Author Topic: Grammy?  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Knguro

Grammy?
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:11:18 AM »
Since DT was nominated for a Grammy last time, I've been thinking about this since then, how will this affect their next production (s)? I mean, ADToE was a major success for the band, don't you guys think this might have some influence now? I think JP said once, that a Grammy was something that they were looking for, for quite some time.

I really don't hope so, this genre has to be pure and abstract as it is, leaving aside any possible influence from mainstream music business. I rather have an icon band recognized because of their legacy than for a Grammy. Of course this is my humble opinion. Any thoughts?

PS. Sorry for my lousy English.
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: Grammy?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 12:13:25 AM »
I really doubt it'll affect anything. I mean, JP really doesn't seem like the kind of person to say, "Well, OTBOA was nominated for a Grammy, so we should write our songs like this, so that there's more of a chance of getting a Grammy."
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 12:15:36 AM »
I would say it won't affect them at all.
They were happy to get the nomination because they got recognition on their own terms. They're about pleasing their fanbase more than going for mainstream appeal. They've got their guaranteed audience and sales right there, and whatever they write is likely to crack the Billboard top 20 just as it has the last few times.
They've always written their share of more straightforward singles, and I expect that will continue, but I don't think the Grammy nomination will change anything.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 12:26:21 AM »
I would say it won't affect them at all.
They were happy to get the nomination because they got recognition on their own terms. They're about pleasing their fanbase more than going for mainstream appeal. They've got their guaranteed audience and sales right there, and whatever they write is likely to crack the Billboard top 20 just as it has the last few times.
They've always written their share of more straightforward singles, and I expect that will continue, but I don't think the Grammy nomination will change anything.

Haha thanks! Is kind of hard when it is not your mother language... Anyways, yes, I really hope they will continue that way... Sometimes I feel that for some bands a "what if" is always an option for this type of scenarios.
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...

Offline farizfariz

• TONE !
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 02:30:42 AM »
I don't think that Grammy nomination will affect them in terms of creativity, since we know that DT is kinda like Deep Purple, which doesn't really care about awards and both are quite straight-forward type band. I also don't think they should nominated at Grammy (even though it is a privilege especially for fans), they deserve more than that. But i have a insight, that their music is now more recognized, not only at their fan base but also at mainstream music fans.  Let's hope that their next record will be awesome  :metal

Although it's quite funny to see them wearing formal suits, they more like a mafia rather than musician, especially JM  :lol
"The studio that we're recording was, Bear Tracks, Right ?"

Online ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 06:53:25 AM »
If they were that kind of band there would be a lot of songs that sound like Pull Me Under.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 07:30:50 AM »
If they were that kind of band there would be a lot of songs that sound like Pull Me Under.

Honestly, I disagree. Pull Me Under got popular due to its release timing. If Pull Me Under were to be originally released on the next record, I don't even see it getting a Grammy nomination. On the other hand, On the Backs of Angels did, so I can't speak for sure.

Before the nomination, if Dream Theater were to be a "Grammy" band, I would've expected lots of songs like Wither, Hollow Years, etc., but maybe a little more upbeat.
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)