Author Topic: Steven Wilson  (Read 319823 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Steven Wilson
« Reply #2940 on: February 22, 2014, 07:44:35 PM »
I read somewhere that SW has contributed to about 40 albums in 20 years.

Whilst some bands struggle with one every decade.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #2941 on: February 23, 2014, 04:39:38 AM »
I read somewhere that SW has contributed to about 40 albums in 20 years.

Whilst some bands struggle with one every decade.

If you've seen the complete discography of Steven Wilson, it's more than 40...probably hundreds by now.
https://www.voyage-pt.de/swdisco.pdf

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2942 on: February 24, 2014, 08:44:08 AM »
Just skimming through that ridiculously long document, a lot of those are not albums. In the article just recently posted SW is quoted saying 30-40 albums, so I'm gonna go with that.

Anyway, after skimming the last few pages of this thread, just a few comments-

I am psyched for a new album!

I don't think SW's solo stuff sounds anything like earlier PT. On top of that, he's not putting this stuff under the PT name because... well, it's a different band.

I am tired of people constantly bitching about wanting PT back. I miss them too, but would gladly take any of SW's solo stuff over The Incident. This is where his heart is, clearly.

Carry on.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2943 on: February 24, 2014, 10:19:08 AM »
Just skimming through that ridiculously long document, a lot of those are not albums. In the article just recently posted SW is quoted saying 30-40 albums, so I'm gonna go with that.

Anyway, after skimming the last few pages of this thread, just a few comments-

I am psyched for a new album!

I don't think SW's solo stuff sounds anything like earlier PT. On top of that, he's not putting this stuff under the PT name because... well, it's a different band.

I am tired of people constantly bitching about wanting PT back. I miss them too, but would gladly take any of SW's solo stuff over The Incident. This is where his heart is, clearly.

Carry on.

I agree with you and I think his last 2 solo albuns are really amazing, in the same level of PT 2000's albuns, with a wider range of styles. The only thing that I really miss from PT is Gavin Harrison. If SW works with Gavin in his solo career, I guess I wouldn't miss PT at all.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2944 on: February 24, 2014, 10:19:52 AM »
Marco's fantastic, though.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2945 on: February 24, 2014, 11:32:03 AM »
Marco > Gavin imo

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2946 on: February 24, 2014, 12:37:55 PM »
Both tend to get too extra fill-happy live, which sometimes borders on overplaying, but both are still pretty awesome on the skins. :hat

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2947 on: February 24, 2014, 08:16:45 PM »
Both tend to get too extra fill-happy live, which sometimes borders on overplaying, but both are still pretty awesome on the skins. :hat

I don't think Gavin overplays as much as Marco. Gavins fills always seemed to fit better. Gavin's extra fills is why I listen to live versions over album versions.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2948 on: February 24, 2014, 08:19:50 PM »
^ That. Definitely. I mean it happens every now and then but Marco seems to go a bit buck wild more often than not. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing since it's still massively entertaining.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2949 on: February 24, 2014, 11:12:07 PM »
Yeah, Marco puts on a great show and I adore him.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2950 on: February 25, 2014, 01:46:31 AM »

I am tired of people constantly bitching about wanting PT back...This is where his heart is, clearly.

Slightly modified it, but I agree with this part.

I'm glad I became a fan of SW's other projects before PT called a hiatus. It really softened the blow of that announcement. People saying "Oh, PT will be back after SW4". PT will be back when everyone in the band wants it back. This is what I like about Steven Wilson. He treads his own musical path, not just going along with what the fans want.

Anyway, changing the subject, today is the 1st anniversary of the release of The Raven That Refused to Sing!

A year on, what's your favourite song now, compared to what it was on your first few hearings?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2951 on: February 25, 2014, 04:40:34 AM »
The title track still remains my favorite. Regarding the whole PT or not vs his solo career, I would actually be fine even if he continued doing solo stuff. My only hope is that he disbands his current band after the next album and moves on to do something different.

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
« Reply #2952 on: February 25, 2014, 05:18:18 AM »
I love PT... FOABP is the best album ever made IMO. But I'm not getting my hopes up about them getting back together. Steven is creating great fresh stuff with his solo project, can't wait what comes out next.
I still miss PT, but maybe the hiatus is what they needed. If you ask me, The Incident isn't a very good album. The Raven is amazing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2953 on: February 25, 2014, 06:13:00 AM »
I really, really like the direction Steven is going in. The title track of the most recent album is one of his best songs ever, and it's hard to argue with "The Drive Home" and "The Watchmaker" is really great songs, too.

However, I could do with less flute moving forward. I don't agree completely with people who say he's just lifting 70s prog these days, but the flute really does push 70s vibe over the edge.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2954 on: February 25, 2014, 06:18:02 AM »
The flute is actually one of the things I liked. The flute "solo" during the calm part of Raider II and the flute "solo" during Luminol are actually two of my favorite parts about those songs.

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #2955 on: February 25, 2014, 08:34:24 AM »
I agree I like the direction SW is going...keeping it fresh.  Raven is my favorite of his solo efforts.  And can I just say the Drive Home guitar solo (especially the texture..sounds like a sax when it starts IMO) is just perfect!
- Ronzoni -

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2956 on: February 25, 2014, 11:23:20 AM »
I agree I like the direction SW is going...keeping it fresh.  Raven is my favorite of his solo efforts.  And can I just say the Drive Home guitar solo (especially the texture..sounds like a sax when it starts IMO) is just perfect!

Exactly this. Up to the sax part even, the very first time I heard it, the first few seconds I was definitely under the impression that it was the a saxophone playing.

I have to say that the Drive Home guitar solo might be my favorite solo of all time. I'm not even kidding. It's out of this world.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2957 on: February 25, 2014, 11:33:01 AM »
Just discovered PT and Steven Wilson.  My favorite off of Raven is 'Drive Home', but the Holy Drinker is one badass song.

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2958 on: February 25, 2014, 12:42:59 PM »
Just discovered PT and Steven Wilson.  My favorite off of Raven is 'Drive Home', but the Holy Drinker is one badass song.

Welcome aboard. There's a goldmine of music there to be discovered. I agree with you about Drive Home. I fell in love with it instantly, and it's still my favourite. Holy Drinker is also amazing! Heck, they all are! :D

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #2959 on: February 25, 2014, 02:06:09 PM »
The ending to Holy Drinker got me head banging in sync with Steven Wilson when they played the song live. Such a great live song! The Watchmaker used to be one of my least favorites off of the last album until I saw the live version of it on YouTube and now it's one of my favorites.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #2960 on: February 25, 2014, 06:49:59 PM »
I'm in trouble with the wife. :omg:  I just used most of the ITunes card to buy PT's Deadwing and  Fear of a blank planet.  I already bought Wilson's Raven cd.   The PT live cd Coma Divine is great.  I am considering that purchase, but will have to get another ITunes card.

Hope it is ok to talk of PT on this thread.

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #2961 on: February 25, 2014, 08:29:40 PM »
I love all of the woodwinds in his solo stuff (and in PT, when they show up).

As for my favorite song on Raven now... it started as Holy Drinker, and now I think it's actually Luminol. It's hard to say, it changes a lot.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #2962 on: February 25, 2014, 08:46:18 PM »
I'm in trouble with the wife. :omg:  I just used most of the ITunes card to buy PT's Deadwing and  Fear of a blank planet.  I already bought Wilson's Raven cd.   The PT live cd Coma Divine is great.  I am considering that purchase, but will have to get another ITunes card.

Hope it is ok to talk of PT on this thread.
It's definitely ok to talk about PT on this thread, as well as Steven Wilson's other projects. Since you're a newer fan, you might not have been aware of the current situation regarding the future of PT, but the group have been on a hiatus since the fall of 2010 in order for Steven to concentrate on his solo albums, but unfortunately of that there are some fans who have still yet to get over it and accept the fact that the solo career is now his main musical priority at the moment.

Fear of a Blank Planet and Deadwing are awesome albums to start off with. I'd also check out In Absentia as well. IMO, it's sort of like their version of what I&W was for DT.  Coma Divine is a great introduction to the more psychedelic and instrumentally PT, which is criminally underrated IMO.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2963 on: February 25, 2014, 09:15:15 PM »
I love PT, but what Steven pulled off with Raven is so stunning, I don't care much for a PT reunion.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2964 on: February 25, 2014, 09:18:12 PM »
I think I'll be happy with whatever Steven Wilson decides to do, he rarely lets me down.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2965 on: February 25, 2014, 09:50:22 PM »
It's hit or miss (e.g. FOABP did little for me) but frankly I'd rather have an artist who cares about his art and doesn't stand still and thus dares treading new ground, than some other unnamed bands who just keep doing variations of the same thing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2966 on: February 25, 2014, 11:14:18 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWKLF4Mg_KM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

From 38:00 on, really interesting to hear Gavin talk about PT's attempt to not succumb to the loudness war.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2967 on: February 25, 2014, 11:15:54 PM »
I think I'll be happy with whatever Steven Wilson decides to do, he rarely lets me down.

Same here. 

It's hit or miss (e.g. FOABP did little for me) but frankly I'd rather have an artist who cares about his art and doesn't stand still and thus dares treading new ground, than some other unnamed bands who just keep doing variations of the same thing.

It can go both ways.  I love how adventurous and unpredictable guys like Devin Townsend and Steven Wilson are, but on the other hand, while Neal Morse and Roine Stolt are both a bit predictable, they are such awesome songwriters within their narrower parameters, that I am fine with it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2968 on: February 25, 2014, 11:20:34 PM »
Yeah, it's very personal in that sense. The reason you just mentioned is exactly why I stopped listening to both Morse and TFK (both of which I really loved at some point).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2969 on: February 25, 2014, 11:26:02 PM »
The advantage of having a huge variety of music over many albums is I can go through a phase with a band or artist and never even touch the bulk of the discs.  For example, I could go through a PT phase, and it might have been a space rock/psychedelic phase where I listened to the early to mid 90s stuff, it might have been a catchy rock phase where I loaded up on Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun, or it might have been a hard rock phase where I listened to the albums since Gavin Harrison joined the band.  I can do the same with Rush, Radiohead, Devin Townsend, etc., and that is pretty awesome.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #2970 on: February 26, 2014, 03:10:27 AM »
unfortunately there are some fans who have still yet to get over it and accept the fact that the solo career is now his main musical priority at the moment.
Again, with the digs at people for having different opinions! Not you specifically, but is this what GMD is, now?! You can accept something without being thrilled about it, and if you aren't thrilled about something it's totally okay to occasionally and tactfully express that. Great that you love SW's current stuff, that's utterly brilliant, I think The Raven's a great album too, but I mean - look, you've got three albums you love! What have they got? Nothing, and lip.

Maybe it's me that's changed. Maybe I'm out of sync with the message board frame of mind. If this is that, I can't say I've missed it.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #2971 on: February 26, 2014, 04:13:49 AM »
I'm with Robwebster. Some people want what they want. Like I want Derek Sherinian and Steven Wilson to make an album together. Is it gonna happen? Probably not.

Actually, who would you like to see Steven Wilson work with in the future, guys?
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2972 on: February 26, 2014, 04:34:48 AM »
I don't think any of the "dislike" for what SW is doing now (from the people who wants PT back) comes from the albums actually being bad quality-wise. It's not like Raven is a bad album or anything. I remember when he released Insurgentes, the feedback overall seemed very positive. Maybe it was because he was still in PT as well, so there were no backlash in the same way. But then PT disbanded and now he has released Grace and Raven. Either you buy into the whole 70's prog rock with a more retro sound, and you really love what he is doing, or you might not find the direction he is taking very interesting at all. To me, Raven is a fine album musically, it's just not a very exciting road he is taking with his music. But that's just my opinion. He has gotten a lot of new fans with this album, probably fans who are very much into the more classic sound, and really appreciates what he is doing.

As for who I would love to see him collaborate with, I would say someone that isn't part of the progressive scene. Would be cool to see what SW could do with someone like Trent Reznor or Mike Patton.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2973 on: February 26, 2014, 05:14:13 AM »
I'd maybe like SW & Devin Townsend or maybe just some more SW & JR :)

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #2974 on: February 26, 2014, 05:36:51 AM »
I'd like to see Steven Wilson do a 5.1 mix for a Devin Townsend album if that counts as a collaboration. I think it'll be interesting to see Steven collaborate with Justin Broadrick from Godflesh/Jesu, the guys from Sunn O))) or Ulver but it'd be more in line with his Bass Communion project rather than PT, or his solo stuff.