Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 317260 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #1645 on: September 10, 2014, 04:27:47 PM »
It may not be my favourite SX album but it's a great album. I think there are some really strong songs like Set the world on fire, the title track, Eve of destruction, Seven, The walls of Babylon, all great tracks imo. While Iconoclast have great production and some amazing playing moments by the band, tight as hell is just the first name, no songs really grab my attention like other albums. While the production on DWOT really lacks on some areas the songs and compositions is stellar mostly through the album.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1646 on: September 13, 2014, 06:34:50 AM »
I'll probably buy this, but I honestly can't say I'm overly excited.

That about covers it for me.

And Bingo was his name.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1647 on: September 17, 2014, 02:50:02 PM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/symphony-xs-new-album-will-really-please-the-bands-old-fans/

Regarding the musical direction of the new SYMPHONY X material, SYMPHONY X bassist Michael LePond told the "Talking Metal" podcast (hear audio below): "I think this album is not gonna be as heavy as our last one, 'Iconoclast'. If I had to compare this one, I would say it's a combination of [2002's] 'The Odyssey' meets [2007's] 'Paradise Lost'. It has a lot of classic SYMPHONY X elements in it, and I think our old fans are really gonna appreciate this one. So we're really excited about it. And hopefully we can get it all recorded by the end of the year and then hopefully get it released early spring."

According to LePond, "It wasn't a conscious decision to go back to the older sound; it just kind of happened. That's the way we write songs. We just start writing songs, and wherever it takes us, it takes us. But there's a lot of really cool, classic SYMPHONY X things in there. It's very, very musical. It concentrates just more on solid songs and great melodies."

The bassist also spoke about SYMPHONY X's continued success and seeming ability to gain new fans without compromising the musical ideals that form its core identity.

"One thing that's really amazing about SYMPHONY X and about our fans is, it seems like every record, we move up a little bit more, we get just a little bit more popular," he said. "We don't jump up into stardom; it's a slow climb. I mean, the band's been together just about 20 years now, and it just seems like with every album, our fan base grows just a little bit more, and we've been able to hold the old fans too. So, thankfully, we're still growing."

He continued: "It's always an amazing thing to see someone really young discovering SYMPHONY X. It just gives you the gas to keep going and just keep working hard."
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1648 on: September 17, 2014, 03:10:36 PM »
This release is sounding very positive

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1649 on: September 17, 2014, 04:38:03 PM »
Not as heavy as Iconoclast is fine with me. Gues they figured out they're not Pantera after all.  :lol

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1650 on: September 17, 2014, 04:52:26 PM »
I recently listened to Iconoclast and it aged pretty well. Some songs I like more now, like Children of a Faceless God, which I didn't care for originally. Lords of Chaos still has a crummy chorus though. But yeah, this is great news. Something more in vein of The Odyssey with Russell being gritty but still belting out highs throughout would be fantastic. I love that album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1651 on: September 17, 2014, 05:51:29 PM »
I recently listened to Iconoclast and it aged pretty well.

Agreed.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #1652 on: September 17, 2014, 06:19:04 PM »
He's right about the fans. Every time I see a new festival announced SX seems to draw a decent billing, even if they aren't a very active regular touring band.

Probably easier to do fly in dates and get a nice paycheck too.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1653 on: September 17, 2014, 09:38:04 PM »

"One thing that's really amazing about SYMPHONY X and about our fans is, it seems like every record, we move up a little bit more, we get just a little bit more popular," he said. "We don't jump up into stardom; it's a slow climb. I mean, the band's been together just about 20 years now, and it just seems like with every album, our fan base grows just a little bit more, and we've been able to hold the old fans too. So, thankfully, we're still growing."

I wish this would motivate them to be more active. Their popularity would probably grow even more if they didn't fall off the face of the earth for 2-3 years at a time.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1654 on: September 17, 2014, 09:49:59 PM »
Back in 2011 when they were touring with Nevermore and Soilwork, the latter two bands dropped off the bill right before they came to Phoenix, so their audience was drastically smaller. But I guess they never drew over here anyway:

Quote from: December 18, 2011
Steve Koleff
Hey Mike, got a quick question: Is there any possibility that SX and IE might fit a date for Phoenix in?

Mike LePond
no

Steve Koleff
what about just Symphony X?

Mike LePond
no

Steve Koleff
ok thanks

Mike LePond
sorry

Steve Koleff
it's alright. i felt sorry for you guys when you came in May cause there was barely a crowd.

