Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461345 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #3920 on: June 02, 2016, 08:23:33 AM »
Having a studio meddle with a director's creative vision can be a disaster.  But if there's one studio I trust to meddle and get it right, it's Disney.  Reading the entire article and putting all the comments in context, it seems like they just want to make sure to get it right, and I trust that they will.  And the added bonus is that we may perhaps at some point get a true "director's cut" out of this.  :D
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3921 on: June 02, 2016, 08:26:49 AM »
Having a studio meddle with a director's creative vision can be a disaster.  But if there's one studio I trust to meddle and get it right, it's Disney.  Reading the entire article and putting all the comments in context, it seems like they just want to make sure to get it right, and I trust that they will.  And the added bonus is that we may perhaps at some point get a true "director's cut" out of this.  :D

And Star Wars has already proven that sometimes the director's creative vision could do with some meddling. :neverusethis:
I think it's just a matter of having this movie hit every mark and appeal to a wide audience. TFA has gained Disney/Lucasfilm the benefit of the doubt for now imo.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3922 on: June 02, 2016, 08:42:42 AM »
And Star Wars has already proven that sometimes the director's creative vision could do with some meddling. :neverusethis:
Indeed.

Like bosky, I trust Disney.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3923 on: June 02, 2016, 09:11:30 AM »
This was the same director that did Godzilla 2014, so, while I liked that movie quite a bit, I have no problem with Disney meddling.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3924 on: June 02, 2016, 09:38:57 AM »

I think it's just a matter of having this movie hit every mark and appeal to a wide audience. TFA has gained Disney/Lucasfilm the benefit of the doubt for now imo.

Yeah, true.  I didn't bring that up just because Lucas is no longer involved anyway, so I didn't see the point.  But you are of course absolutely correct in citing that example. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3925 on: June 02, 2016, 11:41:05 AM »

I read that Disney already made back the $4bn they paid for Lucasfilm *just* from TFA merchandise so whatever happens - they're laughing.

But I don't expect Rogue One to make any less than $800m

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3926 on: June 07, 2016, 01:11:45 PM »
Watched Ep. VII again this weekend.  To go back to the Rey/Kylo duel debate:  During the duel (and throughout the movie), I was more attuned to the argument that maybe Ren just wasn't that good a sabre fighter and not very strong in the force anyway, hence partially explaining why she was able to beat him.  But I really don't think that was it.  He handled his sabre just fine.  And at various points in the duel when he was fighting either Fin or Rey, he did appear to just be toying with them and making them suffer a bit.  At the end of the day, I think Rey beating him just came down to the fact that the good guy needs to win the light sabre fight at the end of the movie, and JJ tried to make it a bit more plausible by having Kylo wounded so badly.  No need to overthink it.  It just is what it is, and if you aren't the kind of person that can suspend belief and just roll with it, then Star Wars probably isn't for you anyway, since there are plenty of other inconsistencies you have to suspend belief for in order for the story to work anyway (and that is true of all the prior episodes, not just TFA).

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3927 on: June 07, 2016, 04:00:43 PM »
Agreed. Star Wars does have lots of depth, but it's not a "think hard" kind of story and it never has been.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3928 on: June 08, 2016, 07:08:53 AM »
Unless I'm missing something, which is very possible, Kylo-Rey wasn't even the first instance in the series of someone with no light saber experience beating a veteran. In the original trilogy, Luke gets no formal training, but still manages to beat Vader because he gets pissed and the dark side of the force takes over for a minute. Seems like literally the exact same thing that happened with Rey. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3929 on: June 08, 2016, 07:14:16 AM »
I thought Obi-Wan gave Luke the basics, then Luke went on to train with Yoda, all before facing Darth Vader.  We saw Obi-Wan get Luke started on the light saber with the blind training.  I don't specifically remember any light saber training with Yoda, but it seems like it would've been part of it.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #3930 on: June 08, 2016, 09:06:58 AM »
I thought Obi-Wan gave Luke the basics, then Luke went on to train with Yoda, all before facing Darth Vader.  We saw Obi-Wan get Luke started on the light saber with the blind training.  I don't specifically remember any light saber training with Yoda, but it seems like it would've been part of it.

These are all really good points, but the way I see it is: Even if we assume that Luke had a few years of light saber training before VI, that still probably wouldn't have been enough to take down Vader if light saber fighting were purely skill based. I could dedicate the next five years of my life to tennis, but I'm still not beating Novak Djokovic.

To me, it seems like light saber fighting is more about the force, being in tune with the force, and emotion as opposed to experience, training, or anything like that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3931 on: June 08, 2016, 09:27:32 AM »
We could debate it endlessly, but there isn't much point to it.  But to briefly go back to my point and compare it to the Luke/Vader scenario, I still don't think they are comparable.  You are right that a few years training may not make one capable of going toe to toe with a master.  But it is still MUCH more plausible than someone with zero experience.  So, again, I just don't think this is "more of the same."  It really is a different situation.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3932 on: June 08, 2016, 10:24:06 AM »
He handled his sabre just fine.  And at various points in the duel when he was fighting either Fin

The last time I watched it a couple weeks ago with the kiddos I made a point to watch the Ren/Fin fight closely.....which revealed that Ren was absolutely toying with Fin the entire time and not five seconds after Fin lands that lucky strike against Ren.....Ren disarms and then delivered that near fatal blow to him. Which...was his first 'offensive' strike, until that point he was just defending what Fin was throwing at him rather easily....at one point toying with him with the side saber shoulder burn.

