Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 345090 times)

Offline TheMadgician

Re: On the Backs of Angels to be released on June 29th!
« Reply #805 on: June 29, 2011, 05:08:11 PM »
I love that in about 8 hours, the new DT song has gotten roughly a third of the views of the new Korn/Skrillex song.

Well have over taken them by this time tomorrow, I'm sure. Feels good.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #806 on: June 29, 2011, 05:09:56 PM »
I'm looking forward to a proper high quality version, maybe in the form of a single release through iTunes/amazon/whatever.

Too bad iTunes/Amazon don't offer high quality. 256 kbps variable bit rate is only ok at best, but it would be better than nothing. A flac download would be ideal. Maybe they will pull a Steven Wilson and start offering flac or 320 kbps mp3 on their website, hint...hint any member of DT or Roadrunner who might be reading this.  ;)
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #807 on: June 29, 2011, 05:12:53 PM »
I love that in about 8 hours, the new DT song has gotten roughly a third of the views of the new Korn/Skrillex song.

Departure of members does wonders to the public relations of the following album.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #808 on: June 29, 2011, 05:15:24 PM »
Just went back and read the thread right around the time the song was released, and you guys reaffirmed every single reason why I love DTF. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Wish I could have been there for the moment.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #809 on: June 29, 2011, 05:16:46 PM »
Just went back and read the thread right around the time the song was released, and you guys reaffirmed every single reason why I love DTF. :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

You eyes must be killing you. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #810 on: June 29, 2011, 05:17:23 PM »

Departure of members does wonders to the public relations of the following album.

True, but Korn tend to be pretty big and mainstream. And Skrillex (along with other generic dubstep artists) are the hot new thing right now. And yet, a band that hardly gets radio play and a large amount of the general public haven't heard of are beating them.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #811 on: June 29, 2011, 05:18:29 PM »
Since this morning, the like to dislike ratio has been about 95-98% in favor of "like."  I'd say the song is being well-received.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #812 on: June 29, 2011, 05:21:02 PM »
Since this morning, the like to dislike ratio has been about 95-98% in favor of "like."  I'd say the song is being well-received.
Na, I just opened fake accounts and liked it a buttload of times. :P

You eyes must be killing you. :lol
It's a good kind of pain, though. :hat

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #813 on: June 29, 2011, 05:21:20 PM »

True, but Korn tend to be pretty big and mainstream. And Skrillex (along with other generic dubstep artists) are the hot new thing right now. And yet, a band that hardly gets radio play and a large amount of the general public haven't heard of are beating them.
Oh well. I'm just happy with that fact :)

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #814 on: June 29, 2011, 05:25:09 PM »
Oh indeed! I'm glad it's the case. It makes me happy, I'm proud of it.

It's just a bit surprising is all.

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #815 on: June 29, 2011, 05:26:59 PM »
Ok so I've given this song a few more listens maybe thinking that I'm being to hard on it but I still don't get what all the hoopla is about. People saying that it sounds like Awake, but to me it sounds like a rejected BC&SL song. And all this talk about Myung finally being heard is just plain stupid. Myung is plenty heard in current and past DT albums. He's heard in the beginning of this song and the middle breakdown. Once JP starts riffin Myung becomes low in the mix again as usual. I doubt evil Mike Portnoy had anything to do with Myung being low in the mix. If anything blame JP since he was the one who was mostly in charge of how the album sounded.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #816 on: June 29, 2011, 05:27:50 PM »

People are making their own Dubstep beats at home. I still don't even know what the genre is, and I'd really like this next fad to pass me by.

It's sad that you can write 7-second beats, have them loop over 2-3 minutes, and then rap/sing BS lyrics over them to make millions and billions of dollars, when you have artists like DT, busting their asses to write music that is deep, has meaning, is meant to be musical and made from a passion of music rather than writing catchy choruses to make money, and yet they are not known by the general public.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #817 on: June 29, 2011, 05:28:59 PM »
Ok so I've given this song a few more listens maybe thinking that I'm being to hard on it but I still don't get what all the hoopla is about. People saying that it sounds like Awake, but to me it sounds like a rejected BC&SL song. And all this talk about Myung finally being heard is just plain stupid. Myung is plenty heard in current and past DT albums. He's heard in the beginning of this song and the middle breakdown. Once JP starts riffin Myung becomes low in the mix again as usual. I doubt evil Mike Portnoy had anything to do with Myung being low in the mix. If anything blame JP since he was the one who was mostly in charge of how the album sounded.

it sounds NOTHING like Black Clouds (which I like a lot)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #818 on: June 29, 2011, 05:29:29 PM »
Also, I agree with Reapsta about MM's cymbal work, it's just great!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #819 on: June 29, 2011, 05:33:03 PM »
The new song is pretty good. Love the mix. The cover art is horrible though! :lol

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: June 29, 2011, 05:37:50 PM »
I'd like the cover way better if the clown/man wasn't on there.

Offline Miyazaki74

« Reply #821 on: June 29, 2011, 05:42:52 PM »

it sounds NOTHING like Black Clouds (which I like a lot)

Their were some parts that reminded me of wither a bit. Anyway I said it sounded like a rejected BC&SL song not a BC&SL song.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #822 on: June 29, 2011, 05:46:39 PM »
Wow! My headphones detect an AARRRRGGHH! at 2:15/2:16 by JLB. Very cool!
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
« Reply #823 on: June 29, 2011, 05:47:26 PM »
I wonder what's going through DT's minds right now reading all the comments on the forums, FB and Youtube about the mix.
Thanks,
Dave

Offline dongringo

« Reply #824 on: June 29, 2011, 05:48:22 PM »
I wonder what's going through DT's minds right now reading all the comments on the forums, FB and Youtube about the mix.

That it's just a low quality youtube clip and people must be stupid.  :lol
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #825 on: June 29, 2011, 05:52:06 PM »
It's sad that you can write 7-second beats, have them loop over 2-3 minutes, and then rap/sing BS lyrics over them to make millions and billions of dollars, when you have artists like DT, busting their asses to write music that is deep, has meaning, is meant to be musical and made from a passion of music rather than writing catchy choruses to make money, and yet they are not known by the general public.
Apologies for being off-topic, but you didn't describe dubstep at all with that description. Making good electronic music can easily take as much time and talent as making good metal/rock music. Yes there are some artists that are just in it for the money, but that can be said of many genres. And Dream Theater, whilst not being a household name, are certainly earning a very comfortable living and are much more likely to receive public recognition such as radio play than any electronic artist.

On-topic, the new song is good! Not instantly blown away, but I've only listened to it twice and it's clear the YouTube compression is not doing it any favours. I'm not going to overplay it, but instead look forward to hearing it live and on record!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #826 on: June 29, 2011, 05:53:44 PM »
I've only listened to it twice, and I don't want to overdo it.  I don't want to get to a stage where I'm finding myself constantly listening to this song over and over.  To me it sounds so fresh, I want to try and keep it that way.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #827 on: June 29, 2011, 05:55:04 PM »
I am listening to it again and I swear the mix sounds better than it was this morning. I have compared them to other songs on youtube too.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #828 on: June 29, 2011, 05:58:25 PM »

That it's just a low quality youtube clip and people must be stupid.  :lol

https://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_to_hit_a_nail_on_the_head_mean
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #829 on: June 29, 2011, 06:01:07 PM »

That it's just a low quality youtube clip and people must be stupid.  :lol

Youtube quality does not make much of a difference. You can A/B multiple songs.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #830 on: June 29, 2011, 06:03:06 PM »
Anyone else hear Jame's AARRRGH! at 2:15? Nice touch.  :yarr
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: June 29, 2011, 06:05:55 PM »
Does anyone else besides me really want the whole fucking album NOW!!!??
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #832 on: June 29, 2011, 06:12:24 PM »
Does anyone else besides me really want the whole fucking album NOW!!!??

Right here.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline dongringo

« Reply #833 on: June 29, 2011, 06:12:49 PM »

That it's just a low quality youtube clip and people must be stupid.  :lol

Youtube quality does not make much of a difference. You can A/B multiple songs.

A better youtube version will surely come about when the single is released and re-uploaded by 100,000 crazy DT fanatics in the first hour upon release.  ;)

.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #834 on: June 29, 2011, 06:16:09 PM »
It needs more cowbell   :angel:
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #835 on: June 29, 2011, 06:18:27 PM »
Apologies for being off-topic, but you didn't describe dubstep at all with that description. Making good electronic music can easily take as much time and talent as making good metal/rock music. Yes there are some artists that are just in it for the money, but that can be said of many genres. And Dream Theater, whilst not being a household name, are certainly earning a very comfortable living and are much more likely to receive public recognition such as radio play than any electronic artist.
As I said, I've never heard Dubstep before. I was describing other kinds of music that have/are making money.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #836 on: June 29, 2011, 06:18:36 PM »
1. Petrucci is fantastic here. Intro is beautiful, chugging is good where it's at.

2. Bass is more present than the last 2 albums. Also, it sounds more...emotive. I feel like JMX is speaking with it.

3. JR is the MVP here. Every patch used is used perfectly in each part. Choirs, pianos, whatever.

4. JLB sounds "right." I'm not expecting JLB to be all over high screams anymore. No more tough guy metal like ANTR or CM or TDEN. This style suits him well. Nothing immediately memorable, but it will grow on you. Watch.

5. Love the verses and the way they are sung, with a bit of pause. Very nice!

6. Proggy with metal and well done at that! Felt so natural.

7. Lyrics are better than almost anything on the last 2 albums. Exceptions or contenders: Wither.

8. Drums are there, serving their purpose. I never expected some blowout performance from Mangini. Yes, some fantastic drumming, but nothing like "WOW BEST EVAR." He fits in, and it's actually nice to not have predictable drum fills every song. Drums are a bit low in the mix, I agree on that.

9. Piano part sounds like SFAM to me. I loved it, and the solo.

10. This is DT how I would want them to sound in their modern form. This song exceeded my high expectations.

Overall, what hits me is that this song is not over the top, trying to make you think it's the best song ever. It's not, but it is the song that I think will set the new DT ship on high ground for all of us watching. It has the right elements, and I feel like DT have finally matured from where 8VM (or SDOIT, depending) left off.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #837 on: June 29, 2011, 06:19:02 PM »
I don't know if this has happened with any one else, but like everyone else I thought the mix was a bit odd as I listened to the song countless times today at work on my iPod ear bud headphones. I just listened to it again on my home PC speakers (shich aren't the best but alright) and the mix sounds 10X better. I guess it was just a matter of the quality of the listening device? Either way it doesn't really matter to me becasue I love the song and couldn't be more excited about the album
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #838 on: June 29, 2011, 06:21:30 PM »
8. Drums are there, serving their purpose. I never expected some blowout performance from Mangini. Yes, some fantastic drumming, but nothing like "WOW BEST EVAR." He fits in, and it's actually nice to not have predictable drum fills every song. Drums are a bit low in the mix, I agree on that.

First couple of listens, that was my impression.  Then I listened again with a focus on the drums.  My mind is now blown.

Offline DejaVu

• "Don't be frightened of the shadows it creates"
« Reply #839 on: June 29, 2011, 06:23:17 PM »
Kind of reminds me of FII/ACOS mixed with I&W and opening up an album in a similar way to As I Am opened up TOT. I'm really looking forward to this album now, it will be oozing with Dream vintage!