Author Topic: Steven Wilson  (Read 318883 times)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
Re: Steven Wilson
« Reply #2730 on: October 16, 2013, 12:58:59 AM »
Yeah wat wat wat!?

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2731 on: October 16, 2013, 02:30:55 AM »
Steven is playing a new song on this tour, much like when he brought out Luminol on the Grace For Drowning-tour. I can't wait to hear it.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #2732 on: October 17, 2013, 01:05:18 PM »
He refused to tell us the name of it, referring to it only by "Part Five Of Something" and also by "Lick My Love Pump"
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2733 on: October 17, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »
Steven Wilson's new song is epic as balls. It's also part of a much longer piece (and it's 15 minutes in itself).

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2734 on: October 17, 2013, 04:37:07 PM »
"Lick My Love Pump"

That's what I'm talkin bout :eyebrows:
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #2735 on: October 17, 2013, 05:42:48 PM »
Just seen both those vids for the first time - absolutely wonderful! :'(

me, too.  oh my goodness, yes...   :'(
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2736 on: October 18, 2013, 12:56:35 AM »
Steven Wilson's new song is epic as balls. It's also part of a much longer piece (and it's 15 minutes in itself).
On paper that sounds like an over-the-top and perhaps kind of pretentious idea, but I think (or at least hope) Steven knows how to execute it well :D

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2737 on: October 18, 2013, 08:55:20 PM »
Well that's essentially what "Time Flies" is, eh? I mean, maybe not "epic as balls" (what does that even mean?) but a long and awesome part of a larger piece.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #2738 on: October 19, 2013, 02:32:52 AM »
It means it was good, prefixed by so many instances of the word "really" that the sentence becomes unsustainable.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2739 on: October 20, 2013, 06:10:49 PM »
:lol

In other news, I can't hear that word anymore without thinking of Muse and bobbing my head.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2740 on: October 21, 2013, 10:52:42 AM »
Just came by to say that "Deform to form a star" is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. I'm addicted to the joy it makes me feel.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2741 on: October 21, 2013, 04:13:58 PM »
Just came by to say that "Deform to form a star" is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. I'm addicted to the joy it makes me feel.

Amen Nekov, Amen.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2742 on: October 21, 2013, 07:43:15 PM »
Yes, very true. It's brilliant.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2743 on: October 21, 2013, 07:48:42 PM »
wait so is there only one new song or are there three? because some setlists have one called "Wreckage," some have one called "Soundtrack to Decline," and some have "Break IT (and you buy it)."  :huh:  ???

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2744 on: October 21, 2013, 11:52:03 PM »
Maybe he's gonna premiere every song from the upcoming album on this tour :dangerwillrobinson:

Offline Captain Reddot

« Reply #2745 on: October 22, 2013, 02:43:22 AM »
When I saw him at the Royal Albert Hall in London, he said, ''Tonight, it's called Wreckage. Tonight, that is.'', so I'm assuming he's changing the name of the song each night. He also specifically told people not to record the new music, so there probably wont be any live recordings of it on youtube.
“I think it's really tragic when people get serious about stuff. It's such an absurdity to take anything really seriously ... I make an honest attempt not to take anything seriously: I worked that attitude out about the time I was eighteen, I mean, what does it all mean when you get right down to it, what's the story here? Being alive is so weird.”
― Frank Zappa

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2746 on: October 22, 2013, 07:16:17 AM »
Is he really opening the show with Trains? Nice!
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2747 on: October 22, 2013, 07:52:56 AM »
It seems a bit weird to me that he's playing two PT-songs. I always figured that if he was truly tempted to revisit PT, he would reform the band and they would make an album/tour. If bringing out PT-songs on his solo-tour becomes a permanent thing, he has even less of a reason to reform PT, unless he really really really wants to make another album.

Considering where he is now in his career and the music he is making and with solo album 4 on the way, it doesn't look like he's getting tired of making classic prog rock.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2748 on: October 22, 2013, 08:34:53 AM »
I feel like classic prog rock has always been a big part of Steven Wilson's sound - both in PT and in his solo project. He may have traded Pink Floyd in for King Crimson and Genesis recently, but I still think even TRTRTS is pretty balanced - a good blend of prog, experimental, metal, shoegaze, and art rock.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2749 on: October 22, 2013, 10:17:02 AM »
I think Insurgentes has some Shoegaze-y parts, but I don't hear that in Raven. With that said, my post was more about how he has found his "sound" with the solo-stuff now, and putting out album after album.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #2750 on: October 22, 2013, 01:09:05 PM »
Yeah, it's the same song (although the RAH one I swear had a flute part which wasn't there at Bristol).

As far as his comments were, I don't think he's interested in revisiting it so much as Radioactive Toy is one he considers to be one of his solo songs (he mentioned that to him OSOL was his "first solo record" and I think Trains is probably there, partly because it's as close to a signature song as he's got, and it's one which can have a pretty good solo accoustic rendition (which fits in with the video having the "busker" playing the same song opposite the tourist information centre.

For anyone interested, the intro video is shot in Hertford.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2751 on: October 22, 2013, 03:32:13 PM »
I just think the placement of Trains in the set looks weird. It would make more sense to me if it was an encore-song like Radioactive Toy, not the song that opens the set.

Still, really excited to see him in November.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #2752 on: October 23, 2013, 05:55:57 AM »
He's playing tonight in a venue not even one kilometer from where I am now. Unfortunately I have a gig myself tonight, so I won't be able to make it. To comfort myself, I have just bought the Drive Home Bluray/CD thing.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2753 on: October 23, 2013, 10:14:22 AM »
He's playing tonight in a venue not even one kilometer from where I am now. Unfortunately I have a gig myself tonight, so I won't be able to make it. To comfort myself, I have just bought the Drive Home Bluray/CD thing.
I can't make it either :(

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2754 on: October 23, 2013, 10:32:03 AM »
Steven will come to Helsinki in November, but it's a Tuesday gig and I can't travel then :-\

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2755 on: October 23, 2013, 10:48:54 AM »
I just think the placement of Trains in the set looks weird. It would make more sense to me if it was an encore-song like Radioactive Toy, not the song that opens the set.

Still, really excited to see him in November.

I agree. Plus being a PT song it should feel like some sort of extra content right? You don't put the appendices at the first chapter :D
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2756 on: October 27, 2013, 04:40:11 PM »
It was not the full Trains. Great gig tonight - as usual! And yeah, the new song seems to get a new title every night. It sounded good.
I really like how relaxed Steven got on stage (first saw him in 2003). Might be the Akerfeld influence.  ;)
Oh, and he talked a bit about the passing of Lou Reed and his influence on him.
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2757 on: October 29, 2013, 02:15:39 PM »
I've been on such a Steven Wilson binge recently  :heart

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2758 on: October 29, 2013, 02:36:45 PM »
I ordered the Drive Home bluray for the live tracks.  Getting a high def version of TRTRTS makes me happy.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #2759 on: October 31, 2013, 05:43:44 PM »
Guys, TRTRTS is my first SW experience and I LOVE it. Please tell me there's another PT or SW album that sounds like it. None of the PT songs I've heard (I haven't heard many) sound remotely similar to this amazing album, and I'm PRAYING that TRTRTS isn't an aberration. I've been listening to this album nonstop for a month, I can't get enough.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2760 on: October 31, 2013, 05:49:25 PM »
The closest one (sound-wise) would be Grace For Drowning. Personally I think it's his best album, so I would recommend it.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2761 on: October 31, 2013, 06:00:22 PM »
Agreed. I'd try out Deadwing as well, it doesn't exactly 'sound' like GFD or Raven, but it's got that same, dreary, dreamy, melancholic feel to it. The same 'vibe' i guess...I dunno, it's a recommendation if you liked those..

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2762 on: October 31, 2013, 06:22:22 PM »
If he's leaning more towards 70's prog rock, I think Signify or The Sky Moves Sideways would be better recommendations if we're talking Porcupine Tree. Those albums are more Pink Floyd-sounding than King Crimson/Yes/Jethro Tull (like on the solo albums), but might be worth checking out. I would still go for Grace For Drowning first.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2763 on: October 31, 2013, 08:58:31 PM »
Heartattack In A Layby
The Start of Something Beautiful
Synesthesia

Those are the only ones I can think of at the moment that have the Raven vibe
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2764 on: November 07, 2013, 12:20:19 PM »
Happily, Best Buy had the Drive Home EP, so I managed to pick that and the DT Luna Park Blu-ray up in the same trip! #winning