Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 327315 times)

efx and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #1120 on: October 31, 2011, 08:44:57 AM »
BAH HUMBUG!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1121 on: October 31, 2011, 08:47:07 AM »
I can see a lot of people being excited about this, but frankly I can't stand Iced Earth so I might skip out on SX this time around.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1122 on: October 31, 2011, 08:55:41 AM »
Why can't you stand them? What have you heard by them? You've awakened the beast! :footloose:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1123 on: October 31, 2011, 08:58:05 AM »
Cool... they were in Toronto earlier this year, but I couldn't catch them.  Might try to grab them this time 'round though.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1124 on: October 31, 2011, 11:01:41 AM »
Thats a very cool bill.....I'm going for sure

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1125 on: October 31, 2011, 12:08:01 PM »
Don't really care about either band as much as I used to but I'll probably be going to this.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #1126 on: February 06, 2012, 03:09:43 AM »
Don't really care about either band as much as I used to but I'll probably be going to this.

Same feeling overall and I didn't like Iconoclast as much as I thought I would. Disappointed I am, but I love When All Is Lost its in my top 5 of SX's songs. I'm having second thoughts on seeing them on the 17th, at first I was like hell yeah I'm going to I don't really care anymore, now I want to go again if I can convince friends to come with.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1127 on: February 06, 2012, 04:45:52 AM »
I'm gonna see them this month too! at one of the California shows or all of them... Good times!  :metal

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #1128 on: February 06, 2012, 08:04:57 AM »
Saw the show the other night. Real good show.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1129 on: February 10, 2012, 02:13:02 PM »
Saw the show last night.  Symphony X was awesome, they stole the show.  Iced Earth was great as well, but couldn't compare to SX.  Allen is not only an outstanding vocalist, but a fantastic frontman as well.  Wasn't familiar with Warbringer beforehand- really didn't do much for me.  Great show overall though.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1130 on: February 10, 2012, 02:20:43 PM »
Saw the show last night.  Symphony X was awesome, they stole the show.  Iced Earth was great as well, but couldn't compare to SX.  Allen is not only an outstanding vocalist, but a fantastic frontman as well.  Wasn't familiar with Warbringer beforehand- really didn't do much for me.  Great show overall though.

Damn... now I'm really bummed I didn't get a chance to see them Monday.

JJ... didn't know you were Canadian.  Explains your fantastic taste in music!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1131 on: February 10, 2012, 02:31:31 PM »

Damn... now I'm really bummed I didn't get a chance to see them Monday.

JJ... didn't know you were Canadian.  Explains your fantastic taste in music!

Jingle, you missed a great show.  I would hope SX do another Canadian tour again.  The majority (10 out of 12 songs) were from their last two discs; so hopefully you enjoyed those.  The turnout wasn't great, I would estimate 250 people. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1132 on: February 10, 2012, 02:36:29 PM »
Not surprising (but a damn pity) on the size.  The Phoenix - where they played in Toronto - has a capacity of 850, and is more of a bar than a concert venue.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #1133 on: February 10, 2012, 02:37:51 PM »
i've been waiting 12 years to scratch this one off the bucket list...

symphony x circa 5 hours from now!!! :corn  :metal  :hefdaddy

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #1134 on: February 10, 2012, 04:56:46 PM »
setlist pls

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #1135 on: February 10, 2012, 07:12:35 PM »
this setlist was taken from the Symphony X forums from this tour.

Iconoclast
The End of Innocence
Dehumanized
Bastards of the Machine
When All is Lost
Electric Messiah
Children of a Faceless God
Inferno (Unleash the Fire)
Of Sins and Shadows
Encore:
Eve of Seduction
Serpent's Kiss
Set the World on Fire (The Lie of Lies)

Kinda disappointed from it tbh, seems to be the same old setlist they always play with iconoclast songs thrown in

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1136 on: February 10, 2012, 07:13:39 PM »
Yeah, it makes that poll they did completely pointless.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #1137 on: February 10, 2012, 07:15:43 PM »
this setlist was taken from the Symphony X forums from this tour.

Iconoclast
The End of Innocence
Dehumanized
Bastards of the Machine
When All is Lost
Electric Messiah
Children of a Faceless God
Inferno (Unleash the Fire)
Of Sins and Shadows
Encore:
Eve of Seduction
Serpent's Kiss
Set the World on Fire (The Lie of Lies)

Kinda disappointed from it tbh, seems to be the same old setlist they always play with iconoclast songs thrown in

jesus christ are they ever going to stop playing things from paradise lost? haven't they played them to death already?

And the only ones NOT from PL/Iconoclast are the two that i think can be thrown away until the end of time...

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1138 on: February 10, 2012, 07:54:48 PM »
Yeah, that is a pretty lame setlist.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1139 on: February 11, 2012, 12:59:36 AM »
Russell Allen is that dude when it comes to the Robot.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1140 on: February 11, 2012, 02:30:11 AM »
I'm glad that I saw them on the Odyssey tour back in November 2002 because I will never see them as long as they're being this self-centered or intent on pandering to n00bs to completely abandon the pre-Odyssey era. Their new stuff would be exciting to me if it was the first thing I'd ever heard from them so I fully understand how the fans who've only been into them for the last two albums (or just Iconoclast) may think the sizable chunk of their fanbase that shares my stance is being petty or unduely harsh. But to have a band that continually wowed you from one album to the next, over a five album stretch, suddenly start sounding like they have hit a wall creatively and substantially watered their sound down with forced heaviness is a huge disappointment.

