Author Topic: Red - Feed The Machine vs. DT - BMU, BMD  (Read 94680 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Red - Feed The Machine vs. DT - BMU, BMD
« Reply #420 on: December 21, 2011, 01:51:50 PM »
What about Flying colors? I think that the so-called mixture of U2, The Beatles and Yes might really work for a lot of fans. Also, Neal Morse is a part of it.  :hefdaddy

That's the only upcoming MP project I'm even slightly interested in.

Same here. I am curious to hear it. At the moment...Neal Morse is the only redeeming factor for me with that project, I'd like to continure to support him.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #421 on: December 21, 2011, 01:52:31 PM »
Adrenaline Mob is pretty bad, but Flying Colors: WANT.

It has nothing to do with Mike Portnoy for me, honestly. I still only care about the music.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #422 on: December 24, 2011, 12:06:28 PM »
I'm more distrurbed about the lyrical lifts from Six Degrees and Systematic Chaos.

Musical similarities happen all of the time but to take someone's (exact) words without acknowledging them seems at least dubious to me.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #423 on: December 24, 2011, 01:55:54 PM »
I'm more distrurbed about the lyrical lifts from Six Degrees and Systematic Chaos.

Musical similarities happen all of the time but to take someone's (exact) words without acknowledging them seems at least dubious to me.

We don't need this crap again.

Offline johncal

« Reply #424 on: December 24, 2011, 02:13:01 PM »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #425 on: December 24, 2011, 02:34:57 PM »

If that were true, I probably would have baited him. We really don't need that crap again. Jackie just got back to posting again recently.

Offline johncal

« Reply #426 on: December 24, 2011, 02:38:38 PM »

If that were true, I probably would have baited him. We really don't need that crap again. Jackie just got back to posting again recently.

I was actually agreeing with YOU. Sorry if you thought otherwise.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #427 on: December 24, 2011, 02:41:58 PM »

I was actually agreeing with YOU. Sorry if you thought otherwise.

Ah, I see.  :blush

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: December 26, 2011, 05:39:19 PM »
JP's #1 album of the year? Red's.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #429 on: December 26, 2011, 05:52:57 PM »
Thanks, Emmy, for the information.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #430 on: December 26, 2011, 06:58:17 PM »
Does that mean you hate A Dramatic Turn of Events?  :omg:

Oh wait, we already knew that.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: December 27, 2011, 05:12:41 AM »
No, silly. This means that I got a RoadRunner's email that somehow wasn't on the Spam folder, opened it, clicked on the link that they suggested, laughed at JR's top ten, was pleasantly surprised with JM's #1 choice, then read JP's list, got a boner when I read that Adele was on that list, #1 spot seemed an enlightening moment to me because I remembered this whole Feed The Machine vs. DT - BMU, BMD, then proceeded to post it on DTF. To my dismay this was common knowledge by the time I clicked on "post."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #432 on: December 27, 2011, 05:38:02 AM »

emin pls go

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #433 on: December 27, 2011, 06:31:14 AM »
When in doubt, always assume DTF already knows. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #434 on: December 27, 2011, 02:14:11 PM »

Anyone who rates Steel Panther is ok with me. Can't wait to see JP jooin Satchel on stage for a shredfest. And just wait for the cock-rock lyrics on DTXII...

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: December 27, 2011, 03:00:43 PM »

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #437 on: December 27, 2011, 04:30:09 PM »

Are you saying this never happened or that you don't consider that it did of any consequence?

Online Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #438 on: December 27, 2011, 04:52:31 PM »
It's a subject that was debated endlessly already.  I'm sure the thread is still around if you search for it.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #439 on: December 27, 2011, 05:08:24 PM »

Are you saying this never happened or that you don't consider that it did of any consequence?
*What are* these lyrical lifts?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #440 on: December 27, 2011, 05:32:41 PM »

Regarding ITPOE:  It is based on a (Korean, I think?) Manga called The Priest, which is pretty common knowledge.  He used some direct wording from some passages and paraphrased the story in others.  This is fairly common knowledge.

Regarding Six Degrees:  It was alleged (and when I say "alleged," I'm not implying that this is false; only that I have never seen it, so I cannot confirm or deny whether it was true) that, similarly, JP incorporated some passages from some medical or psychological case book(s) into the lyrics of SDOIT.

The long and short of it is, a few people were bent out of shape over it, a few people defended the band, and the majority responded along the lines of, "Okay, that's fine, but I really don't care." 

That's the short version, and I'm happy to have been able to clarify, but it is also off topic, so please, keep the thread focused.  Thanks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline johncal

« Reply #441 on: December 27, 2011, 06:31:50 PM »
We really have nothing better to do. My response proves it.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #442 on: December 28, 2011, 10:02:42 AM »
Finally listened to the track.  While I see some structural similarities, I think if JP hadn't listed it as his favorite record, it wouldn't be an issue to be mentioned.  It's not nearly as close as Stockholm Syndrome/Never Enough or Panic Attack/Glorious or The Great Debate/Home/46 & 2.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #443 on: December 28, 2011, 10:33:05 AM »
Finally listened to the track.  While I see some structural similarities, I think if JP hadn't listed it as his favorite record, it wouldn't be an issue to be mentioned.  It's not nearly as close as Stockholm Syndrome/Never Enough or Panic Attack/Glorious or The Great Debate/Home/46 & 2.
Agreed!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #444 on: December 28, 2011, 10:53:50 AM »
reneranucci, stop re-posting the same thing over and over.  You have already received a warning for ignoring my prior general warning in the thread to keep this on topic.  Search and find the appropriate thread to post it in, or if there isn't one, you may start one.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #445 on: December 28, 2011, 11:53:14 AM »
If it was a blatant rip off, I doubt JP would want to voice any personal connection to himself and Red's album, therefore he would have been smarter than to list it as his #1 in 2011. JP is a smart guy, he wouldn't make that mistake.

It's not a ripoff. MP is just jealous that they're doing perfectly fine (better, in fact) without him, and that he wasn't a part of that kick ass record, which is why he can't help but bash it every chance he gets to make him feel better about the fact that he wasn't a part of it.. If he'd just shut up for a change, I might actually feel bad for him, but he just keeps running his damn mouth. I used to look up to him. This is so disappointing.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline johncal

« Reply #446 on: December 28, 2011, 04:39:20 PM »
If it was a blatant rip off, I doubt JP would want to voice any personal connection to himself and Red's album, therefore he would have been smarter than to list it as his #1 in 2011. JP is a smart guy, he wouldn't make that mistake.

It's not a ripoff. MP is just jealous that they're doing perfectly fine (better, in fact) without him, and that he wasn't a part of that kick ass record, which is why he can't help but bash it every chance he gets to make him feel better about the fact that he wasn't a part of it.. If he'd just shut up for a change, I might actually feel bad for him, but he just keeps running his damn mouth. I used to look up to him. This is so disappointing.

I think you just plagierized my response from earlier :biggrin:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: December 30, 2011, 01:18:11 PM »
Just listened to both songs back - to - back.

The intro has a similar vibe and that's it as far as I can tell....

:facepalm: LOLNOY

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #448 on: January 01, 2012, 07:05:40 PM »
Just listened to the song... it's pretty good. Thanks for introducing me to it, guys!
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #449 on: January 01, 2012, 07:53:04 PM »

Regarding ITPOE:  It is based on a (Korean, I think?) Manga called The Priest, which is pretty common knowledge.  He used some direct wording from some passages and paraphrased the story in others.  This is fairly common knowledge.

Regarding Six Degrees:  It was alleged (and when I say "alleged," I'm not implying that this is false; only that I have never seen it, so I cannot confirm or deny whether it was true) that, similarly, JP incorporated some passages from some medical or psychological case book(s) into the lyrics of SDOIT.

The long and short of it is, a few people were bent out of shape over it, a few people defended the band, and the majority responded along the lines of, "Okay, that's fine, but I really don't care." 

That's the short version, and I'm happy to have been able to clarify, but it is also off topic, so please, keep the thread focused.  Thanks.

RE SDOIT:   I saw a post someone made that was supposedly a scan of the medical journal in question.   If the source was legitimate, there were several lines that were lifted directly from the manual.     As to the validity of the source of the photo/scan....I have no idea, and I take nothing I see on the internet for "fact"...so take it for what it's worth.   I saw the document that caused to controversy....but it wasn't notarized.   :-\
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #450 on: January 03, 2012, 09:06:27 PM »

RE SDOIT:   I saw a post someone made that was supposedly a scan of the medical journal in question.   If the source was legitimate, there were several lines that were lifted directly from the manual.     As to the validity of the source of the photo/scan....I have no idea, and I take nothing I see on the internet for "fact"...so take it for what it's worth.   I saw the document that caused to controversy....but it wasn't notarized.   :-\

Continued discussion of this should be done here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=30292.new#new

Offline LTE3

« Reply #451 on: January 05, 2012, 05:38:10 PM »
Not to worried about it as for me BMUBMD is the worst song on the album, but I like the Red version better.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline johncal

« Reply #452 on: January 05, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
Not to worried about it as for me BMUBMD is the worst song on the album, but I like the Red version better.

Sorry I just don't see either song as a "version" of the other.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #453 on: January 05, 2012, 08:01:09 PM »

Sorry I just don't see either song as a "version" of the other.
Your view is correct.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: January 06, 2012, 03:19:50 AM »
I wouldn't call BMUBMD as the worst song on the album as that implies the album is fall of bad songs, of which that is the worst.

Least favourite sounds better.

Not for me anyway, I like every song on the CD.

If I had to put them in order of preference, OTBOA would be at the bottom simply as i've heard it so often.