Author Topic: The Dear Hunter v Act III: Life and Death Live Stream (5/7 and 5/14/24)  (Read 352340 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The Dear Hunter - appreciation thread
« Reply #945 on: June 15, 2011, 06:29:16 AM »
Listened as far as the end of Green so far, lots of amazing stuff but just so much to take in. Black and Red are my favourites so far, and I love the folkyness of Green as well. But most if all I love the fact that each EP really sounds like its colour. Yellow is probably the least exciting so far, but I still really dig as it just sounds so sunny. :D

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #946 on: June 15, 2011, 07:51:24 AM »
Listened as far as the end of Green so far, lots of amazing stuff but just so much to take in. Black and Red are my favourites so far, and I love the folkyness of Green as well. But most if all I love the fact that each EP really sounds like its colour. Yellow is probably the least exciting so far, but I still really dig as it just sounds so sunny. :D

:tup My thoughts exactly.

Also, although you guys think I'm crazy for not liking Black the most, I would like to say that This Body is probably the most sonically exciting song on the entire album.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #947 on: June 15, 2011, 07:59:33 AM »
You've gotten SOME points back you crazy person.

I agree with Ariich that every EP really does evoke a certain color or mood while still sounding like the Dear Hunter beyond Casey's voice.  They did a very good job with this.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #948 on: June 15, 2011, 08:04:06 AM »
I'm not sure if Stuck On a Wire Out On a Fence really sounds like what I think of as orange, but it is also a great song.  This one's going on a car CD for sure.

Edit: Also I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but is it just me or do some of these songs sound a lot more proggy than traditional TDH fare?  I mean sure I get that they're supposed to be progressive, but I hear some keyboard flares that sound like old school prog.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #949 on: June 15, 2011, 08:18:14 AM »
Oh, that Casey.  He so silly - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbLj2pQ18LE

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #950 on: June 15, 2011, 10:28:04 AM »
Anybody here hitting the Cleveland show?  Looks like I'll be making a trip out there...

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #951 on: June 15, 2011, 10:36:23 AM »
Why would you do that? Cleveland is really not worth visiting, I was just there and it's really not that exciting.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #952 on: June 15, 2011, 10:42:28 AM »
Apparently ALL of LATR is going there. :lol
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #953 on: June 15, 2011, 10:45:32 AM »
Okay, but why?!?!?
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #954 on: June 15, 2011, 10:47:42 AM »
I actually got my physical copy of Act III today, been waiting for like 3 weeks because of Import.
But it looks fairly great, it looked a bit rough at first, but then I noticed that it was intentional, seeing how the artwork looked inside and stuff, fairly cool with the post-cards and stuff.
Can't wait to spin this for my dad, I've been talking a lot about Dear Hunter and how much I love them, and he is a prog-fan as well, so I'm sure he'll love it.  :tup

Kosmo

« Reply #955 on: June 15, 2011, 10:54:13 AM »
I got one of my knucklehead friends interested in TDH today and now after checking them out she texted me ''They're pretty good even though they're not on the radio''.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #956 on: June 15, 2011, 11:38:26 AM »
Here's my initial thought, which I hope changes with subsequent listens in a little more detail. There is one albums worth of really fantastic material here. While I appreciate what Casey was going for, ultimately we ended up with a good double album instead of what could have been a mind blowingly fantastic single album. Hopefully the tracks that didn't click the first time around will sound better next time and my opinion will grow.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #957 on: June 15, 2011, 11:42:21 AM »
I disagree with you. Personally I think there's at least 2 full albums worth of fantastic material (there's probably a little less than 3 albums worth of material).

Of course, I haven't stopped listening to this since I got it, so I've listened to everything quite a few times.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #958 on: June 15, 2011, 12:30:34 PM »
Okay, but why?!?!?

Because lots of LATR people live in the area and we're having an LATR after-party w/ Casey.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #959 on: June 15, 2011, 12:42:32 PM »
Good thing I just joined LATR because I won't feel bad about missing the Cleveland show so I don't really know anyone.  Although maybe with a less fervent turnout in Pittsburgh it will be easier to smooze.  I'm totally dropping your name Zep  :lol  You should drop mine as well so he knows who to hang out with after Pittsburgh.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #960 on: June 15, 2011, 12:44:21 PM »
I hope I get to meet Casey in Vienna. That would be so awesome.
I AM A GUY

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #961 on: June 15, 2011, 12:53:11 PM »
Listening through TCS for the second time now, and I was amazed by how many songs had gotten stuck after just 1 spin, in a subtle way.
It's not like after 1 listen that I "knew" any of the songs, but now during my second listen, when a lot of the songs started, I would immediately think "hey, this is THAT song", so that was really cool.  :)
I really think that all songs are good or better, this as a whole just needs way more listens before I could determine what's what, and what EP's I would prefer.

However, I do love the electronic ones (Black n Indigo is it?), but I gotta say that Orange is really catchy, "Stuck On a Wire, Out On a Fence" especially.  :hat

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #962 on: June 15, 2011, 12:54:41 PM »
Just starting on Violet. Holy shit this song is so great! :D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #963 on: June 15, 2011, 01:02:36 PM »
Good thing I just joined LATR because I won't feel bad about missing the Cleveland show so I don't really know anyone.  Although maybe with a less fervent turnout in Pittsburgh it will be easier to smooze.  I'm totally dropping your name Zep  :lol  You should drop mine as well so he knows who to hang out with after Pittsburgh.

