Author Topic: The Dear Hunter v Act III: Life and Death Live Stream (5/7 and 5/14/24)  (Read 352500 times)

Offline Xanthul

Re: The Dear Hunter - appreciation thread
« Reply #2660 on: March 26, 2013, 04:08:14 PM »
Quote from: billboard
In 2011, Crescenzo and company followed with another ambitious project,"The Color Spectrum," which interpreted each of the spectrum's seven colors through a four-song EP for each.

Is it really so hard to check some facts before publishing something?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2661 on: March 26, 2013, 07:27:57 PM »
Man, this album is beautiful. The lyrics are great, the musicianship is delicate and graceful, the vocals are heavenly.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2662 on: March 27, 2013, 02:09:41 AM »
Yeah I really like it. It's by far the most personal thing Casey has written, and beautiful for it!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #2663 on: March 27, 2013, 03:08:55 AM »
Checking this band out on Spotify and Never Forgive Never Forget has a bit of skipping in the choruses? Is that just the Spotify version?

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2664 on: March 27, 2013, 05:49:04 AM »
Migrant is a pretty sweet guy.  The lyrics in particular really stood out to me. 

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #2665 on: March 27, 2013, 01:11:22 PM »
Quote from: billboard
In 2011, Crescenzo and company followed with another ambitious project,"The Color Spectrum," which interpreted each of the spectrum's seven colors through a four-song EP for each.

Is it really so hard to check some facts before publishing something?

Pssh... who needs facts.

"Migrant" (Equal Vision Records) is also important to Crescenzo because it's more of a family affair than ever. The 12-song album features an additional two members of the Crescenzo family, alongside Casey's brother, who's the drummer. His sister, Azia, sings on the chorus of "Girl" and his mother adds backing vocals on "Shame."

Totally overlooked the fact that Casey's cousin Max is also a member of the band.

Offline adace

« Reply #2666 on: March 28, 2013, 01:03:40 AM »
Migrant is great. Such a gorgeous album.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2667 on: March 28, 2013, 09:46:28 AM »
AGH!  Seeing them in 7 hours.  So excite!

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2668 on: March 28, 2013, 03:25:02 PM »
Getting ready to head to the subway for the show!
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2669 on: March 28, 2013, 05:14:31 PM »
I might actually like this new album better than anything else these guys have made. Not sure yet, though. Beautiful album.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2670 on: March 29, 2013, 06:22:31 AM »
Yeah, so, I think that's the closest thing I've ever seen to a perfect show.  Great energy, great crowd, sold out, amazing setlist with multiple things I didn't see coming.  And...I believe I'm the first person on the board to own Migrant?

On a down note, someone stole Connor's new strat right off the stage after the show...Casey (and it would seem the rest of the band) are pretty torn up about it.
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2671 on: March 29, 2013, 12:37:48 PM »
On a down note, someone stole Connor's new strat right off the stage after the show...Casey (and it would seem the rest of the band) are pretty torn up about it.

This is so upsetting.  The guitar was a 50's road worn strat that probably cost around $1,000 and that Connor JUST bought about a week ago.  He was so excited about that guitar too... he was posting to Facebook about it and soon as he bought it.

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2672 on: March 29, 2013, 01:02:32 PM »
maybe he/the band should do what Bend Sinister did recently.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2673 on: March 29, 2013, 01:11:04 PM »
Seems like it could work, but I get the feeling that they don't generally like doing stuff like that requires them to ask for money (especially after the whole Lifetime membership fiasco).

Would be cool if a fan were to set it up and then donate the money directly though.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2674 on: March 29, 2013, 02:31:31 PM »
(especially after the whole Lifetime membership fiasco).

what was this all about?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2675 on: March 29, 2013, 02:44:54 PM »
There was a fiasco involved in that?

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2676 on: March 29, 2013, 03:37:08 PM »
IS... not was.

There have been a series of issues administering it.  Right after it started a few band members left, leaving the burden pretty much entirely Casey - some stuff got lost in the mail (mostly handwritten letters), some people never got their vinyls, posters to this day still haven't been made up, and some people have had trouble getting themselves on the guest list (while others have been told they were put on the list only to show up and find that they weren't).  Overall, I would still say that the majority of lifetime members are more or less satisfied, but there's a minority who have been consistently complaining very loudly.  Casey had made a lot of efforts to remedy these issues, but some people still remain unsatisfied.  It's created a lot of controversy within the TDH lifetime member community.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #2677 on: March 29, 2013, 04:20:32 PM »
Is it still open? Can I become a lifetime whatever or was it a one time thing?

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2678 on: March 29, 2013, 04:45:54 PM »
Is it still open? Can I become a lifetime whatever or was it a one time thing?

Nah... it's long been closed.  It was limited to 250 people, and it was only available for a period of like 4-5 days in early 2010 before it sold out.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2679 on: March 30, 2013, 07:54:35 AM »
If someone organizes something, I'll certainly kick in...I just sold off a pedal, and this would make a good use of the proceeds.  Hell, I'd organize it myself, but it's not like I have any standing in the fan community for anyone to trust me.

