Author Topic: THE Tool Thread  (Read 86295 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: THE Tool Thread
« Reply #280 on: February 09, 2012, 02:29:41 PM »

My only real complaint was the whole MJK singing from the very back of the stage, standing pretty still and barely interacting with the audience. I knew going in that he was going to do that, so it wasn't a surprise, but its still makes me wish I saw them back in the Undertow/Aenima days.

Eh,  it's his way.  Anytime I've seem him he's actually been quite animated, though.  It's just hard to tell only seeing him in silhouette. 

MJK has said in the past that the reason he bolts the second after the last song is because he doesn't want to detract well deserved attention from the other three guys,  which I think is perfectly valid.   That's probably a big part of his staying in the background, as well.   I'm sure plenty of people are like me,  and find Carey, Chancellor and Jones every bit as interesting to watch as Keenan (more so, in Carey's case).  Yet weird fuck that he is,  MJK gets all the attention.  Personally,  I kind of like the fact that he relegates himself to a lesser position.  Plenty of people assume the singer is by default the front man,  and that's kind of uncool towards a group of equals.  The other guys work their asses off,  and play incredibly well every night,  yet the guy who paints himself blue is the star of the show.  Since he also craves a bit of anonymity,  it works out well for everybody.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #281 on: February 09, 2012, 02:37:06 PM »
You know, if that is the case, then my respect for Maynard has definitely been bumped up a bit from considering him nothing but an "egotistical douchewaffle".
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #282 on: February 09, 2012, 02:46:55 PM »
It's just speculation on my part,  but I know that's what he's said about not sticking around for ovations and applause after the shows.

The other part of it is that I figure he just doesn't like Tool's fans a whole lot.  Everybody at the shows likes to think they're the enlightened ones,  but let's face it,  most aren't.  A lot of assholes really get into Tool.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #283 on: February 09, 2012, 02:56:34 PM »
Oh ain't that the truth. When I saw them two years ago, I had to put up with this real asshole the entire show. He was this big, pseudo-masculine prick who kept yelling in my face (directly in my face. Didn't flinch once. I gave no fucks.) because I wouldn't smoke weed with him. The fucker lost his pipe half way through the show, so he fuckin' deserved it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #284 on: February 09, 2012, 03:21:25 PM »
Oh ain't that the truth. When I saw them two years ago, I had to put up with this real asshole the entire show. He was this big, pseudo-masculine prick who kept yelling in my face (directly in my face. Didn't flinch once. I gave no fucks.) because I wouldn't smoke weed with him. The fucker lost his pipe half way through the show, so he fuckin' deserved it.
Yeah,  seen a few of those guys.  Tool,  much like Pantera did,  tends to attract a hyper-aggressive type of asshole to their shows.  Angry music which the crank and Budweiser, white trash set finds totally fucking bad ass!
E.F. Benson

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: February 09, 2012, 03:46:20 PM »
For Tool though, I honestly don't get it. I mean, half of their music is hardly even remotely aggressive. Do those types of people just pretend it's not apart of their discography?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #286 on: February 09, 2012, 03:49:30 PM »
It's just speculation on my part,  but I know that's what he's said about not sticking around for ovations and applause after the shows.

The other part of it is that I figure he just doesn't like Tool's fans a whole lot.  Everybody at the shows likes to think they're the enlightened ones,  but let's face it,  most aren't.  A lot of assholes really get into Tool.

Totally agree. There was this drunk guy who kept screaming "MAYNARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" the whole damn show, even during slower songs and keep in mind that we were all the way back in the nosebleeds too. It was driving me nuts.

Thinking about it a little more, I guess if I was MJK, I would want to get as far back on the stage too.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: March 19, 2012, 10:21:02 AM »
TOOL Drummer Hoping To Enter Studio In June/July - Mar. 19, 2012 

Vic Firth has uploaded an "Artist Spotlight" video feature on TOOL  drummer Danny Carey, featuring interview clips and footage from the band's January 28 concert at TD Banknorth Garden in Boston, Massachusetts. During the chat, Carey revealed that he was hoping TOOL would enter the studio in June/July to begin recording its new album.

https://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=171417
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: March 19, 2012, 10:21:55 AM »
So that kinda rules out a 2012 album, doesn't it.  Even if he enters the studio, that doesn't mean they'll make music.  Maybe they'll just drink a bunch.  :lol

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: March 19, 2012, 10:37:29 AM »
Keenan 2016
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #290 on: March 19, 2012, 12:18:24 PM »
So that kinda rules out a 2012 album, doesn't it.  Even if he enters the studio, that doesn't mean they'll make music.  Maybe they'll just drink a bunch.  :lol
Or write the next 4 pieces of nonsensical bullshit that is their monthly newsletters.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: March 19, 2012, 01:04:46 PM »
I read somewhere that they've already entered the studio and are in the process of writing songs (this was before they announced the tour).
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: March 21, 2012, 10:48:51 AM »
At the rate they are going, I wouldn't be surprised if this was their last album .

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #293 on: March 21, 2012, 11:45:23 AM »
It really feels like Tool struggles to write good music. Don't get me wrong, the result on the album is normally great, but if it takes 5-6 years to write 60-70 minutes of good material, then that's pretty bad. Most people even think 10k Days has 15-20 minutes of badness, so yeah.
Compare that to The Dear Hunter, that has made more songs then Tool (in their entire career) in just 4-5 years, and it has all been great quality-wise.  :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #294 on: March 21, 2012, 12:08:42 PM »
It really feels like Tool struggles to write good music. Don't get me wrong, the result on the album is normally great, but if it takes 5-6 years to write 60-70 minutes of good material, then that's pretty bad. Most people even think 10k Days has 15-20 minutes of badness, so yeah.
Compare that to The Dear Hunter, that has made more songs then Tool (in their entire career) in just 4-5 years, and it has all been great quality-wise.  :lol

My issue with the album is that its a hard album to listen to from beginning to end due to its length and that 15-20 minutes that should have been trimmed.

Lipan conjuring has no business on the album IMO and viginti tres is just unfocused sound, so right there is 6 minutes.

and

Despite its very personal subject matter I wish they would have trimmed (wings Pt 2) and had Wings for Marie part 1 just transition into The Pot. I like the flow of the album much better that way.

Wings part 1 is slow, but in a good way and it doesn't overstay its welcome. It brings the quality and knows when to finish, where as Wing part 2 just drags for me.

I listen to the album way more often since I trimmed those songs. Thank you Ipod.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 12:34:21 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #296 on: March 21, 2012, 12:54:41 PM »
Wings part 2 is fantastic indeed. Best on 10k days for me.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #297 on: March 21, 2012, 01:44:33 PM »
Wings Pt. 2 is indeed glorious.....but so is Vicarious and Right In Two.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: March 21, 2012, 02:53:26 PM »
Lipan Conjuring is the best of Tool's "filler songs"

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #299 on: March 21, 2012, 03:58:00 PM »
if anything, they coulda shoulda woulda just trimmed off wings part 1.
isnt that whole dynamic build up essentially done again in wings part 2?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #300 on: April 11, 2012, 04:03:47 PM »
https://www.toolband.com/index_frames.html

An unprecedented tool News Update.

It contains Both News AND Tool ...

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #301 on: April 12, 2012, 01:07:48 PM »
Lateralus is an incredible album. Unfortunately, I don't think the others are quite on the same level quality-wise. Also, I can't stand trying to comb through that pile of shit they call the 'news'
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: April 13, 2012, 09:09:25 AM »
" Great news ! Adam or someone has been somewhere and done something or hasn't But it may have been that he might have found a rock or bit of old quartz or coral or something ( or neither ) that may have been once owned by someone or nobody that may have once thought he might have visited Egypt centuries ago by the process of bullshit-latin-made-up-shit !!!!!! This discovery means absolutely nothing or everything to whoever did or didnt find it !!! STAY TUNED !!  ( also Danny ate a burger ) "

Yeah that's Tool news in a nutshell !

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: April 13, 2012, 05:15:47 PM »
Didn't Maynard put out an update like last June or something saying there will be new music in exactly 1 year time??
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: April 13, 2012, 05:29:57 PM »
I think he was joking about the Rapture date.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: April 13, 2012, 06:23:25 PM »
Viginti Tres and Wings for Marie pt. 1 need to be on the album so they can fuse with 10,000 Days to make the super-song.

Oh, and 10,000 Days is fast becoming one of my favorite Tool songs.  "BRING ME THE SPIRIT THE SON AND THE FATHER, TELL THEM THEIR PILLAR OF FAITH HAS ASCENDED"  Truly beautiful.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: April 14, 2012, 04:49:46 AM »
^ I don't buy that. I've heard "proof" that it syncs up but it just. sounds. terrible.

Seriously, if you're gonna make songs sync up - at least make them NOT sound like a cluttered mess when you do.

Some people also believe there'e a "correct" order to listen to Lateralus.

FFS - If there was a correct order they'd have sequenced it like that - and not make the album flow perfectly as it does now.

Tool Fans.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #307 on: April 14, 2012, 05:24:58 AM »
Viginti Tres and Wings for Marie pt. 1 need to be on the album so they can fuse with 10,000 Days to make the super-song.

Oh, and 10,000 Days is fast becoming one of my favorite Tool songs.  "BRING ME THE SPIRIT THE SON AND THE FATHER, TELL THEM THEIR PILLAR OF FAITH HAS ASCENDED"  Truly beautiful.

Not to be a complete ass, but it's actually "fetch me the spirit.." but otherwise I agree that it's one of the best Tool moments, 10k days (the song) as a whole is just amazing.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #308 on: April 14, 2012, 07:01:34 AM »
^ I don't buy that. I've heard "proof" that it syncs up but it just. sounds. terrible.

Seriously, if you're gonna make songs sync up - at least make them NOT sound like a cluttered mess when you do.

I dunno, I think it works pretty well (the first half at least, I agree that its a little bit messy for the second).  I'm sure if WFM1 and Viginti Tres weren't on the album I wouldn't miss it though.  Its not really as mindblowing as some people make it out to be. :P

@Zantera: whoops  :lol  At least I confused it with a word that means the same thing.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: April 14, 2012, 09:01:10 AM »

Some people also believe there'e a "correct" order to listen to Lateralus.

FFS - If there was a correct order they'd have sequenced it like that - and not make the album flow perfectly as it does now.

Tool Fans.

this entire post.

the only reason anyone thinks the "Wings"/"Viginti" bullshit is true is because of Blair saying there is a secret on the album and no one has found it. all it takes is one guy — repeatedly proven to be full of shit! — posting news articles on their website to get everyone's head up their asses like usual.

(nothing specific to skydivingninja there!)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: April 14, 2012, 09:58:33 AM »
I used to talk to someone who believed every bit of Tool bullshit going. That you should start at the middle of Lateralus and work your way outwards.

So Faiip De Oiad or whatever its called is smack bang in the middle of the album and songs fade in then cut to something else...

Oh and let's not forget the best one..That 10,000 Days is not a REAL album, even though they took 5 years to make it and toured it extensively.

:facepalm:

" Hey Guys - let's make an album of some of our best songs of our career but it's not an actual album ! We'll release it in ludicrously expensive packaging and tour the arse off it but we won't tell anyone it's not ACTUALLY our new album !!! "

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: April 14, 2012, 10:54:45 AM »
" Great news ! Adam or someone has been somewhere and done something or hasn't But it may have been that he might have found a rock or bit of old quartz or coral or something ( or neither ) that may have been once owned by someone or nobody that may have once thought he might have visited Egypt centuries ago by the process of bullshit-latin-made-up-shit !!!!!! This discovery means absolutely nothing or everything to whoever did or didnt find it !!! STAY TUNED !!  ( also Danny ate a burger ) "

Yeah that's Tool news in a nutshell !
You forgot the bit where they tell us about every bar the band members went to this month where they watched their "buddy" play on stage and even joined in for a song or two after a couple of drinks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: April 15, 2012, 08:23:20 AM »
Insightful, insightful shit.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #313 on: April 15, 2012, 10:57:25 AM »
tool is so weird.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #314 on: April 15, 2012, 07:49:25 PM »

I ain't familiar with TDH but I couldn't agree more with your post, Ronnie van Zantera. An overwhelming majority of their shit is written primarily using just D, F, G, and G# with the occasional inclusion of A and C (as far as the main riffs of their songs are concerned.) You'd think if they could stop being such one trick ponies, melodically speaking, they'd be able to get an album out every 2-3 years.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon