Author Topic: Sonata Arctica thread  (Read 129215 times)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: Sonata Arctica thread
« Reply #630 on: March 27, 2013, 07:07:56 AM »
Well, now that we're talking about old-school SA and about Jani, I might as well post some pictures :lol

pre-beard Tony

pre-red hair Jani

Henkka in a skirt because fuck gender roles seriously:

Weird as fuck Ecliptica promo:

And some adorability:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #631 on: March 27, 2013, 07:19:37 AM »
pre-beard Tony

Maybe he looks so amazed because of his lack of beard? :lol
Weird as fuck Ecliptica promo:

It's actually pre-Ecliptica, according to the booklet of The Collection (don't have a copy myself, but I once borrowed it from the library) it's 97 or 98 (I think) ;) Another similar photo:

Reminds me of some Majesty-era DT pics - why do all young bands have to pose with their instruments? :lol

EDIT: Wait a minute, it says 1997 on the instrument photo - it has to be 98 though, since Janne is there.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #632 on: March 27, 2013, 07:26:53 AM »
Because you need to know who's who :laugh: nothing beats KM casually holding a keyboard though :metal

I don't think Janne Kivilahti joined until '99, late '98 at the very earliest so I don't know whether that '97 date in the bottom of the oldest picture is legit.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #633 on: March 27, 2013, 07:31:55 AM »
I remember reading in some interview that he joined in late '98. Speaking of inties and Janne, here's one with him - have you read it? https://www.truemetal.org/sonataarctica/haast-janne-eng.html

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: March 27, 2013, 07:40:21 AM »
I remember reading in some interview that he joined in late '98. Speaking of inties and Janne, here's one with him - have you read it? https://www.truemetal.org/sonataarctica/haast-janne-eng.html
No I haven't :o

*reads*

He liked In Flames and Dream Theater :metal I wonder what is he doing now. I also hate how Mikko Harkin went almost completely under the radar, I think he's doing something with Timo Tolkki now and I think that, besides Cain's Offering, the only project he was involved in that actually generated some buzz was Solution.45?

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #635 on: March 27, 2013, 07:45:17 AM »
Well, Tony looks considerably better with the beard  :tup
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: March 27, 2013, 07:52:09 AM »
Janne had a good taste in music! :metal He got a regular job after quitting Sonata: https://www.metalkings.ru/reviews/interviews-sonata_arctica.htm
MetalKings.com: What is your former bass player Janne Kivilahti doing at present? Is he playing in any band or has he quit music?

TK: I think he's working in a local papermill or something. Haven't seen him in a while. He's not playing bass anymore that I know.
I also hate how Mikko Harkin went almost completely under the radar, I think he's doing something with Timo Tolkki now and I think that, besides Cain's Offering, the only project he was involved in that actually generated some buzz was Solution.45?
Mikko was involved in a Christian metal band called Wingdom, but they only recorded one album in 2005. The Tolkki project you're referring to, Symfonia, also got buried after just one album, so I have no idea what else he's been up to. Tony said that Mikko "got into some religious charade making us look bad with his talks, so I think it’s best to keep the distance in the future too."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: March 27, 2013, 08:25:10 AM »
When I said Tolkki project, I meant the new one, Avalon:
https://www.metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=19474

Derek is also there, which I find really awesome :metal

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: March 27, 2013, 08:31:48 AM »
Oh, I forgot that Mikko is involved in that project too! :facepalm: Now I also remember that he was announced as the touring keyboardist for Luca Turilli's Rhapsody.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #639 on: March 27, 2013, 08:35:08 AM »
The most baffling guest spot on that album has got to be Jens' though :lol

Glad things are picking up for Mikko.

Offline Fisi

« Reply #640 on: March 27, 2013, 08:43:28 AM »
It has been interesting to read this discussion about Jani. I used to be quite a big Sonata Arctica fan when Unia was released, and I really liked that album. When they announced that Jani would be leaving, I didn't really care - I thought Sonata Arctica was 'Tony's band' and they weren't a very guitar based one, so how could the change of guitar players be a problem? Well, The Days of Grays was a slight disappointment to me - I still liked quite many songs on it, but I felt like the others were just fillers. Then came Stones Grow Her Name, which is like the perfect example of what I wouldn't like Sonata Arctica to do. I mean, I like prog, I like power metal (even though I never really liked Sonata Arctica's straightforward power metal songs that much) and I also like symphonic elements. Then they decide to ditch all that and start playing hard rock. Yeah, you guessed it, I don't like hard rock. To be honest, SGHN was a bit better than I expected, but it's not what I'd want to hear from the band that made cool albums like Reckoning Night and Unia.

