Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 411200 times)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: James LaBrie's Static Impulse/solo material discussion
« Reply #805 on: January 03, 2013, 03:58:55 PM »
I think they'll surprise you ;) I remember them considering playing it before the SI tour plans crashed.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #806 on: January 03, 2013, 04:00:52 PM »
I think they'll surprise you ;) I remember them considering playing it before the SI tour plans crashed.

I hope so. Of course I doubt I'll ever see them since I'll be in Israel after July and I doubt they'll ever come there.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #807 on: January 03, 2013, 04:07:24 PM »
James said that the band could play songs from Mullmuzzlers and he even asked to his fans which songs must be played at the tour via his twitter account but as all you know, the tour has been canceled. So hopefully there will be at least 2-3 songs from Mullmuzzler for the coming tour.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #808 on: January 03, 2013, 04:08:31 PM »
i think i mentioned it pages ago: mullmuzzler 2 is the best of them. it never hurts having members of shadow gallery help with the writing/recording of one's album.

M2 > EOP > SI > M1

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #809 on: January 03, 2013, 09:13:16 PM »
Yea James asked if we wanted to hear newer material and DT covers, or like new and old material or someththing like that. I am pretty sure he was going to dive into Mlmzr 1/2.

Speaking of that... if the JLB band were to pull out a DT cover, what do you think could get pulled off nicely? I've been wondering this for years now
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online Adami

« Reply #810 on: January 03, 2013, 09:15:26 PM »
Yea James asked if we wanted to hear newer material and DT covers, or like new and old material or someththing like that. I am pretty sure he was going to dive into Mlmzr 1/2.

Speaking of that... if the JLB band were to pull out a DT cover, what do you think could get pulled off nicely? I've been wondering this for years now

If they do a DT cover (which I hope they don't, since I'd rather hear their material) then I hope it's a song DT hasn't played in forever. No point in playing a song DT is already playing or has played recently.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: January 03, 2013, 09:21:34 PM »
I wouldn't be upset if they played a DT song. I can't think of anything JLB pegged that would fit the JLB band sound though
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline philmcson

« Reply #812 on: January 03, 2013, 10:12:25 PM »
...................... Honor thy father?

They didn't play it neither in 2011 nor in 2012 and..... I think Peter would dig the opportunity  ;)

Online Adami

« Reply #813 on: January 03, 2013, 10:13:23 PM »
...................... Honor thy father?

Eh I hope not.

I don't know how often DT play it anymore, but they could probably do a decent version of Lie or The Mirror.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: January 03, 2013, 11:11:49 PM »
OR BOTH :JayOctavarium:

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: January 04, 2013, 03:21:44 AM »
...they could probably do a decent version of Lie or The Mirror.

OR BOTH :JayOctavarium:
Our trains of thought run similarly :metal

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #816 on: January 04, 2013, 03:26:42 AM »
HTF is a pretty personal song for MP, so I doubt we'll see DT playing it ever again.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #817 on: January 04, 2013, 03:31:11 AM »
I remember that the twitter poll that ensued resulted in the majority stating that they would rather hear an all James set. Afterwards James tweeted that he agreed with the vox populi, as playing DT songs alone would feel in a way off.

If in the past two years something has changed, I would like to see him play Anna Lee, or maybe Light Fuse And Get Away.  :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online Adami

« Reply #818 on: January 04, 2013, 03:33:30 AM »
I remember that the twitter poll that ensued resulted in the majority stating that they would rather hear an all James set. Afterwards James tweeted that he agreed with the vox populi, as playing DT songs alone would feel in a way off.

If in the past two years something has changed, I would like to see him play Anna Lee, or maybe Light Fuse And Get Away.  :)

Ohh Anna Lee would be nice.

Light Fuse would be odd since he wasn't even in the band at the time.

Although I agree with the people who voted, I would prefer to see an all James set. His music has been largely (to me anyway) better than last few DT records.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #819 on: January 04, 2013, 03:36:55 AM »
I was joking about LFGA. Of course he would never ever consider a song he just cannot sing, and not beacuse of his singing faults  :lol

I think they should play (if they chose to) a song that puts the focus of the audience on James rather than the whole band, like Anna Lee, as I said, or Wait For Sleep.

:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: January 04, 2013, 03:38:42 AM »
With 4 excellent albums to his name and a 5th on the way, there really isn't a reason to play anything from DT.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: January 04, 2013, 06:47:43 AM »
I think they should play (if they chose to) a song that puts the focus of the audience on James rather than the whole band, like Anna Lee, as I said, or Wait For Sleep.
With Peter* growling "in with the ashes" :xbones

But yeah, I agree there's no need. JLB has excellent stuff to play.

*Marco and I always refer to him as "dear Peter".

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #822 on: January 04, 2013, 06:57:22 AM »
A Nightmare to Remember? :biggrin:

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #823 on: January 05, 2013, 07:41:52 AM »
Hey, it turns out they did play some MM on the EoP tour:
Stranger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Saisk1a7sg
Venice Burning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWObuGhP4BY

Btw, those of you who are fans of Finnish metal may find the piano intro and the overall rhythm and feel of Stranger to be pretty similar to an Eternal Tears Of Sorrow song. Can't remember the song name for life, as the last time I heard them was a long time ago, but I think it was on Chaotic Beauty or Virgin And A Whore (that came out after MM2), it definitely wasn't on the later albums.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #824 on: January 12, 2013, 02:01:23 AM »
Here is what I got on my twitter this morning :

James LaBrie ‏@Piratecjs

Thanks everyone. The next JLB disc is almost at the point of recording. We will begin mid- Feb. It will superbly Raaaaawk.

Coooool!!!!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline philmcson

« Reply #825 on: January 12, 2013, 02:53:01 AM »
OK, so is it logical to conclude that DT will have finished recording by that point? Or is it more likely he meant the instrumental section will start recording and he will add his vocal input after finishing DT12 which will likely be in.... March?!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #826 on: January 12, 2013, 06:17:07 AM »
If he gets to record the vocals for DT in Canada this time as well, I don't see why wouldn't he record both at once. And even if he doesn't, he's been going back and forth from DT writing/recording sessions to home ever since he joined the band anyway. Since his album is mostly written and only needs to be recorded, I don't think he's on a tight schedule - I imagine JP is on a similar schedule for JP2.

Now imagine if even only one of their solo albums is out before the DVD is. Yikes :biggrin:
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 06:51:24 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #827 on: January 16, 2013, 10:17:58 AM »
Also, Mullmuzzler 2 is AMAZINGAMAZINGAMAZING. I don't know why on earth I didn't listen to this before. James sounds absolutely amazing.

I have Static Impulse, which aside from the great drumming is just OK. I also have a copy of EOP, which I;ve never really cared for.

BUT, with some Christmas gift cards, I decided to finally jump and I bought the two Mullmuzzler CDs along with Frameshift's Unweaving The Rainbow.

Holy crap!! James sounds AMAZING on these!!!!!!!!! Not sure why I've never checked these out over the years.
After one listen to each, I am blown away vocally. When was the last time he has sung like this on a Dream Theater album? SFAM?

Although on albums like 8V, SC, and BC&SL, James has sung flawlessly being particularly strong on SC. But really only on the BC&SL Covers disc has he really been allowed to let loose on things like TYFFMH and Stargazer, not to mention the outstanding Lily Of The Valley performance.

I was so happy to have a track like Far From Heaven and even Beneath The Surface on ADTOE, but I was really thinking that with MP gone, James would really step out and let it rip. Vocally, l was disappointed with ADTOE, not so much with the actual singing, but I was definitely let down because of my expectations for James.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline robwebster

« Reply #828 on: January 16, 2013, 05:20:44 PM »
Not sure why I've never checked these out over the years.
You said it yourself:
I have Static Impulse, which aside from the great drumming is just OK. I also have a copy of EOP, which I;ve never really cared for.

After one listen to each, I am blown away vocally. When was the last time he has sung like this on a Dream Theater album? SFAM?

[...]

I was so happy to have a track like Far From Heaven and even Beneath The Surface on ADTOE, but I was really thinking that with MP gone, James would really step out and let it rip. Vocally, l was disappointed with ADTOE, not so much with the actual singing, but I was definitely let down because of my expectations for James.
I'm not sure he's ever sung like this on a Dream Theater album. It's very weird. Solo LaBrie has a completely different voice to DT LaBrie. It's... dizzier. But more expressive. He's got a unique voice anyway, but it's like it's... more unique, which I'm aware isn't a phrase that makes much sense, but I think it applies here. He sounds Jamesier.

I wonder if it might be because he's not writing the melodies in the same way that he does for his solo projects. Or it might be the style - even the driven ones, Venice Burning, Shores of Avalon, Guardian Angel, it's not exactly metal-heavy, and the Elements of Persuasion James is a lot closer to his Dream Theater voice. It could be because he's very much the centrepiece of the Mullmuzzler albums, which he isn't in quite the same way on a Dream Theater album or even the James LaBrie albums. Either way, it's weird. And while I think it'd possibly be a trifle wearying for a whole Dream Theater album, as it's a very full-on vocal style, it's something I would like to hear brought out that little bit more.

I think he did get a little Jamesier on ADToE. I remember being struck by how On the Backs of Angels sounded a lot like what you'd get if you mixed John, Jordan and James' solo albums together. Don't hear it now, though. Can only hear... well, Dream Theater.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #829 on: January 16, 2013, 07:25:14 PM »
Solo LaBrie has a completely different voice to DT LaBrie. It's... dizzier. But more expressive. He's got a unique voice anyway, but it's like it's... more unique, which I'm aware isn't a phrase that makes much sense, but I think it applies here. He sounds Jamesier.

I wonder if it might be because he's not writing the melodies in the same way that he does for his solo projects. Or it might be the style - even the driven ones, Venice Burning, Shores of Avalon, Guardian Angel, it's not exactly metal-heavy, and the Elements of Persuasion James is a lot closer to his Dream Theater voice. It could be because he's very much the centrepiece of the Mullmuzzler albums, which he isn't in quite the same way on a Dream Theater album or even the James LaBrie albums. Either way, it's weird. And while I think it'd possibly be a trifle wearying for a whole Dream Theater album, as it's a very full-on vocal style, it's something I would like to hear brought out that little bit more.

I think he did get a little Jamesier on ADToE. I remember being struck by how On the Backs of Angels sounded a lot like what you'd get if you mixed John, Jordan and James' solo albums together. Don't hear it now, though. Can only hear... well, Dream Theater.
Dizzier is the best word ever to describe what he does there.

Online DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #830 on: February 11, 2013, 07:47:08 AM »
His vocals on Venice Burning are so intense. I love the song.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: February 11, 2013, 08:00:49 AM »
His vocals on Venice Burning are so intense. I love the song.
Totally.

We should get an update on JLB5 soon, hm?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #832 on: May 03, 2013, 03:26:56 AM »
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=189445

Late 2013 release.

Singer James LaBrie of progressive metal giants DREAM THEATER is putting the finishing touches on his new solo album for a late 2013 release. The follow-up to 2010's "Static Impulse" will feature songwriting contributions from former SOILWORK guitarist Peter Wichers as well as appearances by LaBrie's longtime songwriting partner and keyboardist Matt Guillory, Peter Wildoer from Swedish thrashers DARKANE on drums and screaming vocals; Marco Sfogli on guitar; and Ray Riendeau (HALFORD) on bass.

Says Wildoer: "Just heard the first track that Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios mixed for the new James LaBrie album.

"This album will be great!

"Matt Guillory, Marco Sfogli, Ray Riendeau and James LaBrie all set the bar really high this time and their musicianship is stunning. Matt's and Peter Wichers songwriting are also equally mindblowing.

"I had such a great time recording this album and it was a pleasure to track it with one of the best engineers around, Johan Örnborg.

"[I am] honored to be part of this band and I can't wait to hear all you guys reactions to this album!"

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #833 on: May 03, 2013, 03:35:04 AM »
I realize I may be an aberration here for saying this, but I have a keyboard and some free time so what the fuck - if the new JLB solo is ANYTHING like Static Impulse, Debbie will be a VERY happy goil.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: May 03, 2013, 03:41:26 AM »
I realize I may be an aberration here for saying this, but I have a keyboard and some free time so what the fuck - if the new JLB solo is ANYTHING like Static Impulse, Debbie will be a VERY happy goil.
I'm totally with you, girl.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #835 on: May 03, 2013, 03:41:59 AM »
Yussssssssssss :hifive:

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #836 on: May 03, 2013, 03:49:38 AM »
I fucking love Static Impulse and can't wait for this new album. Some days I think I may even be anticipating it more than the next DT release. :omg:

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #837 on: May 03, 2013, 03:53:14 AM »
I'm definitely looking forward to this way more than DT.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #838 on: May 03, 2013, 03:55:47 AM »
I'd say I'm looking forward to both about equally.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #839 on: May 03, 2013, 04:08:27 AM »
My interest in both this album and DT's is slightly diminished by their previous albums, although I'm much more optimistic about DT's next album than this one.
As soon as I got to "screaming vocals", I lost hope for this one. I like Wildoer's deep growls, but not his regular shouty vocals. Maybe Static Impulse would be an ok album if I could get past them, but I just can't at all. :dunno:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.