Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 345204 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: On the Backs of Angels to be released on June 29th!
« Reply #1050 on: June 30, 2011, 09:46:22 AM »
Please keep the Dutch to a minimum.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #1051 on: June 30, 2011, 09:48:14 AM »
There's an interesting comment on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oasnbzEMV08

Did anyone notice that the whole arrangement is completly identical to "Pull me under"?

• Intro: First acoustic guitar intro, drums start with tom breaks followed by keyboard melody, then the whole band comes in
  • Pre verse: guitar riff, stakkato keyboards, stakkato drumbreak
  • 1. verse + bridge + short instrumental
  • 2. verse + uptempo bridge + short melodic break leading into first chorus
  • 1. chorus
  • Riff with stakkato keys again

I caught this too, even more specifically than mentioned by this guy.  Listen to the breakdown section after the solos, Pull Me Under uses the same "breakdown" motif in the same part of its song.

Yes, DT used the same exact song structure in both, which is fine.

I expect Build Me Up, Break Me Down to be a short, tight and heavy song similar to Caught in a Web.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #1052 on: June 30, 2011, 09:57:14 AM »
But it's a learning experience for everyone!

Aw.

Offline pianoman

« Reply #1053 on: June 30, 2011, 10:06:35 AM »
 This one's incredible folks! I listened to it yesterday at 11 on my phone while I was in line to ride the Diamondback roller coaster at Kings Island.

After having a day to digest it, I think musically it's one of the best things JR has ever done with the band. You could tell it was very Jordan-lead. Kinda felt like LTE meets Rhythm of Time in parts. The piano solo was incredible, and I expect to hear more piano on the album. The Korg Kronos has some amazing grands on it, and I know that Jordan uses Synthology's Ivory software. I think we are in store for Jordan's best album with DT.

JLB disappointed me at first. I wanted to hear soaring vocals, crazy highs, very memorable lines. But now after many listens, I understand how fitting his vocals are to this song. The last few albums, DT have made some really great choruses such as ANTR, AROP, Wither, Forsaken, etc... and this one is just as good. This album will have a much more controlled JLB, and not a JLtryingtobehetfieldB.

JMX had some incredibe lines in the song, was audible, and even had a mini solo!!! This really does remind me of IAW era JMX. I can't wait to see how much he influenced this album!!!

JP rocked this thing from the beginning! The intro was very interesting, and his solo was tasteful!!  I'm in a post-hardcore band, and something I've been turned on to the last year or so is breakdowns. Near the end, it almost feels like a breakdown, which was really cool! I was simply impressed with his performance.

Mike blew me away. I knew he was going to come in and not miss a beat with the band, but it was the little things that made the difference. For example, the wind chimes during the JR solo, the incredible ride part around 3:00, and the beginning!!!! I just love everything he brings to the band!

Overall, this is an excellent song. If this song is any indication of what the album will be like, then we are in store for one of their greatest of all time. Each member seems simply inspired, and fresh! I was excited for the album before the single, but now I'm freakin j'in my p's!! I can't wait to hear the rest of it!!!

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1054 on: June 30, 2011, 10:14:50 AM »
To those who say the song is not memorable ... I agree.  And that makes me keep going back to listen to it. I enjoy every second of listening to it, so I don't see a problem here.

But that is progressive music.  It usually doesn't hook you on first listen, because the elements aren't simplified enough to stick in your memory.  Once you start to become familiar with the road map, you start to really appreciate the different elements and that is the way it should be.

And Petrucci's tone... It's the best it has been since SDOIT.
You see, I was going to respond and agree with renarucci's post until I read yours (Although I still agree on everything he said from 'no memorable parts' to the end of his post). I only played this song again because, honestly, I couldn't remember a single melody, but I remembered it was a fun song. Again, I just finished it, can't remember anything about it, but I liked it, enjoyed it and it didn't feel like 8 minutes.

Prog music is really weird.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #1055 on: June 30, 2011, 10:29:53 AM »
that opening acoustic guitar riff... I don't think we have heard the last of that. I think it will make a ballsy re-appearance in the last track.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1056 on: June 30, 2011, 10:44:54 AM »
it definitely is the fastest 8:46. doesnt drag at all to me. love it after a day and 10+ listens. trying to not listen to it all the time now

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1057 on: June 30, 2011, 10:46:29 AM »
it definitely is the fastest 8:46. doesnt drag at all to me. love it after a day and 10+ listens. trying to not listen to it all the time now

as opposed to AROP or Panic Attack

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1058 on: June 30, 2011, 10:48:03 AM »

i love panic attack, and like the single edit of AROP much better. even though it cuts petrucci's solo

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1059 on: June 30, 2011, 10:48:39 AM »

Thank you.

Now, I think I'll just ask again  :lol where did you guys get the statistics of most viewed videos and such?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1060 on: June 30, 2011, 10:49:41 AM »
300,000 views in 24 hours is fairly impressive. Props for DT.

EDIT: Double post shit  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1061 on: June 30, 2011, 11:02:15 AM »
Its not catchy or memorable but it is a well structured song and everything fits in with what the song is. JLB isn't over the top and gives what the song needs. The part I like and can't get out of my head is "We spiral toward disaster, survival fading faster"

I do agree it has the same structure as Pull Me Under, but its a good thing.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline selkies01

« Reply #1062 on: June 30, 2011, 11:09:50 AM »

Didn't see this mentioned anywhere.

I noticed that the sound quality never jumped up from 360p to 720p. I tried changing it during the song many times and listening very closely but could not hear the increase in quality. Anyone else notice this?

Btw the song was pretty good.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1063 on: June 30, 2011, 11:11:47 AM »

i love panic attack, and like the single edit of AROP much better. even though it cuts petrucci's solo

I love Panic Attack too, (and all of 8V for that matter), but you have to admit, it does 'feel' like an 8 minute song. Same with AROP (I never bothered with the 'radio edit'.

Wasn't criticizing those songs, just comparing similar length songs.

Offline John94

« Reply #1064 on: June 30, 2011, 11:21:14 AM »
A few months back, James tweeted that the first track oozes with emotion. Is it safe to still assume that this is the same track?

I don't feel it oozing with emotion, if so, but I definitely feel it oozing with "melodicness" especially the intro.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1065 on: June 30, 2011, 11:24:45 AM »
Very nice song. Best single in a long time. Better than AROP (I'm starting to feel DT is teasing me with that F#-G-F#-thing through most of the song), CM, Forsaken and Wither. It is more progressive and strong than other singles they have.

And I think the "out-of-scale" notes in the intro sounds very much like Opeth. In a good way.

A few months back, James tweeted that the first track oozes with emotion. Is it safe to still assume that this is the same track?

I don't feel it oozing with emotion, if so, but I definitely feel it oozing with "melodicness" especially the intro.
They don't record in the same order as they are listen on the final album.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1066 on: June 30, 2011, 11:27:33 AM »
Wither
Forsaken
Constant Motion
On The Backs Of Angels
A Rite Of Passage
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1067 on: June 30, 2011, 11:34:59 AM »
God DAMN, Labrie sounds so good on this song. I love the way he pronounces "slaughter" in the chorus.

Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1068 on: June 30, 2011, 11:35:45 AM »
Constant Motion
On the Backs of Angels
Wither
Forsaken
A Rite of Passage

That's my ranking. I do love Constant Motion an unhealthy amount though.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1069 on: June 30, 2011, 11:35:59 AM »
Its not catchy or memorable but it is a well structured song and everything fits in with what the song is. JLB isn't over the top and gives what the song needs. The part I like and can't get out of my head is "We spiral toward disaster, survival fading faster"

I do agree it has the same structure as Pull Me Under, but its a good thing.

Right, this song doesn't blow my mind or make me headbang like a madman, but it's a SOLID song.  And I'm satisfied with that.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1070 on: June 30, 2011, 11:45:48 AM »
To those who say the song is not memorable ... I agree.  And that makes me keep going back to listen to it. I enjoy every second of listening to it, so I don't see a problem here.

But that is progressive music.  It usually doesn't hook you on first listen, because the elements aren't simplified enough to stick in your memory.  Once you start to become familiar with the road map, you start to really appreciate the different elements and that is the way it should be.

You see, I was going to respond and agree with renarucci's post until I read yours (Although I still agree on everything he said from 'no memorable parts' to the end of his post). I only played this song again because, honestly, I couldn't remember a single melody, but I remembered it was a fun song. Again, I just finished it, can't remember anything about it, but I liked it, enjoyed it and it didn't feel like 8 minutes.

I think of it when I listened to The Yes Album for the first time. I really liked it but I couldn't remember much of it other than "I've Seen All Good People" (remembering it from the radio) and the last part of "Starship Trooper". unklejman has it right: it keeps bringing you back because of the feeling, not any hooks. It almost forces you to listen closer.

Offline mocool13

« Reply #1071 on: June 30, 2011, 12:00:10 PM »
Took me a while to warm up to the vocals and the melodies; I was expecting JLB to sing higher notes. But he fits very well into the song. BTW, I like the way he pronounces "towards" in the song.

I love having JM actually audible and present. Made me happy

JP had an awesome intro, pretty good solo. It took a while to warm up to the riffs

Mangini was nice, but I wish I could hear him better in the mix. Hopefully that'll change when the record comes out and will likely have better quality. He's definitely different than MP, but just as good, if not better. I'm also happy he didn't try to outshine and do too much or more than the song needed.

JR is definitely my favorite contributer to the song. The intro, the riffs (or whatever it's called), the interlude.

Overalll I'm very pleased; looking forward to seeing them live

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1072 on: June 30, 2011, 12:04:20 PM »
I don't feel like OTBOA is 8 minutes long. Very interesting song, great single ;)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Psy

« Reply #1073 on: June 30, 2011, 12:07:25 PM »
I'm also one that is finding it difficult to remember anything about this song but every now and again certain parts will just randomnly appear and get stuck in my mind for ages. D:

I think that probably my favourite thing about this song is how it's length is perfect. Even after a few listens I'm surprised that it's just under 9 minutes long. It feels like it's so much shorter then that.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1074 on: June 30, 2011, 12:12:59 PM »

I think of it when I listened to The Yes Album for the first time. I really liked it but I couldn't remember much of it other than "I've Seen All Good People" (remembering it from the radio) and the last part of "Starship Trooper". unklejman has it right: it keeps bringing you back because of the feeling, not any hooks. It almost forces you to listen closer.

That's honestly a great comparison, especially since The Yes Album is my favorite Yes album.  Props for that.  I kinda felt that there were unmemorable parts yesterday, but at work today I found myself humming a few of the melodies.  :D

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1075 on: June 30, 2011, 12:23:52 PM »
"When All is Lost" by Symphony X has that same feeling, as in, it's 9 minutes long, but it doesn't really feel that long listening to it. I feel the same about OTBOA, it's just such a grand listen.

Offline EpicCookie

• Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back!
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #1076 on: June 30, 2011, 12:32:42 PM »
"When All is Lost" by Symphony X has that same feeling, as in, it's 9 minutes long, but it doesn't really feel that long listening to it. I feel the same about OTBOA, it's just such a grand listen.
This.
made by c00kiE [aiw]

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1077 on: June 30, 2011, 12:55:48 PM »
I can hear may or may not (probably and most certainly this) be musical connections to both A Rite of Passage and the 12-Step Suite.

After the last chorus there is a riff (surprise) and the last three notes sound surprisingly alot like some simular parts in AROP.

In the "We spiral towards disaster" verses, the bass notes are E - C# - C - A. These are the same as the "Now that you can see all you have done, it's time to take that step...". Although in OTBOA it changes every four beat, and in say The Shattered Fortress it is every six beat.

Wanna remark on my lousy english grammer? I suggest you study the text under my profile picture.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1078 on: June 30, 2011, 12:58:35 PM »
Regarding AROP similarities: I really don't hear it musically. And I know what part y'all are talking about.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1079 on: June 30, 2011, 12:58:46 PM »
Wanna remark on my lousy english grammer? I suggest you study the text under my profile picture.

There's no reason to invite people to argue with you.  Had you not brought up your grammar, probably nobody else would either.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1080 on: June 30, 2011, 01:02:13 PM »
There's no reason to invite people to argue with you.  Had you not brought up your grammar, probably nobody else would either.
That was more a joke where I made fun of myself, but fine.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1081 on: June 30, 2011, 01:02:38 PM »
I like the idea of ranking singles although it seems strange to only rank the RR-era ones, so I'm going to rank the full lot:

1. Wither
2. Lie
3. Take the Time
4. Home
5. On the Backs of Angels
6. Hollow Years
7. Another Day
8. The Silent Man
9. Forsaken
10. These Walls
11. Afterlife
12. Panic Attack
13. Constant Motion
14. Pull Me Under
15. As I Am
16. A Rite of Passage
17. Caught in a Web
18. You Not Me
19. Through Her Eyes
20. Burning My Soul
21. Status Seeker

On the whole, the new song fares very well! :hat

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline EpicCookie

• Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back!
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #1082 on: June 30, 2011, 01:03:06 PM »

lol true
made by c00kiE [aiw]

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1083 on: June 30, 2011, 01:11:26 PM »
This.
My favourite from Iconoclast :metal
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1084 on: June 30, 2011, 01:24:21 PM »
Well I was talking with my friend and he said that OTBOA is a crap...he said that DT is no longer DT, that They have no future and that kinda things... We wera arguing, because I think that The Band is about to brought us again something fresh and new (all album I mean) and OTBOA is really good track!!!!