Author Topic: The Beer Thread: Mach 2  (Read 99192 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: The Beer Thread: Mach 2
« Reply #175 on: June 19, 2010, 02:21:27 PM »
Bill, I desperately need a list of as many of your favorite beers as possible since I'm heading to a beer emporium to stock up. Here are some requests:

-pale ales
-saisons(never had one and based on your constant smileing over them I'm more than intrigued)
-smoked beer if you've had any
-gueuze(really wanna try out)
-IPA
-trippels(never had yet, curious to see if there are any with notes of plum or cherry[not like a lambic but as in a subtle hint])
-barley wines

I hope you've got some bills in that wallet BF for the heaven you will enter.  You should check out the Beer Advocate web page. It's the best.

Thanks KSM. Well ya know I'd prefer to call you "shmeg" since it's a pain to fully type your name and I'd mean it more as a playful jest and not at all as a jab. I say this because "King" and "land" are both very run of the mill words by themselves but we all know you're the lone person on this forum with some shmeg in you. So for the record what is your preferred abbreviation?

Btw, I just cracked open a Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA and it's the closest any beer I've tried this year has come to New Belgium's Ranger IPA in terms of overall taste and quality. Very nice.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #176 on: June 19, 2010, 02:24:13 PM »
You can do any. It doesn't bother me! :laugh:  It a reference to Rush when they recorded Power Windows so the meaning isn't what people think! ;D
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

• DT.net Member
« Reply #177 on: June 19, 2010, 02:25:51 PM »
You can do any. It doesn't bother me! :laugh:  It a reference to Rush when they recorded Power Windows so the meaning isn't what people think! ;D

Yeah, I remember you saying it was an impromptu alias conjured by Alex, yes?

Oh, cool. I just realized I surpassed you in ePenor size via higher postcount  :lol

*races to see who's next*
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: June 19, 2010, 02:31:59 PM »
It's not the size of your post count, It's how you use it! Oh wait that's for........
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

• DT.net Member
« Reply #179 on: June 19, 2010, 02:42:15 PM »
It's not the size of your post count, It's how you use it! Oh wait that's for........

The art of Bansai :neverusethis:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: June 19, 2010, 02:49:49 PM »

The art of Bansai :neverusethis:

I'm married, I don't have to manscape anymore, :laugh: but it does immigrate north.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #181 on: June 20, 2010, 09:22:42 PM »
Just went to Total Wine(Fantastic store btw  :metal ) and got these:

Sam Adams:

Imperial White(Not bad but like their Double Bock did a poor job of integrating the high alcohol content gracefully...chemically harsh but acceptable)

Imperial Stout(Tasty firm and thick{insert innuendo here}...I enjoyed it a fair bit as it was very malty and smoother than Velvet Jones)

Highland:

St. Terese's Pale Ale
Black Mocha Stout

Flying Dog:

Double Dog Double Pale Ale
Kerberos Tripel
Horn Dog Barley Wine

Red Hook:

these two are limited releases

8-4-1 Expedition Brown Ale
Tripel

All single entries from this point forward

New Belgium 1554 Enlightened Black Ale
Young's Luxury Double Chocolate Stout
Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA
Fort Collins Chocolate Stout
Unibroue Don De Dieu Triple Wheat Ale
Thomas Creek Orange Blossom Pilsner(Diamond in the rough; the cartoony label had me fearing "gimmick" but it was upliftingly fruity with definite citrus and the honey-although subtle-was as good a role player as Derek Fisher)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #182 on: June 20, 2010, 09:58:48 PM »
Bill, I desperately need a list of as many of your favorite beers as possible since I'm heading to a beer emporium to stock up. Here are some requests:

-pale ales
-saisons(never had one and based on your constant smileing over them I'm more than intrigued)
-smoked beer if you've had any
-gueuze(really wanna try out)
-IPA
-trippels(never had yet, curious to see if there are any with notes of plum or cherry[not like a lambic but as in a subtle hint])
-barley wines

seriously, king nailed it when he said to check out beer advocate. On the left side you'll see a link that says "beer styles", and from there choosing any style will let you see the most often reviewed beers of that style and, if you follow a link on that page, the best reviewed beers of that style. It'll be hard for me to make a ton of recommendations since I'm not sure where you're living and even if I did, I probably won't have a great idea of what's distributed in your area. That said...

Pale Ale: I'm going to assume you mean american pale ale (in the style of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale). I haven't had many, but Southern Tier's Pale is good (though potent enough both in ABV and hop flavor to be a full fledged IPA imo) and I had my first Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues tonight and enjoyed it.

Saison: Saison Dupont is the beer that defines the saison style, it is to saison what Master of Puppets is to 80s thrash. It's bottled in green glass bottles though, so make sure if you buy it you do so from a place that cares about beer, because those color bottles skunk much easier than the traditional brown ones. Ommegang Hennepin is also a classic, from one of the best Belgian style breweries in the country.

I've never really explored smoked beer, but Weyerbacher makes a winter seasonal called Fireside Ale that's a smoked beer and I thought wasn't bad.

Gueze is kind of hard to say, because most of the traditional brewers of gueze are small Belgian breweries that don't really make it into the country. Girardin and Cantillon are probably the best known producers, and Cantillon is very well respected on the BA forums.

IPA: I'm going to assume you mean American IPAs, and probably lump a few double IPAs in there two. First of all, Russian River IPAs = God, Pliny the Elder and Blind Pig are the shit. Smuttynose makes a regular IPA (says "FinestKind" on the bottle) and the Big A Double IPA, and they're both solid beers. Ballast Point's Sculpin is pretty good too. Sierra Nevada makes Torpedo, which they describe as an "extra IPA", somewhere between an IPA and a double, and is pretty good. One general difference within the style is that west coast brewers tend to have more hop dominated beers (Russian River, Stone IPA/Ruination) while east coast brewers tend to have a bit more balance with the malt (Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA)

Tripels can be good, but I doubt you'd find much in the way of plum or cherry in them as they use mostly pale malt and candi sugar, while dubbels and quads tend to be darker and correspondingly have more of a dark fruit flavor. Chimay White is a tripel and pretty good from what I remember, and Allagash makes a tripel as well (though I haven't had it, but they're generally regarded as one of the top producers of Belgian style ales in the country.

Barleywines generally fall into two categories, American and English. American styles are super hoppy and bitter (think a total hop bomb double IPA with comparatively focus on hop bitterness than hop flavor and more of a malt backbone) and Sierra Nevada Bigfoot, Stone Old Guardian, Dogfish Head Olde School and Rogue Old Crustacean are probably the most well known/widely distributed versions of the style. English style Barleywines still have a good amount of hops, but that's only to balance out the *huge* malt presence. These aren't as common here, but Brooklyn's Monster Ale and Anchor's Old Foghorn are both English barleywines, as is Weyerbacher's Blithering Idiot (though I prefer the barrel aged version of this one, Insanity). In general I can enjoy American Barleywines fresh (I like fresh Old Guardian, but Olde School is too boozy for me when it's young), but I think they're really something special with a few years of age on them when the hops fade and the malt flavors meld together and come forward. I had a 5 year old Olde School Monday night that just about made me cream in my shorts.  

Also, American Craft Beer Fest was *epic*, as was all of Boston Beer Week. I was so fried when I got home last night that I  started typing this reply last night and then got up mid sentence and went to bed :lol I'll give an ACBF recap tomorrow
Photobucket sucks.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #183 on: June 20, 2010, 10:44:31 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback Billiam. I'm really stoked about my haul from today and I'll be sure to return to the store later this week to put your suggestions to good use.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #184 on: June 21, 2010, 08:12:10 PM »
had a rare treat tonight (late this afternoon) when me and a buddy I made at the American Craft Beer Fest found out that a bar near my apartment was going to have Aventinus Eisbock on tap. Aventinus is a wheat bock, and it's delicious (and probably readily available at many good beer stores). Aventinus Eisbock is a freeze-distilled, concentrated version of it (8.2% jumps to 12% ABV), and as one might expect, is just concentrated tastiness. It can be difficult to find in bottles, and I've *never* heard of it being on tap before (for example, the beer has 740 reviews on Beer Advocate where the serving type was bottle and only 20 tap reviews), so despite the group meeting I had to go to for school later that night we had to hit up Publick House to grab a glass. It made me weak in the knees, so god damn sweet and malty and drinkable for 12%. Now I'm home and I just had a Hennepin and I'm contemplating what to have as a nightcap.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #185 on: June 21, 2010, 08:18:31 PM »
I realize that fruity wheat beers aren't most people here cup of tea, but I just needed to update everyone on the kiwi-strawberry beer I started at the beginning of this thread.  It's fucking unbelievable.  I would be more than willing to share the recipe to any other homebrewers.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #186 on: June 21, 2010, 08:20:25 PM »
update/recipe plz. I planned on trying to do a strawberry hefeweizen for next summer
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: June 21, 2010, 08:25:13 PM »
update/recipe plz. I planned on trying to do a strawberry hefeweizen for next summer

I'm thirsty and that sounds like a great beer to drink when it's hot out.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #188 on: June 21, 2010, 08:28:38 PM »
yup, I'd try it this summer but I'm not doing any more brews in my apartment as my IPA currently fermenting is undoubtedly going to suffer from lack of temperature control, and when I get home in August I plan on brewing a barleywine and imperial stout to start aging for the winter
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: June 21, 2010, 08:35:50 PM »
You going to any Jets games this year.  I always shock my friends with the beers I drink.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #190 on: June 21, 2010, 08:41:28 PM »
nothing planned, I am and will continue to be a very poor individual for the next little while :lol (not poor in the real sense of the word, but not much in the way of extra money), I still haven't even been to the new Yankee Stadium. I can only hope either my uncle gets tickets through work and has one for me (he took me to a Jets-Patriots MNF game at the old Giants stadium in his company's luxury box a few years ago :hat), or I can convince my dad to splurge on tickets for us.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: June 22, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
Axeman - check your PM for the recipe I used.

It's still hella good.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: June 23, 2010, 08:09:38 AM »
Axeman - check your PM for the recipe I used.

It's still hella good.

dreamtheatervt, are you going th the Palladium show?  If so, you could meet up with axe and I for some tasty brews and then meet with the others at the irish bar.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: June 23, 2010, 12:16:16 PM »
I planned on going to the meetup, so I'll see you two there.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #194 on: June 23, 2010, 12:24:13 PM »
much obliged for the recipe. I'm not sure if I'll get to experiment with strawberries or not this summer, but I think I'm leaning more towards a strawberry hefe, always good to see how people are using fruit though.

last night I started with a Smuttynose Summer Weizen, which was a bit underwhelming, and then made up for it with my one bottle of Russian River Consecration. It's a dark, wild ale that had currants added to the barrels while it was aging, quite tasty. I cracked my one bottle of Kentucky Breakfast with breakfast this morning for the USA game, and it was good, but there was a bit of alcohol heat that I didn't find in the two draft pours I had.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #195 on: June 24, 2010, 09:33:56 AM »
last night began with a 21st Amendment Brew Free or Die IPA which was a fairly good beer, but not at all the American IPA that it purports itself to be. Afterwards I cracked open a bomber of White Birch Tripel, and the taste was somewhat off but it was still a well crafted beer and just missed being great
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #196 on: June 25, 2010, 01:14:24 AM »

last night I started with a Smuttynose Summer Weizen, which was a bit underwhelming, and then made up for it with my one bottle of Russian River Consecration. It's a dark, wild ale that had currants added to the barrels while it was aging, quite tasty.

Oh god I loved that one. Almost bought a bottle recently but it's so expensive.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #197 on: June 25, 2010, 09:35:40 PM »
I received it in a trade from the west coast, that and four Pliny the Elders. One of these days  I'm gonna get my hands on some of their other wild ales
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #198 on: June 27, 2010, 12:35:31 PM »
I hit a bar yesterday afternoon for the World Cup game and had a Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA, Allagash Curieux, and Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. All were delicious, though the BCS arrived at the exact moment Ghana scored their goal in extra time, so it may be a while before I can bear to drink that one again :lol Later on last night I had one of my homebrew saisons and then my last bottle of Pliny the Elder
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: June 27, 2010, 01:09:37 PM »
My nephew is tung 21 this week and he wants me to take him to Sunset.  Win for him and me!

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #200 on: June 27, 2010, 01:15:17 PM »
that's awesome :metal Looks like they have some good stuff on right now
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: June 27, 2010, 01:16:36 PM »
that's awesome :metal Looks like they have some good stuff on right now

We'll see how he likes it after I get him smashed. :laugh:

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #202 on: June 27, 2010, 01:18:28 PM »
:lol :lol well played
Photobucket sucks.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #203 on: June 27, 2010, 06:36:48 PM »
So my friends and brother are teaching me more about alcohol and the most particularly awesome types. Old Peculiar remains my favourite beer, with Corona a quite distinct second. I'm drinking a concoction of 50% red wine, 50% port from my work (i'm a waiter), and it is tasteeee, thought admittedly not a beer, but there is no general alcohol appreciation thread.

