Author Topic: The Beer Thread: Mach 2  (Read 99982 times)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: The Beer Thread: Mach 2
« Reply #350 on: September 23, 2010, 07:00:52 AM »
Well, at least you know now.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #351 on: September 24, 2010, 12:34:22 AM »
I heard that Arthur Guinness' birthday is soon, so I'm enjoying a Guinness Draught.  Personally I like the Guinness Extra Stout better...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 12:40:46 AM by carl320 »
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #352 on: September 24, 2010, 09:19:04 AM »
I also prefer the extra stout, and Guinness just announced that they're finally bringing another beer to the US. Guinness Foreign Extra Stout is available in tons of other places around the world and makes up a good chunk of Guinness's total global sales. After a couple months test run in NYC and Atlanta it should be popping up in stores in the next little while.
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #353 on: September 24, 2010, 11:07:04 AM »
I also prefer the extra stout, and Guinness just announced that they're finally bringing another beer to the US. Guinness Foreign Extra Stout is available in tons of other places around the world and makes up a good chunk of Guinness's total global sales. After a couple months test run in NYC and Atlanta it should be popping up in stores in the next little while.

Mmmmm.  I think I will try it as soon as I see it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #354 on: September 24, 2010, 11:58:47 AM »
Anyone have any New England (particularly New Hamsphire or Vermont) beers that they can recommend? Recently moved to the area and want to check out some local stuff. I don't like anything super heavy or bitter, but otherwise I'm pretty open.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: September 24, 2010, 02:06:45 PM »
Anyone have any New England (particularly New Hamsphire or Vermont) beers that they can recommend? Recently moved to the area and want to check out some local stuff. I don't like anything super heavy or bitter, but otherwise I'm pretty open.

Lox, check out this link to all the great N.E. plus N.Y. micro brew stops.  I personally like to tracel to Vermont.

https://www.brewingnews.com/yankeebrew/

Click on the Craft Beer Directories and pick a state!!  Have fun!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #356 on: September 24, 2010, 06:42:12 PM »
Magic Hat, Long Trail, Otter Creek, Rock Art (all VT)... shit, and I can't remember the other one I just recently tried and liked. But yeah, Tony and I took a small trip and toured the first three breweries, which I HIGHLY recommend doing :)
Magic Hat is a lot of fun, great atmosphere and lots of great beers to sample. Long Trail has a restaurant with some kick-ass burgers, and Otter Creek is a small place with not much going on but some great employees and awesome beer (Wolaver's is also there).

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #357 on: September 24, 2010, 07:30:29 PM »
Alright peeps, my experience in the beer world has pretty much been limited to the basic light beer piss that's all too common here (hence why I stick to hard alcohol normally), but since I'll both be in London and able to drink legally, I want to try some better stuff. So, if you wouldn't mind, recommend me some good beer that I'll be able to get over there. Also, some resource for learning all the different terms and types you guys are throwing around would be nice. I have no idea what an IPA or stout or whatever is.

Danke.

/beer nub
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #358 on: September 24, 2010, 07:42:47 PM »
I'll type up a big long post in a bit, but it's going to be hard to give a ton of suggestions as far as breweries/beers because I drink mostly American craft brews while you'll be drinking a lot of English stuff.
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: September 24, 2010, 08:05:48 PM »
Start out Sigz, with something not too bold like Boddington. See how that is first.

Also, to expand on what BTC said, Trout River brewing and go to Downtown Burlington and try the Vermont Pub and Brewery.  My wife and I love this place.

https://www.vermontbrewery.com/

also   https://www.unionbrewhouse.com/beerclub.htm

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #360 on: September 24, 2010, 08:08:33 PM »
This might be more a midwest thing, but has anyone heard of the New Holland Brewing Company (Holland, MI)?  I haven't tried much, but the beer that did have (Dragons Milk, a stout aged in oak barrels) was amazing.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #361 on: September 24, 2010, 08:33:25 PM »
I've heard of them, but never tried anything of theirs.

Sigz, the only British breweries I know of are Fuller's, Young's, and Samuel Smith, all of which are highly regarded in the craft beer community
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #362 on: September 26, 2010, 10:35:41 PM »
Alright peeps, my experience in the beer world has pretty much been limited to the basic light beer piss that's all too common here (hence why I stick to hard alcohol normally), but since I'll both be in London and able to drink legally, I want to try some better stuff. So, if you wouldn't mind, recommend me some good beer that I'll be able to get over there. Also, some resource for learning all the different terms and types you guys are throwing around would be nice. I have no idea what an IPA or stout or whatever is.

Danke.