As far as his fight with Rey....he wasn't trying to kill her either and it wasn't until she relied on the Force (the same Force that helped her fly the Falcon with such expertise) that she was able to overtake the very wounded Ren. I think it was Zantera who made the point that JJ specifically included three or four scenes that illustrated just how powerful Chewbaccas crossbow laser gun was....then Ren takes a full blast right to the gut with it and the thing hardly budges him on the walkway. He's beating his side the entire dual between he Fin/Rey obviously "manning" himself up and is clearly weakened despite him not wanting to show it.

I would suspect the next saber battle he is in is much more decisive and intense

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #3933 on: June 08, 2016, 10:29:11 AM »
Yea, no point arguing about it all day. I think the main point I'm trying to make is just that the Kylo-Rey duel wasn't some massive plot hole, which a lot of people on the interwebz complained about. For one, this is Star Wars and it's not really worth thinking about too much. Second, if you are a geek like me and drill into it anyway, there are a lot of reasonable explanations for it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3934 on: June 22, 2016, 02:00:21 PM »
Interesting news today.  Forest Whitaker's role in Rogue One is revealed to be Saw Gerrera, a character from the animated series The Clone Wars, which will probably be a big deal to fans of that show (congrats!) but doesn't mean diddly-poo to me.

Also, Darth Vader confirmed to show up.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3935 on: June 22, 2016, 02:38:09 PM »
James Earl Jones almost certainly doing the voice i'd have thought.

Is David Prowse still around ? I know he didn't speak but it would be right to have him in the suit again if he's still alive.

Google says he is alive but 80 so they could have him for talky shots but not for running, jumping, climbing trees shots.

Kinda like Peter Mayhew in Episode 7.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3936 on: June 22, 2016, 02:51:34 PM »

Is David Prowse still around ? I know he didn't speak but it would be right to have him in the suit again if he's still alive.

Google says he is alive but 80 so they could have him for talky shots but not for running, jumping, climbing trees shots.

Oh, I so hope there are Vader climbing trees scenes.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3937 on: June 22, 2016, 03:07:38 PM »

Oh, I so hope there are Vader climbing trees scenes.
:lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3938 on: June 22, 2016, 03:18:32 PM »
"Lord Vader, what are you doing up there?"

"Trying to get Kitty down."
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3939 on: June 22, 2016, 03:19:27 PM »

Vader I always assumed you were crazy but now you are up a tree I can clearly see you're nuts.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #3940 on: June 22, 2016, 10:58:52 PM »
Interesting news today.  Forest Whitaker's role in Rogue One is revealed to be Saw Gerrera, a character from the animated series The Clone Wars, which will probably be a big deal to fans of that show (congrats!) but doesn't mean diddly-poo to me.

Also, Darth Vader confirmed to show up.

I love that they are including the animated shows! Really brings the canon full circle

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #3941 on: June 23, 2016, 01:43:57 AM »

Vader I always assumed you were crazy but now you are up a tree I can clearly see you're nuts.

I don't think Dave Prowse will be returning any time soon. He had a big falling out with Lucasfilm / GL, apparently over the fact that he allegedly leaked an important piece of info about Luke's parentage in ESB:

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/12/14/star-wars-darth-vader-david-prowse_n_8804340.html
https://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/12/20/does-darth-vader-actor-david-prowse-still-hate-star-wars.html

Plus, I think he has some physical limitations these days with his age, so his tree climbing days might be over..  :biggrin:

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3942 on: July 15, 2016, 11:17:16 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3943 on: July 15, 2016, 11:20:30 AM »
That is a strange looking poster.  Is it official?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #3945 on: July 15, 2016, 11:41:03 AM »
How dare the Empire ruin the Rebels vacation in Guatamala

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3946 on: July 15, 2016, 11:42:59 AM »
That is a strange poster. Not sure I dig it.

I hope they're not trying to remarket this film as a fun romp.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Accelerando

« Reply #3947 on: July 16, 2016, 12:55:09 PM »
Great news!!! Grand Admiral Thrawn is now canon!!!! He will appear in season 3 of Rebels!

https://go.ign.com/2iDfZLd

Grand Admiral Thrawn is once again a part of the official Star Wars canon.

The trailer for Season 3, shown at Star Wars Celebration 2016 in London, confirmed inclusion of the iconic Expanded Universe villain.

The character first appeared in Timothy Zahn's Thrawn trilogy of novels (1991-1993), but was placed under the Star Wars Legends banner (non-canonical story) on April 25, 2014, when Lucasfilm trimmed back the Expanded Universe in preparation for the upcoming sequel trilogy, beginning with The Force Awakens.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3948 on: July 16, 2016, 08:33:37 PM »
I don't consider that great news. The EU should all stay dead.

Rogue One is shaping up to be pretty damn good though. I like the poster, intentionally blending the very familiar image of the Death Star with a completely new setting. I think the space monkey guy is already going to be my favourite thing. :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3949 on: July 16, 2016, 08:45:59 PM »
I read so many books after the first 3 movies I can separate the movies from everything else.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3951 on: July 16, 2016, 09:02:04 PM »

Guilty!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #3952 on: July 17, 2016, 02:25:25 AM »
Thrawn is canon? That is fucking awesome!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3953 on: July 17, 2016, 03:03:43 AM »
Thrawn in incredible. One of my favorite characters  :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3954 on: July 17, 2016, 08:25:29 AM »
What is Thrawn's second name ?