Author Topic: Dream Theater's 11th Album v. Play Nice  (Read 31850 times)

Offline robwebster

Re: Dream Theater's 11th Album v. Play Nice
« Reply #140 on: June 30, 2010, 05:31:57 PM »
DT should totally add more jazz in.

INTRO TO SCARRED ANYONE?!
The intro is completely awesome. Shame it goes pretty downhill after that.
I was going to say something along those lines but decided to save myself the headache.

You're a brave man.

But I agree with him, that intro is freaking wonderfull, especially on CiM, but then they just decided to bring it down by writing a song that is DTs longest 9 mins ever!!! it SUCKS! :O my bottom 98 or w/e the number of song they've writtN
Oh yes! Completely. It's not some kind of horrible abortion of a song, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it ('cept a couple of dodgy transitions), but it's just... dull. There's no spirit to it. I was really surprised when I found out that loads of people liked it - I've tried to reevaluate it a few times, but... nothing.

It does get a fairly muted response at live shows, mind, so maybe it's not just me. Leaves me completely cold.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: June 30, 2010, 05:34:28 PM »

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2010, 05:38:11 PM »
Both Scarred and Voices are verry overrated for me...same goes with PMU

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: June 30, 2010, 05:39:47 PM »
...you must be trolling. Seriously.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #144 on: June 30, 2010, 05:44:04 PM »
Actually, no

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #145 on: June 30, 2010, 05:55:52 PM »
Both Scarred and Voices are verry overrated for me...same goes with PMU

The fact that someone can look down on those songs but get a lot of enjoyment out of SC just blows my mind.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #146 on: June 30, 2010, 05:59:50 PM »
Doesn't blow my mind, especially liking SC, but it's almost the contrary of my thoughts on early DT...

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2010, 06:04:03 PM »
Doesn't blow my mind, especially liking SC, but it's almost the contrary of my thoughts on early DT...

Teh first song I head of DT was TROAE, and Octavarium was the irst Album I heard, and that was what I liked, and well, I don't like old DT that much still...I like SC cuz it's verry proggy but still heavy, it has very technical Instrumental sections and so

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #148 on: June 30, 2010, 06:05:51 PM »
Here's what I want for the next DT record.

More metal.
More solos (all shred obviously)
More unisons
Less bass
Less vocals
More Portnoy vocals
More zaney keyboard stuff
More random sounds by Ruddess
More double bass
Less ballads
Less singles
More muse

You know what sucks? When you're listening to a DT song and you think to yourself "Jesus, they could EASILY fit more keyboard solos into this song".
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: June 30, 2010, 06:14:59 PM »
Nah, I have a better solution for the next album.

Title: Pictures & Sentences
Songs:
1. Push Me Over
2. This Night
3. Give The Space
4. In The Open
5. The Village Pt. 6: The Ordinary and The Conscious
6. Above a Steel Sun
7. Rush For Waking Up
8. Teaching To Die

That would own everything.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2010, 09:24:50 PM »
YEAH GET IT BECAUSE ALL WE WANT IS ANOTHER IMAGES AND WORDS. LOL.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2010, 10:02:57 PM »
They could write an album with a general musical theme that would go throughout the entire album, in the vein of Neal Morse's One.

That'd be very cool.

Yeah, they could call it Octavarium.
In Octavarium there are no similar melodies throughout the album.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2010, 10:06:13 PM »
They could write an album with a general musical theme that would go throughout the entire album, in the vein of Neal Morse's One.

That'd be very cool.

The medicate me melody appears at least in one other song. But there's a theme.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TL

« Reply #153 on: June 30, 2010, 10:08:22 PM »
But I agree with him, that intro is freaking wonderfull, especially on CiM, but then they just decided to bring it down by writing a song that is DTs longest 9 mins ever!!! it SUCKS! :O my bottom 98 or w/e the number of song they've writtN
Blob?

Offline darkshade

« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2010, 10:23:20 PM »

Teh first song I head of DT was TROAE, and Octavarium was the irst Album I heard, and that was what I liked, and well, I don't like old DT that much still...I like SC cuz it's verry proggy but still heavy, it has very technical Instrumental sections and so

this is interesting as I find Octavarium actually a more lighter, more melodic affair; similar IMO to I&W and Awake (even FII) than the heavier, darker albums of SC and BC&SL.

Offline LTE

« Reply #155 on: June 30, 2010, 11:42:28 PM »
I'd like to see more melodic passages, production similar to SDOIT/SFAM, a lot of clean technical sections (clean as in no distortion on guitars and such), no Petrucci/Rudess tradeoffs (okay, one ) One large epic, or suite of songs.

We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: June 30, 2010, 11:51:49 PM »
So much hate on Scarred.. yall are crazy.

I might have to spin Awake right now. :hefdaddy

EDIT: Awake Demos* that is, for the first time

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #157 on: July 01, 2010, 12:03:03 AM »
You know what sucks? When you're listening to a DT song and you think to yourself "Jesus, they could EASILY fit more keyboard solos into this song".
:lol

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #158 on: July 01, 2010, 01:09:03 AM »
DT should totally add more jazz in.

INTRO TO SCARRED ANYONE?!
The intro is completely awesome. Shame it goes pretty downhill after that.
I was going to say something along those lines but decided to save myself the headache.

You're a brave man.

Oh yes! Completely. It's not some kind of horrible abortion of a song, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it ('cept a couple of dodgy transitions), but it's just... dull. There's no spirit to it. I was really surprised when I found out that loads of people liked it - I've tried to reevaluate it a few times, but... nothing.

It does get a fairly muted response at live shows, mind, so maybe it's not just me. Leaves me completely cold.

