Author Topic: The Beer Thread: Mach 2  (Read 99277 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: The Beer Thread: Mach 2
« Reply #315 on: September 05, 2010, 08:43:23 AM »
actually, a bottle would be awesome. I managed to pick one up, but I'm sending it out in a trade. By the way, I went to Oak Tree Discount Wine and Spirits in South Plainfield... hands down the best beer store I've been to in the state.

Did your place get any Founders 2010 Nemesis in by chance? The place I went to had a one bottle per person limit :(
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #316 on: September 05, 2010, 08:55:14 AM »
I don't think so; we don't have too many bottles like that if they aren't special ordered (although we're working on it) and we just recently started carrying anything from Founders if I'm not mistaken.

Gotta check that store out, damn... probably not til Christmastime, though.

How much did you pay for the BB, out of curiosity? Like I said, pretty sure I won't need 8 for the party tonight (Tony and I both want to hold onto an extra so it can age) so I will keep one for you (may or may not be able to actually get it to you before I leave, though)  :D
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #317 on: September 05, 2010, 10:17:57 PM »
to be honest not sure, I knew I was gonna get a bottle and didn't scope the price :lol

nothing crazy for me tonight, just an Oaked Arrogant Bastard
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #318 on: September 06, 2010, 01:39:03 PM »
I had a very interesting Imperial Pumpkin Ale today from Weyerbacher today after kicking my brothers ass in golf today! :metal  I put it right up there with Shipyard's Smashed Pumpkin and Fishermans Pumpkin Stout. 8.0 ABV's with a great spiced flavor to it.(Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Cardamom, Cloves)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #319 on: September 06, 2010, 11:20:57 PM »
I liked Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin last fall, but I have two four packs of the DFH Punkin so I think that may be the only pumpkin brew I try this year. Tonight I started with a Terrapin Hop Karma (decent, but not as good as I remember), followed with a Hitonachi Nipponia over dinner (my first beer from Japan, a little bit of a mess to be honest), and finished with a Founders Devil Dancer Triple IPA (monster of a beer, but good... think of it as DFH 120 Minute IPA's little brother).
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: September 07, 2010, 07:49:23 AM »
I love the pumpkin ales so much that I try to get as much as I can cause it's seasonal. So I overdo it a bit.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #321 on: September 07, 2010, 08:45:32 PM »
tonight was a River Horse Hop-a-lot-amus (name was the best part of this beer, seriously underwhelming for a DIPA) and a Terrapin Hopzilla (phenomenal double IPA, right up there with Pliny for me).
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #322 on: September 08, 2010, 08:23:45 AM »
Axe, that place in Haverhill Mass that I've told you about just got a boatload of Pretty Things beers.  I will, in the next week or so try some.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: September 09, 2010, 08:08:18 AM »
Facebook just posted this, I must have.

Original Release: as part of 100 Barrel Series (#10) in Summer 2005; as part of Leviathan Series in June 2008

Re-released: Fall 2010

Latin for "wheat," Triticus is a strong and dark wheat wine-style ale that boasts 11.5% alcohol-by-volume. The blend of 50% wheat malts, including caramel and chocolate, provides color and depth of flavor. Complex hopping and dry-hopping lends a delicate spiciness and just enough balance to complement its strength.

We originally brewed Triticus in 2005 with guest brewers Jason and Todd Alström, founders of BeerAdvocate.com, as part of Harpoon's 100 Barrel Series. A draft-only batch was brewed to launch the Leviathan series two years ago and we have wanted more ever since. We are happy to now offer Triticus in bottles for the first time since its 100 Barrel debut five years ago.

BEER SPECIFICATIONS
Style:Wheat Wine-Ale Style
Original Gravity: 27.5
Alcohol by Volume: 11.5%
IBU’S:57
Recommended Serving Temperature 49-51° F

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #324 on: September 09, 2010, 08:46:19 PM »
I've heard good things about  it on Beer Advocate, hopefully I find some in NYC tomorrow. Also, try any and all Pretty Things you can get your hands on :lol

So my childhood buddy came by last night for our man date ritual any time I'm home, lots of beer, lots of pizza, and lots of hanging out/movies/video games. The damage report comes in at

Weihenstephaner Hefe (500 mL)
Brooklyn Local 1 (750 mL)
Ommegang Hennepin (750 mL)
Dogfish Head Punkin (12oz)
Weyerbacher Merry Monks (12oz)
Terrapin Gamma Ray (12 oz)
Weyerbacher Insanity (22oz)

all beers I've had before, all phenomenal :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #325 on: September 10, 2010, 05:14:17 PM »
Just got a shirt that says....
SAVE THE PLANET
It's the only one with beer!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #326 on: September 10, 2010, 08:49:59 PM »
Well I need to figure out what to by for Sunday's Tailgating.  Go PATS!!!!!

