Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 413427 times)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance (with Cover Art)
« Reply #1086 on: June 19, 2013, 09:04:52 AM »
Listening now.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1088 on: June 19, 2013, 09:07:28 AM »
Yes the drums in the intro yes deeper growls in verses yes THAT CHORUS yes those solos HOLY FUCK MATT GREAT JOB ON THAT SOLO yes the breathy bridge eeeeeeeeeeeeeh

It's like Static Impulse but twice as good.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1089 on: June 19, 2013, 09:09:43 AM »
On first listen, not bad. Not the most distinctive or original song, but I liked it enough that I'd listen to an album of it. The keyboard/guitar solo section reminded me of EoP. I was a little wary of it at first, but I enjoyed the screams on this track more than I did on Static Impulse. Deeper and growlier.

I'd say this raised my interest in the album a bit. :)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1090 on: June 19, 2013, 09:11:16 AM »
That was pretty radular

Offline Metrovarium

• Lord Tarp
  • SPAAAAAACE
« Reply #1091 on: June 19, 2013, 09:15:52 AM »
Very nice song, it's like all the parts of Static Impulse that I'm not actually tired of by now :P. Not that I didn't like Static Impulse - I just grew tired of it after a while. In any case, I'm certainly more excited for this album now.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1092 on: June 19, 2013, 09:16:24 AM »
It's a good song, but at the moment I'd rate it below every song from Static Impulse. But it's just the first song, and my anticipation for this album has not withered. :tup

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1093 on: June 19, 2013, 09:16:45 AM »
Sounds good :metal

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1094 on: June 19, 2013, 09:18:33 AM »
Well, on first listen, it's really close to the material on SI but I can also hear a closeness to EoP. Like it but will have to listen to it more to have a definit(iv)e opinion.

B.Lee

PS : Am I the only one thinking it, or Matt has gone for the Derek Sherinian look? ;D

"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1095 on: June 19, 2013, 09:19:20 AM »
It's a good song, but at the moment I'd rate it below every song from Static Impulse.
I'd actually rate it above all of them, with the possible exception of This Is War.
Kind of floored in here, didn't expect that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1096 on: June 19, 2013, 09:20:24 AM »
Very nice song, it's like all the parts of Static Impulse that I'm not actually tired of by now :P. Not that I didn't like Static Impulse - I just grew tired of it after a while. In any case, I'm certainly more excited for this album now.

I was tired of Static Impulse on first listen because of the shrieks. Only ever listened to the whole album 2 or 3 times.

I'm relieved to hear deeper growls on this track. Hopefully it's like that on every track that uses them, because I like these! I just finished my third listen. I can see myself really enjoying this album if it's all like this.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1097 on: June 19, 2013, 09:22:41 AM »
I like the screams on Static Impulse, but I think Peter's vocals sound even better here, probably because I usually prefer deeper growls like this to screaming.

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1098 on: June 19, 2013, 09:23:33 AM »
I like everything about the song aside from the growls  :\ I'm thinking they might grow on me though.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1099 on: June 19, 2013, 09:25:16 AM »
Late to the party, but this rocks!  :metal :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1100 on: June 19, 2013, 09:25:31 AM »
It's a good song, but at the moment I'd rate it below every song from Static Impulse.
I'd actually rate it above all of them, with the possible exception of This Is War.
Kind of floored in here, didn't expect that.

I prefer this to everything on SI except for Jekyll or Hyde, and One More Time sans the shrieks. That song had a killer chorus, but I can't stand those verses at all, unfortunately.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1101 on: June 19, 2013, 09:25:54 AM »

:metal :metal

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1102 on: June 19, 2013, 09:28:54 AM »
Yeah, I'd say this is definitely on par with the best of Static Impulse.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1103 on: June 19, 2013, 09:35:14 AM »
Sounds like Static Impulse, with a slightly more polished and arranged vibe, which is definitely not a bad thing. James' vocals are mixed in with the other instruments much better than they were with Static Impulse or A Dramatic Turn of Events.

Judging my Matt's comments, I'm really curious to know how involved JLB is with these albums. It sounds like the band write and record everything, and then just send James to add his vocals. Which is cool, not really what you expect for a "solo" record, but I guess if that kind of arrangement doesn't make anyone in the band feel devalued, then who cares?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1104 on: June 19, 2013, 09:36:00 AM »
I fucking loved this shit. This is exactly the type of sound I wanted them to pursue, and they did it. Happy me.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1105 on: June 19, 2013, 09:42:42 AM »
 :metal

Nice! I will purchase the album for sure. Great song Matt...be sure to give James our congratulations!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1106 on: June 19, 2013, 09:44:39 AM »
:hearts:

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #1107 on: June 19, 2013, 09:50:45 AM »
JAMES LABRIE – New album’s opening track launched online; Tracklisting revealed!

Dream Theater’s Jame LaBrie is back with a powerful new studio album effort entitled
“Impermanent Resonance”, to be released on July 29th, 2013 in Europe
and August 6th, 2013 in North America via InsideOutMusic.

The new album’s dynamic opening track, “Agony”, is now available to be checked out via the website of UK’s Metal Hammer magazine here:
https://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/exclusive-we-have-a-track-from-dream-theater-legend-james-labries-new-album-right-here

James LaBrie comments about “Agony” as follows:

“I am completely over the top with 'Impermanent Resonance' and here is its first single, ‘Agony’. I am more than sure that you will be banging your head and your blood will be coursing through you like jet fuel. As far as I am concerned this is only a teaser to 11 other tracks that will take you for a dynamic and emotional ride.
Crank this song and Raaaaaaaawk!”

Matt Guillory, LaBrie’s songwriting partner for over a dozen years now and keyboardist / background vocalist on “Impermanent Resonance” added as follows:

“Stylistically, I think ‘Agony’ is an interesting blend of melodic death metal and pop - from the riffing and blast beats interspersed in the intro, to where it really opens up melodically in the chorus. I like the pop-influenced interplay of the lead vocal and the keyboards that occur in the verse and chorus. This was a real fun collaboration with Peter Wichers. It's got a little bit of everything.”
Next to James LaBrie and Matt Guillory, the line-up on this diverse and extremely entertaining new album also features Marco Sfogli from Italy on guitar, Ray Riendeau (Halford, Machines of Loving Grace) on bass and Dream Theater audition’s finalist Peter Wildoer (Darkane, Majestic, Arch Enemy, etc.) from Sweden on drums, making it the same line-up for the group as on the previous, much acclaimed album, “Static Impulse”, from 2010. Furthermore, former Soilwork guitarist Peter Wichers was also added to the fold for songwriting and guitar recording contributions.

“Impermanent Resonance” was once again mixed and mastered at Sweden’s Fascination Street recording studios (Kreator, Opeth, Paradise Lost, etc.) with Jens Bogren and this time also Tony Lindgren, while artwork duties were handled by Gustavo Sazes / abstrata.net (Arch Enemy, Firewind, Kamelot, etc.).

The album’s tracklisting will be the following:

James LaBrie – “Impermanent Resonance”

1. Agony
2. Undertow
3. Slight Of Hand
4. Back On The Ground
5. I Got You
6. Holding On
7. Lost In The Fire
8. Letting Go
9. Destined To Burn
10. Say You're Still Mine
11. Amnesia
12. I Will Not Break

More details about “Impermanent Resonance” will be available soon…

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1108 on: June 19, 2013, 09:52:39 AM »
It's overall a lot more polished and organized than "One More Time". It's like they took what they got on Static Impulse and perfected it. At first I didn't like the guitar sound, but overall I like what I hear. Makes me really hyped for the rest of the album.

:metal

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #1109 on: June 19, 2013, 09:53:25 AM »
I like everything about the song aside from the growls  :\ I'm thinking they might grow on me though.

...Says the one with a Mikael Åkerfeldt avatar.  :rollin

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1110 on: June 19, 2013, 09:56:22 AM »
Solid song, can't wait for the album!!!

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #1111 on: June 19, 2013, 09:59:58 AM »

...Says the one with a Mikael Åkerfeldt avatar.  :rollin

You're right, I like Opeth so that must mean I like every kind of growl no matter who the vocalist is.  ::)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1112 on: June 19, 2013, 10:06:11 AM »
Sounds like Static Impulse, with a slightly more polished and arranged vibe, which is definitely not a bad thing.
Yeah, I'd apply everything I wrote on Static Impulse on Agony too, which is also eerily similar to how Matt described the track in the press release :lol

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1113 on: June 19, 2013, 10:14:16 AM »
This song is really good. I wasnt able to listen to SI much because it didnt age well with me. So lets hope this one does  :metal

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1114 on: June 19, 2013, 10:16:51 AM »
I paused Sentient 6 by Nevermore to hear Agony. And I'm glad I did. Great single and I think it's getting progressively better and better (intro isn't that good IMO).
That 2nd song, Undertow, must be killer like any other Undertow (PoS, Tool, Chroma Key) :biggrin:
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Vivace

« Reply #1115 on: June 19, 2013, 10:16:59 AM »
Yeah, this is a very good song. Matt and James nailed it with this one. It takes elements of Static Impulse and expands the ideas into a newer territory of melody. James is particularly excellent in this song and the guitar work is just stellar. 
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1116 on: June 19, 2013, 10:17:30 AM »
That 2nd song, Undertow, must be killer like any other Undertow (PoS, Tool, Chroma Key) :biggrin:
Why yes, songs named Undertow are usually good songs :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1117 on: June 19, 2013, 10:32:36 AM »
Wow,  it really is an excellent continuation of SI. Loved the melodies and the pop mixed with heavy. The chorus has a great ascending pop melody that really lifts the song. I like it and can't wait for the album
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1118 on: June 19, 2013, 10:41:31 AM »
Judging my Matt's comments, I'm really curious to know how involved JLB is with these albums. It sounds like the band write and record everything, and then just send James to add his vocals. Which is cool, not really what you expect for a "solo" record, but I guess if that kind of arrangement doesn't make anyone in the band feel devalued, then who cares?

The whole "solo" label is something we've been dealing with since EOP. It's quite understandable that there might be some confusion about it. Despite them being marketed as a James LaBrie "solo" records, the truth of the matter is that they're really not. This is just as much my record as it is James'. James has a "marquee" name and his history as being the frontman for DT is used to promote the music. That's not to say that James isn't part of the creative process. He definitely is. (He mainly contribute lyrics). Just want to clear that up. :)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1119 on: June 19, 2013, 10:43:16 AM »
I'm already immensely enjoying this. The chorus is insanely catchy, especially the one after the instrumental, with LaBrie's lower vocals. I'm seriously going to spin this all night.

And by the way, this has to be the first time since On the backs of angels came out that I actually cared to go online and check out a new song the moment it got uploaded, I played it at 5:00 exactly.  :metal