If there's a partial serial # available, I can call around and tip off stores (there was a possible sighting locally...a guy got off the train at Jamaica with a black guitar and no case).

I also posted a thread in the "Stolen Gear" section on TalkBass.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2680 on: March 30, 2013, 09:06:11 AM »
Where did you hear about that local sighting?  I hadn't heard that yet...

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2681 on: March 30, 2013, 09:28:53 AM »
Saw it in their twitter mentions.

Street price on the guitar is $900...

EDIT:  Got the s/n from the band, tipped off all the tri-state Sam Ash/GC stores, and the five independent places on LI that i could figure out.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 05:15:18 PM by millahh »

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2682 on: March 31, 2013, 10:43:47 AM »
Oh, the s/n ends in 880.

They (not sure if Casey or Connor, it was via twitter DM) gave me the full s/n, but I'm not sure it would be good to broadcast that, as someone could use it to try to claim ownership.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2683 on: March 31, 2013, 11:18:04 AM »
EDIT:  Got the s/n from the band, tipped off all the tri-state Sam Ash/GC stores, and the five independent places on LI that i could figure out.

That's awesome.  It would be great if it actually turns up and you can track it down.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2684 on: March 31, 2013, 11:24:34 AM »
I did it mostly by email, and said the best bet is to try to contact the band directly via Twitter (with LatR as a backup, since they post there), but I also gave my # in case that fails.  So on the extreme off-chance I get a call, I may ask you for a more direct contact.

EDIT:  Spammed all of the independent Manhattan shops as well.  I suppose pawn shops would be the next target?  Unfortunately, if he were to try to sell it on CL, that'd be impossible to pre-empt.  And of course, he may just keep it.

2nd EDIT:  Sent info the the LI pawns shops I could figure out.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 01:25:45 PM by millahh »

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2685 on: March 31, 2013, 08:00:36 PM »
Yeah, if you get any info I can get you in contact with the band.  I talk to Nick S. fairly regularly on Facebook and I've got Casey's cell phone #

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2686 on: April 01, 2013, 06:40:23 AM »
Have TDH abandoned the UK/Europe? I can't find anything about UK releases of the live DVD or the new album, amazon only has import versions.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2687 on: April 01, 2013, 09:21:47 AM »
Yeah, if you get any info I can get you in contact with the band.  I talk to Nick S. fairly regularly on Facebook and I've got Casey's cell phone #

Ok, great.  I didn't want to creep them out by being that guy who asks for specific contact info despite them having no idea who I am!

I had contact with one of the local pawn shop chains; turns out that if a report was filed with NYPD, it goes into a nationwide database checked by all legit pawn shops.  I'd think they would have filed one, but I DM'd that info, just in case they hadn't.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2688 on: April 01, 2013, 09:40:19 AM »
I don't know anything about the lifetime membership stuff from TDH, but I do recall feeling pretty turned-off by how expensive everything seemed. When TCS came out, I definitely felt like I couldn't really afford to be a TDH fan-- initially, Casey let us choose between an expensive vinyl set and a $30 MP3 download. Now that the CD/DVD pack is out, it's a bit better, but still.

I'm not sure about what went on with the Lifetime Memberships, but they look pretty damn sweet, though I would not have been able to afford it.

I noticed the combo of high-price, low-demand items Casey comes out with seems to foster a strange attitude among TDH fans. I've seen more than a few fans pissed that TCS or Branches got pirated, when obviously you're supposed to spend big bucks to have access to those morsels. But I gotta wonder if Casey really expects everyone to buy everything, or he just charges those with money a lot expecting that it'll trickle down to people who won't/can't pay. 

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:57:53 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2689 on: April 01, 2013, 10:06:21 AM »
Not sure I really understand that complaint.  Pretty much everything they've released has had a standard priced version available.  And I don't really think that many people were very upset about TCS or Branches being pirated.  The initial lack of a CD version of TCS had nothing to do with exclusivity or high pricing - they just underestimated the demand for a CD, and didn't think the sales would justify the cost involved in making CDs.  As soon as people started saying "Hey, we want a CD version!", they made one.  It wouldn't even make any sense for somebody to think they could only get TCS by shelling out lots of money for the vinyl version - the vinyl version was just meant as a limited, special edition.  The real "standard" version was the mp3 version, which has exactly the same content as the vinyl version.  And nobody paid anything at all for Branches... that was never sold at a high price.  That was just something Casey recorded and gave out to lifetime members for free.  And when he gave it to us, he was basically like "this is for you guys... you can do whatever you want with it" (essentially implying that he didn't care if we shared it with other people.

The band definitely doesn't expect everybody to buy everything.  The 'expensive' versions are pretty much always very limited anyway, so it wouldn't make any sense to make these version the best or easiest way of getting access to the material.  They're just super deluxe versions I guess to provide something cool for the few fans who want them and providing a little bit of extra money flowing in.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2690 on: April 01, 2013, 10:10:57 AM »
Not sure I really understand that complaint. 
Well, you probably have a better job than me.