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #327 on: September 11, 2010, 05:55:45 PM »
Denver beerfest is officially on! I've just been drinking in my apartment to celebrate so far, but will be enjoying some beer ice cream tomorrow, whatever other events I feel like attending, and of course the Great American Beer Festival next weekend. I don't even know how I'm going to handle that considering there are like 1000 beers...

forgot to mention I just had a Founders breakfast stout for... brunch... and this Indiana beer last night, fuck what was the name?? The beer was Alpha King, but I'm too lazy to go to my fridge and find the brewery name. It came recommended to me by some guy in Indiana.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #328 on: September 11, 2010, 06:54:49 PM »
Alpha King is from 3 Floyds (yes, I'm enough of a nerd to know the regular lineup of breweries that don't distribute to my state :lol )
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: September 11, 2010, 07:31:04 PM »
Alpha King is from 3 Floyds (yes, I'm enough of a nerd to know the regular lineup of breweries that don't distribute to my state :lol )

You have notes. ;D

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #330 on: September 11, 2010, 08:46:46 PM »
Haha, dork. So many beers I don't usually see in Indiana, it was hard to choose.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #331 on: September 11, 2010, 10:29:14 PM »
Just got a shirt that says....
SAVE THE PLANET
It's the only one with beer!

axeman approved :tup

Epic beerventure yesterday. Took the train in to Penn Station and hit up probably the two best bottle shops in Manhattan (conveniently just a few blocks from each other). I picked up a bunch of things for trades, but managed to also nab two more bottles of Nemesis, as well as Ommegang Zuur and Biere de Mars and two bottles of J.W. Lees Harvest Ale (1999 vintage :hat). We then hit up one of the better beer bars in the city for lunch, the Rattle n Hum. I ended up having a Stone Levitation (to be honest, this beer's a little too hopped for its own good) and a Brooklyn Detonation Ale (newest Brewmaster's Reserve, a monster 10%+ double IPA that was freaking awesome). We came home, reorganized and catalogued my beer cellar, and then I got an email about a free beer tasting at a local store with a new brewery. We hopped in the Brewmobile and got there right at the start and got to talk awhile with the founder of the New Jersey Brewing Company, who was a very cool guy, while trying their Pale Ale (meh) Abbey Single (pretty good) and Stout (both from bottles and on cask, not bad at all). After returning home I had a Delirium Tremens (damn tasty), Racer 5 with dinner (great IPA), Terrapin Rye Squared (meh), and my first bottle of JW Lees 99 Harvest Ale (toe curling orgasmically awesome). Tonight is nothing crazy, just a Weyerbacher 14th Anniversary Wheatwine from the cellar (now with almost a year on it). It's pretty good, but nothing earth shattering. Tomorrow night though I crack my first bottle from Cantillon to celebrate my 100th review.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AoUS96bplKrmdDBjLU91Zi1IcDdRZkxpRWFSWEplMVE&hl=en#gid=0
my current cellar (134 bottles)
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #332 on: September 12, 2010, 02:41:56 AM »
Can't view  >:(

Isn't NJ Brewing Company the one in North Bergen?? I heard about it but never got a chance to check it out while I was around. My one good friend from NB just moved to Montclair so I really have no reason to go to that terrible place with all the hills anymore.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #333 on: September 12, 2010, 08:07:43 AM »
yeah, they're in North Bergen, just started brewing back in April and their beer hit shelves in May
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #334 on: September 12, 2010, 04:28:46 PM »
So today at the Pats game I had Chatoe Rogue OREgasmic Ale & La Fin Du Monde.  Lets just say I had a great buzz at the game.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #335 on: September 12, 2010, 09:48:58 PM »
I'd be willing to bet on that :lol

I'm a one beer kinda guy tonight, spending it with a 750 mL bottle of Cantillon Iris. Cantillon is one of the most respected producers of Belgian Lambic. Their beers are spontaneously fermented by leaving the wort exposed to whatever natural yeast/bacteria are in the air, which in the area of Belgium Cantillon is located (the only place in the world where a beer can be considered an authentic lambic), is lots of wild yeast and souring bacteria. This kind of beer is definitely an acquired taste (I gave my mom a sip and she responded by shrieking "get that away from me" and going into another room :lol ), but as someone who digs sours/wild ales Cantillon is a treat.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #336 on: September 12, 2010, 09:59:13 PM »
That sounds yummy. I haven't had anything sour in a long time :(

Still drinking Alpha King, will switch it up tomorrow. This beer produces a nice burp.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #337 on: September 15, 2010, 08:14:28 AM »
Went to the Boston beer Works last night before the Rush show.  I had an Imperial Red Ale and was dissapointed. No character at all.  The Imperial ESB was much better but the highlight of the night was the Double Pale ale. A deep orange, high gravity American Pale Ale that had a great citrus undertone to it. A strong grapefruit flavor to it.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #338 on: September 15, 2010, 01:54:13 PM »
mmmmm, citrus.

