Author Topic: The (Official?) Michael Mills & Toehider Thread  (Read 2601 times)

Online The Letter M

The (Official?) Michael Mills & Toehider Thread
« on: October 18, 2020, 11:59:52 AM »
So I haven't seen any proper thread dedicated to this Australian multi-instrumentalist and vocalist, the creative mind behind Toehider, and musical hero to Arjen Luccassen (Ayreon). While I've known his voice for years because of Ayreon, I've never checked out Toehider until recently, and I've been watching a few of Mike's live-in-the-studio performances he's posted recently on YouTube, and MAN he just blows me away.

This guy has a FOUR OCTAVE vocal range (C2-C6) and is able to masterfully control it as well, all the while playing some intense guitar parts. He's also pretty amazing at bass and drums and keys, from what I can tell, since he seems to write and record everything on the Toehider albums (near as I can tell, but that might not be the case for all of them).

Are there any pre-existing Toehider fans here? I feel like Mike is severely underrated and underappreciated. I would love to see him branch out and play with other musicians in the prog sphere, like a project with him and Mike Portnoy would be awesome.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: The (Official?) Michael Mills & Toehider Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 03:12:45 PM »
Mike is absolutely amazing. I have most of the Toehider stuff and enjoy all of it, love a good chunk of it. He's just an incredibly talented guy.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 03:30:44 PM »
I enjoy most of the Toehider releases. Though the latest album "I like it" hasn't gotten under my skin yet.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 07:45:31 PM »
What Made me a fan of his is him doing the Binary in The Day That The World Breaks Down.

His Toehider stuff is pretty good too.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline HOF

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 08:54:01 PM »
Just tried to look this guy up, and I’m thinking there’s more than one Michael Mills.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DzoDQ0Ya_NE

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2022, 02:11:51 AM »
I found this thread and decided to resurrect it as he has released an awesome new Toehider song.

I Have Little To No Memory of These Memories

There's so much going on in this 47 min. I remember seeing a sort of tracklist for the sections but I can not find it now. It's got a lot of different styles and reminds me of Queen a lot. There's sections that sound like Metallica, and also some parts take an entirely different turn.

He also released a video for "The Hoader" section of the song.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 03:38:46 PM »
I found this thread and decided to resurrect it as he has released an awesome new Toehider song.

There's so much going on in this 47 min. I remember seeing a sort of tracklist for the sections but I can not find it now. It's got a lot of different styles and reminds me of Queen a lot. There's sections that sound like Metallica, and also some parts take an entirely different turn.

listening now..some of this is like Queen and other sections are very Tull-like..and there's even a section which is like Hendrix's Third Stone from the Sun in a symphonic arrangement.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 04:14:57 PM »

listening now..some of this is like Queen and other sections are very Tull-like..and there's even a section which is like Hendrix's Third Stone from the Sun in a symphonic arrangement.

I also think the ending sounds like Dreams by Van Halen. Which for me is a good thing cause I love that song, and I also love the ending section to this song.

I also like how in the linear notes, it has the lyrics (theyre also on Bandcamp) and it lists what occurs during which he termed the "Montage" part and I think that section is brilliantly done. Especially the "High Five" moment.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2022, 03:36:28 PM »
yeah, I hear that and Dreams is a really good tune.

I have been won over enough to pickup the new album on Vinyl. And I guess the Vinyl version is slightly different?

But I Have Little to No Memory of These Memories finished #3 on my 2022 AOTY list. It's THAT good and engaging.

anyway, I'm checking out "I  Like It" from 2020..this is some more amazing stuff! The ending of "Concerning Lix & Fairs" is crazy cool!

I just wrote on Twitter

listening to @toehider's 2020 album "I Like It"; which the title does seem to fit for me. This dude might be in some ways what I have needed since Fjokra's output has dwindled (and of course the loss of Kevin Gilbert which is still being felt).

and that could be true. I may fall head over heals for all of his stuff. The crazy creative multi-instrumentalist and singer songwriter studio wizard, brings a lot of that brilliance to these songs like Fjokra and Kevin.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2022, 02:19:51 PM by SoundscapeMN »

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2022, 01:15:43 PM »
I decided to join the Toehider Patreon for the $1 tier and went the route of joining Discord as well. They have the past catalogue in a simple post on discord that's easy to hear the songs.

I discovered they actually did record a cover of Dreams. It's pretty good as well and I love it. Too bad you can't download it though. There's also covers of The Trees by Rush, Welcome Home by Coheed and Cambria, plus other interesting choices. I would say having access to just these covers alone is worth the $1 subscription, and I am glad I decided to join.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2023, 01:04:00 PM »
new EP -  XII in XII #01 - "Quit Forever​?​"

.the 1st of 12 that he's making in 2023. The Patreon had these earlier of course. I'm thinking of signing up just to get access to them all soon.

https://toehider.bandcamp.com/album/xii-in-xii-01-quit-forever
https://open.spotify.com/album/47ts53OcBGfoAhdFDocomx

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2023, 11:51:15 PM »
I just renewed my Patreon subscription because of this release. The lyrics in these songs really speak to me at this time in my life...

But the other EP's....The public is in for a fantastic treat these coming days.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2023, 06:52:57 AM »
He has made some excellent music over the years. Will check it out.

Offline me7

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2023, 01:51:33 PM »
Great EP, really looking forward to the coming releases.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2023, 12:04:32 AM »
Great EP, really looking forward to the coming releases.

My favorite of them all so far is the next release....Beacon Town 1985.

Offline me7

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2023, 05:49:47 AM »
Second EP is out. Good stuff but I prefer the previous one. "Quit forever" reminds me of "Toe Hider" and "Toehider too", which I consider to be the core Toehider style. I love how the EPs explore different directions, but these kinds of releases are my favourites.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2023, 08:14:34 AM »

yeah I'm liking this 1 a bit more. Very energetic.

I think when he does poppy/energetic songs is when I get most into them.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2023, 07:26:01 AM »

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2023, 04:36:22 AM »
I've been keeping up with all the new EPs this year, and just checked out Horse EP. I love all the different styles covered in these EPs, and there are some real gems in here.

I'd say I'd rank as follows...

Quit Forever?
Horse
Snapshots from Beacontown Spring Dance '85
The 4 Castles of Stelcoaryn

Is he still planning to release 12 this year, as that means we've got another 8 to go in less than 2 months.

Also, what the fuck is E-Snout? :lol
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 04:50:36 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline me7

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2023, 05:39:12 AM »
Agree with the ranking so far.

The plan is to release 12 EPs in 12 months, not by the end of the calendar year.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2023, 06:20:03 AM »
Agree with the ranking so far.

The plan is to release 12 EPs in 12 months, not by the end of the calendar year.

That makes more sense. 8 EPs by the end of the year is King Gizzard levels of output.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2023, 06:20:57 AM »
I've been keeping up with all the new EPs this year, and just checked out Horse EP. I love all the different styles covered in these EPs, and there are some real gems in here.

I'd say I'd rank as follows...

Quit Forever?
Horse
Snapshots from Beacontown Spring Dance '85
The 4 Castles of Stelcoaryn

Is he still planning to release 12 this year, as that means we've got another 8 to go in less than 2 months.

Also, what the fuck is E-Snout? :lol

That's the plan. If you follow him on Patreon, it makes sense.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2023, 07:09:26 PM »

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2023, 09:38:03 AM »

they're doing shows with The Dear Hunter and Closure in Moscow May 30-June 1st down under.

damn, I'd love to see that.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2024, 09:25:57 AM »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2024, 02:53:03 PM »
Might be my favourite so far of the series. Definitely my favourite side of his music, he does the quirky, theatrical prog sound so damn well!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.