Author Topic: Sonata Arctica thread  (Read 128108 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Sonata Arctica thread
« Reply #455 on: April 27, 2011, 08:32:41 AM »
I saw SA live last week! :metal  The setlist was the same as the one that'll be on the DVD, but without Tallulah and (obviously) the acoustic set. Tony is such a great frontman, he's almost as good comedian as Mikael Åkerfeldt IMO.

Kosmo

« Reply #456 on: May 14, 2011, 03:14:40 PM »

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #457 on: May 14, 2011, 05:23:48 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #458 on: May 14, 2011, 05:36:19 PM »
Wow, Chris, I had no idea you were such a huge fan of Sonata Arctica :neverusethis:

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #459 on: May 14, 2011, 11:38:45 PM »
I hate rap, but at least that rapper has a good taste! :lol

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: June 21, 2011, 07:04:06 AM »
Bumping this thread for a good reason: on this very day 10 years ago Silence was released in Japan! I think I'll listen to the album to celebrate...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jsem

« Reply #462 on: July 21, 2011, 04:19:41 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEjsP-Qs0B0

Uhh..Wha...Well fuck.
WOAH!

Also, I'm willing to check out this band.. which album should I check out first.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #463 on: July 21, 2011, 04:22:31 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEjsP-Qs0B0

Uhh..Wha...Well fuck.
WOAH!

Also, I'm willing to check out this band.. which album should I check out first.

Probably Ecliptica for the power metal era and Unia for the "new era", I guess. I like to think that Reckoning Night is somewhere in between
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline jsem

« Reply #464 on: July 21, 2011, 04:42:40 PM »
Which "era" is better then?

Offline Fuzzboy

« Reply #465 on: July 21, 2011, 05:11:36 PM »
eh i dunno. By "new era" I meant more proggy-epic type era. I'd rather listen to the new stuff, but a few years ago I'd have said the opposite.

Every album they've done is great really. The newest album kinda drags on a bit I think, and Winterheart's Guild I'm not too fond of, but you'll find plenty of people that will say the opposite, so it's somethin you gotta check out yourself I suppose
women cops are a joke

Kosmo

« Reply #466 on: July 21, 2011, 05:56:17 PM »
Well Unia is my favorite album but as a close second comes Silence which is the older era so I don't really know. I started with the power metal stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: July 21, 2011, 06:00:11 PM »
Well Unia is my favorite album but as a close second comes Silence which is the older era so I don't really know. I started with the power metal stuff.

Pretty much this.

I'd start with Silence though.

Kosmo

« Reply #468 on: July 21, 2011, 06:29:16 PM »
So..Did you choose yet? :caffeine:

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: July 21, 2011, 11:51:58 PM »
My first album was Unia and it was love at first listen! If you prefer prog to power metal, get it first. If you want something between those two styles, I recommend Reckoning Night; it's a kind of transition album. That said, RN is my personal least favorite album! :lol I agree that Silence is the best power metal album they did. I don't get the hate for The Days of Grays, I think it's a top 3 album for them.

Kosmo

« Reply #470 on: July 22, 2011, 04:12:18 AM »
Reckoning Night is good, it contains my favorite song White Pearl Black Oceans but as a whole Unia is my absolute favorite.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: July 22, 2011, 06:05:08 AM »
Reckoning Night was a huge letdown.  Only had 3 or 4 really good tracks, the rest were just meh.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: July 22, 2011, 07:03:13 AM »
I think the problem with Reckoning Night is that the fast songs aren't as good as they were on the first three, and the proggy pieces don't reach the quality of those on Unia and The Days of Grays. Even Tony himself said in some interview that he doesn't like the double-bass songs on RN, as they were forced: he wrote them for the sake of having some power metal tracks to please the fans.

Offline stryker

« Reply #473 on: July 22, 2011, 07:10:40 AM »
I'm with Kosmo, I liked Reckoning Night.  Wildfire is easily one of my favorite songs they ever did!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: July 22, 2011, 07:11:04 AM »
I think the problem with Reckoning Night is that the fast songs aren't as good as they were on the first three, and the proggy pieces don't reach the quality of those on Unia and The Days of Grays. Even Tony himself said in some interview that he doesn't like the double-bass songs on RN, as they were forced: he wrote them for the sake of having some power metal tracks to please the fans.

Yeah, pretty much.  They just didn't deliver and have the killer hooks that we all loved on the earlier albums.  It's like the band were just going through the motions on that album.

Kosmo

« Reply #475 on: July 22, 2011, 08:49:22 AM »
I wonder if there's going to be some album news soon. TDOG came out in 2009 so it's starting to be that time.

Offline jsem

« Reply #476 on: July 22, 2011, 10:47:54 AM »
Listening to Unia. Liking it so far, I will def check out their earlier material too.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #477 on: July 22, 2011, 11:54:26 AM »
I wonder if there's going to be some album news soon. TDOG came out in 2009 so it's starting to be that time.
They're doing some festivals in August and after that Tony will start writing new stuff. I guess (and hope) the news about the DVD will arrive earlier.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #478 on: July 23, 2011, 03:31:22 PM »
I loved the earlier, more power metal CDs that Sonata Arctica did-Silence is a masterpiece in that regard-and honestly, when I saw the band moving in a more progressive direction on Reckoning Night, I was excited to hear where they were going next. But neither Unia or TDOG really clicked with me, and I'm not sure why. Perhaps they deserve another listen now, but I dunno-I don't think they ever made a better CD than Silence, which is totally freaking brilliant, and maybe I never will.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #479 on: July 23, 2011, 06:35:08 PM »
Unia is by far their best album, TDOG is easily their worst.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #480 on: July 23, 2011, 06:56:21 PM »
SA used to be among my favorites.  When I liked them, it was all about Silence and Ecliptica.  Reckoning Night was okay.  Unia was terrible.  I hated the harmonizing effect on the vocals.  It was such a departure from Tony's usual clean sound.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: August 04, 2011, 01:57:20 AM »
https://www.sonataarctica.info/site07/index.php?s=1&l=uk&nid=166&n_xID=166&ntop=0
Finnish Metal wolves SONATA ARCTICA are howling again - namely in the form of a new live DVD! "Live In Finland" shows the full concert which was played on the 15th of April 2011 in Club Teatria in Oulu, Finland. Apart from timeless classics à la 'Full Moon' or 'Letter To Dana', various tracks of the current album "The Days Of Grays" have found their way into the setlist, thus on the DVD as well. This heady mixture of old and new compositions of SONATA ARCTICA is supplemented by a bonus DVD on which four recorded tracks of the very own SONATA ARCTICA festival can be found that took place on the 8th of August 2009 in Kemi. Furthermore, the viewer can enjoy the music videos of 'Don't Say A Word', 'Paid In Full' and 'Flag In The Ground' as well as a photo gallery and some making-ofs that document the DVD's creation. The enclosed bonus CD with eight audio recordings of the festival concert gives the final touch to this release so that "Live In Finland" will make each and every SONATA ARCTICA fan cry tears of joy.

Keyboarder Henrik Klingenberg states: "It's been a very hot summer here in Finland, and while most people headed to the beach, we've been working ourasses off editing and compiling our new DVD. This time around we wanted to give you a show from our homecountry Finland. The main show was filmed at the Teatria club in Oulu, Finland, last April. It showcases Sonata Arctica towards the end of the Days of Grays World Tour which started back in 2009. We played a total of over 180 shows in almost 40 countries during the tour. This will be a 2-DVD release with lots of bonuses, we'll have tour documentaries, making-ofs as well as music videos and bonus songs from our very own Sonata Arctica Open Air festival, held in our hometown Kemi in August 2009. Whether you missed us or checked us out during this world tour, this DVD will be the complete guide to what we've been up to these past two years. I'm sure you all will enjoy watching this DVD as much as we've enjoyed making it. The Days of Grays World Tour has been absolutely fantastic and I'm very happy that we've managed to capture all the ups and downs on film. You'll know what I'm talking about when we get this monsterpackage out!"

Convince yourselves! Cutoff date is the 28th of October, 2011. Autumn will be colorful - thanks to SONATA ARCTICA!
Hmm... I hope those 4 songs from the open air gig are White Pearl, Black Oceans and Draw Me plus 2 songs that weren't played on the main show.
I hated the harmonizing effect on the vocals.  It was such a departure from Tony's usual clean sound.
There have always been vocal harmonies in SA's music, the amount of backing vocal tracks has just increased over the years.

Offline Fuzzboy

« Reply #482 on: August 11, 2011, 01:43:26 AM »
BUMP.

Last night I listened to the orchestral version of DTOG and, while I LOVE every album SA has done, I think this is the greatest thing they've done. It's very dramatic, epic, and it gives off a very soundtrack-ish feel. I recommend everyone check it out. I'm hoping it helps to get me into the full album at some point.
women cops are a joke

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: August 11, 2011, 06:20:56 AM »
I like the orchestral versions too! :tup I listen to them rarely but when I do, I'm always amazed at them.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #484 on: September 09, 2011, 12:02:48 AM »

RN does come across as a bit of a transition album, although my two favorite tracks are on there. Don't Say a Word is fantastic and White Pearls, Black Oceans is EPIC :metal. By far my favorite SA song.

I remember hating Unia on my first listen, but it quickly grew to be my favorite. Strange how that is... and then Days of Grays was released and I loved it even more. I still like the old material, but the change was needed and came at a good time. The lyrics are still a bit cheesy, but that's always been their charm. It's an acquired taste, but once you're hooked, its delicious.

"Walking in the cool night air without underwear". Classic! :rollin

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: September 09, 2011, 03:07:24 AM »

Kosmo

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #487 on: September 09, 2011, 11:13:27 PM »
Looks like they didn't include Tallulah on the DVD, despite playing it in the main set... Well, it's not one of my favorites so I think only the teen-age girl fans are disappointed! :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #488 on: September 09, 2011, 11:30:54 PM »
I like Unia, although it doesn't seem too popular amongst the band's older fans.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Kosmo

« Reply #489 on: September 10, 2011, 02:07:48 AM »
Looks like they didn't include Tallulah on the DVD, despite playing it in the main set... Well, it's not one of my favorites so I think only the teen-age girl fans are disappointed! :lol
Tallulah is probably the worst ballad from Sonata anyway.