When Sonata Arctica made two disappointing records, Jani released Gather the Faithful, one of my favourite power metal albums ever, the great acoustic Blackoustic album and took part in writing two awesome songs for the latest Stratovarius album. It may all very well be just a weird coincidence, but it has really started to make me wonder whether Jani's influence to the Sonata Arctica sound that I used to love was much bigger than I had thought.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #641 on: March 27, 2013, 08:49:15 AM »
The most baffling guest spot on that album has got to be Jens' though :lol

Glad things are picking up for Mikko.
Jens said he wants to help Tolkki get back on track, which is a very kind move from him.

I found an old Finnish interview with Mikko - he talks about his Christianity and says that his teenage years were pretty rough and he felt empty until he found God. Getting to tour the world with Sonata was basically a dream come true, but he didn't have enough time to pray and the rock'n'roll lifestyle was too much for him, which is why he left.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: July 12, 2013, 12:57:38 AM »
Tony was interviewed after the latest gig in Finland: https://www.soundi.fi/uutiset/sonata-arctican-keikkatauko-paattyi-katso-kuvat-ja-lue-haastattelu-uutisia-uudesta

He says they plan on entering the studio in September and try to get the album done by Christmas, so that it could be released in early April. Tony has written 50(!) songs and one of them is a 10-minute epic. According to him the new album will be heavier than SGHN.

The mention about the epic is promising, because Wildfire II and III were my favorites on the last album (I'm not expecting a new Power of One though) and hopefully this means that the new album will be at least a bit proggier. SGHN was awesome at first, but after multiple listens the songs started to get a little stale.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #643 on: July 13, 2013, 09:58:00 AM »
Sounds good to me!

Although, I only have Ecliptica. I need to get some of their other albums.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: July 13, 2013, 11:01:11 AM »
One bit of the interview made some Finnish power metal fans dissatisfied:
Some [of these songs] will surely fit Sonata, at least the slower and more mellow stuff. Back in the day I ended up "raping" some songs, because we needed more fast tunes with double kicks, which is something I regret in hindsight, but that's life.
(the last phrase may sound weird in the context of the intie, but I didn't know any other appropriate way to translate it)
Although, I only have Ecliptica. I need to get some of their other albums.
Get Unia. Right now.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #645 on: July 13, 2013, 11:03:23 AM »
I shall endeavor to do so. Unfortunately, I don't get to a music store very often.

I could order from Amazon, I guess.... brb

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #646 on: July 14, 2013, 12:19:32 AM »
Unia is pretty different from Ecliptica, being proggier and more unique. It can take some time to grow, but I'm sure you'll enjoy it :)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: August 11, 2013, 04:26:06 AM »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: August 26, 2013, 09:12:07 AM »
Marko leaves the band

Marko never looked very enthusiastic on stage, but I thought he was Sonata's JMX and it was natural for him, so I didn't really expect this. However, I had thought that if someone left SA it would probably be Marko. Incidentally, I listened to the Live in Finland CDs yesterday after a period of not listening to Sonata!

Pasi has played together with Henkka and worked with the band before, so I bet he'll fit in nicely. We'll see if his prog metal background has any influence on the bass work and/or the songs on the next album...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 09:42:34 AM by ? »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: August 26, 2013, 10:16:49 AM »
I hope it does have influence.

I saw Winterborn open for Sonata on TDoG tour and Pasi was totally awesome; very energetic, smiling and engaging all the time; he filmed us and threw CD singles and tiny merch items into the crowd after the show. So even though I'm a little sad, I've totally accepted this (could be the fact that I don't care so terribly much for Sonata as opposed to a few years ago, so this isn't tough to handle).

Interestingly, when Jani left, the only other dude (besides Elias) they were considering was the lead Winterborn guitarist (forgot the name whoops).

