Author Topic: The Beer Thread: Mach 2  (Read 99272 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Beer Thread: Mach 2
« Reply #245 on: July 23, 2010, 11:41:51 PM »
Okay, I just looked at a map and Long Trail is 45 minutes directly beneath my aunt's so we're defnitely stopping there on the way and at Otter Creek on the way back from Magic Hat  :D :D

Don't forget Harpoon on RT 5 (I think) for some 100 barrel series and their Levithan series!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #246 on: July 24, 2010, 12:54:12 AM »
Drinking a Moose Head Light. I saw a case of this at Publix! I didn't know they sold Moose Head in the south at least. I was very pleased and happy i bought this

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #247 on: July 27, 2010, 03:58:29 PM »
Okay, I just looked at a map and Long Trail is 45 minutes directly beneath my aunt's so we're defnitely stopping there on the way and at Otter Creek on the way back from Magic Hat  :D :D

Don't forget Harpoon on RT 5 (I think) for some 100 barrel series and their Levithan series!

Nah, we didn't have time for any more breweries. Long Trail had amazing food, man. Best burger I've had in a looong time. Cabot cheddar  :heart... there I only had the double IPA and the ale, both even yummier on tap of course (drink the ale regularly, tried the double IPA once last year).
We hit up Magic Hat yesterday and got to try a couple of new ones, the Encore (new winter IPA, I forget the combination here but I really enjoyed it) and the Hex (Ourtoberfest, interesting, different than an Octoberfest which is good for me because I'm generally not too crazy about them), plus the HI.P.A. (I've had this before, but it does not quite have the same flavor and cannabis smell [lol] when it's bottled) and the standard #9 (mmmm).

After that we went to Otter Creek/Wolaver's, where we tried pretty much everything they had. My favorites were the Wolaver's oatmeal stout, OC stovepipe porter, and OC black IPA (brand new and delicious) but they were all pretty good (just wasn't as crazy about the light ones). That is a great little brewery, tiny with friendly and knowledgable employees. They have these VT beer passports we picked up (of course the first two places did not have them, so now we need to go back to those plus all the others :p). A wonderful fun two days of beer. Oh yeah, also had some Trout River red. Now I need to go eat my maple cheddar  :D
Ah, Vermont.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #248 on: July 27, 2010, 05:23:03 PM »
I love eating at Longtrail, outside on the deck.  I should post a pick of me there in the winter.  They've got a little pit for fire to drink around.  And the river right next to it.  Love it all.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #249 on: July 27, 2010, 05:25:14 PM »
I spent the weekend in Asheville, NC (home of Brewgrass Beer Festival) and encountered a couple of brews from Highland Brewing Company https://www.highlandbrewing.com/main.htm

I especially liked the Gaelic Ale and the Kashmir IPA. Mmmmmm...
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #250 on: July 27, 2010, 06:07:34 PM »
who neesd a bt ere whn oyou can have soutrnt comfor? Though honestly a i haed a beer or 4 in scotland that wer w a relaly good so i cant be one ato judgeyou beer poeple badly

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #251 on: July 27, 2010, 06:09:13 PM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #252 on: July 27, 2010, 06:35:32 PM »
Oh man  :lol :lol

I love eating at Longtrail, outside on the deck.  I should post a pick of me there in the winter.  They've got a little pit for fire to drink around.  And the river right next to it.  Love it all.

That's awesome; have to go there in the winter one of these years! Yeah, it's beautiful there.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: July 29, 2010, 09:07:54 AM »
Heading to the Sea Dog Brewing Co. today mixed with a nice ride in Maine.

Edit: Too long.  We're heading to Allagash!!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 09:40:06 AM by kingshmegland »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #254 on: July 29, 2010, 09:24:53 AM »
who neesd a bt ere whn oyou can have soutrnt comfor? Though honestly a i haed a beer or 4 in scotland that wer w a relaly good so i cant be one ato judgeyou beer poeple badly

No matter how drunk I get I have never, ever had a problem typing. It takes me 5 times longer to type but dammit everything is spelled right.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #255 on: July 30, 2010, 08:48:24 AM »
well, I've been lax in posting here the last few days...

The last day of vacation was a fairly epic beer day. Started off with an Allagash White with breakfast (awesome idea :D) and then throughout the day also had a Bell's Porter, Bell's Kalamazoo Stout, Terrapin Gamma Ray Wheatwine, Duck Rabbit Duck-Rabbitor Doppelbock and, after an interlude of Coors Light during drinking games with the family, cappped the vacation with my first Rochefort 10. All of them were solidly above average (except the Coors Light :neverusethis).

On the drive home Sunday I convinced the family to indulge me and detour to the Dogfish Head brewpub for lunch. Very cool place, and the food was pretty tasty (most of us had individual sized wood oven pizzas). I had a Festina Peche to start and then Namaste, currently a brewpub exclusive Wit that they brewed with lemongrass in addition to the standard orange peel and coriander. I *really* liked the Namaste, the lemon was a very welcom addition to the typical Wit. Picked up a shirt and a bomber of Wrath of Pecan (brewed for Extreme Beer Fest back in February, made with pecan wood smoked malt and plantains) which I have yet to dip into.

