Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 344538 times)

Offline RazielSR

Re: On the Backs of Angels Thread
« Reply #1715 on: July 07, 2011, 08:49:55 AM »
 :D :D It's funny to see moderators replying to old posts about MP while we were talking about the song finally, and then they claim we should focus on the title of the topic.

You know what ariich?

:facepalm:

Back on topic again: I have listened to the song again, it is 4 times now, and it gets better and I like the way the drums are mixed more and more now.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1716 on: July 07, 2011, 08:52:29 AM »
Mods, I don't want to tell you how to do your job... but I get really annoyed when I come to this thread wanting to read about On the Backs of Angels, but then have to sift through a mountain of MP tweet discussion.  I just think that those belong in a thread of its own. If I'm the only person that feels that way then just ignore me.

Agreed.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1717 on: July 07, 2011, 08:57:41 AM »
Mods, I don't want to tell you how to do your job... but I get really annoyed when I come to this thread wanting to read about On the Backs of Angels, but then have to sift through a mountain of MP tweet discussion.  I just think that those belong in a thread of its own. If I'm the only person that feels that way then just ignore me.

Well, the tweet was about the song, so it was related.  But I can understand being frustrated if you just want to read fan's reactions and don't care about the latest Portnoy drama.

Offline unklejman

« Reply #1718 on: July 07, 2011, 09:05:21 AM »

Well, the tweet was about the song, so it was related.  But I can understand being frustrated if you just want to read fan's reactions and don't care about the latest Portnoy drama.

At first. It has grown into general discussion of the whole MP/DT situation.

Anyway... I'm going to take a bit of a break from listening as well. I'm sure I've listened to it well over 20 times. Then end just leaves me wanting to hear more.  That's ok, I have new Camel and King Crimson albums to explore for now.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1719 on: July 07, 2011, 09:05:53 AM »
...the latest Portnoy drama.
Sounds like a good sticky thread title. :lol

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1720 on: July 07, 2011, 10:06:33 AM »
Still not tired of the song, I'm very much inclined to give it at least 1-2 spins a day. I've been revisiting my favorite DT records again these days, and I have to say this song brings something fresh to their sound, while still having everything I like about them. At first glance the song seemed to have the problem of having random sections tied together, but that's so not the case. The more and more listens it gets, the more each section gets placed better in context. Which means it grabs you by the throat more and more. Awesome, DT. Really great.

Can't really explain it, the composition and arrangement is just top notch, just like they did on I&W through FII. Has elements post SFAM DT as well (which are awesome elements), but it hasn't got the over the top METUHL and wankery. This song just has awesome little breaks, and an amazingly beautiful instrumental section.

So yeah, basically DT doing what they do best. Seeing 'em live next sunday hell yeah!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1721 on: July 07, 2011, 11:42:13 AM »
Yeah, I get a Root of All Evil, These Walls, Forsaken vibe. Mixed with the classic mood and atmosphere.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TL

« Reply #1722 on: July 07, 2011, 12:31:56 PM »
Listening to it yet again, I have to say, hearing the bass so clearly audible just makes me smile.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1723 on: July 07, 2011, 12:39:30 PM »
My current ranking of DT's opening tracks, disregarding Regression.

The Glass Prison
In the Presence of Enemies Pt. 1
As I Am
A Fortune in Lies
On the Backs of Angels
A Nightmare to Remember
Pull Me Under
6:00
The Root of All Evil
New Millennium
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #1724 on: July 07, 2011, 02:25:49 PM »
Listening to it yet again, I have to say, hearing the bass so clearly audible just makes me smile.
Agreed. Still I think my bass tone is faaar better than Muyng's, but being audible is a start. His tone still ain't that good (but sounds a little better than BC&SL though), but it was very nice for instance on I&W. The Great Debate is probably the last track where the bass sounded great. I think it's a bit frustrating that when I'm just an amateur, I'm still getting tones that are sounding so much better both soloed and in a mix. Considering he's using a Bongo (I myself use a 5 string Stingray), he could get a very good clean tone to lay down some nice bottom.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1725 on: July 07, 2011, 02:29:02 PM »
Agreed. Still I think my bass tone is faaar better than Muyng's, but being audible is a start (tone sounds a little better than BC&SL though). His tone still ain't that good, but it was very nice for instance on I&W. The Great Debate is probably the last track where the bass sounded great. I think it's a bit frustrating that when I'm just an amateur, I'm still getting tones that are sounding so much better both soloed and in a mix. Considering he's using a Bongo (I myself use a 5 string Stingray), he could get a very good clean tone to lay down some nice bottom.
Music Man's sound is the greatest, maybe JM is not using that souns in fully, but he has His tone, very characteristic. I'm using Yamaha and I could say that my bottom is also,hm, maybe it has more ground. But JM's tone fits there, it's definitly better in OTBOA than in all BC&SL...

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1726 on: July 07, 2011, 02:38:26 PM »
Are we talking about songs or boners I can't tell.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #1727 on: July 07, 2011, 02:46:36 PM »
Agreed. Still I think my bass tone is faaar better than Muyng's, but being audible is a start (tone sounds a little better than BC&SL though). His tone still ain't that good, but it was very nice for instance on I&W. The Great Debate is probably the last track where the bass sounded great. I think it's a bit frustrating that when I'm just an amateur, I'm still getting tones that are sounding so much better both soloed and in a mix. Considering he's using a Bongo (I myself use a 5 string Stingray), he could get a very good clean tone to lay down some nice bottom.
Music Man's sound is the greatest, maybe JM is not using that souns in fully, but he has His tone, very characteristic. I'm using Yamaha and I could say that my bottom is also,hm, maybe it has more ground. But JM's tone fits there, it's definitly better in OTBOA than in all BC&SL...
Yeah, it's easily twice as good as BC&SL. Still a bit too much of that fuzz thing to my ears. Distortion CAN be cool, but only at times where a song is really asking for it. BC&SL had a distorted sound that didn't sound good in any way, I suppose I just don't like whatever pedal he's using (sounding very low fi). Still sounds like the same thing, but with some better settings this time around and not that much of it. In general it would sound better with it completely off though. With the distorted tone from Petrucci that's enough of that, the bass would shine more without distortion that keeps fighting with the guitar.
I would so love getting stems again (of course that was a one time thing), and play a clean tone on this song.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 02:56:56 PM by Dellers »
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1728 on: July 07, 2011, 02:49:26 PM »
:-*
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1729 on: July 07, 2011, 02:52:07 PM »
:millahhhh

Let's just say that, in my mind, that is not a lab bottle he's holding. :heart
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1730 on: July 07, 2011, 04:53:40 PM »

Is that what it's meant to be?! I thought he was blind!

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #1731 on: July 07, 2011, 07:30:44 PM »

Is that what it's meant to be?! I thought he was blind!

This. I thought it was a blind trumpet player!

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #1732 on: July 07, 2011, 07:39:56 PM »
My current ranking of DT's opening tracks, disregarding Regression.

The Glass Prison
In the Presence of Enemies Pt. 1
As I Am
A Fortune in Lies
On the Backs of Angels
A Nightmare to Remember
Pull Me Under
6:00
The Root of All Evil
New Millennium

at least you got the New Millenium part right

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1733 on: July 07, 2011, 07:43:24 PM »
new millennium is awesome

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1734 on: July 07, 2011, 08:29:47 PM »

:chill

This is not exactly a chill pill. It's meant for something else.

:heart
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Knguro

« Reply #1735 on: July 07, 2011, 09:11:04 PM »

:chill

This is not exactly a chill pill. It's meant for something else.

:heart

Damn guys! This thread is going nuts!!!  :eek
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1736 on: July 07, 2011, 09:24:20 PM »
Quite literally, in fact. That's the new topic.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 10:38:54 PM by GasparXR »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1737 on: July 07, 2011, 10:37:45 PM »
Quite litereally, in fact. That's the new topic.

*clap clap*
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #1738 on: July 08, 2011, 12:27:26 AM »
Awesome song.  What I like most about it is that it's a SONG - not a showcase to demonstrate how fast JP and Jordan can play licks that have nothing to do with the song.  It feels like a real, genuine SONG.  They've been missing that for a while.  The instrumental parts are great..... love the piano interlude/ solo, the little guitar melody/ solo after the verses.... overall great tune.  Very much looking forward to the album.  The only one I'm worried about is "The Shaman's Trance."  Just a goofy topic for a song.....  