Will do.

I hope I get to meet Casey in Vienna. That would be so awesome.

Just stick around for a little bit after the show.  I'm sure he'll be available to chat.  Just be a little patient... people tend to swarm him immediately after the show.  If Casey is being mobbed just to hang out w/ Nick or Connor... those guys are both super friendly too.  TDH in general is pretty much the most fan-friendly band ever.  As is evidenced by this video, which is one of the coolest things I've ever experienced at a concert.  This is how they ended up the show.

Watch this one first (sound quality is pretty bad, but just bear with it and watch through to the end - you'll get the picture eventually)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGouYR0qhKI (if the quality is really unbearable, the fun starts at about 3:20 into the video)

And this is how at all ended

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP8lUqLG0EM

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #964 on: June 15, 2011, 01:09:10 PM »
Holy fucking god that was awesome.
I AM A GUY

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: June 15, 2011, 01:52:31 PM »
I will be front and center for any show I go to.  I will show up rediculously early Nick-style, and people will bend to my will should that be enough.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #966 on: June 15, 2011, 02:45:07 PM »
Commencing first listen of the Color Spectrum now. Will post what I think later.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #967 on: June 15, 2011, 05:15:09 PM »
Goddamn there is so much great stuff across these EPs! Second listen is even better than the first.

Really hard to tell what my favourite is so far. Violet really stood out on first listen, as did Black and Red. On second listen, everything else kinda caught up. I'll have to keep listening.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #968 on: June 15, 2011, 05:16:07 PM »
Rich, Indigo is the best! Give it another listen!
I AM A GUY

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #969 on: June 15, 2011, 05:35:45 PM »
They're all the best them.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: June 15, 2011, 05:43:19 PM »
I just finished the Color Spectrum. It is good! It's not perfect, and I'd say the acts still pwn this, but as a big collection of EPs I like it. There's just little on it which gets me more excited than the stuff I hear on the acts.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #971 on: June 15, 2011, 07:17:03 PM »
...wow. That was really really good, every single song is incredibly catchy and the musicianship is great. A lot to take in, but definitely worth it!

My ranking thus far:

Green
Indigo
White
Violet
Blue
Black
Yellow
Red
Orange

...which really isn't fair because they're all really good. If Casey and his crew are ever in Virginia, I'm gonna have to see them live.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #972 on: June 15, 2011, 07:20:11 PM »
Heretic, they're playing in Vienna on August 14th. Several DTF members will be there including myself.
https://thedearhunter.frontgatetickets.com/

Sort of edit: tickets are only 13 bucks too.
I AM A GUY

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #973 on: June 15, 2011, 07:25:24 PM »
Jeez, that's really cheap, I'll definitely look into that. A bit of a drive from where I am but still.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: June 15, 2011, 08:15:19 PM »
I have a question for all of you. Let's say that, hypothetically, Casey released all 9 EPs without assigning them a color. Would it be so easy then to say "oh yeah man, these songs totally make me think of the color green!" Without knowing what color corresponded to each EP, would it still be easy to identify them?
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #975 on: June 15, 2011, 08:25:13 PM »
LATR IS DOWN :dangerwillrobinson:
I AM A GUY

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #976 on: June 15, 2011, 08:26:31 PM »
Well I think artwork has some bearing on what we think of when we hear an album regardless no matter what.  I mean, Addicted to me sounds like a very "white" album, Synchestra sounds "brown," Octavarium sounds "blue," and Dark Side of the Moon sounds "black" to me, and a lot of that has to do with the colors of the album covers fitting with the music and the brain making a link between them.  I would have no idea what I would see if I had no artwork or knowledge of the colors to associate the songs with.  I'm pretty sure the green EP would become the "folky biege EP" though.   :lol

Come to think of it, Black and Red are the best ones that represent their color, with Violet coming third.  I don't know how the Blue EP really sounds "blue," for example, or if the White EP really sounds "white" or not.  But with the artwork/knowledge of the colors, I can definitely see how they all sound like their color (except the two I just mentioned).  

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #977 on: June 15, 2011, 09:07:12 PM »
Jeez, that's really cheap, I'll definitely look into that. A bit of a drive from where I am but still.

Can't be much further than my drive.  Not an excuse.

$14.95 with the service charge (at least that's the Pittsburgh show)

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #978 on: June 15, 2011, 11:10:34 PM »
I have a question for all of you. Let's say that, hypothetically, Casey released all 9 EPs without assigning them a color. Would it be so easy then to say "oh yeah man, these songs totally make me think of the color green!" Without knowing what color corresponded to each EP, would it still be easy to identify them?

I think that depends on the color. Black, Yellow, Green and Violet would all be pretty easy for me to guess. The others might give me more trouble.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: June 15, 2011, 11:43:33 PM »

I wouldn't be able to differentiate them by color, but I can pick out certain things that make them distinct. The first four songs (Black) have this really dark electronic industrial kinda sound to them. Red and Orange are kinda the same for me, both have that gritty rock/punky sound which I don't like at all. Yellow is like 50's sounding, and Green is folky. Blue is kinda the same thing but really laid back, and Indigo is electronic out the wazoo. Finally Violet is symphonic and White is like the piano ballad kinda stuff.

My only disappointment is with Red and Orange. I was hoping them to have more of that super-energetic sound from like the Procession of In Clauda Venenum. I am a bit let down there's nothing like that in the entire EP.