Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 464039 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #2520 on: December 01, 2014, 10:25:08 AM »
I know, right?? I didn't even think about it till Hef pointed it out. Thanks Hef, now my day is fucked....

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2521 on: December 01, 2014, 10:36:01 AM »
Star Wars is now officially dead to me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2522 on: December 01, 2014, 10:38:03 AM »
I'm pretty sure that's just a belt.

Could be, but that isn't how it looks to me.  I guess we will find out eventually.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2523 on: December 01, 2014, 11:03:07 AM »
I know, right?? I didn't even think about it till Hef pointed it out. Thanks Hef, now my day is fucked....
Glad I could help.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2524 on: December 01, 2014, 11:07:12 AM »

Also, there is no Santa Claus.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2525 on: December 01, 2014, 11:12:16 AM »
Santa was killed with that lightsaber.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2526 on: December 01, 2014, 11:20:09 AM »
You mean other than when you can see right through him and see the forest in front of him where you should instead see his torso?

Watch again and look right when he starts to crouch over.

Yeah I suspected that those were the "holes" you meant. But I also naturally assumed they were reflections on a belt as well.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 11:25:24 AM by BlackInk »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2527 on: December 01, 2014, 11:24:23 AM »

By the Grinch.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #2528 on: December 01, 2014, 11:56:00 AM »

By the Grinch.

Darth Grinch? It does sound like a George Lucas villain.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2529 on: December 01, 2014, 12:18:31 PM »
I just realized something awful.

Since Disney will distribute these films from now on, we will no longer get the 20th Century Fox fanfare before the main title music.

:(

Ok.
:clap:
Great addition to the topic Kotow.

:clap: You too.

I was doing a "Hef". :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2530 on: December 01, 2014, 12:20:48 PM »

Could be, but that isn't how it looks to me.  I guess we will find out eventually.

I zoomed in on it and it's 100% a belt.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2531 on: December 01, 2014, 12:27:23 PM »
I suppose that having the equally nostalgic Disney fanfare could soften the blow of no longer having the Fox fanfare.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2532 on: December 01, 2014, 01:07:20 PM »
I imagined JJ would. He's a fan first and knows what other fans want.

I never like that rationale for filmaking. Being a fan doesn't necessarily mean you are going to make a superior film. Bringing your potential biases in to it can be a good thing, but it can be a bad thing as well. Art needs to have some level of objectivity.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2533 on: December 01, 2014, 01:13:25 PM »
Moving on from "is it a hilt or is it a sub-textual religion reference!?" to "is it a hole or is it a belt!?"

This is DTF, mofos. Love it.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2534 on: December 01, 2014, 01:16:03 PM »
I imagined JJ would. He's a fan first and knows what other fans want.

I never like that rationale for filmaking. Being a fan doesn't necessarily mean you are going to make a superior film. Bringing your potential biases in to it can be a good thing, but it can be a bad thing as well. Art needs to have some level of objectivity.

You are right that being a fan doesn't necessarily mean one is going to make a superior film.  However, it can be a good indicator that, because of one's fandom and love for the original films, he will have a respect for the legacy of those films and would do his best to try to do justice to that by making good films going forward.  And if he has the talent to back that up, isn't that all fans could really ask for?  Doesn't desire to do justice to the films' legacy plus ability to make quality films equate to good potential for a positive result?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2535 on: December 01, 2014, 01:27:16 PM »
While we're at it:

Teaser recreated in Skyrim
My favourite bit was the Millenium Falcon. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2536 on: December 01, 2014, 02:17:42 PM »
Moving on from "is it a hilt or is it a sub-textual religion reference!?" to "is it a hole or is it a belt!?"

This is DTF, mofos. Love it.

At least it's not the TOOL forum. They'd count how many seconds the trailer lasts and see if it is divisible by 666.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2537 on: December 01, 2014, 02:23:50 PM »
Oh, I actually was saying that I love it. That wasn't sarcastic.

Also, I just saw that tattoo... Yeesh. Couldn't even wait? What if in the next scene that dude gets stomped on by some crazy Star Wars monster? Or what if he smashes into a wall and explodes? Or if that's his only scene? He's a cool little dude, it's just.... Eh. I'm not sure why I'm surprised. Rabid fans of any sci-fi flick are the absolute worst.  :lol

RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2538 on: December 01, 2014, 02:53:57 PM »

You are right that being a fan doesn't necessarily mean one is going to make a superior film.  However, it can be a good indicator that, because of one's fandom and love for the original films, he will have a respect for the legacy of those films and would do his best to try to do justice to that by making good films going forward.  And if he has the talent to back that up, isn't that all fans could really ask for?  Doesn't desire to do justice to the films' legacy plus ability to make quality films equate to good potential for a positive result?

Case Closed. :bosky:

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2539 on: December 01, 2014, 03:42:55 PM »

When playing the video back in YouTube, select the Settings button and lower the playback speed down to 0.25 during that section. It's pretty clear that it's a belt.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2540 on: December 01, 2014, 03:48:08 PM »
…because of one's fandom and love for the original films, he will have a respect for the legacy of those films and would do his best to try to do justice to that by making good films going forward.

And how did that work out for Eps 1-3?