I still have no idea what people are talking about with the transitions in the song considering there are some incredibly bad ones in newer DT songs. No spirit is really harsh considering Scarred is easily one of the more organic songs they've ever made. It's probably one of the only songs from them even the most prog-hating music critic might take seriously.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #159 on: July 01, 2010, 04:53:14 AM »
Nah, I have a better solution for the next album.

Title: Pictures & Sentences
Songs:
1. Push Me Over
2. This Night
3. Give The Space
4. In The Open
5. The Village Pt. 6: The Ordinary and The Conscious
6. Above a Steel Sun
7. Rush For Waking Up
8. Teaching To Die

That would own everything.
Darkes7, no one wants another I&W.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2010, 05:17:54 AM »

this is interesting as I find Octavarium actually a more lighter, more melodic affair; similar IMO to I&W and Awake (even FII) than the heavier, darker albums of SC and BC&SL.

Yeah me to, almost, but there's a big difference between old DT and octavarium, Octavarium is a very good album, Pre Jordan was not good.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2010, 05:24:05 AM »
I love how some have already managed to point at my post while completely ignoring the reason why I wrote it. I thought I'm the one accused of no sense of humour? :rollin

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2010, 05:40:16 AM »
I love how some have already managed to point at my post while completely ignoring the reason why I wrote it. I thought I'm the one accused of no sense of humour? :rollin

You've said on more than one occasion that you dislike these mysterious people who only want another Images and Words. So surely you can understand why when you make a post like that, people are going to think you're being a douchebag and not just joking.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2010, 05:41:55 AM »

What does "no spirit" mean?
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #164 on: July 01, 2010, 06:14:34 AM »
Well it's a personal response, so if you're asking me to quantify it you're gonna be gutted, but it doesn't make me feel feelings. It doesn't invite me to invest in it, it provides me nothing that I especially want to latch onto... bar the fantastic intro!

If you want me to try and quantify it, then hey. I'll oblige. Natch, your mileage may - and probably does - vary. But as you asked.

When the loud bit comes in ("na nur na NA na, na nur na NA na, na nur na NA na, na nur na daddle dee") it doesn't feel like a surprise, when it ebbs to the soft bit it doesn't feel like a respite. It doesn't fill the speakers with sound nor immerse the listener in mood; it doesn't whisk you away to another planet nor does it provide anything you can see yourself in and go "that's ME!" There are no melodies that stick out as replayable, no gnarled riffs that grind you down to your soul. It doesn't make me feel at peace or feel angry, or even both at different times. It's a puddle of song and that's about it.

There's nothing technically wrong with it, but there's nothing technically right with it either. It eats up twelve minutes and then goes away. Dream Theater have forged a career in mindbending. But Scarred is subtle - and subtle like a shadow, not subtle like a repressed thought or a hint.

"No spirit" doesn't mean anything. It's not a thing. There's not a fella on standby with a barrel of spirit. (Actually, there might be, but that's a completely different spirit.) But to me, nor does Scarred, particularly. It's something you project onto something, but with Scarred I'm clutching at straws trying to find anything particularly striking that I can see myself in - and god knows I've tried.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2010, 06:40:41 AM »
Your reaction to it appears opposite from mine.

The prominent keys during the riffs fills my speakers with sound, the tone of the lyrics being congruous with the tone of the music the entire way immerses me in mood, the personal, relatable nature of the lyrics lets me go "that's ME", and the final line makes me feel at peace the same way Petrucci feels at peace at that moment.

Such is life, I suppose.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #166 on: July 01, 2010, 08:38:03 AM »
I just hope they do what they do best, that is to go in the studio and record an awesome album that they can be proud of have produced themselves without outer interference. Basically the same thing they have done since Scenes From A Memory. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2010, 08:50:07 AM »
While he might not be someone who writes a lot of the melodies and riffs, Portnoy is obviously someone who has a major hand in the direction they go in on each album, and let us remember that he did two Transatlantic records after Scenes from a Memory and before the next DT record, which happened to be Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, so maybe he will come in with a mindset similar to the one that probably had a big influence on how 6DOIT went and sounded.  I am just saying... :coolio

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: July 01, 2010, 09:55:06 AM »
I just hope they do what they do best, that is to go in the studio and record an awesome album that they can be proud of have produced themselves without outer interference. Basically the same thing they have done since Scenes From A Memory. 

Yupp! :D

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2010, 10:03:40 AM »
While he might not be someone who writes a lot of the melodies and riffs, Portnoy is obviously someone who has a major hand in the direction they go in on each album, and let us remember that he did two Transatlantic records after Scenes from a Memory and before the next DT record, which happened to be Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, so maybe he will come in with a mindset similar to the one that probably had a big influence on how 6DOIT went and sounded.  I am just saying... :coolio

Transatlantic + Avenged Sevenfold?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #170 on: July 01, 2010, 10:05:01 AM »

Transatlantic + Avenged Sevenfold?
That's what I was thinking.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #171 on: July 01, 2010, 10:06:21 AM »
I see that some of you would rather prefer a different band with the name Dream Theater rather than the actually existing band...

Offline TL

« Reply #172 on: July 01, 2010, 10:23:45 AM »
Let me just say, holy shit, that would be amazing.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #173 on: July 01, 2010, 10:35:40 AM »

That'd be very cool.

The medicate me melody appears at least in one other song. But there's a theme.

Hmm, there always seemed to be a subtle musical connection between the songs. Especially between the "epic" guitar solos on Never Enough and SS.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #174 on: July 01, 2010, 10:36:54 AM »
Let me just say, holy shit, that would be amazing.

Absolutely!  Another double album would suit me just fine.  :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White