Author Topic: Wrestling - Road to Wrestlemania 29  (Read 214407 times)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Re: Wrestling - Road to Wrestlemania 28
« Reply #665 on: April 11, 2012, 06:26:29 PM »
Brock had some good matches with 'Taker and Angle on his first run.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #666 on: April 11, 2012, 07:20:28 PM »
Sting was way overrated back in the day.  The first two times they gave him the world title, he flopped. The first time, he flopped so badly that they gave Flair the belt back six months later (this was late 1990, and it was later revealed that they had determined that Flair's time at the top was done, but they gave him the title back after Sting flopped), and the second time, he dropped it to Vader less than five months later.  Sting was never the stud guy who could carry a big promotion like many thought he was gonna be.

And I don't know why so many are dying to see Sting/Undertaker.  Is Vince really gonna build up a guy like Sting for the match, considering Sting has never worked for him?  Vince doesn't like giving instant stud status to characters he didn't create (the exception being when Flair came to the WWF in the latter part of 1991).

Sting got cut off at the knees by booking for most of his world title reigns. His first reign was the fucking Black Scorpion disaster, his second reign he never really got to establish a feud before he jobbed to Vader (and to be fair, Sting made Vader look like a million bucks as the monster heel.) He didn't get to beat Flair when his heat was at the highest due to a knee injury, and he never got to feud with a heel Lex Luger in 1990 when Luger was a top heel.  Sting was hugely, insanely over for a very long time-it really took the Starrcade 97 debacle and its follow up to kill him-and was far better than people credit him as a worker. You book him in a feud in 1990 where he fends off the Horsemen one by one before finally pinning Flair at Starrcade and he's MADE as a star. Ole Anderson fucked him hardcore with the booking, and Bill Watts fucked him harder.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #667 on: April 11, 2012, 08:19:25 PM »
The Black Scorpion angle was definitely horrible.  It wasn't even supposed to be Flair originally, but Ole Anderson; I cannot remember the exact reason it was changed, although I think injuries prevented Ole from competing anymore at the time.

Sting definitely put Vader over big time in '92.  That was the one I really liked about the NWA/WCW in the 80s/early 90s...whenever a heel won a title, they often won it fair and square.  As dirty a player as Flair won, he always won his world titles fair and square.

Really, once Sting tore his knee up in early '90, and they turned Luger back to being a face, they should have had Luger win the title from Flair.  But that's Flair fault, as he refused to drop the strap to Luger.  And to think that Flair later criticized Bret Hart for not wanting to drop the WWF title to Michaels in Montreal. :\

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #668 on: April 15, 2012, 02:06:54 PM »
So I'm going to both Raw and Smackdown tapings tomorrow and Tuesday :hat Awww yeah

Be nice to see Monday Night Raw without Cole or Smackdown with Booker T AND Cole yapping away. :P
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #669 on: April 16, 2012, 03:34:36 PM »
General question I was wondering: How/when did you get interested in wrestling?

I was introduced to it via the NWA on TBs back in the 80s. The Four Horseman, Dusty Rhodes, Rock n Roll Express… and that followed to the WWF. I still remember renting the first Wrestlemanias on VHS. I even had the (don’t call them dolls) Hogan, Savage, Superfly Snuka action figures.

Then I lost interest in the 90s as I was graduating high school, almost failing out of college, dicovering my burgeoning interest in alcohol and women. Looking back I feel bad I missed out on the Monday Night Wars (and WCW) and rise of the Attitude era. Then I was checking out Raw on night to see what was up in the WWF and I saw a guy who looked like a homeless vagrant challenge a roided up guy with a big nose to a match called Hell in a Cell. I had never heard of that type of match before, but damn if it didn’t sound awesome.

I again lost interest a few years later and am just now starting to follow it again.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #670 on: April 16, 2012, 05:53:24 PM »
I'm guessing that was the Mankind/Triple H HIAC in 2000.