I had a Verboten Monday night, a Belgian Pale Ale from Weyerbacher that was alright, but a little muddled. Tuesday night I had an Omegang Three Philosophers Quad w/ Cherries... malty and delicious, toeing the line of being cloyingly sweet with actually ever crossing it.

Made it home for the weekend last night and cracked one of my remaining bottles of Bell's Batch 9000, a big imperial stout brewed with brewer's licorice. It's definitely better now with a few months of age on it, the licorice was a bit overwhelming fresh
Photobucket sucks.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #256 on: July 30, 2010, 06:19:02 PM »
Argh too much berr tonight! Started out with a couple of pints of Staropramen (an amazing beer) as all drinks were half price before 8pm, but after that I moved onto the slightly cheaper option wich was Becks.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: July 30, 2010, 06:21:42 PM »
Drunken mods FTW :lol
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #258 on: July 30, 2010, 06:41:09 PM »
until he goes on a drunk banning spree :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: July 30, 2010, 06:45:34 PM »
*hides, cowering in fear*
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #260 on: July 30, 2010, 10:10:15 PM »
I started tonight with a Weyerbacher Merry Monks'... the more I drink this beer the more I realize that, while it's enjoyable, it's far from a world class tripel. I tried pairing it with my dinner of fettuccine carbonara, and though it had the heft and the carbonation to pull it off, the flavors didn't quite work together. I moved on to a bomber of Stone's 14th Anniversary Emperial (sic) IPA. They brewed an English style IPA, from the hop selection to the lack of crystal malts and the Burtonizing of the water, and then they ramped it up west coast double IPA style. It's definitely unique, and after a few sips I warmed up to it.
Photobucket sucks.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #261 on: July 31, 2010, 03:45:16 AM »
:lol Last night was fun, and I'm mostly not hungover.

Do you get Staropramen in the US? It's a very nice lager!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #262 on: July 31, 2010, 06:30:14 AM »
Well the beers were great last night at my friends party.  I stared off with Allgash Odyssey barrel aged dark wheat beer at 10% ABV's it packed a punch and I loved an almost sweetness to it.  Then we moved on to Allgash Black Belgian Stout.  I was a little dissapointed with this one.  It lacked character that I like in stouts.   The last beer we had was a classic. Allgash Tripel.  A fruity and spiced aromma(sp?) that doesn't dissapoint.  What a great head on this beer.  Now I have a cloudy Allgash head this morning. ;D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 07:52:50 AM by kingshmegland »

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #263 on: July 31, 2010, 06:53:12 AM »
I've never had the Odyssey, but their tripel is very good. I was also a bit let down by Black, if I remember correctly it had a certain chalkiness to it that I didn't care for. I also had their quad (Four) right after it, which definitely made it look bad by comparison :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: July 31, 2010, 07:54:51 AM »
I think you'd like the Odyssey Bill.  Right up your alley.  They also hade a 2008 and 2009 version of it but I just couldn't pull the trigger on a $30 bottle.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #265 on: July 31, 2010, 08:06:22 AM »
yeah, I probably would. All those Allagash bottles are so damn expensive though (even the non vintage ones) :lol I think I'll have to pick up a bottle of this year's Fluxus (they release it once a year, different beer every year) as it's a big imperial oatmeal stout that had cacao nibs added to it at the  end of the boil
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: July 31, 2010, 08:14:24 AM »
Oh, they had that there plus the 2 years before and I cried because I didn't want to spend $90 on 3 bottles.  Though, I did spent $32.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #267 on: August 05, 2010, 11:20:26 AM »
Tuesday afternoon I went to Sunset with a buddy and had a Rock Art Sunny and 75 Saison (not bad, very dry though even for a saison), a Pretty Things Field Mouse's Farewell (man I still love this beer), and a Lost Abbey Angel's Share Bourbon Barrel (also pretty good, a little heavy on the booze though, which I suspect I should expect with a 12% beer). Was very sad to discover though that I missed out on the super rare Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout (similar to Kentucky Breakfast Stout, except aged in bourbon barrels that also held maple syrup). It's tap only and doesn't  show up outside of the brewpub all that often, especially this far east. A wave of kegs must have  come in and went on tap all around town this weekend, but they were all gone before I got any :(
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #268 on: August 05, 2010, 03:50:06 PM »
Aww, lame.
Never had that Rock Art but I enjoy their beers generally. I <3 Vermont.

I picked up this mid atlantic brewer's newspaper at BK and am really hoping to get some of this stuff soon (put in a special order at BK). I think it's an awesome idea for an amazing album:

https://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/occassional-rarities/bitches-brew.htm

https://feature.legacyrecordings.com/milesdavisbrew/

And you can actually listen to the music on the website!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: August 05, 2010, 04:27:36 PM »
Tuesday afternoon I went to Sunset with a buddy and had a Rock Art Sunny and 75 Saison (not bad, very dry though even for a saison), a Pretty Things Field Mouse's Farewell (man I still love this beer), and a Lost Abbey Angel's Share Bourbon Barrel (also pretty good, a little heavy on the booze though, which I suspect I should expect with a 12% beer). Was very sad to discover though that I missed out on the super rare Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout (similar to Kentucky Breakfast Stout, except aged in bourbon barrels that also held maple syrup). It's tap only and doesn't  show up outside of the brewpub all that often, especially this far east. A wave of kegs must have  come in and went on tap all around town this weekend, but they were all gone before I got any :(
 Man does that sound good Bill.  I would have loved to seen your review.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #270 on: August 07, 2010, 06:25:31 PM »
Almost to the bottom of a bottle of Ommegang Abbey Dubbel.  I think I found happiness there. :D

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #271 on: August 07, 2010, 07:06:50 PM »
that's a hell of a tasty beer, definitely the best american made dubbel around, though I'm not sure if it quite matches some of the trappist versions.

Last night me and some family mowed through a six pack of Sierra Nevada Kellerweis, great beer and what's not to love about a hefe in the summer :D Today was two each of Troegs Hopback Amber (solid) and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (fucking classic) whilst watching the Yankees game
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #272 on: August 07, 2010, 07:21:46 PM »
Yeah, lemony wheaty beers are great in the summer... had a Fransiskaner and a Leinenkugel's Sunset Wheat with dinner out last night.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #273 on: August 10, 2010, 07:30:20 AM »
The other day me and my family absolutely killed a sixer each of DFH 60 Minute (solid) and Harpoon UFO (a little watery/weak imo). Today is my big farewell to Boston beer day, gonna head up and do the Sam Adams tour again and then lunch at Deep Ellum (small, but very good beer bar with very good food) and then walk a few blocks over and camp out for the afternoon at Sunset :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: August 10, 2010, 07:47:32 AM »
The other day me and my family absolutely killed a sixer each of DFH 60 Minute (solid) and Harpoon UFO (a little watery/weak imo). Today is my big farewell to Boston beer day, gonna head up and do the Sam Adams tour again and then lunch at Deep Ellum (small, but very good beer bar with very good food) and then walk a few blocks over and camp out for the afternoon at Sunset :hat

Go out in style at Sunset!! :metal

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #275 on: August 10, 2010, 08:02:22 AM »
indeed... Utopias shots all around :metal (not really though :lol)
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #276 on: August 10, 2010, 09:04:44 PM »
got to Sam Adams a little after noon today with a buddy of mine. We were able to jump in with a tour that had started like ten minutes prior (jackpot for us, less waiting/talking before we got free beer :lol). Tasting featured Boston Lager and Summer Ale (as usual) and the third specialty beer was Old Fezziweig, a beer usually only available in their winter mix pack that I've never had before and was pretty tasty. Our table was filled with old people, some of which couldn't have some of the beer because it wasn't kosher, so there was a lot leftover in the pitchers for me and my friend :hat We then hit up the lobby for samples of the Belgian IPA and Rye American Ale from the Drinker's Choice (or whatever the hell it's called) contest before heading to lunch. We stopped at Deep Ellum for lunch where I had a pretty tasty burger for lunch and a glass of Smuttynose Oak Aged Tripel that was a bit overbearing on the oak flavor at first, but really smoothed out as it warmed. Next and final stop was Sunset where I had a Great Divide Oak Aged Espresso Yeti (very good, as a non coffee drinker I have a definite upper bound for how much coffee flavor I like in a beer, and the balance that the oak brought to an espresso stout let this beer toe the line without going over) and a Bourbon County Stout (I wanted a World Wide Stout to go out on, but the tap wasn't working, so I had to settle for this rich, viscous dessert of a beer). All in all a good day and a fond farewell to some of my favorite beer spots in Boston. I look forward to grabbing one last meal at Cambridge Brewing Company Thursday night
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: August 10, 2010, 09:07:35 PM »
You've got to pm me when your up for the beer festivals.  I want to take my brother.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #278 on: August 10, 2010, 09:38:44 PM »
Next beer festival is the Belgian fest November 5th and 6th. Tickets are on sale now for Friday night and the Saturday sessions. My current plan is to volunteer for all 3, and then maybe cancel for Friday depending on how my work situation shakes out between now and then

https://beeradvocate.com/fests/bbf
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: August 11, 2010, 08:33:42 AM »
Next beer festival is the Belgian fest November 5th and 6th. Tickets are on sale now for Friday night and the Saturday sessions. My current plan is to volunteer for all 3, and then maybe cancel for Friday depending on how my work situation shakes out between now and then

https://beeradvocate.com/fests/bbf

I may be effed that weekend.  It's Lisa's birthday and sunday it's football. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'll look into it.