When you add that to the fact that they were a truly struggling band for over a decade since their debut album's release and only were able to keep pursuing their passion because of old-time fans like us that stayed with them, it's a pretty shitty slap in the face to see them taking the attitude of either "Gotta please the new fans now that we've got a meal ticket" or "Fuck it! We're tired of playing those old songs after all these years so we're only playing what we wanna even though people are paying good money to see us and frequently traveling to do so."
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1141 on: February 11, 2012, 12:46:07 PM »
Well said b_f.  I agree with everying you said, except I haven't seen them live yet.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1142 on: February 11, 2012, 03:33:26 PM »
As much as I love Paradise Lost (Iconoclast is okay, I guess), that setlist is dildos.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1143 on: February 11, 2012, 04:04:01 PM »
I like Iconoclast more. I haven't listened to Paradise Lost in ages, although I never thought it was bad. I do think it's time for a change, either going back to the Odyssey/pre Odyssey neo classical days (never gonna happen) or keep the metal flowing but have some damn variety. I don't know, put the Symphony back in Symphony X.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1144 on: February 11, 2012, 05:23:24 PM »
I love the last two albums, but that setlist is just terrible.  Bastards, Messiah, Seduction and Serpents are songs that do need to be played live.  So many more amazing songs getting ignored, and seriously this setlist has no diversity whatsoever.  I'm sure there would have been many bored fans in the audience with a setlist like that.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1145 on: February 12, 2012, 09:32:26 AM »
I love both of the last two albums but I think the setlist could use more variety. I've never even seen Symphony X live and I'd consider that setlist slightly disappointing - I can only imagine what it'd be like if you've seen Of Sins And Shadows, Inferno and Set The World On Fire all before.

The Iconoclast songs look good though. I'd rather see Reign in Madness than The End Of Innocence or Dehumanized but they have to play their singles... just play some more / better songs from older albums.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1146 on: February 13, 2012, 07:29:45 PM »
A Question: Since their S/T Symphony X has always hidden their two Masks in all their album covers; are the three faces in the Iconoclast cover meant to represent them? It sure seems obvious but, why three? The two masks remind me of their better era :P

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #1147 on: February 13, 2012, 09:32:57 PM »
i see many peeps complaining about the setlist...while it didnt bother me (i woulda taken anything), ya, it woulda been nice to get more than two songs pre-ParadiseLost.

what did kinda bother me was the volume...it seemed fine for the first song (maybe a touch too loud), but then it got louder...too loud if you ask me (became rather wall-of-sound-y at times). a little before the encore, i made my way outta the pit and positioned myself towards the back of the room, where it was better (obviously). same venue as i'd seen BTBAM 2 months earlier, and i thought btbam were only marginally too loud (not enough to complain).

i was also kinda surprised how intense the mosh pit was. we arrived near the end of warbringer's set, and i could see things were rather intense down there...pointed it out to the wife but assured her it wouldnt be as bad for SymphX.
well, it was close. and it was a more intense pit than aforementioned BTBAM 2 months earlier (which rather surprises me)...i guess the setlist kinda plays into this a bit. when all is lost was probably the most enjoyable song, if not for its awesomeness, then for its balladyness - the song had more room to breathe amongst the volume levels, and the crowd was a bit more subdued down there.

between the crowd exuberance and volume levels, i really coulda went for a couple more ballads.
all bitching aside, i still had a great time. romeo brought it, the band seemed tight (even when it was hard to tell due to wall-of-sound), and russ' vox were on (despite a cold)...and he liked all our smiling faces.
 :metal

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1148 on: February 14, 2012, 12:50:47 PM »
put the Symphony back in Symphony X.

Yay for that!  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1149 on: February 15, 2012, 02:21:36 AM »
I'm just happy that I had a chance to see Symphony X; I thought they were one of the bands that I would never get to see live.  So I'm definitely not complaining about the setlist, but then again, I am a huge fan of the last two discs.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1150 on: February 25, 2012, 01:22:40 PM »
just checked the setlist to see if its worth driving to check them out next week. totally not happening.

Offline BanksD

« Reply #1151 on: February 26, 2012, 10:14:57 AM »
Been checking out more of these guys the past week as I will be seeing them this Saturday along with Iced Earth and Warbringer (two bands I also enjoy a lot), and so far I've loved all that I've heard (that being Paradise Lost, V, The Odyssey, and Iconoclast)

my favorite album so far is V, closely followed by Paradise Lost with The Odyssey and Iconoclast tied at #3.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1152 on: February 26, 2012, 12:06:48 PM »
Symphony X's show last night kicked ass! I know a lot of people don't seem to like Iconoclast, but I thought it was awesome, and I'm glad that they played most of it live.

Two things: I wouldn't mind them dropping Children With A Faceless God for one more older song, and the 3 PL songs for Odyssey or Divine Wings.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1153 on: February 26, 2012, 01:00:12 PM »
I've got a VIP/meet and greet for the show tonight. Maybe I should tell them the set sucks  :biggrin:  :P

But nah. I'm glad the last time I saw em they played The Odyssey, and a few other older ones. And I like PL enough to not mind if they play a lot from it. I'm not a huge Iconoclast fan aside from the title track and a couple others. Everything else is meh.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 01:07:49 PM by MetalMike06 »

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1154 on: April 10, 2012, 04:57:02 PM »
Is the self titled album worth listening too if a huge part of the reason i listen to SX is because of Russell Allen?

Also