I still cannot believe that the age is 21 for drinking in America, and that the federal government pushed it through to the resistant states by pretty much blackmail. What's up with that?

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #204 on: June 27, 2010, 09:12:07 PM »
it's pretty lame, but I would say a huge majority of Americans are drinking before 21.

king, not sure if you're going to Sunset like this week with newly-legal-nephew, but if you go there and they still have Pretty Things Field Mouse's Farewell one of you *must* order a glass. The grain bill is perfectly balanced between barley, rye, wheat, and oats, it really is a beautiful beer. Brooklyn Buzz Bomb is also pretty interesting, it's a braggot, meaning a large part (25%) of the fermentable sugars came from honey, and it's somewhat spiced. Very easy drinking beer for the summer, despite the 8%ABV
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: June 28, 2010, 08:11:40 AM »
it's pretty lame, but I would say a huge majority of Americans are drinking before 21.

king, not sure if you're going to Sunset like this week with newly-legal-nephew, but if you go there and they still have Pretty Things Field Mouse's Farewell one of you *must* order a glass. The grain bill is perfectly balanced between barley, rye, wheat, and oats, it really is a beautiful beer. Brooklyn Buzz Bomb is also pretty interesting, it's a braggot, meaning a large part (25%) of the fermentable sugars came from honey, and it's somewhat spiced. Very easy drinking beer for the summer, despite the 8%ABV

He's hard to pin down but we'll see. Thanks for the info. I hope he wants to go this weekend.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #206 on: July 05, 2010, 06:33:08 PM »
BUMP

while I was home in between summer sessions I primarily spent my time on Duvel (it's a classic for a reason) and Weyerbacher's Merry Monks' Ale tripel (not bad, but a little harsh if served cold). I also had a bomber of Stone IPA the other night, very good and nice to have an IPA that's not a citrus bomb for once. I came back up to Boston earlier today and bottled homebrew batch 2, an IPA (honestly, I don't have high hopes for it, it fermented *way* too hot and will probably have a somewhat strong unpleasant alcohol taste, we'll see though), and I've had another Duvel and a homebrew so far. Maybe going to crack a Merry Monks', but definitely leaving room for a bomber of Imperial Stout Trooper tonight.

heading to Sunset for the World Cup semi final tomorrow afternoon. King, you make it there yet with your nephew?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: July 05, 2010, 07:32:43 PM »
BUMP

while I was home in between summer sessions I primarily spent my time on Duvel (it's a classic for a reason) and Weyerbacher's Merry Monks' Ale tripel (not bad, but a little harsh if served cold). I also had a bomber of Stone IPA the other night, very good and nice to have an IPA that's not a citrus bomb for once. I came back up to Boston earlier today and bottled homebrew batch 2, an IPA (honestly, I don't have high hopes for it, it fermented *way* too hot and will probably have a somewhat strong unpleasant alcohol taste, we'll see though), and I've had another Duvel and a homebrew so far. Maybe going to crack a Merry Monks', but definitely leaving room for a bomber of Imperial Stout Trooper tonight.

heading to Sunset for the World Cup semi final tomorrow afternoon. King, you make it there yet with your nephew?

No, we are going the last week of July. We are on vacation and he doesn't have to hang all night with the old fogies. :laugh:

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #208 on: July 06, 2010, 09:00:40 PM »
I headed over to Sunset for the World Cup semifinal today and had a Brooklyn Buzz Bomb (very drinkable for the summer, the large amount of honey results in a thin body), Pretty Things American Darling (crisp, flavorful craft answer to a macro lager), Southern Tier Back Burner Barleywine (solid barleywine, and a steal at $4.99 for a tulip glass full of it), and Allagash Victor (very unique, takes on a certain acidity from the use of grapes). Tonight I had a Great Divide Belgica Belgian IPA (a bit weakly flavored to be honest) and now a Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary Charlie, Fred, and Ken's Imperial Boch (very nice, spicy  hop flavor and very clean)
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #209 on: July 07, 2010, 12:13:05 AM »
I think that Belgica stuff was the guest beer at my favorite Denver bar but I never tried it because I was in love with their tripel and they brought the silverback smoked porter back  :metal

Hey Bill, ended up in your territory tonight. Drove by Holsten's by accident (took a wrong turn) to get to a bar in Montclair. Had my first Long Trail in ages (lt ale and double bag.,. oh goddammit typing properly is killingh me right now fuck this
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.