, I thought their drummer was totally awesome. :lol  And of course years later, the song now reminds many of us of the classic SNL Chippendales sketch.  But it's still a good, fun song.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #522 on: June 01, 2012, 09:48:15 AM »
I love the song, but until 5 minutes ago had never seen the music video, so um..... thanks? :lol
Drummer was definitely the highlight of that video.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #523 on: June 01, 2012, 10:15:38 AM »
I was in a band in the 80's and we did a number of Loverboy songs, including this one.  I thought it was great.  The synth hook with the descending intervals (inverted fifth, inverted tri-tone, inverted fourth) was awesome and of course the chorus was one of great party anthems of the time.  Great song.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #524 on: June 01, 2012, 02:59:17 PM »
Loverboy - Working for the Weekend

I remember when this song and video were out, I was 8, and because of the editing of the video, I thought their drummer was totally awesome. :lol  And of course years later, the song now reminds many of us of the classic SNL Chippendales sketch.  But it's still a good, fun song.

The "classic rock" radio station where I lived played this every Friday at 5:00.  After 50-60 weeks that shit starts to get old.   ;)