Author Topic: Steven Wilson  (Read 316040 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Steven Wilson
« Reply #3010 on: March 20, 2014, 11:43:44 AM »
Just listened to the Coma Divine Live cd and I have to say that 'Not beautiful anymore' is one of the best live songs I have ever heard.  :metal  I need to bite the bullet and get this cd.  The cost is 20.00 US on Itunes.

$20.00 on iTunes?! What a rip-off! Go to amazon instead and their mp3 version is only $13.86, or better yet, just get the physical CDs for as cheap as $14.83 after shipping.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #3011 on: March 20, 2014, 10:31:24 PM »
Yeah, $20 is crazy. Coma Divine is soo good.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3012 on: March 28, 2014, 11:29:31 AM »
Thanks for the tip.  I ordered the Coma Divine cd and In Absentia cd and received in a couple of days.

After listening to Lighbulb Sun, should have ordered that one as well.

Just listened to the Coma Divine Live cd and I have to say that 'Not beautiful anymore' is one of the best live songs I have ever heard.  :metal  I need to bite the bullet and get this cd.  The cost is 20.00 US on Itunes.

$20.00 on iTunes?! What a rip-off! Go to amazon instead and their mp3 version is only $13.86, or better yet, just get the physical CDs for as cheap as $14.83 after shipping.

-Marc.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3013 on: March 30, 2014, 10:39:03 AM »
A gentle nudge in the direction of Polls/Survivors for the Blackfield Survivor Consolation tournament.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=41153.msg1787164#msg1787164

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3014 on: March 30, 2014, 03:34:18 PM »
Listening to Raider II from Get All You Deserve. So much epic.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #3015 on: May 27, 2014, 04:45:28 PM »
From Facebook:

As this page passes the 200,000 likes / followers milestone, I’d like to thank everyone here for your continued interest and support, and all the encouraging comments and career advice (-:
I'm old enough to remember the days when getting information out to 200,000 potentially interested people would have meant putting 200,000 newsletters into 200,000 envelopes, and buying 200,000 stamps to stick on them! So as a musician there is at least one big reason to be grateful for the internet.
For the past few months I've been working hard on my next album, and will continue through until towards the end of the year for a release early in 2015 (but we'll bring you some previews before that). I won't say too much about it now, just that it’s another project where the music, story, and visuals all work together, and that we're trying to raise the bar again. Pretentious, and proudly so!
SW

Exciting stuff! I guess it will be about 2 years come early 2015, but it still feels relatively soon for another SW release...
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #3016 on: May 27, 2014, 04:46:26 PM »
meh

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #3017 on: May 27, 2014, 05:03:26 PM »
:woot:

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #3018 on: May 27, 2014, 05:37:05 PM »
meh

Meh what? Meh this isn't all that much of an update? (agree) or meh you're not excited about early 2015 SW?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3019 on: May 27, 2014, 06:31:53 PM »
I couldn't care less about the facebook thing (although I am happy to hear about more people getting into him), but it's awesome to hear that he's hard at work; though I assumed that he was, it's good to get confirmation. I'm sure it'll be another masterpiece. He hasn't done a single thing I haven't (eventually) loved since going solo.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3020 on: May 27, 2014, 08:39:34 PM »
Is Guthrie and Marco going to be on the new record? Does anyone know?

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #3021 on: May 27, 2014, 09:11:09 PM »
I guess it will be about 2 years come early 2015, but it still feels relatively soon for another SW release...

His solo releases from Insurgentes onward had a 2+ year gap in between them (technically it was released in November 2008, but the retail release was not until February 2009). At least he's very pretty consistent in writing/recording/touring his solo work in a particular time frame.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3022 on: May 27, 2014, 10:05:12 PM »
Keep in mind, too, that a PT album and tour both happened in between Insurgentes and Grace for Drowning.

Also, I assume the next album will have the same band he has had together for a while, unless he says otherwise.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3023 on: May 28, 2014, 12:01:52 AM »

They will, I am far too lazy to look up any links or source, but he's said on a few occasions that this new album will, like the last, be tailored for this line-up of guys. But unless something has come up very recently, this is to be his solo band; it's pretty clear he loves playing with the guys and from seeing them play together live, they work very well and all seem to be having a lot of fun. I'm sure many can attest to that at least.  :millahhhh :metal I'd be extremely surprised if any line-up changes occurred. For the album at least, who knows how the new tour will go, but hopefully there's no scheduling conflicts like last time.

RIP DTP.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3024 on: May 28, 2014, 01:59:42 AM »
meh

Meh what? Meh this isn't all that much of an update? (agree) or meh you're not excited about early 2015 SW?

There wasn't really anything exciting in his update. Good for him that his Facebook is doing okay, but we already knew he was working on a new album, and that it would probably come out in early 2015, so no news there.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3025 on: May 30, 2014, 10:51:15 AM »

They will, I am far too lazy to look up any links or source, but he's said on a few occasions that this new album will, like the last, be tailored for this line-up of guys. But unless something has come up very recently, this is to be his solo band; it's pretty clear he loves playing with the guys and from seeing them play together live, they work very well and all seem to be having a lot of fun. I'm sure many can attest to that at least.  :millahhhh :metal I'd be extremely surprised if any line-up changes occurred. For the album at least, who knows how the new tour will go, but hopefully there's no scheduling conflicts like last time.

I thought Marco was not going to be able to record it. I don't have a link but I do recall reading about it. maybe I read it on the PT Forum.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3026 on: May 30, 2014, 11:46:11 AM »
That would be massively disappointing... I thought that was just for the tour. Here's hoping. I know it'll sound amazing either way, Wilson isn't gonna settle, but Marco is perfect for the job. Wonderful talent and control, but can do buck wild when he's allowed.

RIP DTP.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3027 on: July 10, 2014, 05:22:15 PM »
Just picked up Cover Version and I'm really enjoying it so far. Most of the songs I haven't heard though so it'll be neat to hear the different styles and go back to see what they're like. The only one I think I've actually heard is Thank You, which I enjoyed a lot.

Ed: Oops, didn't realize I was last to post. My bad!

RIP DTP.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3028 on: July 10, 2014, 05:28:59 PM »
I love Marco's playing, but I certainly would settle for Gavin's too :)
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3029 on: July 10, 2014, 05:58:04 PM »

A little controversial but for me , Holy Drinker, Drive Home, The Raven and especially Luminol all are better songs than the overrated Watchmaker...  :P

Dear past me,

Umm, i hate you pretentious idiot, watchmaker is the greatest song ever made and has one of the greatest guitar solos ever...idiot  >:(

:lol

But yeah it took me a bit to really "get" as well. Luminol is my least favourite at this point. It's the only song that doesn't have any "WOW" moments for me. However it's still a consistently good song.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #3030 on: July 10, 2014, 10:29:13 PM »
Someone was asking wether or not Marco will drum on solo album #4? Well, from a recent interview with Echoes and Dust, here's Marco to answer that question...

So Marco, are there any other upcoming projects in the pipeline? Will you continue on with Steven Wilson now that he’s working on the follow-up to “The Raven Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)”?
Marco: Yes, we will be recording the new Steven Wilson album in September. Also, a new Aristocrats album in will be on the way soon.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3031 on: July 10, 2014, 10:37:11 PM »
Someone was asking wether or not Marco will drum on solo album #4? Well, from a recent interview with Echoes and Dust, here's Marco to answer that question...

So Marco, are there any other upcoming projects in the pipeline? Will you continue on with Steven Wilson now that he’s working on the follow-up to “The Raven Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)”?
Marco: Yes, we will be recording the new Steven Wilson album in September. Also, a new Aristocrats album in will be on the way soon.

Marco's been busy! Between his new solo album, then these next two, he'll be booked for a year and a half!

If SW4 records this September, I can see a Summer 2015 release for it, which would be perfect to launch a new tour. Hopefully I can catch the next one!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #3032 on: July 10, 2014, 10:39:31 PM »
 :metal :millahhhh

RIP DTP.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3033 on: July 11, 2014, 12:38:05 AM »
i hope it's a triple album. just... because. :rollin

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3034 on: July 11, 2014, 02:47:46 AM »
I would love another 80s influenced album like Insurgentes rather than a new 70's influenced GfD/Raven, but I think we'll get the latter.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #3035 on: July 11, 2014, 03:31:12 AM »
I never thought of Insurgentes as 80's influenced... what bands/artists are you thinking about? I consider Insurgentes the most unique of his efforts (and my favorite)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3036 on: July 11, 2014, 05:21:14 AM »
I never thought of Insurgentes as 80's influenced... what bands/artists are you thinking about? I consider Insurgentes the most unique of his efforts (and my favorite)

Well he has said it himself that he was very influenced by bands like The Cure and Joy Division. The Post-Punk elements feel very 80s IMO. But yeah, overall what I love about Insurgentes is that it feels very timeless. You have nods to bands like The Cure and Joy Division, but you also have the nod to King Crimson and the drone/noise aspects. I would love another album like Insurgentes.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #3037 on: July 11, 2014, 05:32:23 AM »

Well he has said it himself that he was very influenced by bands like The Cure and Joy Division. The Post-Punk elements feel very 80s IMO. But yeah, overall what I love about Insurgentes is that it feels very timeless. You have nods to bands like The Cure and Joy Division, but you also have the nod to King Crimson and the drone/noise aspects. I would love another album like Insurgentes.

Cool, thanks for the info, I'm more of a modern music guy so my 80's knowledge is pretty limited (or plain out non-existent). I've always read good things about those bands though, perhaps I should check them out.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #3038 on: July 11, 2014, 05:33:40 AM »
The songwriting on Insurgentes isn't as consistent as on The Raven, but stylistically it's closer to my tastes and the highlights are amazing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3039 on: July 11, 2014, 06:09:59 AM »
I would easily pick Insurgentes over Raven, but it's really more a question of what style you prefer rather than what album is "better".

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3040 on: July 11, 2014, 06:46:41 AM »

You know what's good about this conversation?!

Steven Wilson is ever changing in his style of music ever so slightly and always keeps me hooked because his music is always so fresh to me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3041 on: July 11, 2014, 06:54:38 AM »
The freshness has slowly worn off over the years for me, but what I love about SW is that his discography is so extensive and diverse. I've been listening to a lot of IEM (Incredible Expanding Mindfuck) recently, and I really love it. Parts of it actually sound very Grace For Drowning with jazz and progressive stuff, but overall more experimental and dark.

I think SW is one of those artists who has it all. Over his different projects in PT, solo, Blackfield, No-Man, Bass Communion, IEM and so on, you basically have something for every occasion/mood.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3042 on: July 11, 2014, 07:37:06 AM »
I will check that out. Thanks!

I also think it's hard to have a 20 plus year career and still sound fresh by as an artist, I know Steven is always expanding.  All bands essentially have the "sameness" in their sound that last that long.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3043 on: July 11, 2014, 09:21:57 AM »
I think there's some sameness within SW's different projects, but what's so great is that he seems to move on when it gets too much. PT were getting a bit stale (The Incident was IMO one of their weaker albums, but not bad), so he moved on with solo stuff. I would imagine one or maybe two more solo albums on the horizon, and I think we could get a new PT album. He moved on from Blackfield, and as much as I love Blackfield (I probably love it more because of Aviv Geffen than SW), SW has a great sense of moving away before something gets stale or predictable.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3044 on: July 11, 2014, 05:58:07 PM »
It's weird that, even though DT occupied my #1 spot far longer than any other band or artist will ever be able to do, I know that when all is said and done, Steven Wilson's output will stand in much higher regard than DT's to me.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."