Oh, and..... not to get this BS started again, BUT.... please, MP liked a comment that called Mangini's playing awful.  Stop being fanboys and just admit it.  Not everyone is perfect.  MP is a human and, quite honestly, I can empathize with him.  He's wrong.  He's being immature.  But, he's human and humans have emotions and feelings and they react to things.  There's NOTHING wrong with saying, as fans of MP, that he behaved inappropriately.  And, the argument that, "he wasn't at the Rome show, so he couldn't have commented on Mangini's playing" is kind of dumb.  

When you're hurt about something, you're going to let emotion take you over and you're going to say things without any logic or factual information.  MP could never have even known who Mike Mangini is and never heard him play one note and I think he still would have "liked" the comment.  He's upset and he's going to agree with ANYONE that criticizes DT, especially a fan who is siding with him.  
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1739 on: July 08, 2011, 02:04:10 AM »
Awesome song.  What I like most about it is that it's a SONG - not a showcase to demonstrate how fast JP and Jordan can play licks that have nothing to do with the song.  It feels like a real, genuine SONG.  They've been missing that for a while.  The instrumental parts are great..... love the piano interlude/ solo, the little guitar melody/ solo after the verses.... overall great tune.  Very much looking forward to the album.  The only one I'm worried about is "The Shaman's Trance."  Just a goofy topic for a song.....  

Oh, and..... not to get this BS started again, BUT.... please, MP liked a comment that called Mangini's playing awful.  Stop being fanboys and just admit it.  Not everyone is perfect.  MP is a human and, quite honestly, I can empathize with him.  He's wrong.  He's being immature.  But, he's human and humans have emotions and feelings and they react to things.  There's NOTHING wrong with saying, as fans of MP, that he behaved inappropriately.  And, the argument that, "he wasn't at the Rome show, so he couldn't have commented on Mangini's playing" is kind of dumb.  

When you're hurt about something, you're going to let emotion take you over and you're going to say things without any logic or factual information.  MP could never have even known who Mike Mangini is and never heard him play one note and I think he still would have "liked" the comment.  He's upset and he's going to agree with ANYONE that criticizes DT, especially a fan who is siding with him.  

In any case, MP has always called for attention : he's done a great job with his "likes" because people are still discussing them 3 days later. And that was , IMO, intentional on his part.

B.Lee

On topic : OtBoA is an awesome song : it didn't click with me at first but then, I've been discovering tiny things here and there with every new listen. And THAT is a good sign in my book. Long live DT!
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Blackfield

« Reply #1740 on: July 08, 2011, 03:53:08 AM »
This have to be one of the most compex DT songs out there. I cant really get a grip of the last minute for example, its impossible! So what do you think?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1741 on: July 08, 2011, 05:00:37 AM »
This have to be one of the most compex DT songs out there. I cant really get a grip of the last minute for example, its impossible! So what do you think?
Not really.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1742 on: July 08, 2011, 05:03:21 AM »
Not really.
Yeah it's really not one of their complex pieces.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #1743 on: July 08, 2011, 05:07:06 AM »

Oh, and..... not to get this BS started again, BUT.... please, MP liked a comment that called Mangini's playing awful.  Stop being fanboys and just admit it.  Not everyone is perfect.  MP is a human and, quite honestly, I can empathize with him.  He's wrong.  He's being immature.  But, he's human and humans have emotions and feelings and they react to things.  There's NOTHING wrong with saying, as fans of MP, that he behaved inappropriately.  And, the argument that, "he wasn't at the Rome show, so he couldn't have commented on Mangini's playing" is kind of dumb.  .  

Yeah im 99% agred with this but he is Also a public figure and there is where he is fucking up. IMO.
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #1744 on: July 08, 2011, 05:28:46 AM »
I have new Camel and King Crimson albums to explore for now.
:o ???WHAT??? :o

Awesome song.  What I like most about it is that it's a SONG - not a showcase to demonstrate how fast JP and Jordan can play licks that have nothing to do with the song.  It feels like a real, genuine SONG.  They've been missing that for a while.  The instrumental parts are great..... love the piano interlude/ solo, the little guitar melody/ solo after the verses.... overall great tune.  Very much looking forward to the album.  The only one I'm worried about is "The Shaman's Trance."  Just a goofy topic for a song..... 

