Author Topic: Steven Wilson  (Read 316014 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Steven Wilson
« Reply #3080 on: August 02, 2014, 01:47:59 PM »
Steven Wilson ‏@StevenWilsonHQ  1m
Recording of the follow up album to 'The Raven that Refused To Sing' starts this month (with the same band line-up).

This album is sure to start 2015 off with a bang! I cannot wait to hear it. I wonder if it'll be a double album like GFD, or an album of longer tracks like TRTRTS, or a return to more shorter tracks like Insurgentes? Or perhaps it'll be a concept album in the vein of The Incident?

No matter what he does, I'll be sure to save up for the limited deluxe edition!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3081 on: August 02, 2014, 05:14:52 PM »
it's become obvious at this point — it's going to sound like whichever bands he was re-mixing/mastering at the time he wrote the songs!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3082 on: August 02, 2014, 06:28:51 PM »
I'll most likely get the limited edition again as well. (Already got GFD and Raven, and would love to get Insurgentes) While Raven was a mild disappointment for me, and I'm not too excited about him doing more classic progressive rock, it's really hard to argue with the quality of the limited edition. It's just beautiful. Raven was a good album, and even if the limited edition was expensive, there were some beautiful pictures in there. It's really worth it for his time and effort alone.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3083 on: August 02, 2014, 10:12:57 PM »
Fockin' beautiful. I cannot wait to masturbate to this.  :metal (guess what the other hand is doing)

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3084 on: August 03, 2014, 02:04:16 AM »
Kate never was big in the US.
I think I misread the statement, as I thought it mean that one of the albums 80s albums hit the number 1 in the US and the other hit number 1 in the UK.

That's exactly what the statement implies. "Respectively" being the catch word in the statement.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3085 on: August 03, 2014, 03:48:46 PM »
I thought "respectively" meant one in the US and one in the UK...

Again Jackie is correct.  leave it to dude, not to read the instructions. :lol

So maybe it is Kate Bush!

;)

In other news, I've never heard Kate Bush.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3086 on: August 03, 2014, 04:13:51 PM »
Rectify that now!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3087 on: August 03, 2014, 04:23:35 PM »
Okay, name a song.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3088 on: August 03, 2014, 05:01:34 PM »
Running up that Hill  --      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp43OdtAAkM

Hounds Of Love --   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w_m86INkbw

Both from her big album of 1985
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3089 on: August 03, 2014, 06:12:47 PM »
Oh man. Yep, that's 1985 all right  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3090 on: August 03, 2014, 06:49:32 PM »
Oh yeah it is! :lol

She was so damn unique though even for that time.  No one sounded like her.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3091 on: August 03, 2014, 10:45:57 PM »
Yeah, now it doesn't sound very out of the ordinary but I can imagine how it did back then. Except I was an infant, so I wouldn't have processed it very well :p

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3092 on: August 03, 2014, 10:47:43 PM »
I really do love Steven Wilson's work, but I kinda hope he strays a bit from the '70s prog theme. He does a very good job with it, but I'd love to see something new and innovative this time around

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3093 on: August 04, 2014, 03:52:35 AM »
Okay, name a song.

Wuthering Heights. Her first song, and an absolute stunner!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3094 on: August 04, 2014, 05:02:17 AM »
I really do love Steven Wilson's work, but I kinda hope he strays a bit from the '70s prog theme. He does a very good job with it, but I'd love to see something new and innovative this time around
This.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #3095 on: August 04, 2014, 11:45:51 AM »
This.
Agree.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3096 on: August 04, 2014, 11:47:35 AM »
Can't wait to hear the new record, mainly so I can listen to Guthrie's playing.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #3097 on: August 04, 2014, 08:13:42 PM »
This.
Agree.
Same. If he continues in the '70s prog route, I'm afraid he might repeat what he did with PT and The Incident and end up with a good but superfluous sounding album.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3098 on: August 04, 2014, 08:33:26 PM »
It's funny to see the divide.

Old farts like me want another TRTRTS.

Younger fans want more like Insurgentes or something more modern.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3099 on: August 04, 2014, 08:59:28 PM »
I thought The Raven.. was plenty modern.  Yes, the classic prog influences were strong, but it still had enough of the modern SW stamp to not sound derivative or anything like that.  Or are we really calling anything with lots of mellotron and flute classic prog-sounding and non-modern?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3100 on: August 04, 2014, 09:03:22 PM »
I thought The Raven.. was plenty modern.  Yes, the classic prog influences were strong, but it still had enough of the modern SW stamp to not sound derivative or anything like that.  Or are we really calling anything with lots of mellotron and flute classic prog-sounding and non-modern?

I'm with you all the way but the youngster hear a mellotron and a flute and it's 70's influenced.

BTW I saw you posting in this thread and wanted to read your response and I clicked the first page by accident and thought ricky was posting on this forum again. :lol

Now that's a senior moment. :lol

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #3101 on: August 04, 2014, 09:06:10 PM »
I'm a "younger" fan but I'm all for a TRTRTS part 2 cause that's my favorite SW release ever, but I'd also be happy with album that's a bit diverse like Insurgentes. TRTRTS was a modern sounding album and sounded like it could only have been made today, but as SW said in an interview, he used recording techniques that were used by people like Alan Parsons in the '70s.

I hope SW doesn't let the musical direction he's been in for the last 4 years overstay its welcome. He thought the metal influence on PT wore out after 3 or 4 albums, and I just hope he doesn't reach a point where he goes beyond all that he possibly could with the '70s influence in the context of his music. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3102 on: August 04, 2014, 09:08:20 PM »
Well, he did have Alan Parson's as the engineer as well. :lol 

I like to think of is as a modern twist on classic prog.  Either way, I'm all in for whatever he releases.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3103 on: August 04, 2014, 09:16:37 PM »
I'm pretty much down with whatever SW does.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #3104 on: August 05, 2014, 12:08:59 AM »
Well, he did have Alan Parson's as the engineer as well. :lol 

I like to think of is as a modern twist on classic prog.  Either way, I'm all in for whatever he releases.

Pretty much this.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3105 on: August 05, 2014, 01:54:49 AM »
Totally agreed.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3106 on: August 05, 2014, 02:32:06 AM »
Most of my frustration if SW were to make another 70s prog rock album comes from the fact that he disbanded/left several projects to only focus on his solo stuff. If we had another PT album or another Blackfield album around the corner, another 70s prog rock album in between wouldn't be a problem, but since he is now only making his solo music, that makes it more boring. I'll still buy it and I hope it's good, but to be honest I'm more excited about him releasing another Bass Communion album.

I would prefer it if he did something new and took on a new direction, OR made another PT album, but it seems to be the thing with musicians his age that they find a safe zone and considering his newfound status of "godfather of prog", he has no reason to leave that to do something else. Unless he wants to.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3107 on: August 05, 2014, 05:23:15 AM »
Anything Steven does is not safe.  Steven moves to his own beat.  Whatever at the time intrigues him.  He does what he pleases and to me, that's not safe.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3108 on: August 05, 2014, 05:30:18 AM »
It might be what he wants to do, but the 70s trend has been pretty hot so it's pretty much accepted. Raven was safe in a way that Insurgentes really wasn't, but again, it's not like you'll hear Raven on the radio or anything. I'm hoping for more Prog Rock in the style of Grace rather than Raven, but who knows at this point what he will do. When he played two new songs live, both sounded really great, so this will be one of my most anticipated albums of 2015 for sure.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3109 on: August 05, 2014, 05:48:14 AM »
We I think you won't have to worry too long Jimmy, we all know Steven changes ever few albums.  He never rests on his laurels.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3110 on: August 05, 2014, 11:34:36 AM »
Raven was not safe at all. Every time you massively change direction you run danger of alienating a good chunk of your fan base.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3111 on: August 05, 2014, 11:40:13 AM »
Yep, even though GfD and The Raven both have classic prog influences, it's extremely short-sighted to say they sound the same.  Hell, for one, the band he used was different, which resulted in The Raven being far more of a players' record (something SW usually isn't known for).

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3112 on: August 05, 2014, 12:35:59 PM »
With that being said, I still think The Raven is great. :tup

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3113 on: August 05, 2014, 12:39:55 PM »
To add a little bit what Kev said, the live show for TRTRTS seemed so complete with all the members that played in the album was on tour.  That show still resonates with me.  I believe Rumbo was blown away as well.

Offline emtee

« Reply #3114 on: August 05, 2014, 12:42:04 PM »
The middle section of Luminol is up there among the most moving beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard.