Author Topic: Dream Theater's 11th Album v. Play Nice  (Read 31624 times)

Offline contest_sanity

Re: Dream Theater's 11th Album v. Play Nice
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2010, 08:34:19 PM »
How is that relevant?
It may not be.  But perhaps my line of thought was that they are running within self-imposed boundaries rather than the requirements of some genre they're trying to sound like. 

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2010, 08:35:09 PM »
How is that relevant?
It may not be.  But perhaps my line of thought was that they are running within self-imposed boundaries rather than the requirements of some genre they're trying to sound like. 

That may be true, but unfortunately, I don't think one is better than the other.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2010, 09:46:01 PM »
Okay, I got the idea after reading the System of a Down Thread.

What if they released a double album over the course of a year. Like the album comes out in say, October 2011, the first part of the album contains material like singles and a few other songs like Metropolis. Then 6 months later, they release the next part of the album which has epics on it. They could tour in between each album release.

Just an idea. Something new and different
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2010, 02:19:10 AM »
What's the big deal over whether something is prog/progressive or not? I mean really, who gives a crap, surely the important thing is whether the music is good? There are plenty of truly progressive bands out there if that's what people want, but DT have never been like that, so I don't understand why this discussion always comes up. It was the reason I got bored with the last thread so it's a shame this thread has just carried on where it left off.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2010, 02:20:50 AM »
What's the big deal over whether something is prog/progressive or not? I mean really, who gives a crap, surely the important thing is whether the music is good? There are plenty of truly progressive bands out there if that's what people want, but DT have never been like that, so I don't understand why this discussion always comes up. It was the reason I got bored with the last thread so it's a shame this thread has just carried on where it left off.

I think it's because some of us who want them to try new things are calling "progressing" while some of us who want them to keep doing what they're doing are arguing the matter and it turns into what it is. But you're right, it doesn't matter at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2010, 02:41:07 AM »
Having good production would be a good change indeed. I'm so sick of Portnoy's kick sound. It's atrocious in Raw Dog and makes them sound like a teen metalcore band. Having less loud as shit guitars, more bass attack and midrange, and more keys during non solo sections would be good. JP needs to stop being so stuck up about his guitar tone, really. I think he's sacrificing the overall sound of the band by wanting a huge and heavy guitar sound.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2010, 03:43:50 AM »
To be fair, the mastering process these days also plays a role when it comes to the guitar sound. Have you noticed that in most recent music releases, the drums and the bass seem to not have enough punch and attack, while the guitars mostly seem to remain unaffected? Due to the guitars being the loudest and most aggressive element now, they tend to drown out the other instruments. It's not really something of which JP has the ultimate control.

I agree with most of your other points, though. Also, I'm really not fond of the sound of MP's snare drum on BCASL. It's too quiet, with far too little punch. On SC, it sounded really good compared to BCASL imo.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2010, 05:53:37 AM »
Here is a point I do not believe anyone has touched upon yet, except for briefly by Adami:

For the next Dream Theater album, the vocals need to be better. I am not talking about style, technique, or even choruses; more specifically, I am talking about verses.

The only vocal parts I ever seem to remember from Dream Theater songs are choruses. I never noticed it until this past year, when artists like John Mayer and R.E.M. came to dominate my playlist, whose respective catalogs are filled to the brim with songs where the verses are the highlight. Dream Theater verses, for the most part, seem like they are there only 'cause they have to be.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2010, 07:37:40 AM »
Here is a point I do not believe anyone has touched upon yet, except for briefly by Adami:

For the next Dream Theater album, the vocals need to be better. I am not talking about style, technique, or even choruses; more specifically, I am talking about verses.

The only vocal parts I ever seem to remember from Dream Theater songs are choruses. I never noticed it until this past year, when artists like John Mayer and R.E.M. came to dominate my playlist, whose respective catalogs are filled to the brim with songs where the verses are the highlight. Dream Theater verses, for the most part, seem like they are there only 'cause they have to be.

I actually completely agree with this, I'd never really realised it before. The only DT verse I really love is in Wait For Sleep, and that's basically the chorus the song is so short.

If TCOT had had better lyrics, how much higher would it be on people's DT lists, out of curiosity?

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2010, 07:56:02 AM »

Do NOT agree.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2010, 08:09:53 AM »

Oh, I don't know. I agree that the choruses are more memorable, but then "Without warning" is possibly one of the coolest verses I've heard in anything. Ever. I do think that Dream Theater put a hell of a lot of emphasis on the choruses, but I don't really think they neglect the verses. I think the choruses are just that much stronger because they want them to punch you in the gut.

Part of it might be that their verses are quite unique from a technical perspective - they try and do all these wayward things and throw in arpeggios and odd riffs. The chorus is where they kind of allow themselves to take a breather and just throw in some really catchy power chords. So I'm almost tempted to say it's because they've left room for the vocals in the chorus. I mean, take AROP. It's got that weird middle-eastern riff going all the way through. That riff's the catchiest riff I've heard in ages. I could sing that riff for hours. The chorus is the only place in the song where they really go "right, ease up chaps, it's time for a spot of LaBrie!" It's the only bit in a song where they leave space for the vocals to carry it.

I think that's just an occupational hazard of being a progressive rock band. They're composers who like to try and fill every second with some top notch music. I mean, if you listen to Muse's instrumentals (as in, songs with the vocals removed), they're very basic. Repetitive almost, but that's cool because the vocals are almost the keystone, and they use a rockin' bass riff as the backdrop rather than a main feature. Throw on a Dream Theater instrumental, on the other hand, and it's chock full of nifty bits all the way through - it chops and changes more than a chameleon slicing up some carrots. They leave some room for the vocals and don't properly go all out frets-on-fire till the instrumental section, but with Dream Theater the emphasis has always been on the musicianship and writing excellent music. If there's something to sing along to, all the better.

I don't think the verses are weak, though, vocally. But there are elements of truth to what you say, and I think they quite wisely stand back and don't saturate the verses with all these interweaving melodies.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2010, 08:30:51 AM »
Honestly, I kind of miss the arena rock drum sound to Portnoy's kit from I&W.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2010, 09:19:03 AM »

I think that's just an occupational hazard of being a progressive rock band. They're composers who like to try and fill every second with some top notch music.

While I definitely see your point there, other progressive rock bands do seem to still be able to make verses that carry equal weight to the choruses, like Tool or PT for example. The verses in Tool's Lateralus or PT's Blackest Eyes are just as memorable to me as the choruses. But then I suppose DT do cram in more instrumental goodness into their verses, like the crazy guitar work in Metropolis' second verse.

But the reason I agree with TOX here is that even in their simpler songs such as Wither with nothing really going on that's musically amazing in the verses, the vocal melodies (although I know they're completely subjective) are just sort of bland, and it really does seem like they're looking at a 'how to structure a song' book and realising they need it to be Verse, Prechorus, Chorus rather than it flowing naturally sometimes.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2010, 09:38:23 AM »
I agree with Rob, there's an obvious emphasis on choruses, but that doesn't mean the verses are neglected. Some are largely unmemorable of course, but nowhere near all.

Take ITPOE part 2 for example. Great, eerie verses, epic pre-chorus, rubbish chorus. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2010, 12:56:26 PM »
If they blend in some LTE love (and a standalone instrumental) into what BC&SL was gearing toward, it would be awesome in theory.

Online Adami

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2010, 01:08:59 PM »
If they blend in some LTE love (and a standalone instrumental) into what BC&SL was gearing toward, it would be awesome in theory.

It seems they tried that with ToT.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2010, 01:19:33 PM »
And it was awesome :metal

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2010, 01:23:26 PM »
And still, naah, ToT and BC&SL is very different from each other I think, BC&SL is alot more Diverse, ToT is there agressive, heavy album, BC&SL has alot more than only heavyness, like Wither, The best of times, The count

Online Adami

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2010, 01:24:06 PM »
And still, naah, ToT and BC&SL is very different from each other I think, BC&SL is alot more Diverse, ToT is there agressive, heavy album, BC&SL has alot more than only heavyness, like Wither, The best of times, The count

No one compared them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2010, 02:54:43 PM »

No one compared them.
And probably, no one should.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2010, 03:43:13 PM »
I'm hoping it's a another double album with a wide range of material.  As far as everything else being argued about, it seems pretty pointless because DT can't please everyone's tastes.  They are what they are.  The one thing I would like is for MP to bring back his snare sound from Awake.  Really powerful and crisp snare drum.  Man, that was kickass!!
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline jackbauer114

• I DO COCAINE!
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2010, 04:30:50 PM »
DT should go crabcore.

That is all.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2010, 04:39:55 PM »

I see what you're saying, but they also tried to be ballsy. BC&SL didn't have as much "balls" as ToT did (although it does have its share of heaviness).

Online Adami

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2010, 04:55:29 PM »
BCSL has just as much "balls" as TOT, if not more. The album is just more diverse and more dimensional.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TL

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2010, 07:49:23 PM »
Above all else, I want the album to be well mastered.
Maybe they could bring in Steven Wilson to master it? (I know that won't happen, but it would be great).

For the style of the album, I think they started going in a good direction with BC&SL, and if they continue with it, the next album could be incredible.
I do think that, to an extent, they've imposed some arbitrary boundaries on themselves, and getting out of that box would be great. They have the creativity and the skill to put together something mindblowing, and I hope they choose to do so.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2010, 09:04:41 PM »
I'd love it if they changed their approach to how they write the metal sections. To me that's easily the weakest part of their game which is unfortunate considering how much certain members of the band seem to like balls to the wall stuff.
Uhm interesting opinion as I find the metal elements of DT to be excellent on the most part. Is your opinion that they have too much metal in their recent output, or that they write bad/unintersting metal riffs?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2010, 09:07:07 PM »
Uninteresting. Bad's a bit harsh but I find a lot of their metal stuff very pedestrian and ordinary. As I said in the other thread I can't recall the last memorable metal riff they've done.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2010, 09:25:06 PM »
Uninteresting. Bad's a bit harsh but I find a lot of their metal stuff very pedestrian and ordinary. As I said in the other thread I can't recall the last memorable metal riff they've done.
The end of TDEN has one hell of a riff. The main riff of ITNOG is also pretty kick ass. But it's a little old.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2010, 09:27:46 PM »
The end of TDEN as one hell of a riff.

THE SLUDGIEST RIFF DT HAS EVER COME UP WITH!
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2010, 09:35:09 PM »
Dream Theater's obvious metal influences, like Maiden and QR inspired parts, have always sounded good to me.  It's the more Metallica inspired stuff, as well as the stuff inspired by newer metal genres, that they have the toughest time with IMO.

Online Adami

« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2010, 09:46:40 PM »
The end of TDEN has one hell of a riff. The main riff of ITNOG is also pretty kick ass. But it's a little old.
The ITNOG riff is pretty cool. The end of TDEN is just boring. VERY boring.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2010, 09:49:20 PM »
Not is it pretty cool, it's the best riff JP has done with DT.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

Online Adami

« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2010, 09:52:26 PM »
The ITNOG riff is the best riff JP has ever done? Hm.

No.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2010, 09:54:08 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2010, 09:54:52 PM »

I cannot agree with this, either.  I have grown to really love "In the Name of God," after being somewhat on the fence about it for years, but that riff, while good, isn't close to being one of his best with DT, IMO.  It still reminds me of Metallica's "King Nothing" a bit too much.