Mike LePond
yeah....we don't drraw well there...never did

Steve Koleff
How about Florida? I'll be moving back there in the future lol

Mike LePond
better over there for us

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1655 on: September 17, 2014, 09:54:02 PM »

I wish this would motivate them to be more active. Their popularity would probably grow even more if they didn't fall off the face of the earth for 2-3 years at a time.

I think their lack of an ongoing presence is more of an indication of lukewarm market climate for them than their own lack of interest in fully nurturing the band's potential. Off the top of my head, I can only think of a small group of fringe metal bands that I could confidently say have a better draw than them:

DT
Opeth
PT
Coheed and Cambria
Mastodon
BTBAM
Devin Townsend

There are obviously several more than these but not exactly 50. I just think the growth of "nerd" metal over the last decade has been so unexpectedly significant that we tend to assume that more bands can fully sustain themselves off of music than may actually be the case.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1656 on: September 17, 2014, 11:55:41 PM »

I think their lack of an ongoing presence is more of an indication of lukewarm market climate for them than their own lack of interest in fully nurturing the band's potential. Off the top of my head, I can only think of a small group of fringe metal bands that I could confidently say have a better draw than them:

DT
Opeth
PT
Coheed and Cambria
Mastodon
BTBAM
Devin Townsend

These are really prolific groups though. Opeth and DT have consistent release schedules. PT is a little bit less active these days but SW does all kinds of things to keep interest going. Devin Townsend releases music like a maniac.

Mastodon and C&C also have the benefit of a more widespread appeal than just the "nerd metal" camp. I know lots of people who like these groups but aren't into any other proggy metal. Don't know enough about BTBAM to comment on them.

I'm not saying that SX's inactivity directly causes their lack of popularity, but it's definitely not working in their favor. I don't think they'd be held to the same status of those bands (and I never said that they would), but I'm sure they'd at least generate more interest. It's hard to keep interest in a band that's only active for short bursts of time, unless they're like Tool or Metallica who already have a huge established fanbase.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1657 on: September 18, 2014, 05:53:29 PM »
Does anyone think Symphony X's new sound is "radio friendly metalcore"?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 08:50:46 PM by Zook »

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1658 on: September 18, 2014, 08:21:53 PM »
Where'd that sentiment come from?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1659 on: September 18, 2014, 08:50:31 PM »
Kenneth R, the resident music snob at the Symphony X forum.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1660 on: September 18, 2014, 08:57:08 PM »
Where'd that sentiment come from?
From someone who's never heard any metalcore before?

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1661 on: September 19, 2014, 06:59:28 AM »
I wish radio stations around me would play anything remotely similar to Iconoclast, so no.

I gave the album some more listens this week, and I enjoy it way more that I remember btw :metal

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1662 on: September 19, 2014, 10:20:56 AM »
I just listened to Iconoclast. I remember liking a few tracks when I last heard it, and I like almost everything now. The three long tracks are still my favorites, though End of Innocence, Heretic, and Light Up the Night particularly stood out this time. The track order is near perfect on the Special Edition; just as I get tired of the nonstop metal, When All is Lost begins. Then the album closes with another heavy 30 minutes. The 15 minutes or so moved to disc two really improve the album's flow, and the three bonus tracks are among the best on the album.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1663 on: September 19, 2014, 12:20:37 PM »
I think the problem with Reign In Madness is, that it's an amazing song that gets kind of damaged by its horrible lyrics. I really don't mind the lyrics for most of the album, but that song really has exceptionally bad ones unfortunately.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1664 on: September 19, 2014, 04:37:55 PM »
I think the problem with Reign In Madness is, that it's an amazing song that gets kind of damaged by its horrible lyrics. I really don't mind the lyrics for most of the album, but that song really has exceptionally bad ones unfortunately.

It's really only the "world of crazies" part that is pretty bad. I like the terminator lyrics otherwise.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1665 on: September 20, 2014, 12:30:41 AM »
You're right, that's the worst, but the first chorus (the "strike them down" one) isn't much better imo.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1666 on: September 20, 2014, 05:40:22 AM »

B-b-but... this album has "Dehumanized" on it. Lyrically, you cannot get much worse than that. With "Reign in Madness", I like how the lyrics portray a bleak end to the album's concept.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1667 on: September 21, 2014, 02:52:15 PM »
For me, that album ends with When All Is Lost. :D

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1668 on: September 21, 2014, 02:58:32 PM »

B-b-but... this album has "Dehumanized" on it. Lyrically, you cannot get much worse than that. With "Reign in Madness", I like how the lyrics portray a bleak end to the album's concept.