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: August 26, 2013, 10:18:51 AM »
Interestingly, when Jani left, the only other dude (besides Elias) they were considering was the lead Winterborn guitarist (forgot the name whoops).
Yeah, I remember reading about that. It's better they picked Elias so that they didn't end up stealing 2 members from Winterborn :D

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #651 on: September 11, 2013, 04:03:11 AM »
Alone in Heaven (official video)

Basic performance video, but better than Shitload of Money :P It actually reminds me of 80s power ballad videos and seeing Tony with an acoustic guitar makes that vibe even stronger :lol

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: January 09, 2014, 04:00:28 AM »
New album Pariah's Child out on March 28

Too bad they went back to the old logo; I like the 2007 one more :-\ I'm not overly excited about power metal elements coming back, either, but hopefully the new album won't lose its edge as quickly as SGHN did.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: January 09, 2014, 04:05:23 AM »
I welcome the power metal sound.  The last two were terrible.  Hopefully, they can come back with something special, they are capable.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: January 09, 2014, 07:07:41 AM »
I welcome the power metal sound too, but don't agree about the last two. Stones were admittedly pretty meh, but TDOG over the years has become one of my favourite outputs of theirs.

And I hope they'll announce Russian tour date soon.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #655 on: January 09, 2014, 01:00:09 PM »
I welcome the power metal sound.  The last two were terrible.  Hopefully, they can come back with something special, they are capable.

I only regularly listen to the first 4 albums.
Last three have been a massive disappointment to say the least.
Since Janne left Tony has strangled the SA sound with way too many layers of vocals not many guitar solo's and too much pomp and prog.
Hopefully the return of the old logo means we will get some old school Sonata back  :metal

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #656 on: January 09, 2014, 01:01:21 PM »
Reminds me of the Opeth thread...

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #657 on: January 09, 2014, 01:29:46 PM »
Reminds me of the Opeth thread...
It's not as bad as on some other forums :lol
I only regularly listen to the first 4 albums.
Last three have been a massive disappointment to say the least.
Since Janne left Tony has strangled the SA sound with way too many layers of vocals not many guitar solo's and too much pomp and prog.
Then why do you like Silence, WHG and Reckoning Night? :neverusethis:

Unia will always be my #1 Sonata album - of course there's a bit of nostalgia involved as it was my introduction to them, but I feel it's their most unique album and the songs are full of interesting layers. I do like the earlier albums as well, but the Stratovarius influence is really obvious and I rarely find the urge to listen to the faster songs nowadays.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #658 on: January 09, 2014, 01:36:33 PM »
Personally, I prefer SA's power metal sound, but they clearly aren't into that anymore. I think they should make whatever kind of music they want.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: January 09, 2014, 01:37:29 PM »
Unia will always be my #1 Sonata album

Me too.  It's just a special and perfect piece.  The band will never recreate it and they should never have tried.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #660 on: January 09, 2014, 01:53:02 PM »
To this very day Unia is hard for me to listen to and stomach.
After 4 fast power metal albums, it was almost a different band for me.
I was a fan from the first time I heard the FullMoon demo.
I remember pimping the crap out of them at the time, and through a good friend of mine,
and much to my shock, when I got the Ecliptica CD, I nearly fell over when I saw my name in the booklet in the 'thank you's'.
I dunno I will listen to those 3 again, just to see if I am missing anything  :yarr

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: January 15, 2014, 08:08:23 AM »
Trailer #1 and tracklist revealed
01. The Wolves Die Young
02. Running Lights
03. Take One Breath
04. Cloud Factory
05. Blood
06. What Did You Do In The War, Dad?
07. Half A Marathon man
08. X Marks The Spot
09. Love
10. Larger Than Life
Track #6 is the most cringeworthy Sonata song title ever IMO - yes, despite the existence of Shitload of Money :lol But hey, I won't judge the music itself until I've heard the album.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: January 15, 2014, 09:02:32 AM »
Personally, I prefer SA's power metal sound, but they clearly aren't into that anymore.

Yeah their first albums are what I prefer. Especially the debut and Reckoning Night. They kind of lost me after that.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #663 on: January 15, 2014, 10:40:25 AM »
I guess I'll be seeing these guys in October, but I'm mainly going for Delain.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #664 on: January 15, 2014, 11:47:44 AM »
'old Sonata meaning more power metal style elements' Tony Kakko
Now I am pretty happy and looking forward to this.