Author Topic: Official TV Thread v. It Finally Happened  (Read 151107 times)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Re: Official TV Thread v. It Finally Happened
« Reply #1715 on: January 28, 2015, 10:45:09 AM »
Pretty much.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1716 on: January 28, 2015, 11:09:36 AM »
I've never watched any episodes of Arrow until this season, so I can't speak for the first 2 seasons.  But this season has been loads of fun, as has The Flash.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1717 on: January 28, 2015, 11:23:49 AM »
Now that I'm caught up with Agents of Shield, I thought I'd give DC a shot with Arrow, having heard lots of good things.  Honestly, after 5 episodes I'm not really feeling it. Maybe it's because while the show is trying to remain grounded in reality (a la Chris Nolan) I'm finding the plot drivers unbelievable. Is this representative of the rest of the show?

No.  It is really well written.  Keep going.

I am only 2 episodes behind on Gotham now.  It's really starting to shape up nice.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1718 on: January 28, 2015, 11:25:21 AM »
I've never watched any episodes of Arrow until this season, so I can't speak for the first 2 seasons.  But this season has been loads of fun, as has The Flash.

I admittedly came in with low expectations, but The Flash has definitely been a fun show.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1719 on: January 28, 2015, 12:12:46 PM »
I meant to get caught up on 12 Monkeys yesterday, but never got around to it.

My daughter and I watch Face Off.  Good stuff.

I like face off! It's really cool to see how those types of things are created.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1720 on: January 28, 2015, 12:25:12 PM »
Stick with it Fiery

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1721 on: January 28, 2015, 01:03:56 PM »
My daughter and I watch Face Off.  Good stuff.

I like face off! It's really cool to see how those types of things are created.

Yeah, it is fascinating to watch them create those designs. I'm really impressed by the painting as well. Really cool stuff!!!!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1722 on: January 29, 2015, 09:21:12 PM »
Parenthood finale was so good. What an awesome show. It will be missed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1723 on: February 16, 2015, 05:42:25 PM »
I've fallen in love with Gotham. I started last night, and I'm about to watch episode 9, "Harvey Dent."

My thoughts:

-Love Jim Gordon. His face is a mixture of Russell Crowe, Collin Farell, and Tom Hiddleston. With Brad Pitt's voice.
-Love the chemistry between him and Harvey, his partner.
-Barbara needs to untwist her panties. If you're in love with a good man who's a cop in Gotham, how do you not see shit like this coming?
-I hate Fish, and any subplots involving her bore me to death. Also, Jada's a terrible actress.
-I love watching Penguin twist his way into power. I can't wait to see more progression.
-The kid that plays Bruce does a decent enough job. I like him.
-I fucking love Alfred.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1724 on: February 17, 2015, 07:22:04 AM »
Same here.  I agree with everything you've said.  the kid playing Penguin is a joy to watch.  What a role for him.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1725 on: February 19, 2015, 06:43:10 AM »
Finally got to catch the first 2 episodes of 12 Monkeys.  I'm hooked.  Hopefully I can catch up on the rest this weekend.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1726 on: February 19, 2015, 06:47:20 AM »
I've been powering through Friends on Netflix. The lady and I have watched the first six seasons over the last two weeks. I watched it all the time as a kid, but I didn't get a lot of the jokes or adult topics. I never realized how great of a show it is(was).

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1727 on: February 19, 2015, 07:46:14 AM »
Finally got to catch the first 2 episodes of 12 Monkeys.  I'm hooked.  Hopefully I can catch up on the rest this weekend.

I've yet to be disappointed by this series. It's been good....I like how they've handled it thus far. I'm just curious as to how many seasons they envision being able to get out of that story? To me it really only seems like a 2 or 3 season story? I don't know....but it's been great thus far.

Anyone else giving the second season of HELIX a shot? I'm enjoying this season WAY more than season 1. It seems like the writers actually have a storyline and thought out some things this season rather than last seasons randomness.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1728 on: February 19, 2015, 05:50:22 PM »
I've been powering through Friends on Netflix. The lady and I have watched the first six seasons over the last two weeks. I watched it all the time as a kid, but I didn't get a lot of the jokes or adult topics. I never realized how great of a show it is(was).

Hah- I've been doing the same thing. Although not as efficiently as you, from the sound of it. I got through the first season in less than 24 hours, but am only just finishing season 4 after a month and a half.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1729 on: February 19, 2015, 09:40:31 PM »
First episode of 'Vikings' was pretty good! The season preview set up as another cool season....this show continues to impress.....

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1730 on: February 20, 2015, 03:58:57 AM »
Yeah the Vikings premiere was really good. I loved the dinner table scene, that was probably my favorite from the episode, although the battle was of course cool as well. Athelstan is my favorite character, he is awesome.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1731 on: February 20, 2015, 04:52:55 AM »
Can't wait, watching tonight!  :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1732 on: February 20, 2015, 10:45:33 AM »
Parenthood finale was so good. What an awesome show. It will be missed.
The show was taking some turns for the worse, the inexplicable Chambers Academy and drawn out separation arc were becoming grating, but the finale was one of the best closers I can remember. I never liked Everybody Loves Raymond, but Ray Romano got me hooked on this show when he joined and I enjoyed how they brought Hank and Ruby into the family. They really laid the pressure on his character this season so they could get to a happy ending. I know some people disliked that arc this season, but I thought it was a pretty cleverly handled to cover for the short contracts, show combining families, and help make a convincing story Hank was on the right track.