EDIT:
BTW, "deluxe editions" aren't just things TDH do that bugs me. All bands are guilty these days of having "kitchen sink" versions of albums for people willing to pay. I guess it's just 'cause TDH fanbase is so small and dedicated, so even though there are "standard priced" options, I feel like I'm the only one with them, while all the other fans are talking about their awesome box sets and "complete" editions.

Me being self-conscious? Probably. But, since I am someone who 1.) wants physical media 2.) has a low music budget (Migrant standard is more than half of what I usually allow myself to spend per month on music, should I chose to purchase it) and 3.) isn't cool with pirating, consider how an artist releasing multiple big-dollar sets per year makes me feel, as a fan? What happens is, I tend to miss a lot of what goes on, I start feeling like a lesser fan, and ultimately I stop relating with other fans who are either more wealthy or less ethically considerate than myself.

That's pretty much what happened to me with TDH.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:29:17 AM by Perpetual Change »

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2691 on: April 01, 2013, 11:07:33 AM »
I actually haven't had a job in over a year, so my spending is super limited these days. I get pretty much all of my new music through Spotify, which costs me $10/month, and that's almost all I spend on music.  I used to buy deluxe/special editions for all my favorite bands when I was working, but these days I pretty much only do it with TDH.  I don't even get the super crazy deluxe DT stuff anymore.  But that doesn't make me feel like any less of a fan.

I think to some extent I can kind of see your point about the deluxe editions, because it creates that feeling of "something really cool is available that I can't have!"... but I think it's pretty unrealistic to expect any band to just stop making super/crazy/deluxe versions just because only a small portion of their fanbase will be able to spend the money on them.  I think that's actually kind of the point... it's more about giving something extra to fans who can/will spend a few extra bucks on them, rather than any attempt to exclude fans who can't/won't pay for them.  Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson is another great example.  That dude seems to have crazy expensive ultra mega super duper versions of everything he does.  I did buy the deluxe version of The Incident years ago... but I've never bought any of the other deluxe versions of anything, but that doesn't mean I feel like I'm not a good enough fan, and I have no problem with him putting these things out for the people who do want to buy them.

And as far as the TDH stuff... you're definitely not the only one with the "standard" editions.  Far from it.  Just looking at their Facebook page, they have about 60,000 fans, and I'm sure there are many other fans who haven't actually bothered to "like" them on FB, but for argument's sake, let's just say that represents the entire fan base.  The TCS vinyl had 1,000 copies available, which would mean less than 2% of fans actually have them.  98% of the fan base only has the "standard" version.  Branches was only available to Lifetime members, and there are only 250 of us.  So that's less than 0.5%.  At least 99.5% of their fans are not lifetime members and don't have access to this.

One other thing to keep in mind is that this is how these people make a living.  And it's increasingly difficult to actually make a sustainable living as a musician these days.  Bands need to do whatever they can to just simply survive so they can keep making music.  I think that's a big part of why these deluxe packages are becoming more popular.  Just to use TDH as an example again - I don't know exactly how much Casey makes from the band, but I know it isn't a lot.  At the start of the band's career Casey was literally homeless... for many years they couldn't afford rooms while on tour, so they would just ask fans if anybody had an extra bed or couch or floorspace, and when that failed they would just sleep in their vans (and I think to some extent they still do that).  Right around the time TCS came out, I was chatting with Casey and he mentioned that he had about $70 in his bank account.  And whatever little money he does make, most of it gets channeled right back into the band.  TCS is a perfect example - the record label didn't have any faith in it and refused to advance any money for it, so Casey funded the entire project himself, using the Lifetime member money and his own funds (Triple Crown eventually agreed to distribute it, but only after it was completely finished).  I don't know if the band income provides him with enough to even live on - whenever he isn't doing TDH stuff he's working for other bands doing production work.  And all of the other band members have at least one other band they work with and I know a couple still also have day jobs when they aren't on tour.  So as far as I'm concerned, anything they can do to make it easier for them to focus on TDH exclusively is just fine with me.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2692 on: April 01, 2013, 11:36:01 AM »
Oh, I hear ya. For the record, I don't think Casey ever abused special editions, although I will say TCS came pretty close (even the MP3 download was priced $1 per song, which is way more than most MP3 albums are priced). As far as Spotify goes, I do still use it, and while I'm convinced it's legal, I have varying feelings about how ethical it is.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2693 on: April 01, 2013, 11:42:12 AM »
How could Spotify possibly be unethical?  Every band has the right to choose whether or not their music is available for streaming on Spotify.  If a band doesn't like the way Spotify works, they can just take their music off of it.

Offline drew512

« Reply #2694 on: April 01, 2013, 02:48:57 PM »
Casey is doing another StageIt show tomorrow to celebrate the release of the new album: https://twitter.com/therealTDH/status/318808376823934976

I definitely recommend attending if you can. The album announcement show he did a couple months ago was a lot of fun (you can check it out now on youtube). Cool way to interact with the fans.