Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 324787 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #1575 on: February 28, 2014, 08:53:16 PM »
I gotta say, Symphony X being really heavy makes great for their rare live show... but it also makes their albums really boring.

I remember buying Paradise Lost, and being like, "Eh, this is OK'", and then seeing the show thinking "OMG BEST BAND WAAAAY BETTER THAN WHAT DT ARE DOING RIGHT NOW", only to find the studio album still really boring and samey.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1576 on: February 28, 2014, 09:10:51 PM »
Heavy music comes off incredible in a live setting, I've noticed.

For pretty much any band.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1577 on: February 28, 2014, 09:20:42 PM »
Heavy music comes off incredible in a live setting, I've noticed.

For pretty much any band.

You can't capture that energy, it has to be felt in order for you to experience the true energy of the song.

Hence why sometimes I wonder why I haven't found a live vid of A Fools Paradise. That song is awesome.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1578 on: March 01, 2014, 05:48:11 AM »
I've always thought V and The Odyssey were pretty damn heavy, at least in parts. Mostly because Russell was a nice counterpart to the heavy riffing etc. with his non-harsh singing. Which wasn't even cheesy. Well.. most of my friends would call it cheesy but I think SyX's style with Russell's clean vocals are as 'cool' as you are going to get within the genre.

By the way, just skipped through the AM album. I'm so worried that Russell is blowing his beautiful voice with all this harsh shit. It doesn't sound healthy to my ears. Even Akerfeldt's growls sound more healthy.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1579 on: March 01, 2014, 07:16:29 AM »
By the way, just skipped through the AM album. I'm so worried that Russell is blowing his beautiful voice with all this harsh shit. It doesn't sound healthy to my ears. Even Akerfeldt's growls sound more healthy.

you and me both.  I remember thinking that as I was listening to Paradise Lost the very first time.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1580 on: March 01, 2014, 07:35:38 AM »

you and me both.  I remember thinking that as I was listening to Paradise Lost the very first time.

Guess we'll find out with the upcoming Allen/Lande.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1581 on: March 01, 2014, 08:08:19 AM »

Speaking of the Allen/Lande project, about two years ago I was invited to substitute for a friend that played percussion in the Swedish production of Spamalot. He had to stand out a couple of shows so he called me if I could substitute for him which of course I happily did. I think I played about 4-5 shows and had a blast. The drummer in the band was named Jaime and we talked a bit but never over the fact that he actually was the drummer for the Allen/Lande project. I found that out several month later....  :facepalm:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1582 on: March 02, 2014, 01:21:10 PM »
Hey, check out SX's facebook. Romeo has done 3 pretty awesome orchestral pieces for Hans Zimmer competition! I definitely recommend to check them out!! And remember to vote them! :)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #1583 on: March 02, 2014, 02:06:19 PM »
I gotta say, Symphony X being really heavy makes great for their rare live show... but it also makes their albums really boring.

I remember buying Paradise Lost, and being like, "Eh, this is OK'", and then seeing the show thinking "OMG BEST BAND WAAAAY BETTER THAN WHAT DT ARE DOING RIGHT NOW", only to find the studio album still really boring and samey.

man, them are some extreme polar opposite reactions. I mean, I could see a slight change in amount of enjoyment, but...

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #1584 on: March 04, 2014, 02:40:27 PM »

Um..... beg pardon?  New A/L album in the works?  Damn, i must be really out of the loop.  I had no idea.  I love them together.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1585 on: March 04, 2014, 03:01:55 PM »

Speaking of the Allen/Lande project, about two years ago I was invited to substitute for a friend that played percussion in the Swedish production of Spamalot. He had to stand out a couple of shows so he called me if I could substitute for him which of course I happily did. I think I played about 4-5 shows and had a blast. The drummer in the band was named Jaime and we talked a bit but never over the fact that he actually was the drummer for the Allen/Lande project. I found that out several month later....  :facepalm:

Wow Jaime Salazar, he's awesome.

Um..... beg pardon?  New A/L album in the works?  Damn, i must be really out of the loop.  I had no idea.  I love them together.

Yeah, but don't get your hopes up, Karlsson isn't the man behind it this time.  Timo Tolkki is in charge.  :facepalm:
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1586 on: March 16, 2014, 08:36:34 PM »
I read on their Facebook they're in the process of making a new album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1587 on: March 16, 2014, 09:14:29 PM »
They're at least 30-40% as bad as Tool is with horseshit updates. Don't hold your breath.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #1588 on: March 16, 2014, 11:32:37 PM »
I'm not sure if it holds any water, but I've heard reports about a North American tour in 2015. One can hope that is in support of a new album.