--------------------

Two and a Half Men: Chuck Lorre is a bitter man is basically what I took from the finale. It was fun, I'll give them that, making fun of what they were.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1733 on: February 20, 2015, 01:44:54 PM »
I'm glad we didn't have to wait another week to see the battle on Vikings as I was eyeing the clock towards the end. The AV Club did bring up a good point that the reactions from Princess what's her face and her brother were a little ridiculous as they really had no good vantage point of what was happening during the fight.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1734 on: February 20, 2015, 02:32:57 PM »
I'm glad we didn't have to wait another week to see the battle on Vikings as I was eyeing the clock towards the end.

I was doing the same thing.....and that's what I like about the show. There are other shows out there that would have held that over and 'wasted' 5 or 10 minutes in the next episode on it. The writers/producers do a great job at moving the story along and each episode more or less 'ends' well....and does a good job of progressing the story.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1735 on: February 21, 2015, 04:19:05 AM »
Vikings is pretty unique in the way it's paced, and the way circumstances sometimes change rather drastically for characters off screen, and sometimes years pass between episodes. I like it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1736 on: February 21, 2015, 05:22:13 PM »
Good episode and it's nice having it back on air. I have to wonder how the brits could be so stupid to think it would be a good idea to split up their forces on opposite side without any chance to help eachother? What did they actually think the vikings would do?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1737 on: February 21, 2015, 05:47:37 PM »
I'm wondering if that is what historically happened considering the show takes its liberties.

Offline Counselor of Prog

« Reply #1738 on: February 21, 2015, 06:03:39 PM »
Been on an X Files kick lately.  Getting into Dish's El Rey Network.  Lots of kung fu flicks and Mexican Luchadore specials.  :metal
"The only closed systems in the universe are hardened hearts and darkened minds." Scott Becker, Valley of the Shadow

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1739 on: February 21, 2015, 11:12:39 PM »
I'm wondering if that is what historically happened considering the show takes its liberties.

I don't even think about such things at this stage. I just think of it as pure fiction.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the princess being able to see what happened. I too wondered if the guy could have seen what was happening from the opposite side of the river, but I guess he could have made out enough to realize his side was completely f'ed.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1740 on: February 22, 2015, 03:22:24 AM »
I'll give the benefit of the doubt to the princess being able to see what happened. I too wondered if the guy could have seen what was happening from the opposite side of the river, but I guess he could have made out enough to realize his side was completely f'ed.

Yeah, this is how I saw it as well.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1741 on: February 25, 2015, 08:56:38 PM »
Just finished rewatching Season 4 of The Wire. God, what a depressingly good piece of television. Easily my favorite season of the show.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1742 on: February 26, 2015, 12:39:26 AM »
 :tup Someday I will rewatch The Wire but it's such a heavy show to get into. Probably my favourite show ever though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1743 on: February 26, 2015, 03:41:50 AM »
Caught up on 12 Monkeys.  Holy shit, if you aren't watching this, you are missing out.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1744 on: February 26, 2015, 04:20:10 AM »
How is it compared to the movie? I didn't really enjoy it which is why I haven't bothered to check the show out.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1745 on: February 26, 2015, 07:25:31 AM »
How is it compared to the movie? I didn't really enjoy it which is why I haven't bothered to check the show out.
Hard to say, since I haven't seen the movie since it was released in theaters.

But this is really good.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1746 on: February 26, 2015, 08:48:56 AM »

I've seen both and thing the TV show...although it shares the same premise......really are two different things. The show certainly uses the idea of the movie but I think the show has done a good job at making Cole's character different than what Bruce Willis portrayed him as. I agree with King though....this series is pretty good. I really hope that it is allowed to run it's course and that SyFy doesn't drop it to make sure 'Defiance' or something like that gets funding.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1747 on: February 27, 2015, 03:51:46 AM »
SPOILERS FOR VIKINGS I GUESS

Another great episode. It is a good sign when a show can make me genuinly concerned for it's characters, and right now. Right now it feels like there's something building in every storyline, and I am actually concerned for all of them at the moment. I hope Athelstan won't die, he is by far the most interesting character on the show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1748 on: February 27, 2015, 11:40:19 PM »
SPOILERS FOR VIKINGS I GUESS

Another great episode. It is a good sign when a show can make me genuinly concerned for it's characters, and right now. Right now it feels like there's something building in every storyline, and I am actually concerned for all of them at the moment. I hope Athelstan won't die, he is by far the most interesting character on the show.

VIKINGS is one of the best shows on TV right now period. Anyone who is looking for a series to get in to would do themselves a favor and pick this one up.

Athelstan is a killer character indeed. He's the pivotal character on the show it seems, not Ragnal.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1749 on: February 28, 2015, 03:42:40 AM »
Am I right that the vikings are suppose to speak old norse and not english? Kind of weird the scenes between King Ecbert and Lagertha when she suddenly dosen't understand english and need Athelstan as interpreter. As someone how likes authenticity, I wouldn't mind them speaking their correct language from the beginning, would give the show a diffrent layer. As comparison, if Vikings would have been a swedish production and everyone spoke swedish I would have laughed my face off.  :lol

Anyway good episode overall and yea there's lots of tension building up. Will be an interesting season.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 03:52:09 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »