Author Topic: THE Tool Thread  (Read 86268 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: THE Tool Thread
« Reply #560 on: November 20, 2015, 11:33:04 AM »
Nah, I got no problem with scalpers. I just want the ticketing agencies to come up with some plan that's halfway fair and stick with it. And Tool bears quite a bit of responsibility here, as well. They're playing a 6300 seat venue here knowing full well that's about half what they need. There are a ton of options around here that meet their needs. By way of comparison, they're playing the same venue Dream Theater plays when bother with Dallas. `
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #561 on: November 21, 2015, 05:29:45 PM »
At least, not that tool :zydar:

:rollin

Anyway, I fucking hate scalpers and I fucking hate Ticketmaster. $102 is a lot but similar to what I paid to see them at Red Rocks a few years back.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #563 on: March 17, 2016, 06:20:46 AM »
Fuck off Tool.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #564 on: March 17, 2016, 06:22:15 AM »
Fuck off Tool.

10 years and they can't move forward. . . :rollin

Just write 75 minutes of music and put it out you absolute morons. :rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #565 on: March 17, 2016, 06:23:49 AM »
Would love to seriously know what the fuck is up with these guys.  What goes on in their heads with this shit.  Do they think we are fucking morons or something?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: March 17, 2016, 06:29:33 AM »
Hahaha seriously. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #567 on: March 17, 2016, 06:30:15 AM »
Yup, unless this is a bluff, they will hit ten years now.

And the more they draw it out, the more I doubt the album's gonna be that great.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: March 17, 2016, 06:30:23 AM »
I remember a couple of years ago Danny said they'd finished writing it. Then their studio burned down...and they lost the ONE copy they had of the album and had to start writing from scratch...

:rollin ok . whatever.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: March 17, 2016, 06:33:01 AM »
I still stand by my statement from a couple of years ago or whatever that there is no traces of a new album whatsoever.  I doubt they have done a fucking thing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: March 17, 2016, 06:33:49 AM »
I bet they all think they're being really clever and funny in an oh-so-arty Andy Kaufman way.

But no it's just pathetic and everyone is laughing AT THEM not with them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: March 17, 2016, 06:35:14 AM »
That's what I'm confused about, do they think they are being funny and clever.  Do they think dragging things out is building anticipation with the fans.  I don't know, they whole thing is just bizarre really.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: March 17, 2016, 06:40:41 AM »
They were done with their supposed lawsuit in January 2015. It's now well over a year later and they still haven't finished even writing it .... :rollin

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #573 on: March 17, 2016, 07:50:06 AM »
I really thought this band was special once. But come on, no one's THAT special....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #574 on: March 17, 2016, 08:21:37 AM »
I accepted the fact that we would never get another Tool album back in 2006 or so, similar to how I accepted that PT died back in 2010. It's nice clinging onto hope and wanting there to be something more, but at least we got a nice run of albums from them.

To be honest I'm more saddened by the fact that I'll never get to see them live. They only seem to tour in America and do it mostly out of convenience, and whenever they need to pay their bills, so while I would be OK with not getting another album, I think a new album would be the only thing that could push them out on the roads to visit Europe again.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #575 on: March 17, 2016, 08:34:51 AM »
Well, Adam does special effects work. So maybe it's all on him. Just not enough time to schedule
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #576 on: March 17, 2016, 08:47:27 AM »
What does that article even mean? :lol

Whatever, I stopped holding my breath a long time ago.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #577 on: March 17, 2016, 08:56:11 AM »
Tool always struck me as a band who even in their prime struggled writing music. With a lot of artists you either have albums coming out every other year, or B-Sides released on EPs and such. With Tool, even back in their prime it was 5 years between albums, and nothing else really. Don't get me wrong, listening to Lateralus or Aenima, those albums are amazing, but I get the feeling they really squeezed everything out of the lemon, and what they got was the album we got. There were no B-sides because there was nothing else of quality left. And then they needed 5 years to recharge. Even 10 000 Days, which is IMO a good album, you can kinda tell that it starts off really strong but towards the end the quality seems to dip.

I don't know, just a feeling I have. Take someone like SW who has put out great music in many different projects with only a year apart (sometimes in the same year), he's definitely a guy who has an easy time writing music and it comes out really great. I'd say Tool were the opposite.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: March 17, 2016, 10:33:21 AM »
Guitar wise they're not very technical. It's the bass and drums that provide that.

The guitar parts are really simple really.

Maybe Adam just has trouble writing because he's very limited as a guitar player.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #579 on: March 17, 2016, 11:28:31 AM »
I actually quite like that. Tool's guitars have never been flashy, but they have some beastly riffs in their catalog. Personally I'd take the main riff in a song like Vicarious over any DT riff, even if Petrucci is a better guitarist, there's just something so groovy about the guitars in Tool. Jambi is another good example of that. I think it also gives them their unique sound, because it's really the drums and the bass driving the songs, and the guitars are more standard hardrock than they are typical prog guitars, and that makes them different.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #580 on: March 17, 2016, 11:47:05 AM »
I love Adam's control over feedback and overall impact his playing has on atmosphere :hefdaddy
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #581 on: March 17, 2016, 11:58:21 AM »
Couldn't agree more with ya Zant. I really think they're just tapped out and know it. I don't think they've gone as far as to just outright tell bold face lies and haven't done anything, I mean at the very least there's one pretty neat instrumental, but that's not much. Even so, I'm sure there's a remnant of an idea of an album out there, but I'm sure over time we're going to hear and see little hints and such that they're setting up for a "Well, it won't ever come out" and/or "Well, Tool is done". I'd be really surprised to see it actually release, but I don't think it'd be because of some crazy conspiracy to string along everyone, I think it'd be because they know that the album wouldn't hold a candle to their past work and at this point even if it could, it'd be blown out by the dipshit, batshit crazy fans and their massive fucking pedestal they've put these men on. Half the problem is the insane fans and the other half is the band themselves. But yeah, more and more it's leaning on the band what with their interviews, the teasing, the predictions on when it'll be out.

Who knows? And at this point (other than the aforementioned twats), who cares? I doubt it'll ever release but if it does, it'll absolutely be an interesting experience regardless of whether it sucks or is amazing. I've been over them for a while now and it's become this kind of cultish aspect from the fans' perspective that they're still this massively talented machine. It's more like they're an artist who has a few really amazing paintings and everyone is expecting another one and then he draws some stick figures fucking each other and calls it a day.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #582 on: March 18, 2016, 12:34:40 PM »
This new tool album is the Half-Life 3 of the music world.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #583 on: March 18, 2016, 05:16:15 PM »
Honestly and truly.

Except at least Gabe and Valve aren't like "Oh yeah, toates, HL3 is coming right along"

*THREE YEARS LATER*

"Y'know, we're having a really hard time getting this new Headcrab design down"

*ONE YEAR LATER*

"Our Headcrab voice actor just quit on us. We're trying. I just want this fucking game done. DONE."

*FIVE YEARS LATER*

"Yeah Half Life 3 isn't coming out."

RIP DTP.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #584 on: March 18, 2016, 06:20:56 PM »
So it's the second Chinese Democracy then.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #585 on: March 18, 2016, 06:22:54 PM »
So it's the second Chinese Democracy then.

But at least that album did eventually happen.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #586 on: March 18, 2016, 06:53:36 PM »
Yeah, but for a long time, it seemed to be something between a myth and a punchline. I remember a music mag doing an article of things that have happened since Axl Rose announced the Chinese Democracy, purposely hyperbolic stuff like "Pearl Jam have released 74 live albums". I don't even like Guns n Roses, but when that album was released, I remember walking into a music store and seeing it and thinking, wow, it actually exists. It was like seeing Bigfoot sitting in a cafe.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #587 on: March 18, 2016, 07:00:28 PM »
Whether we get a new album or not, they've kinda shot themselves in the foot at this point. They could have gone out a long time ago and said the truth, but they've kept saying "yeah sure, we're working on music" for almost 10 years, which clearly isn't the case. Maybe it would be better for themselves not to release another album? If they did, I think people would expect an album even better than Lateralus or Aenima, because it's been 10 years in the progress, and there's no way current Tool could make an album that good again.

Scenario A (the most likely) is that Tool will continue to tour sporadically (whenever they need to pay their bills) and play their "best of"-setlists, and there won't be another album. They will continue talking about one in the pipeline, possibly even teasing some new riffs on tour, but ultimately nothing will come from it.

Scenario B is that we get another reunion-type of album that we have seen lately, similar to what Faith No More put out last year. One of those albums you listen to and go "oh yeah, this is pretty good I guess", but ultimately it fades away and doesn't hold up to the very best the band has put out.

Either way it's a shame. Tool is a really cool band with a unique take on Progressive Rock/Metal, but in 30 years as a band they have only managed to squeeze out 4 albums. Sure, I consider 3 of those great (or better) and the debut was solid, but it's still a shame they never built anything more on top of that. You have a lot of cult bands who put out a few amazing albums and then split up, but the frustrating part is that Tool isn't one of those bands. Tool has been active (with some pauses) and they're still very much a thing, yet their creative spark seem to have run out a long time ago. But to be fair, I think that started to show a bit on 10k Days already. As great of an album as it was, it didn't quite reach that level of Lateralus and Aenima, and parts of it did feel like going through the motions.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #588 on: March 18, 2016, 07:02:17 PM »
It's Fucking Tool.  Can't believe you don't understand.

Unless you do, and are dicking.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #589 on: March 18, 2016, 07:13:53 PM »
Yeah, but for a long time, it seemed to be something between a myth and a punchline. I remember a music mag doing an article of things that have happened since Axl Rose announced the Chinese Democracy, purposely hyperbolic stuff like "Pearl Jam have released 74 live albums". I don't even like Guns n Roses, but when that album was released, I remember walking into a music store and seeing it and thinking, wow, it actually exists. It was like seeing Bigfoot sitting in a cafe.

That's true, and that was going on...what, like 10 or 11 years? Those years being ones after it was actually initially "announced" as in "yeah we're working on a new album". People for some reason seem to think that saying "it's been *this many* years since Tool released an album" is relevant to the longevity of the new album but I think that's kind of ridiculous. It's more appropriate to at least go by when the album was initially announced or even teased, so about...6 or 7 years? Tops? Maybe I'm misremembering though, but I can't remember hearing about anything of an actual "we're working on it" announcement before 2010...I wanted to say 2009 but I don't think even then.

It's still got a while before it's in the league of CD. It's just that for some reason Tool seems to have this aura about the band that just feel like they're fucking with people. Which is one they've cultivated for quite some time. So while it's a little different, yeah...definitely apropos. At least it's on its way to becoming the next CD but it's still a ways off. It's definitely similar for me in regards to whether or not I think (or thought in CD's case) that it will be released. Definitely not only didn't think CD would ever be released but after a while just forgot about it completely (and also completely moved on from GnR, granted). In the same way, I'm kind of past my Tool phase and while I still really love some tunes, it ends there. Even if this thing releases, I can't possibly imagine me doing anything but checking this out for sheer curiosity. If I end up loving the hell out of it and it's amazing, all the better; if it's shit, well there ya go; and if it never releases, it was expected.   :lol

It's Fucking Tool.  Can't believe you don't understand.

Unless you do, and are dicking.

Wait...what....does this mean?  :lol
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 07:32:33 PM by TioJorge »

RIP DTP.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #590 on: March 20, 2016, 10:07:17 AM »
I have no idea. Don't even remember posting that.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #591 on: March 20, 2016, 11:52:47 AM »
 :lol :yarr

RIP DTP.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #592 on: March 21, 2016, 06:21:51 AM »

Actually....not hyperbole.  That really happened. 

In 2000 Pearl Jam officially released every show they played on the Binaural Tour to record stores.   I believe there were actually 72 of them, so it was off by a couple, but still... 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: March 21, 2016, 01:48:54 PM »
Yeah to stop fans getting ripped off by terrible bootlegs.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: April 08, 2016, 06:27:12 AM »