Author Topic: THE Tool Thread  (Read 86286 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: THE Tool Thread
« Reply #595 on: April 08, 2016, 06:40:45 AM »
Maybe it's true, maybe it's not. But the news aside, Adam Jones says a lot of their music comes from getting together and jamming, and it's just mindboggling to me that a tight group of friends (who are in a band together since 20 years) can't find the time in 10 years to get together, jam it out, get a few song ideas over a weekend.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #596 on: April 08, 2016, 01:57:16 PM »
Yeah in Kotow we jammed pretty much every day and came up with new ideas pretty much every day

And a new song at worst once a week.

We tried to play one new song at every gig.

Tool haven't finished writing an album in nearly ten years.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #597 on: May 03, 2016, 06:22:10 PM »
Just a reminder that 10,000 Days turned 10 a few days ago...

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #598 on: May 03, 2016, 07:55:17 PM »
Just a reminder that 10,000 Days turned 10 a few days ago...

Wow, 10 years old, bloody hell!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #599 on: May 04, 2016, 06:43:07 AM »
And they don't even have 80 minutes of new music :rollin :rollin.

I have a full time job and I still put out over 80 minutes of music every year ... It's mad that a band with their own studio and fuck loads of free time can't write a single CDs worth of music

in a fucking decade.

The last time Tool put out a new studio album - Death Magnetic was still 2 years away :lol

Offline EraVulgaris

« Reply #600 on: May 04, 2016, 06:48:22 AM »
Rumors have it that the next Tool album will be the soundtrack for Half Life 3

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #601 on: May 04, 2016, 06:54:54 AM »
And it will only be available on a brand new format which will replace CD.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #602 on: May 06, 2016, 10:37:28 AM »

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #603 on: May 06, 2016, 10:57:33 AM »
Nice! What's the album gonna be called?

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #604 on: May 06, 2016, 12:10:58 PM »
Nice! What's the album gonna be called?

Animals.

Oh wait....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #605 on: May 06, 2016, 12:13:55 PM »
"Maynard Loves The Pork"

Released on The 12th of Nevercember.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #606 on: May 06, 2016, 05:15:27 PM »
And they don't even have 80 minutes of new music :rollin :rollin.

I have a full time job and I still put out over 80 minutes of music every year ... It's mad that a band with their own studio and fuck loads of free time can't write a single CDs worth of music

in a fucking decade.

The last time Tool put out a new studio album - Death Magnetic was still 2 years away :lol

This is purely speculation but I feel with Tool it's hard to get all the members to get interested in writing and recording at the same time. All of the members are loaded and have side projects, hell Maynard has his vineyard and Puscifer.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #607 on: May 06, 2016, 05:17:07 PM »
For me - taking so long would make me itchy as fuck to put new music out and to write and jam.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #608 on: May 06, 2016, 05:32:34 PM »
hell Maynard has his vineyard and Puscifer.

Plus he doesn't give a single fuck.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #609 on: May 06, 2016, 05:41:55 PM »
hell Maynard has his vineyard and Puscifer.

Plus he doesn't give a single fuck.

And if they were smart - neither would Tool fans.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #610 on: May 06, 2016, 07:09:56 PM »
do people even think another tool album would even be any good, 10,000 Days already shows heavy signs of their sound just wearing thin, it's no wonder they haven't released anything bcuz they probably realized there was nothing more worth releasing in that vein

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #611 on: May 06, 2016, 07:17:56 PM »
Yeah, but for a long time, it seemed to be something between a myth and a punchline. I remember a music mag doing an article of things that have happened since Axl Rose announced the Chinese Democracy, purposely hyperbolic stuff like "Pearl Jam have released 74 live albums". I don't even like Guns n Roses, but when that album was released, I remember walking into a music store and seeing it and thinking, wow, it actually exists. It was like seeing Bigfoot sitting in a cafe.

Actually....not hyperbole.  That really happened. 

In 2000 Pearl Jam officially released every show they played on the Binaural Tour to record stores.   I believe there were actually 72 of them, so it was off by a couple, but still... 
Oh, I know it’s true. I have one of those 70-something live albums. I just meant it’s hyperbole to state something like that as a gauge of how long the album’s been in the works since it’s obviously an extreme exception that a band releases 70 live albums.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #612 on: May 06, 2016, 07:21:48 PM »
do people even think another tool album would even be any good, 10,000 Days already shows heavy signs of their sound just wearing thin, it's no wonder they haven't released anything bcuz they probably realized there was nothing more worth releasing in that vein

And the more they draw it out, the more I doubt the album's gonna be that great.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: May 07, 2016, 04:09:02 AM »

Yes. A lot of that album sounded like old songs re hashed.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #614 on: May 07, 2016, 08:10:24 AM »
It's basically confirmed that will happen. The new song "Descending" they were playing on tour just sounds like the alt arrangement of "Pushit" among several other songs.

They have one style and it peaked on Lateralus. The only places left are offkilter shit like the talkbox solo in "Jambi."

Offline Cable

« Reply #615 on: May 07, 2016, 08:18:24 AM »
It's basically confirmed that will happen. The new song "Descending" they were playing on tour just sounds like the alt arrangement of "Pushit" among several other songs.

They have one style and it peaked on Lateralus. The only places left are offkilter shit like the talkbox solo in "Jambi."

Which is funny why the band is viewed as the pinnacle of the art of rock. Adam Jones has milked drop D to its absolute near death. While his style is his own, and he writes great riffs, they are not that far off each other.
---

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #616 on: May 07, 2016, 08:53:43 AM »
Adam is easily the least talented musician in the band. Justin and Danny are phenomenal. TOOL are all about that rhythm section.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #617 on: May 07, 2016, 08:55:09 AM »

I think this another issue as well, how do you write Tool while staying fresh and not rearranging past riffs.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #618 on: May 07, 2016, 10:40:26 AM »
A new tuning would help.

:p

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #619 on: May 07, 2016, 11:13:24 AM »
Adam is easily the least talented musician in the band. Justin and Danny are phenomenal. TOOL are all about that rhythm section.

Umm... Maynard?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #620 on: May 07, 2016, 11:17:45 AM »
That has really been my concern all along, Tool never felt like a band with amazing creative juices or anything. Aenima and Lateralus were amazing, but it became clear on 10K Days that the band was essentially running out of ideas. It had some IMO cool experiments like Jambi, which is definitely a stand out, and the title track felt pretty unique as a really good ballad that eventually explodes. But parts of 10K Days also felt very B-Sides quality, like ideas that were leftover because they weren't good enough for Lateralus, but then when it became time for a new album, they didn't really have anything else, so they used it anyway.

You have certain musicians like Steven Wilson who just keeps putting out albums over the years. Whether it's PT, Blackfield, Bass Communion, No-Man, Solo, he always has ideas and a lot of them are good. I don't love everything he has done, but if he puts out a sub-par album, there is usually a good one to redeem it 12 months later. With Tool, even in their glory days they struggled to come up with a lot of material. Sure, the band is pretty busy now and there are side projects, other interests and so on, but going back to their prime around Aenima/Lateralus when the band was at their peak, even that period is scarse with material. You have one album every five years and they haven't exactly been putting out EPs or B-Side releases either. It's almost like it takes Tool a good 5 years to fill a bucket of ideas that will be just enough for a new album, then the vault is completely drained of ideas and they need another 5 years. But I guess it has been 10 years this time.  :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #621 on: May 07, 2016, 12:31:38 PM »
10,000 days is alright. I loved it when it was released. Think I'll revisit it again, it's been quite awhile.

I don't think it's a problem of ideas. Since, they are a rhythm based band, plus they tend to play in the lower ends of music with Adam basically coloring in with textures and sounds. Also, Danny uses some interesting patterns that reflect his tabla and spiritual music leanings, like monk chants.

I don't know. Nor do I care when they release their next album. I do know I'll buy it instantly.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #622 on: May 07, 2016, 01:18:18 PM »
Read my mind, Ben.

I myself quite like 10kD, and some of the often labeled filler tracks are the ones I enjoy most. Either way this new album business goes, if it releases at all that is and if this isn't one really hilarious, awesome butt-fucking of the fans, then I'll pick it up if for nothing else, out of sheer curiosity.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #623 on: May 07, 2016, 01:49:17 PM »
10,000 Days was all the rage when I first signed up for DT.net in 2006. Now it isn't that great?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #624 on: May 07, 2016, 02:09:28 PM »

Umm... Maynard?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: May 07, 2016, 02:13:57 PM »
Read my mind, Ben.

I myself quite like 10kD, and some of the often labeled filler tracks are the ones I enjoy most. Either way this new album business goes, if it releases at all that is and if this isn't one really hilarious, awesome butt-fucking of the fans, then I'll pick it up if for nothing else, out of sheer curiosity.

The segues on 10,000 Days aren't quite as shit or pointless as the 5 or so on Aenima.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #626 on: May 07, 2016, 03:20:57 PM »
Vocalists not being musicians is something I can actually get behind :neverusethis:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #627 on: May 07, 2016, 03:28:48 PM »
vocalists are musicians

also i've tried listening to aenima and i kind of hate it tbh, way too "edgy" and unappealing for me

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #628 on: May 07, 2016, 03:32:44 PM »
vocalists are musicians

also i've tried listening to aenima and i kind of hate it tbh, way too "edgy" and unappealing for me
Try harder, it's their best ;)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #629 on: May 07, 2016, 04:05:12 PM »
nah. i'm done with tool tbh. not worth it when there's so much better music to check out