I started watching from a very young age, the World Wrestling Council was the first company I watched religiously, that was Puerto Rico's top/best company at the time, owned by the legendary Carlos Colón (father of WWE's Carlito Caribbean Cool and Primo/Eddie Colón and uncle to Epico). This would've been like '95, '96 and a lot of "big name" or recognizable talent came through the company; Dutch Mantell, One Man Gang, Val Venis (before he took that gimmick, he was called Glamour Boy Sean at the time), Dory Funk Jr., Invader #1 (probably best known for being the guy who stabbed Bruiser Brody to death)  Then I started, or rather realized, there was also the WCW and WWF and enjoyed the hell out of the Monday Night Wars. Saw the rise of Stone Cold from the start, and he instantly became (still is) my favorite wrestler, saw the nWo angle be used to death, WCW putting the final nail in their coffin by making Goldberg lose the undefeated streak and Mankind put my butt in a seat, yes he did!

After the Attitude Era ended and Stone Cold and The Rock left, HBK and 'Taker appearances became sporadic, the debacle that was the "new" ECW, the PG-programming and WWE's hellbent-ness to push Cena down my throat I began to lose interest. Until this happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OS9wZGb_3g and I started watching again and marking for CM Punk.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #671 on: April 16, 2012, 06:03:36 PM »
Sometime in the mid-90s. A neighbour gave me a video tape of some WWF games (Hogan vs Taker was there, at least one of them) and I was instantly fascinated by the dead man. A while after that I discovered that there is wrestling broadcasted late at night on some German channels (DSF?) so I started staying up and recording the matches I was interested in.
Later as the cable tv providers got more channels I found WCW and watched that, then SkySports got into regular morning broadcasts of WWF matches which was amazing. Watch with a friend before school, talk all day about it and try out moves in gym class.

My favourites were Undertaker, Hogan (the nWo one), Raven, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, Disco Inferno (I loved watching this guy lose, was so silly!) Giant, Mankind, Goldberg and Stone Cold. Those were always at the top and main reason why I watched wrestling. This list could go on, though, there were so many great wrestlers and characters back in the 95-2000/2 period (probably before too). The "newest" I like is Kane back when he had a mask and was a real menace, having 3 minute fights and tombstoning the referee at the end. And boy, what a toombstone he had!
Now I can't name 3 guys that are worth watching and came in the business post 2002. At least not off the top of my head.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #672 on: April 16, 2012, 06:57:22 PM »
Late 70s/early 80s, with Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling (NWA) - what would eventually morph into WCW.  I watched Ric Flair and Ricky Steamboat before either one had been a World Champ.  What an awesome era to grow up in.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #673 on: April 16, 2012, 07:14:26 PM »
I just always watched it growing up, I'm guessing my dad used to be into it back in the day. I still remember when there were only the original four PPVs every year, and all the kids on the street would come down to my house to watch them. I was a huge HBK fan, and I remember the crazy emotional swings I felt when he got put in the Sharpshooter with like 30 seconds left in his Iron Man match against Bret Hart, only to win in the extra time (hey, I was like 9 at the time :lol). I gradually started drifting away a few years later, missed a whole bunch from the early through late 2000s. I fell back in to being a regular viewer when I found out a buddy of mine was still into it, and some of my favorites were still around. It's become a weekly tradition for us to either watch Raw together at a bar, or at our houses and text about it.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #674 on: April 16, 2012, 07:19:47 PM »
I remember Blackjack Mulligan, Don Kernoodle, and Baron Von Raschke (what an idiot, but he could crush an apple with his hand).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #675 on: April 16, 2012, 08:25:51 PM »
I think about a year after Hogan won the championship.  Probably about 6-10 months before Wrestlemania 1?  I remember Piper blastin Captain Lou.  I remember Piper smacking Snuka with a coconut.  Man, Piper in the mid 80s was the best heel ever IMO.  Followed it fairly consistently through to about when Rock and Stone Cold were both no longer full time.  Lost interest in the mid 00s.  Getting re-connected with it a little now, but not following it intensely.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #676 on: April 16, 2012, 11:40:16 PM »
I grew up watching Wrestling at the Chase in the early 80s, which was on every Sunday morning.  Watched off and on for a few years, and then was pretty hardcore from '88-'91 (watching tons of WWF and NWA/WCW), and then was only an occasional watcher again for a few years, and then watched hardcore again when Hogan and the nWo exploded.  Stopped watching for the most part as WCW slowly went downhill in the late 90s.  I really didn't watch much WWF action when Austin and the Rock were at their peaks.  I didn't watch any wrestling at all from the late 90s till probably early '09, so I missed most of the Attitude Era, and getting back into it a little bit was total luck, as I just happened to flipping around the dial on a Monday night and came across RAW in the middle of the altercation where Randy Orton punted Vince in the head.  Orton's heel character kind of sucked me back in, and I watched a lot in '09.  Been a casual fan again since, going through periods where I'll watch a lot and periods where I won't.  If I am home on a Monday night, I am more likely to watch RAW, but I would never plan around it or avoid something else for it (I went out with friends to watch hockey tonight, for example).  And I never watch Smackdown and would never pay for a PPV.  Really, CM Punk is the only reason I watch at all anymore (since they emasculated Orton as a face).

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #677 on: April 17, 2012, 02:41:07 PM »
How I got into wrestling?
I'm mexican. I think that explains it all.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #678 on: April 17, 2012, 05:07:38 PM »
I started watching in the mid 80's with the rock n wrestling boom. Enjoyed the wrestling cartoon and then Superstars Saturday morning. Then of course wrestling challenge saturday evening. Once a month when main event would replace snl would be a huge event; this being before ppvs were prevelent. I still believe the best wrestling overall was 80s Jim Crockett NWA. Ric Flair is my all time favorite and all of his matches were enjoyable to watch. The cast surrounding him at the time was spectacular - Rhodes, magnum TA, road warriors, sting, lugar, koloff, etc. I don't want to know how much money I've spent in my life wrestling related.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #679 on: April 17, 2012, 05:31:37 PM »
My interest in Wrestling comes in waves.

I was first introduced to the WWF at the age of 3 in 1991, by my mom's boyfriend who loved Wrestling. I remember being mesmerized by the spectacle of it all. I loved to watch Ultimate Warrior, Million Dollar man, Macho man and lex lugar. But my favorite of them all was The Undertaker, probably cause he scared me to death.

Then a few years past of not watching it and then I became obsessed with WCW in 97. Sting was my favorite, yet another dark character. I also really liked DDP, Booker T and absolutely loved Scott Hall. Especially when he threw his tooth pick.

Then a few more years passed and I checked up WWE in 2003. I remember being pretty bored during this time. Undertaker was getting toward the end of his biker gimmick and it was feeling a little tired. Diva's were boring me to death, and worst of all, Kane Took off his Mask. Then I tuned out.

After 9 years of not watching I just started watching Raw again a few weeks ago and I'm enjoying it for the most part. I really like CM punk a lot and I am mesmerized by Santino and his power walking.  :lol

Offline John94

« Reply #680 on: April 18, 2012, 06:44:56 AM »
Royal Rumble 2000 - Triple H v Cactus Jack. Mae Young getting her puppies out. Rock and Big Show having that crazy Rumble finish.

Love watching MSG events purely for the nostalgia and short walkway to the ring.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #681 on: April 20, 2012, 10:22:43 AM »
12 years ago today, the wrestling world lost a legend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gA9NbyvPe4

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #682 on: April 20, 2012, 11:47:38 AM »
12 years ago today, the wrestling world lost a legend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gA9NbyvPe4

Rick Rude was incredible. I first discovered him when he was running with DX, but as I looked back into his past, I gained a true respect for him.

Offline John94

« Reply #683 on: May 16, 2012, 09:05:58 AM »
Thread resurrection... so what do  you guys make of Paul Heyman being on screen? I hope he sticks around and eventually rejoins the office on creative side.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #684 on: May 16, 2012, 10:33:48 AM »
I love Paul Heyman, but I really love to hate Paul Heyman, cause he makes it so easy. His sleazy, slimeball in-ring personal and his real life persona are one in the same and that's why he is so effective and convincing.

I definitely hope he sticks around.

I'm still curious if they are going to backpeddle on Lord Tensai, since the gimmick doesn't appear to be getting over at all. I would have just kept a mask on him, keep him silent and have his manager work the mic. ( I was vaguely interested until the moment they took that mask off)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #685 on: May 16, 2012, 11:22:45 AM »
Bringing Heyman back as the mouth piece for Lesnar was a no-brainer. I'm surprise they actually let Lesnar cut promos for 2 weeks. *shudders*

Oh and LOL everything about Lord Albertsan
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:27:55 AM by Dimitrius »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #686 on: May 16, 2012, 11:30:55 AM »
^^^  They should just repackage him as Lord Abertrain

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #687 on: May 16, 2012, 11:34:38 AM »
I wish Jamal hadn't died. His Umaga gimmick was just as bad as Lord Albert, but they had potential to take it to hilarious places. I always wanted them to go the comedy route, and have him fall in love with Maria.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #688 on: May 16, 2012, 11:34:41 AM »
And, is it just me, or does anybody else finds ridiculous that every time a heel makes an argument against a babyface using only truth, logic and relevations, the only response the babyface makes is just to attack the heel?? :lol :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #689 on: May 16, 2012, 11:38:57 AM »
Someone should really tell Heyman that being completely bald on top, but growing hair in the back and then putting it in a ponytail, looks utterly ridiculous. :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #690 on: May 17, 2012, 08:28:11 AM »
Devin Townsend and his skullet want a word with you
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #691 on: May 17, 2012, 06:58:53 PM »
John Cena posted the following on his Twitter account:

"STARTING Monday Night July 23 @USA_NETWORK WILL BE ADDING A 3RD HOUR TO @WWE MONDAY NIGHT RAW - PERMANENTLY. #3hourRaw"

USA Network's Twitter account has confirmed this.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #692 on: May 17, 2012, 07:38:40 PM »
WWE MONDAY RAW NITRO!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #693 on: May 17, 2012, 07:50:52 PM »
Dumb idea.  All that means is more commercials, more replays of the most important happenings (like when something happens during the opening segment and they replay it three times...now it will be five times :lol), more boring promos, and still not enough actual wrestling.  Ho-hum.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #694 on: May 17, 2012, 08:48:07 PM »
I'll take quality over quantity anyday, and since I already get bored at different points through out the show as it is, I don't think adding an extra hour is a good idea.

now if they used that 3rd hour to just go x-rated attitude era, then I could get down with that.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #695 on: May 17, 2012, 08:53:32 PM »
Would you rather have a medium amount of good pizza, or all you can eat of pretty good pizza?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: May 17, 2012, 09:43:29 PM »
Would you rather have a medium amount of good pizza, or all you can eat of pretty good pizza?

Not really the issue.  Following your analogy, think of Raw as a pepperoni pizza with anchovis (or some other ingredient you despise).  The goal in preparing this pizza should be to maximize the pepperoni and minimize the anchovis, right?  If they use this extra hour to add more pepperoni, I'm all for it, but I'm afraid that extra space is just going to be home to more and more anchovis. 

If the difference in size is made up entirely of ingredients you don't like, would you rather have a medium pizza or a large?

In short, if they add an hour of wrestling to each show, great.  If they add an hour of Johnny Ace and Cena cutting promos, I want nothing to do with it. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #697 on: May 18, 2012, 11:11:14 AM »
I've grown to like the promos more than the wrestling these days. I stopped watching wrestling for a few years, and now I just watch the promos on youtube and rarely watch a match. I just like the wrestlers talking shit to each other more.

There's also the fact that I don't give a flying fuck about most if not all of the new comers, and enjoy when guys like Triple H cut promos. I looking forward to what he has to say next Monday.

I absolutely hate John Laryngitis though.

I guess I'm supposed to...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #698 on: May 19, 2012, 02:46:42 AM »
That's not what's going to happen.

They are going to go from two hamburgers, each with a 1/2 pound patty, to three hamburgers, each with a 1/3 pound patty.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #699 on: May 20, 2012, 06:46:06 PM »
...Layla can wrestle!