/beer nub

*takes deep breath*

I'm gonna start by trying to talk about the differences between shitty macro and craft beer. The four main/standard ingredients in beer are malted barley, hops, yeast, and water. There are other things that can go in beer, and can go in good beer (anything from using some wheat instead of barley to using cocoa nibs or various herbs), but those are the big ones. Malted barley is soaked in hot water and that releases sugars. Some of the sugars will eventually be consumed during fermentation and turn into alcohol and CO2, and some of these sugars will be unfermentable and remain in the beer to provide body and sweetness. Malt also will determine whether the beer is golden colored and clear or black as ink. This sugary solution (called wort) will then be boiled for some amount of time (usually an hour). During the boil hops will be added. Hops added early in the boil will give the beer any bitterness it has, which is needed to balance out the sweetness. Hops added later in the boil, at the very end of the boil, or after the boil and fermentation (called dry hopping) will contribute aroma and flavor. Depending on the hop variety (and country of origin) aromas and flavors contributed can range from spicy, flowery, grassy and herbal to straight up citrus bombs (either orange/lemon or often times a grapefruit). Some people even find a certain dank pot like odor from some hops (which isn't totally surprising since hops and marijuana are genetic cousins). The beer then is cooled down and yeast is added. You've probably heard the terms ale and lager before, and they come from what kind of yeast is used to ferment a beer. Ale yeast works at warmer temperatures and tend to add their own flavor or characteristic to a beer. This may range from a subtle fruitiness in an English IPA to complex spiciness in a Belgian ale where the yeast is the primary source of flavor. Lagers on the other hand usually undergo a longer, cooler fermentation, and one that's often called cleaner because they tend to not add flavors and just get out of the way and let the malt/hops do everything.

So that's a beer overview, and basically what happened to the American beer scene is that Prohibition ended and breweries had to sell beer to a generation that didn't go up drinking beer. They had to sell beer to people that only knew drinking sweet, fizzy sodas. Thus bitterness (which is a a prime attraction in some good styles of beer) became a dirty word (culminating in those fucking atrocious BITTER BEER FACE :neverusethis: commercials) and beers began being made much lighter (both in alcohol and in body) and higher carbonated, and much less bitter to appeal to the young crowd. Modern macro lagers are hopped barely to the point of perceptible bitterness (if even that much). They also, instead of using malted barley, tend to use more "cheap" adjuncts such as rice and corn that will add nothing but fermentable sugars to a beer, and thus contribute no sweetness, body, or flavor. They also perpetuate this idea that beer should be consumed as cold as possible (see: the "When the mountains turn blue" Coors gimmick). The truth is that the colder a liquid is the more it numbs your tastebuds as you drink it. The makers of Bud/Miller/Coors (BMC) literally don't want you to be able to fully taste their product because they know that it's poorly crafted. Even a BMC drinker would have a hard time drinking a serving of that beer at room temperature (meanwhile, some craft beers peak in terms of flavor at that temperature).

As far as craft beer terms, I urge you to just check out www.beeradvocate.com (you may have to create a free account to access some features) and explore some of the stuff you see on the left hand side of the site. It'll also be helpful when you're in London because you can look up specific beers, breweries, and pubs and see reviews from craft aficionados. I'll cover a few things though... India Pale Ale is a particularly popular style of beer in the craft beer community. It started with a style in England way back in the day called pale ale that had a little bit of malt character, but was primarily about the hops. A bigger version, called India Pale Ale was brewed, and it was bigger (both in alcohol and hops) so that it could survive the ship voyage to the british colony of India. Eventually a ship carrying IPA wrecked right after it set sail, and when the barrels of it washed up on shore English locals discovered they liked this stronger version of their beloved pale ale and thus IPA was really born. Stout is a wide reaching category. A beer like Guinness is a stout, but it's an Irish Dry Stout, which is generally probably the smallest kind of stout out there. There are many other kinds of stout, and some can get very big in malt presence and alcohol (typical light beer is mid 3 to low 4 in alcohol percent, I've seen imperial stouts get as high as ~18%). All are characterized by a black appearance due to use of heavily roasted malts in the brewing process. Often times there's a pronounced dark chocolate or coffee flavor to these beers.

OK, I think that's enough for now :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #363 on: September 26, 2010, 11:10:28 PM »
Bill, you are a god among men.  :hefdaddy

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: September 27, 2010, 08:38:21 AM »
Bill, you are a god among men.  :hefdaddy

Amen.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #365 on: September 28, 2010, 09:51:57 PM »
heh, thanks guys :lol I really do love talking about this stuff, so if anyone wants to ask/discuss stuff feel free to either post in this thread or shoot me a PM
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 06:33:03 PM by axeman90210 »
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #366 on: September 29, 2010, 12:39:40 AM »
I just had several Otter Creeks (Solstice Ale, Stovepipe Porter, Oktoberfest) while taking a children's intelligence test (my roommate has to do it for school). Amazing.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #367 on: September 29, 2010, 04:55:18 PM »
shoot me a BM

Didn't know you were into that kinda stuff Bill :eyebrows:

Anyways, had a Fuller's London Pride today at lunch. It was pretty damn good, but halfway through the pint my sandwich arrived and it got this really shitty aftertaste :(

CURSE YOU SANDWICH

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #368 on: September 29, 2010, 07:42:16 PM »
heh, that's the danger of frequenting multiple message boards, every once in a while wires get crossed (private messages on beer advocate are called beermails and often abbreviated BM).

English Pale Ale is probably a pretty good style for someone just getting into beer, as well as English style brews in general now that I think about it, as the Brits tend to favor a bit more balance and subtlety in their brews rather than some of the sensory overloads of their American brethren.

Just an example as to how beer advocate might be helpful... You can search and find the page for Fuller's London Pride and then click on links right on top to either bring up the Fuller's entry and see the other beers they make (if you decide you like the brewery, or would like to check out more of their stuff), or read about English Pale Ales and see a list of highly rated beers in the style. [/PSA]
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #369 on: September 29, 2010, 08:24:58 PM »
heh, that's the danger of frequenting multiple message boards, every once in a while wires get crossed (private messages on beer advocate are called beermails and often abbreviated BM).

English Pale Ale is probably a pretty good style for someone just getting into beer, as well as English style brews in general now that I think about it, as the Brits tend to favor a bit more balance and subtlety in their brews rather than some of the sensory overloads of their American brethren.

Just an example as to how beer advocate might be helpful... You can search and find the page for Fuller's London Pride and then click on links right on top to either bring up the Fuller's entry and see the other beers they make (if you decide you like the brewery, or would like to check out more of their stuff), or read about English Pale Ales and see a list of highly rated beers in the style. [/PSA]

Words of wisdom for you Sigz.  From Axeman, verse 1:13. :laugh:

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #370 on: October 01, 2010, 07:23:30 AM »
Headed into the city with a friend for a "Brooklyn takes over the taps" night at a bar. Lots of past Brewmaster's Reserve beers on tap as well as some vintage stuff. Between the two of us my friend and I had...

2x Schneider Brooklyn Hopfen Weiss (hoppy weiss beer)
Detonation Ale (massive double IPA)
Cookie Jar Porter and Cuvee de Cardoz (saison type beer brewed with a blend of spiced handpicked by an Indian chef)
Buzz Bomb Ale (beer made with a large percentage of honey) and Savoir Faire (biere de garde)
Dark Matter (barrel aged brown ale) and Blunderbuss (old ale)
07 Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout and Monster Barleywin (english barleywine)

Most of the beers were excellent (I did think the Cuvee de Cardoz had lost a little something from when I last tried it a year ago), but the star of the night was the Blunderbuss old ale. Sweet and malty, it was plums and raisins soaked in a little bit of alcohol and covered in caramel and toffee :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #371 on: October 01, 2010, 08:42:08 AM »
That last one actually sounds disgusting  :P

But I'm intrigued by Cookie Jar Porter...

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #372 on: October 07, 2010, 11:10:28 PM »
BUMP TIME

This past weekend was the close of NY Beer Week. Saturday I went into town in the afternoon to check out a well regarded bar called the Blind Tiger Alehouse. Very cool (albeit cramped) place with a very good tap list. I started with a Bear Republic Ryevalry. It's an American Imperial IPA fermented with a Belgian yeast strain and containing a decent amount of rye in the grain bill. There was a lot going on, but the brewers at Bear Republic juggled it all very well. Afterwards I went with Sixpoint's Pumpkin Ale since I had a coupon for a Sixpoint beer for $3 at Blind Tiger and that was the only one they had on tap. Worst. Pumpkin beer. Ever. Seriously, no pumpkin at all, it was just a mouthfull of liquid ginger with a dash of pepper. Then it was on to the Voyage of the IPA; some of you saw the picture I posted in the picture thread of me with Garrett Oliver. It was a cool time, as we had perfect weather, but I was disappointed that the IPA discussion only lasted about ten minutes, I was just expecting a bit more in terms of that. That also left an hour and fifty minutes for everyone to hang out with their friends and talk, but since I went by myself that didn't work out as well :lol I started the trip off with a Brooklyn Blast in one hand and a Brooklyn Detonation in the other. That's right, I was double fisting double IPAs, I'm just a badass like that :hat I wanted to do the side by side comparison since Detonation (the current Brewmaster's Reserve) is described as Blast's (year round draft only DIPA) bigger brother. Pretty apt description, as Detonation came across as bigger and more flavorful, but with a lot of the same characteristics. I can say pretty confidently that if either of them was bottled it would probably be the best American IIPA on the East Coast. I had a Captain Lawrence Captain's Reserve imperial IPA and a Brooklyn East India Pale Ale afterwards, but those were just to pass the time and get my money's worth :lol I did get to speak one on one with Garrett towards the end, which was very cool. I was asking him about timing hop additions when it comes to creating beer recipes.

Sunday I went back into the city to one of my favorite bars, the Rattle n Hum for a Stone Tap Takeover event. The bar would be pouring 40 Stone beers on tap, including many rare beers and alternate versions of regular beers. I planned on spending a good chunk of Sunday there, eating and drinking, but between the crazy over crowding and terrible service I got (a whole rant to itself), I ended up leaving after 3 beers. First was their 9th anniversary beer (for reference, this year they released their 14th anniversary beer). It started out I believe as a big hoppy american wheat ale, but I think it's a bit past its prime at this point. Next was Stone's 2007 Vertical Epic that had been aged in red wine barrels. Holy shit what a great beer. The 07 VE was roughly a Belgian Strong Pale Ale that was bombed with a believe orange and lemon zest to create a very citrusy flavor. 3 years later the beer is still very citrusy, and it worked well with the fruitiness contributed by the barrel aging. I closed it out with Stone's 2010 Belgo Barleywine, their Old Guardian Barleywine fermented with a Belgian yeast strain. I've had this beer before, but it really never gets old. It's big and sweet and has this great bubblegum flavor from the yeast, and it's still plenty hoppy too. Stone's starting an "Odd Beers in Odd Years" program where starting next year, every other year the version they release of their Old Guardian Barleywine and Imperial Russian Stout will be tweaked/different somehow, and if this Belgo Barleywine isn't bottled as next year's version I'm going to be very upset :lol Those two beers (07 VE in red wine barrels and 2010 Belgo Barleywine) are probably now my two favorite Stone brews, so having them back to back was very cool.

I was a bit bummed with my experience at the event overall though Sunday, so when I heard that RnH was keeping all the Stone beers on tap until they were gone, and they still had just about everything as of Monday night, I decided I would go again for lunch on Tuesday. I got there at noon, I think I was the first customer of the day, and settled in for a few hours of drinking. Quick aside: this place serves possibly the best burger I've ever had, thanks in part to serving it with a beer, bacon, and shallot reduction. Anyway, I started with a collaboration beer they did with I believe Ballast Point Brewery out in San Diego with them and a well known San Diego Homebrewer. The idea was basically a super hopped session ale(less than 4.5%, though some people will say the threshold is actually 4%). Bad idea, nowhere near enough malt sweetness to balance out the hops and the result was that it was basically like drinking a pint of hop juice :lol Next I had to go back to the 07 VE, I just loved the beer that much. Next was a special version of Stone's RIS. 2010 is their tenth year of making the beer, so they did some special mixes for this year of various vintages. One blend was called the GK (Greg Koch, Stone founder) Madman Mix. In addition to blending various Stone IRS vintages he added some sage and chipotles (and possibly some other Stone beers, though I'm not sure on that part). It sounds weird, but god damn did it come together nicely. I closed out the afternoon with a 2004 Old Guardian, which while nice and malty, had a surprising amount of hoppiness left for a six year old beer.

Other than that just been drinking some random stuff this week. Had another New Belgium 1554 (very cool) and a Rogue RIS (not so much). I had a Brooklyn East India Pale Ale earlier tonight, which is decent for what it's trying to be, and am working on a Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre as I type. Thinking about how bottling my hoppy brown ale tomorrow is going to work :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #373 on: October 07, 2010, 11:46:21 PM »
I just kind of skimmed that and read the bottom because I reaaally have to go to bed, but I enjoy 1554. My favorite jazz club out here had it on tap for a long time and then it was gone when I came back last month. New Belgium has some good stuff but they're probably my least favorite out here so far.

Going to attend the tapping of the Wynkoop's pumpkin after work tomorrow, wooo! They also recently started serving some hardcore brewers vault beers that I'm looking forward to trying some more of (had the big easy barleywine and orville, a belgian strong golden ale saturday night). I just fucking love that place so much. They always keep it interesting.

::crosses fingers and waits for hoppy brown ale :D::

(still have to send you that RR when I have some spare time, Bill)

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #374 on: October 08, 2010, 12:14:49 AM »
1554 is a good black ale.  My favorite of the New Belgium beers I've tried.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #375 on: October 08, 2010, 08:04:14 AM »
Yeah, it's definitely one of my favorites. Went to the brewery a few months ago and tried pretty much everything and also really liked the trippel and abbey. I liked the Mothership a lot, which was kind of surprising since I'm not much of a wheat fan. But a lot of the other ones are underwhelming... and I am really sick of people acting like Fat Tire is so amazing!

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #376 on: October 08, 2010, 05:23:41 PM »
Yeah, Fat Tire is alright... not one of my favorites either.  I haven't had the Abbey.  The only way I can find it is when they put them in the Folly Packs.  That's one I'd like to try.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #377 on: October 08, 2010, 05:25:17 PM »
Hmm, where do you live?

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #378 on: October 08, 2010, 08:45:42 PM »
I live in Northern Indiana.  I know that there are a lot of NB brews available here, but Abbey isn't available by itself  :(

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #379 on: October 08, 2010, 09:04:58 PM »
Lame! I just recently had my first Indiana beer (I think I posted about it a while back) and I enjoyed it- Three Floyds Alpha King

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #380 on: October 09, 2010, 12:57:28 PM »
Cool Beer Story, Bro time.

I wanted to get my friend a housewarming gift because I'm going to his new place for the first time to watch the Rangers/Rays game tonight. I go to the supermarket to get something to eat and saunter over to the beer section to try to find him a nice beer. I feel stymied by the options until I see a big "B" on one of the six packs. I thought to myself, "BROOKLYN BREWERY! AXEMAN!" and picked up a six pack of Brooklyn Lager for him :lol

So as some of you know, I've been gluten-free for a year now, which makes drinking normal beer impossible. Couple this with the fact that me drinking too much one night was the spark of all the gastrointestinal problems I've had over the past two years and you have a college senior who hasn't had a drink in nearly two years. I've REALLY been wanting to go try some gluten-free beer but I've always been too nervous. Well, "fuck it," I decided. I need to live my life, dammit.

I'm still not sure I'm going to drink it yet. I need to be in the right state of mind :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: October 09, 2010, 01:11:47 PM »
Heading over my brother's house for beer and Rush music and a fire beer pit.  Beer list to follow the next day.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #382 on: October 09, 2010, 07:06:30 PM »

I'm still not sure I'm going to drink it yet. I need to be in the right state of mind :lol

DOOO IT

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #383 on: October 09, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
I've had four New Belgium beers; two were great and two were subpar. I thought 1554 was very cool, it was inhabiting this cool space between a belgian strong dark ale and a stout. Mothership Wit was also great, one of my favorte witbeers. Ranger IPA and Fat Tire were both a bit meh. I've heard that back in the day Fat Tire had a bit more to it, but it sold its soul to a degree en route to mass acceptance out there. If it allows them to make some of their other cool beers then it's all good with me.

Well done antigoon :D

sounds like a good night in your future king :hat

I spent the first half of yesterday with my cousin bottling homebrew. We ended up with either 54 or 55 bottles of hoppy brown ale (one of which is only half full. I had my last each of Brooklyn EIPA and Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre during/after our late lunch. My buddy came over last night and we had the following:

12oz bottle each of New Jersey Beer Company's Abbey Single... not bad at all. It's like a Belgian lite, but that's all the style aspires to, so I find it hard to hold it against the beer. It's the kind of "table" beer that the monks would brew for themselves to have with meals but didn't usually sell to the outside public.

750 of Ommegang Witte... solid beer, but there some plenty of available wits that are better (Allagash White, Saint Bernardus Wit)

bomber of Fat Tire... I think this bottle suffered a little bit from some crazy temperature exposure at some point before it reached me. I don't think a great beer was ruined, but an amber ale is always nice to have with pizza.

750 of Saint Bernardus Abt. 12... How can you not love a good quad? Sweet and fruity and super smooth. Really world class.

Tonight it's just me, I'm having another of the NJBC's Single with dinner and then it'll be a Terrapin special release dubbel and a bottle of Stone 2009 Imperial Russian Stout
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #384 on: October 09, 2010, 07:32:03 PM »
Bill, have you been drinking the Terrapin/Left Hand collaborations? I forget what they call them but I remember really enjoying the first one, I guess it was last fall or something? I have the latest one sitting in my cupboard and have yet to try it...