Oh, and..... not to get this BS started again, BUT.... please, MP liked a comment that called Mangini's playing awful.  Stop being fanboys and just admit it.  Not everyone is perfect.  MP is a human and, quite honestly, I can empathize with him.  He's wrong.  He's being immature.  But, he's human and humans have emotions and feelings and they react to things.  There's NOTHING wrong with saying, as fans of MP, that he behaved inappropriately.  And, the argument that, "he wasn't at the Rome show, so he couldn't have commented on Mangini's playing" is kind of dumb. 

When you're hurt about something, you're going to let emotion take you over and you're going to say things without any logic or factual information.  MP could never have even known who Mike Mangini is and never heard him play one note and I think he still would have "liked" the comment.  He's upset and he's going to agree with ANYONE that criticizes DT, especially a fan who is siding with him.   
SnakeEyes, that's was a great post!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 05:42:15 AM by Sixtease »

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #1745 on: July 08, 2011, 06:44:55 AM »
Just realised how many posts Mike is actually liking
"Listening "On The Backs Of Angels "...I miss something..."
Mike Portnoy Likes this

"Hi Mike!
I miss you so much.
DT is no longer the band that I fell in love.
You are and will always be the soul of DT.
Mangini is a great drummer but you Mike! You are and will always be DT. You are the soul of this band. You Mike only you!
Please come back!!"
Mike Portnoy likes this

Shame he's not liking the posts where people are saying nice things.  He only seems to be liking the ones about DT.

Never mind.

On the Backs of Angels is a real grower, really want an official MP3 release :/  :metal

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 07:54:38 AM by jonny108 »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1746 on: July 08, 2011, 06:54:13 AM »
I just hope this doesn't damage his friendship with said new drummer.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Ferd Burple

« Reply #1747 on: July 08, 2011, 07:14:07 AM »
Great song, and Mike plays his *** off, but the EQ stinks on the kick drums and they're too loud compared to the rest of Mike's kit. In fact, the kick drums don't sound like they belong with the rest of Mike's kit. It's distracting from a great song. Having said that, welcome again, Mike!!!
"Some people say a song without words isn't a song. Tell that to Bach & he woulda kicked your ass." -EVH

"I'm so sick of people saying we have 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we have 12 albums that sound exactly the same." -Angus Young

Offline Öxölklöfför

• Pull my finger, I'm not afraid.
« Reply #1748 on: July 08, 2011, 07:47:50 AM »
I have new Camel and King Crimson albums to explore for now.
:o ???WHAT??? :o

Awesome song.  What I like most about it is that it's a SONG - not a showcase to demonstrate how fast JP and Jordan can play licks that have nothing to do with the song.  It feels like a real, genuine SONG.  They've been missing that for a while.  The instrumental parts are great..... love the piano interlude/ solo, the little guitar melody/ solo after the verses.... overall great tune.  Very much looking forward to the album.  The only one I'm worried about is "The Shaman's Trance."  Just a goofy topic for a song..... 

Oh, and..... not to get this BS started again, BUT.... please, MP liked a comment that called Mangini's playing awful.  Stop being fanboys and just admit it.  Not everyone is perfect.  MP is a human and, quite honestly, I can empathize with him.  He's wrong.  He's being immature.  But, he's human and humans have emotions and feelings and they react to things.  There's NOTHING wrong with saying, as fans of MP, that he behaved inappropriately.  And, the argument that, "he wasn't at the Rome show, so he couldn't have commented on Mangini's playing" is kind of dumb. 

When you're hurt about something, you're going to let emotion take you over and you're going to say things without any logic or factual information.  MP could never have even known who Mike Mangini is and never heard him play one note and I think he still would have "liked" the comment.  He's upset and he's going to agree with ANYONE that criticizes DT, especially a fan who is siding with him.   
SnakeEyes, that's was a great post!

Agreed. The only thing that's bothering me is that he does it "in the shadows" (by liking FB posts rather than speaking about it himself).

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #1749 on: July 08, 2011, 08:19:35 AM »
Agreed. The only thing that's bothering me is that he does it "in the shadows" (by liking FB posts rather than speaking about it himself).
I love your username. <3