…And if he has the talent to back that up…

Yeah, if :p
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2541 on: December 01, 2014, 04:14:50 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure Lucas meets either criteria.  He respects his ever-changing vision of what the legacy of the films should be, but does not seem to have much (if any) regard for how others value the legacy of the films.  And what he does not seem to get is that, ultimately, the legacy of the films is determined by the fans, not the creator. 

And the talent/ability to create good films...well, need I go any further?  :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2542 on: December 01, 2014, 04:28:13 PM »
JJ pretty much knows what he wants / thinks Star Wars to be.

Whereas - in the end - I don't think George Lucas even knew what he wanted SW to be.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2543 on: December 01, 2014, 04:36:31 PM »
Whereas - in the end - I don't think George Lucas even knew what he wanted SW to be.

He did. It just changed drastically over time.  :) *

I fully agree with Bosk. I was being sarcastic that Lucas being the franchise's #1 fan would enable him to make the best possible SW film. Your point about the fans dictating the legacy is spot on.

I've said this before, but Nick Meyer is largely credited with saving the Star Trek franchise with Wrath of Khan after the mixed reception of TMP, and he knew nothing about Trek going in, other than it had a guy with pointy ears. So it can work both ways. 

And I just don't hold Abrams' work at the elevated level other people do. Nothing he has done has impressed me much, but that is limited to his big screen work.

Carry on.

* Noticably analagous to Gene R and Star Trek. It is both fortunate and a little sad that Paramount basically uninvited Gene to be involved in Trek movies post-TMP. Sad that it was necessary, fortunate as Gene had lost touch with Trek and his creative juices had diminished over time. He, like Lucas, are greatly creative and imaginative. Not talented screenwriters and/or directors.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 05:19:40 PM by Cool Chris »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2544 on: December 01, 2014, 07:38:23 PM »
JJ pretty much knows what he wants / thinks Star Wars to be.

Yep, he even tested it twice on Star Trek movies. :P

Both Lucas and Roddenberry were visionaries who created great franchises, but both lost their way and became a bit stubborn about it being their way in the end.

Oh, I actually was saying that I love it. That wasn't sarcastic.

Also, I just saw that tattoo... Yeesh. Couldn't even wait? What if in the next scene that dude gets stomped on by some crazy Star Wars monster? Or what if he smashes into a wall and explodes? Or if that's his only scene? He's a cool little dude, it's just.... Eh. I'm not sure why I'm surprised. Rabid fans of any sci-fi flick are the absolute worst.  :lol

I don't think it's exclusively a scifi thing, but it's pretty sad. If you're going to get something permanently inked onto your body, give it some damn thought first, at least wait until you've seen the movie. Maybe the robot ends up being the new Jar Jar. Then how would you feel? I think the idiot just wanted to get in first, without thinking it through. At least it's a pretty well done tattoo.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2545 on: December 01, 2014, 08:05:45 PM »
Also, I just saw that tattoo...Or what if he smashes into a wall and explodes? Or if that's his only scene?

The robot/droid would become the Charlie Dominici of the SW Universe

Yes, I know we poke fun at Charlie's tattoo, not that he was actually a tattoo himself... but the analogy made me chuckle

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #2546 on: December 01, 2014, 08:58:23 PM »
Yeah, definitely not a sci/fi exclusive thing, I was just poking fun. Any rabid fans are the worst, really; at least when they're daft enough to get a tat so quickly when they've seen a minute long trailer with a split-second image of a character.

That said, I am looking forward most to seeing all the new flora and fauna of the SW universe in a new light.

Also, rumors of Serkis playing MULTIPLE mo-capped characters!? The man is insanely talented, I could see it happening. I've really come to respect how the mo-cap...er...'genre' (?) works and watching him behind the scenes shows that it's truly a grueling, time-consuming process.

RIP DTP.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2547 on: December 01, 2014, 11:04:03 PM »
Yeah, definitely not a sci/fi exclusive thing, I was just poking fun. Any rabid fans are the worst, really; at least when they're daft enough to get a tat so quickly when they've seen a minute long trailer with a split-second image of a character.
My thought was, worst-case scenario, the Empire is racially cleansing and that droid is out to kill that black stormtrooper. Then that tat guy would totally be an ass.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 11:24:22 PM by MetalJunkie »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2548 on: December 01, 2014, 11:20:35 PM »
My thought was, worst-case scenario, the Empire is racially cleansing and that droid is out to kill that black stormtrooper. Than that tat guy would totally be an ass.

:rollin
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2549 on: December 01, 2014, 11:36:54 PM »
Blizzard just posted this on twitter.

Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2550 on: December 02, 2014, 12:26:10 AM »
Ha
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #2551 on: December 02, 2014, 01:42:11 AM »
I just realized something awful.

Since Disney will distribute these films from now on, we will no longer get the 20th Century Fox fanfare before the main title music.

:(

Yeah, this was one of the first things that went through my mind when I heard about the Disney acquisition.  Gonna feel strange, no doubt.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2552 on: December 02, 2014, 02:05:45 AM »
Opening with the Disney castle this time, I feel like I will subconsciously take this movie less seriously than I would have otherwise.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2553 on: December 02, 2014, 08:24:20 AM »
Same here.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2554 on: December 02, 2014, 08:47:17 AM »
I don't think it's exclusively a scifi thing, but it's pretty sad. If you're going to get something permanently inked onto your body, give it some damn thought first

Like this guy?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."