Dehumanized's lyrics are legendary.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1669 on: September 21, 2014, 04:19:21 PM »
I tried to sing "The Grand Design" at this Korean karaoke joint last night... I butchered it. (I have no singing talent or experience.) It was fun tho. But I would like to personally apologize to SX for ruining their song... LePond thought it was funny.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1670 on: September 30, 2014, 06:01:05 PM »
I was finally able to access the mp3 section of Symphony X's old website through The Wayback Machine and the songs are still there. These, The Odyssey, and Through The Looking Glass were my introduction to Symphony X:

King of Terrors
Awakenings
Inferno (Unleash the Fire)
Evolution (The Grand Design)
Communion and the Oracle
Smoke and Mirrors
Church of the Machine
Of Sins and Shadows
The Accolade

I wonder if I still have the CD somewhere.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1671 on: September 30, 2014, 10:56:38 PM »
King of Terrors is the only dud in the lot and still good for a dud. Very strong lineup there.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1672 on: October 08, 2014, 06:39:34 AM »
Mike LePond's Silent Assassins - EPK

Bass and Rythm guitar - Mike Lepond
Guitar - "Metal" Mike Chlasciak
Vocals - Alan Tecchio
Drum producer and lead guitar - Michael Romeo

Sounds ok, a bit generic at times but it's cool hearing him talk about his vision of the album.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MiracleSleeper

« Reply #1673 on: October 08, 2014, 03:35:33 PM »
Russell Allen easily has one of the most powerful voices in music. Would you all agree? I love how at times he can just sound heartbreakingly beautiful... and then the next minute he can just put Satan to shame.

My favorite "Powerful Vocalists" (in no order)
-Russell Allen
-Bruce Dickenson
-Matt Barlow
-Stu Block
-James Hetfield (in the late 80's and on the S&M album)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1674 on: October 08, 2014, 07:11:49 PM »
I love how at times he can just sound heartbreakingly beautiful... and then the next minute he can just put Satan to shame.

That's my exact definition of Mikael Akerfeldt's singing.   :D

Russell is also one of the very best, and I can't wait to hear the broad spectrum of his voice in the new Symphony X record. I think he was by far the best link in Adrenaline Mob, but the music left much to be desired (and it showcased just the harsh aspect of his vocals).
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Xenon

« Reply #1675 on: October 08, 2014, 07:42:30 PM »
I love how at times he can just sound heartbreakingly beautiful... and then the next minute he can just put Satan to shame.

That's my exact definition of Ihsahn's singing.   :D

:biggrin:

BTW, I really like that they tuned it down the metal in the upcoming album. Not a big fan of Iconoclast TBH.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1676 on: December 11, 2014, 12:55:14 PM »
I suggest looking at the Symphony x website. Or Facebook.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1677 on: December 11, 2014, 01:33:38 PM »
SWEET!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline krands85

« Reply #1678 on: December 11, 2014, 01:40:43 PM »
To make things a bit easier for everyone  :laugh: :

Happy Holidays to all of our friends and family! Here’s a holiday gift for you: some news on the new cd! You’re welcome. In true ‘no update until there’s something to say’ form, the Symphony X camp has been quiet as of late. Don’t let the silence fool you, though; they’ve been busy. So busy, in fact, that the new cd is almost done!
Recording of the drums, lead vocals, rhythm guitar, and bass – aka the bulk of the new album – is complete. In the next few weeks, the keyboards, guitar solos, background vocals, and some miscellaneous odds and ends will be done, with the goal to have everything recorded by the end of the month.
Michael Romeo commented “the plan was to have everything tracked by Christmas, and we’re pretty much on schedule. Things are moving at a good pace, and the songs are starting to come to life. More on that down the road a bit.”
Symphony X’s innovative mixture of heavy metal and progressive rock has made them a favored staple among prog metal fans for almost 20 years.  2011′s Iconoclast debuted at #76 on the American Billboard Top 200 chart and at #105 on the Canadian Soundscan Top 200 chart.
https://www.symphonyx.com/site/news/a-holiday-gift-news-on-the-new-cd/
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1679 on: December 11, 2014, 01:45:58 PM »
Ahh finally some SX news!  :metal