Hqaven't had anything really exciting since the Cantillon. Monday I was at a bar for Monday Night Football and had some Flying Fish IPA and Victory Golden Monkey Tripel. The IPA was so-so, but the tripel was pretty good. Tonight I'll probably dip into some good stuff from the trade I got in the mail the other day, got a big bottle of dubbel from Terrapin, a bomber of imperial pilsner from Sweetwater (we'll see how that goes, pils might be my least favorite style), a bottle of DIPA from Arcadia (a brewery I've never heard of before), another bottle of Nemesis, and a bottle of the guy's homebrewed IPA.

Speaking of homebrew, I think I'm all set for brewing two batches on Friday, a hoppy brown ale and an imperial stout. I've been working on building up a starter to grow the yeast sample for the stout all week and I just picked up a second fermentation bucket this morning.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #339 on: September 15, 2010, 06:36:04 PM »
Bill, I want to try your damn beer this time if it comes out okay (especially a hoppy brown or imperial stout)!

Drinking Cricket Hill American Ale, nothing special about it but not bad. My last Jersey beer. It's all Vermont and I states (Indiana, Iowa) from here on out... until the Great American Beer Festival on Saturday, of course :caffeine:

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #340 on: September 15, 2010, 06:54:38 PM »
I'll see what I can do :P The first batch just all disappeared before I came back home, and the second batch got drain poured. I should have either the hoppy brown or whatever batch five is (I'm thinking IPA) laying around late this year, but the imperial stout might not be ready until after the first of the new year.

Starting tonight with a bomber of Sweetwater's imperial pils (awesomely named Magnum IP) which isn't bad, but tastes almost closer to an English IPA to me in terms of the hop flavor.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #341 on: September 15, 2010, 07:07:15 PM »
I don't care when, silly. Just don't forget about me  :(

I am trying to decide if I want to have one more beer. I have to be up early... and I also found out some liver thing in my blood test came back high last time  :|

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #342 on: September 19, 2010, 05:21:57 PM »
(Disclaimer: This is more about the experience and less about the beer right now, so don't read if you don't want to, just wanted to write about it :P)

Holy shit, guys. Great American Beer Festival Night was an epic journey through space and time. I have to come back to the actual beer (I wrote down the ones that stood out but I have to translate my handwriting) but the evening was hilarious. Probably about 13,000 drunk-ass people in one giant room, and 2,000 or so beers to choose from (or less, actually, since they tend to run out of some stuff by the last session).

We did one round of sampling, started to feel funny, and got cheesesteaks. Then more sampling, followed by rice cakes. I stuck mostly with dark beers throughout the night (lots of coffee porters, mmm), and a lot of IPAs but kinda got tired of those after a while. There were just so many breweries and beers. Tried to go with ones I'd never heard of and ones that sounded interesting/unique.

Anyway, then we did more sampling, followed by a trip to the merch booth, which was overwhelingly huge. After standing in line for about ten minutes and finally deciding on a pair of "I  :heart hops" underwear, I got up to the front of the line only to see a woman take down the last pair for someone two in front of me  >:( :'(
At this point I was drunk and overwhelmed with the selection, so I just decided on some Raging Bitch panties instead, which I then proceeded to put on over my jeans and leave on for the rest of the night. More sampling, and time really flew. Suddenly the guy we were talking to told us last call was coming, so we found a promising-looking booth and I closed it out with an amazing sour (will let you know what it was when I figure these notes out :lol)

Then my damn roommate got us tangled up with some guys (from Jersey, of course) who wanted to go to a bar and were probably hoping for us to come home with them based on the way the one was talking to Kim (but she was too drunk to realize what was going on, I think). I was not drinking any more, so we got to the (very crowded) bar, broke free from them by going to the bathroom, and bolted... to a gyro stand, mmm.
Found the train station somehow, made friends with a brewer on the train, then went into a bar to wait for a cab like two miles from our place... where there was karaoke, and we danced like morons, and the DJ asked if I was a superhero because of my underwear (which of course I forgot about until he mentioned)... until these three women started singing Bohemian Rhapsody and pulled us on stage, where we belted it out with them until Kim got a call for the taxi and we ran off stage right after singing "Just gotta get right out of heeere"

Took the cab home, Kim made pizza, fell asleep with half a slice on my chest, woke up, ate it, went to sleep, woke up at 9 am still kinda drunk, went back to sleep, and woke up to a nightmare feeling surprisingly good, except for the phlegm I was coughing up. At least I ate enough to leave my stomach in good condition  :D

Oh, and I woke up with a blue mustache on my finger.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #343 on: September 21, 2010, 11:40:56 PM »
BUMP

sounds like a pretty epic time Jackie, now make with the beer talk :P

tonight was the last of a four pack of Duvel (seriously, fucking love that beer) and then a 750 mL bottle of Ommegang Zuur. It's a Flanders Brown Ale, so it's nice and malty and it has a bit of tartness to it. Very good, to say the least. My parents got back from a long weekend in Vegas tonight and they brought me back 11 bombers and a one liter bottle of beer, most of which doesn't make it out to the East Coast :D

I took off work tomorrow night (I guess tonight at this point) to attend a cooking class in Brooklyn that's being taught by Garrett Oliver of the Brooklyn Brewery, should be pretty fucking awesome :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #344 on: September 22, 2010, 07:03:12 AM »
Thanks for the reminder; I'll start translating tonight.

And I wanna hear those recipes.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: September 22, 2010, 07:57:27 AM »
I took off work tomorrow night (I guess tonight at this point) to attend a cooking class in Brooklyn that's being taught by Garrett Oliver of the Brooklyn Brewery, should be pretty fucking awesome

This sounds epic.  We'll need details.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #346 on: September 22, 2010, 12:40:32 PM »
Well, the website updated with the courses today, so I'll let you guys drool along with me for the next few hours :D

First course:Sauted Granny Smith apple and Goat Cheese Omelette paired with Brooklyner Weisse (bottle-conditioned version)

Second course: Linguine Carbonara paired with Brooklyn Local 2

Third course: Indian-spiced Crab Cake paired with Brooklyn East India Pale Ale

Fourth course: Boneless Quail stuffed with Foie Gras and Black Truffle, Balsamic demi-glace paired with Brooklyn Wild 1

Fifth course: Black Ops Ice Cream Float

Brooklyn Wild 1 is a wild ale version of Brooklyn's Local 1. The yeast they were having delivered to ferment a batch of Local 1 got held up in transit, which damaged it. They used it anyway and the resulting beer, while good, wasn't quite Local 1. They racked that batch into barrels for a few months and hit it with some wild yeast and/or souring bacteria and bottled it. It was never released though, only makes appearances at select events that Garrett Oliver is appearing at
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: September 22, 2010, 02:08:55 PM »
Well, the website updated with the courses today, so I'll let you guys drool along with me for the next few hours :D

First course:Sauted Granny Smith apple and Goat Cheese Omelette paired with Brooklyner Weisse (bottle-conditioned version)

Second course: Linguine Carbonara paired with Brooklyn Local 2

Third course: Indian-spiced Crab Cake paired with Brooklyn East India Pale Ale

Fourth course: Boneless Quail stuffed with Foie Gras and Black Truffle, Balsamic demi-glace paired with Brooklyn Wild 1

Fifth course: Black Ops Ice Cream Float

Brooklyn Wild 1 is a wild ale version of Brooklyn's Local 1. The yeast they were having delivered to ferment a batch of Local 1 got held up in transit, which damaged it. They used it anyway and the resulting beer, while good, wasn't quite Local 1. They racked that batch into barrels for a few months and hit it with some wild yeast and/or souring bacteria and bottled it. It was never released though, only makes appearances at select events that Garrett Oliver is appearing at

I'll never do this.  It's too good.  I'm already way too fat to splurge like that for a course.  You'll need to join a gym after taking this course.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #348 on: September 22, 2010, 05:29:35 PM »
Most of that sounds awesome, I seriously want recipes.. except for the quail/foie gras, ewww

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #349 on: September 22, 2010, 10:15:41 PM »
Fucking incredible, the whole night. The beer, the food, Garrett (:heart). There were only 16 of us, and the class ran an hour more than it should have. We also got some Local 1 right at the beginning to "get some booze in you so you don't get fidgety while I talk and cook the first dish" :lol Thank God they're working on a commercial release version of Wild 1, because it's among the best wild ales I've had in my life. The tart funkiness of the brettanomyces and the bourbon/vanilla flavors from the Woodford Reserve barrel aging melded totally into each other, and it took me most of the glass to tease them apart and appreciate them separately. I am not worthy (I'm scum) :hefdaddy
Photobucket sucks.