I for one just hope that it is true. Wish it was in 2014 though.
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #1589 on: March 17, 2014, 12:55:02 AM »
When an album title, artwork and tracklist gets posted by the band, then I will get excited.  Until then, it's just talk.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1590 on: March 17, 2014, 04:34:09 AM »
When an album title, artwork and tracklist gets posted by the band, then I will get excited.  Until then, it's just talk.

Pretty much this.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1591 on: March 17, 2014, 04:03:31 PM »

agreed; plus a release date

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1592 on: March 19, 2014, 10:19:58 AM »
Considering I didn't like Iconoclast at all, I'm afraid I won't be too excited about a new SX album :-\

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1593 on: March 23, 2014, 05:15:37 AM »
 Here´s me and Russell Allen on a workshop in Rio last weekend. The guy on the right is a hell of a singer as well, and his bands Shaaman and Noturnall are worth a listen!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1594 on: March 23, 2014, 09:35:35 AM »
If he'd stop restoring every car Rick Harrison sends his way, we'd have had a new SX album two years ago.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1595 on: March 24, 2014, 07:19:38 AM »
If he'd stop restoring every car Rick Harrison sends his way, we'd have had a new SX album two years ago.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1596 on: March 24, 2014, 11:27:30 AM »
If there is any truth to that, it's anything but cool.  No experts required.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1597 on: March 24, 2014, 11:45:28 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtpjGGidWE4

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1598 on: March 24, 2014, 03:11:42 PM »
LOL b_f  :lol  I could only listen to that for 15 seconds, much less 15 mins.  :rollin
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 03:25:04 PM by Dublagent66 »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1599 on: March 25, 2014, 02:17:15 AM »
The comment about the random whimsical background music making it funnier is so true too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1600 on: March 25, 2014, 04:51:51 AM »
That video is Gold Jerry, gold!

Offline PintoZ

« Reply #1601 on: May 12, 2014, 07:14:43 AM »
I compiled all of the classical pieces SX has used in one video !

Check it out here => Classical pieces in Symphony X Songs

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1602 on: May 12, 2014, 07:59:52 AM »
I compiled all of the classical pieces SX has used in one video !

Check it out here => Classical pieces in Symphony X Songs

Great work dude! I didn't even know a few ones! :)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1603 on: May 12, 2014, 08:24:35 AM »
That was interesting.  :tup I did knew some of those but I actually assumed alot of the others were just SX drawing inspiration from diffrent composers. I didn't knew they were actually real compositions.

BTW PintoZ you are actually responsible for me discovering Haken. Your Visions music video is amazing!!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 12:20:00 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #1604 on: May 12, 2014, 02:12:50 PM »
 :omg: I didn't know this! I knew there was a thing or two that was a quote, or at least probably a quote, but a lot of these I just thought were inspired by various classical works. This is amazing!!!

Offline PintoZ

« Reply #1605 on: May 12, 2014, 06:52:10 PM »

BTW PintoZ you are actually responsible for me discovering Haken. You Visions music video is amazing!!

Wow cool ! And thanks !
Everyone should check out Haken ;)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1606 on: May 12, 2014, 07:57:46 PM »

BTW PintoZ you are actually responsible for me discovering Haken. You Visions music video is amazing!!

Wow cool ! And thanks !
Everyone should check out Haken's Celestial Elixir and that's about it ;)

Fixed.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1607 on: July 15, 2014, 06:29:14 AM »
Quote from: www.symphonyx.com/site/news/new-cd-heavy-montreal-and-more/
14 July 2014
The new cd is coming right along; the songs are pretty much done and are getting some final tweaking now. Michael Romeo says that the material has a little bit of everything, and reports that the band will begin tracking drums next month after their appearance at Heavy Montreal on August 10th.
The band’s long-awaited second fan club cd will also begin taking shape around the same time, with an anticipated release in time for the holidays. As mentioned previously, it will be another collection of demo tunes and other rare material, and may also include a bit of content created just for this cd (along the lines of MJR’s Star Wars tune on the first Rarities and Demos, which has since sold out of its first pressing). SXW, the band’s revamped fan club, will be
relaunching in September.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1608 on: July 15, 2014, 08:01:24 AM »
Something is actually happening in the Symphony X camp, this is good news!!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1609 on: July 15, 2014, 09:57:54 AM »
Great! So how long are we gonna have to wait for the third Adrenaline Mob album now?!