Author Topic: THE Tool Thread  (Read 86784 times)

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: THE Tool Thread
« Reply #455 on: February 05, 2013, 04:30:01 PM »
Also...
Well, gee. Thanks for being so blunt, Maynard.

Less working on goofy side projects no one ultimately cares about, more working on Tool.

Please.
Journalism at its most professional right there, folks.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #456 on: February 05, 2013, 04:31:51 PM »
The author sounds like a whiny, self righteous Tool fan (80% of their fanbase)
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #457 on: February 05, 2013, 09:36:15 PM »
Be that as it may, it's very hard to disagree with his comments. APC is the only one of MJK's side projects that even would have had a snowball's chance in hell of establishing him in the mainstream music consciousness and even that's no sure bet since their music is far less impressive than Tool's.

He may not owe us an album per se but when you have a very luxurious lifestyle thanks to a devout fanbase that nearly hangs on your every word, you'd think someone may have some intrinsic desire to get their ass working on something once every 2 or 3 years. It's an album, not a PhD.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline adace

« Reply #458 on: July 22, 2013, 06:23:21 PM »

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #459 on: July 22, 2013, 06:49:26 PM »
Volto's debut album 'Incitare' is streaming: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/volto-light-up-with-incitare-album-premiere-20130722

That is one great album, I actually enjoyed that more that I've enjoyed tool's work in years. Guess my tastes are changing.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #460 on: July 22, 2013, 06:55:57 PM »
I've got some other stuff I'm going to listen to, but I gave that first song a listen... I must own this, that shit is rad as fuck.
EDIT: Now in 4 tracks, that other music can wait.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 07:13:38 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #461 on: July 22, 2013, 07:23:14 PM »
Next Summer it will be Eight Years since 10,000 days.

If you think about everything you've done in 8 years - it just makes it seem more ridiculous.

Music wise - i've recorded a concept prog album about Mars - Escape Plan 2008

Recorded a professional rock album and released it online worldwide - Demise Of The Monsters - 2011

Recorded an Instrumental metal EP completely on my own in my room and released it via Bandcamp - The Juggernaut 2012

And i'm currently working on my next Instrumental Metal album to be released this December - New Primitive Weapons - 2013

- Now I know it's very different for Tool of course and Maynard has been busy with his endless side projects - but no new music whatsover in eight years ?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #462 on: July 22, 2013, 08:02:06 PM »
We get it, you make music.

:-*

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: July 22, 2013, 08:35:26 PM »
But so do Tool.

Oh wait.

I'm just saying that I couldn't go that long without putting anything out. MJK seems to be the only one who has regularly released music. The other three have been supposedly working on new Tool this whole time.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #464 on: July 22, 2013, 08:43:16 PM »
It still makes me laugh just how upset people can get when a band doesn't release new music constantly.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #465 on: July 22, 2013, 08:44:55 PM »
I would not describe a gap of eight years as just "not constantly".

I mean, I don't feel that I'm entitled to new music or anything, but the wait can become frustrating.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #466 on: July 22, 2013, 08:51:55 PM »
Wings for Marie has never done anything for me. Both of the songs seem melancholy and bland, and not really an interesting listen.

Interesting.  I think it's the band's best song(s).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: July 22, 2013, 09:01:38 PM »

I mean, I don't feel that I'm entitled to new music or anything, but the wait can become frustrating.

+ 1

Frankly I couldn't care less if they never release anything. But they've been giving up false info for too long.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #468 on: July 22, 2013, 09:10:15 PM »

That's what baffles me, why get frustrated over it.

I believe Tool likes to mess with fans, its them basically being humans. I have my own life and know bands can do as they please, even if some disband because it wasn't as fun anymore or their heart isn't in it anymore.

But they give info. Because they're asked about it, and I find it funny they're giving these answers.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #469 on: July 22, 2013, 09:23:39 PM »
Be that as it may, it's very hard to disagree with his comments.

I find it very easy to disagree with his comments, myself.  First of all, there are people who really love some of Maynard's side projects (I myself enjoy APC more than Tool, as a general rule), so the 'goofy side projects no one ultimately cares about' bit is flat-out wrong. 

Secondly, even if everyone in the world hated all of his side projects, so what?  Artists aren't obligated to make popular decisions.  (In fact, when artists make decisions based entirely on popularity, we generally label them sell-outs and scorn them - but that's another issue entirely.)  As far as I'm concerned, Maynard should be free to direct his creative energies wherever he wants. 

Besides, what do we expect, exactly?  One day Maynard's gonna go, "Oh, fine, you want some Tool, here's some fucking Tool," and then he writes the best album ever?  I don't see that happening.  I doubt he's gonna come up with anything inspired or interesting just because his fans kept pestering him.  If he writes any more (quality) Tool music, it's gonna be on his own timetable, not that of his fanbase.  And I, for one, would rather wait another few years for a great Tool album than get a decent Tool album right now because Maynard caved in to what his fans wanted.

... Yes, I realize that the article and post I'm responding to are several months old.  But the subject still seems relevant, and it's a subject I've been irked about in the past, so, whatever.  Just my two cents.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #470 on: July 23, 2013, 05:45:37 AM »
It still makes me laugh just how upset people can get when a band doesn't release new music constantly.

As much as I'd like to hear some new Tool tunes I agree with you. There are so many bands that I listen to that don't have the funds to release a new album so it's always a mystery if a new album will even happen.

I'm also curious at the writing dynamic in Tool, I was always under the impression everyone wrote the music and MJK just put lyrics down.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #471 on: July 23, 2013, 06:14:45 AM »
^ I believe that is the case too. And since Adam and Justin don't do side projects and Danny very occasionally . . . It makes you wonder why you would be a musician and not make music ?

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #472 on: July 23, 2013, 06:20:37 AM »
^ I believe that is the case too. And since Adam and Justin don't do side projects and Danny very occasionally . . . It makes you wonder why you would be a musician and not make music ?

Maybe playing is only a hobby now, they got money to spend doing a lot of other things.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #473 on: July 23, 2013, 07:31:34 AM »
Here's the thing.

Tool? Doesn't owe you ANYTHING. Much as Neil Gaiman said when people were complaining about how long it took George RR Martin to write books-they aren't your bitch. They don't work for you. If they want to take 10 years to put out an album, then they can. Purchasing a Tool album doesn't obligate them to make one ASAP because you want it. It is hard to understand sometimes how a band can exist for 20 years and have so few albums out, but they aren't obligated to make music to anyone's schedule but their own.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: July 23, 2013, 07:52:41 AM »
I agree with you 100% Jaq, it's like them putting out a new model TV, when it comes out you can purchase it.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #475 on: July 23, 2013, 12:06:06 PM »
Jaq pretty much made the complaints his bitch. Perfectly stated. It's out when it's out, and I'd rather them take their sweet time and make the masterpiece we know they can make rather than push it out for the sake of whiy-ass bitch-fans. Which would be me. Cause I really fucking want a new Tool album since I just got back into them.  :lol That said, I completely understand that Maynard is the big cheese and he certainly has not been doing 'nothing' for years; he's got other music projects, his wine (which is actually pretty damn good!), and creating baby-spider-baby hybrids.

I'll love it when it does release, but I'm not going to worry about it till it is. Or at least till we have a release date, then I'll obsess.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #476 on: July 23, 2013, 01:41:16 PM »
Adam has his creative art projects, might be doing something for someone. Maynard has his wine. I think they're content with where they are in life, and danny is doin volto.

Now, since Volto is released soon, could that mean he might focus on Tool.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #477 on: August 10, 2013, 02:55:35 PM »
here's the thing. they were nearly finished recording the new album a couple years ago when JC informed the boys one day that he had to take a break to go track bass for one song on a deadly album called The Fusion Syndicate. the rest of the boys decided to buy a pound of dope to kill the day, but instead they killed their momentum. rumour has it someone got way out of control on the demon weed and destroyed the master tapes of everything recorded thus far. JC, as one can imagine, was beyond pissed off after finding the carnage in the studio upon his return, said he needed a(nother) break from the guys, and hasnt been heard from since. we can only hope he comes around.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #478 on: August 10, 2013, 03:10:43 PM »
Is that the official version of " the master tapes were lost in the studio fire " story ?

Offline JPX

« Reply #479 on: August 10, 2013, 04:17:32 PM »
Honestly, the only annoying thing about Tool is Blair. He alone makes me block Tool out completely in between albums/tours.

If it takes them 10 years to not write Lateralus v3 (10,000 Days = Lateralus v2) then that's cool with me. Lateralus is one of the most beautiful albums ever made.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: August 10, 2013, 04:29:41 PM »
10,000 Days was more like aenima part 2.

I'd be very surprised if they managed another Lateralus.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #481 on: August 11, 2013, 02:11:53 PM »
was there actually a studio fire situation!?! my story is pure coincidence.

on a serious note, i remember an interview with Chancellor from somewhere around 9-15 months following the release of 10,000 Days in which he suggested that this time around, it might only be 3 years in between releases. so much for that math; he wouldnt even be right if he meant 3 years longer than normal between releases.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #482 on: August 11, 2013, 02:34:54 PM »
3 years actually equals 12 when converted to Tool Time.

That's right, that Tool Time

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #483 on: August 12, 2013, 11:31:33 PM »
2 spins into volto!.

holy fuck! i wanna  :hefdaddy, but i shouldnt, cuz i next to never do that 2 spins in to something...watch, after 5 spins, i'll already be over it.

but yeah, this is hitting the spot just perfect today. been getting my new(to me) instrumental fix from the aristocrats the past circa 7weeks, but as much as ive been loving that, im pretty sure if i had to choose, i'd be boarding this train.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: August 13, 2013, 06:03:27 AM »

lol no
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: August 13, 2013, 07:04:45 AM »

lol no

LOL Y NOT

It was nothing like Lateralus in any way.    Right In Two was almost a complete re-write of 46+2.

Offline JPX

« Reply #486 on: August 13, 2013, 08:24:35 AM »

lol no

LOL Y NOT

It was nothing like Lateralus in any way.    Right In Two was almost a complete re-write of 46+2.

Are you listening to the right CD? 10,000 days is like an album of b-side material from Lateralus. The production and songwriting is nothing like Ænima and almost identical to Lateralus. Then you have the artwork which makes the link even stronger.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #487 on: August 13, 2013, 12:44:44 PM »
I just want another Tool record, plain and simple.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #488 on: August 13, 2013, 02:03:43 PM »
ya, c'mon bru, it easily has way more in common with Lateralus than Aenima.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #489 on: August 13, 2013, 02:53:15 PM »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens